ValentinBk (DayZ)

Are wounds and puddles still coming?

Hey guys, I remembered today a dev blog I read a long while back (probably more than an year ago) that got me really excited. The blog mentioned wounds that will be caused by gunfire and melee hits, blood puddles that will be the visual response for bleeding, keeping bodies for as long as possible (server load, and all that stuff) and decaying flesh.

I've been semi-following the dev blogs and haven't seen any mention of those features since, has anything else been said about that stuff?

Below is a screenshot I took of the dev blog back when it came out, couldn't find it on the forum now (might have something to do with the new forum)

https://i.imgur.com/QKOccjj.jpg

This hasn't been referenced in a long long time.

They did show the updated decals for textures on the map recently, and those looked great.

Only slightly related.... We also recently saw some preliminary scarring features, which came off when the character shaved his beard, but I'm sure that is WIP.

Hopefully scars can be made to correlate to the wounds you speak of....

in an SR, Peter, Eugen, or Brian mentioned that they can use the new system to insert all the things they have planned. We do not know what all this is, but it sounds good when they can say something like that.

Here you go: https://www.dayz.com/blog/status-report-24-may-2016

A lot of the stuff that's talked about in the SR are in relation to a new particle system (replacing the legacy one), which I don't think is currently implemented.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

It's important to separate the different blood-related elements into groups based around what parts of the code are involved, as each present different challenges to the devs. 

1. The player model  showing the location and number of wounds.
  2. The current 'fountains of blood spewing from your body' animation 
  3. Blood trails and pools of blood on the ground/terrain/floor.

#1 seems like something that seems reasonably achievable, even if it's just limited at first to a generic set of bloodstains and wounds appearing on the particular area that's been hit (limb/torso/head). As time goes on, a greater variety of wound types could be added based on the particular item that caused those wounds. For example, someone killed by an axe or sword might look different than a gunshot wound, or a visible difference between someone shot in the head vs. someone who decided to do so themselves.

#2 certainly needs to be addressed, and it appears the devs are working on something to replace it. 

#3 is something very different from the others, and perhaps the most challenging one of them all. Instead of a change to a particular part of an existing player model, or an animation attached to it, pools and trails of blood are things that would have to be placed into the game as a separate object (for the pool) or a series of separate objects (for the trail). That's a lot of new stuff for the server to spawn, despawn, and track that it never had to before, no matter how long the 'lifespan' of those things are, when you consider that even if the client has to only handle the blood within X meters of the player, the server has to handle it across all clients on the server. If a workable solution were to be found, this also would offer a way to handle other things like tracks and footprints in the snow from players, vehicles, and wildlife on maps with snow. We do already have a very limited form of this with vehicle trails, and back in the A2 DayZ Namalsk mod, those invisible Bloodsuckers would leave tracks in the snow, but they only lasted a few seconds before disappearing. However, I suspect that those methods may not be feasible ways to go about handling blood pools and trails.

1 hour ago, chambersenator said:

It's important to separate the different blood-related elements into groups based around what parts of the code are involved, as each present different challenges to the devs. 

1. The player model  showing the location and number of wounds.
  2. The current 'fountains of blood spewing from your body' animation 
  3. Blood trails and pools of blood on the ground/terrain/floor.

#1 seems like something that seems reasonably achievable, even if it's just limited at first to a generic set of bloodstains and wounds appearing on the particular area that's been hit (limb/torso/head). As time goes on, a greater variety of wound types could be added based on the particular item that caused those wounds. For example, someone killed by an axe or sword might look different than a gunshot wound, or a visible difference between someone shot in the head vs. someone who decided to do so themselves.

#2 certainly needs to be addressed, and it appears the devs are working on something to replace it. 

#3 is something very different from the others, and perhaps the most challenging one of them all. Instead of a change to a particular part of an existing player model, or an animation attached to it, pools and trails of blood are things that would have to be placed into the game as a separate object (for the pool) or a series of separate objects (for the trail). That's a lot of new stuff for the server to spawn, despawn, and track that it never had to before, no matter how long the 'lifespan' of those things are, when you consider that even if the client has to only handle the blood within X meters of the player, the server has to handle it across all clients on the server. If a workable solution were to be found, this also would offer a way to handle other things like tracks and footprints in the snow from players, vehicles, and wildlife on maps with snow. We do already have a very limited form of this with vehicle trails, and back in the A2 DayZ Namalsk mod, those invisible Bloodsuckers would leave tracks in the snow, but they only lasted a few seconds before disappearing. However, I suspect that those methods may not be feasible ways to go about handling blood pools and trails.

Actually it's very likely that #1 and #3 will (or at least could) be done in the exact same way -- render passes for example. To put it simply, you use the point of impact (or directly below a player/corpse) to calculate the position for a blood decal to be combined with the original texture before rendering on the screen, and BAM, dynamic blood splatters on any surface. No spawning of objects necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Actually it's very likely that #1 and #3 will (or at least could) be done in the exact same way -- render passes. To put it simply, you use the point of impact (or directly below a player/corpse) to position a blood decal to be combined with the original texture before rendering on the screen, and BAM, dynamic blood splatters on any surface. No spawning of objects necessary.

Interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing how all the new code will open up all sorts of possibilities that have not been so easy to do with the legacy code. It will no doubt take me some time to adjust my mindset to that, and not have to think of things in terms of a series of fights/workarounds vs. the old legacy code. 

On 10/23/2017 at 2:07 AM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Here you go: https://www.dayz.com/blog/status-report-24-may-2016

A lot of the stuff that's talked about in the SR are in relation to a new particle system (replacing the legacy one), which I don't think is currently implemented.

Was wondering if there's any news on that, that SR got me very interested

Edited by ValentinBk (DayZ)

46 minutes ago, ValentinBk (DayZ) said:

Was wondering if there's any news on that, that SR got me very interested

Small update to my last post; The new particle system is being used in 0.63 (dev pointed out the new fireplace fire/smoke effects as an example during Gamescom), but blood puddles or wounds weren't a thing yet so it'll probably be implemented later. The needed tech is now in there at least.

• Like 1

To anyone who played the 0.63 stress tests, is any of that stuff in? I remember seeing a bunch of vids with blood stains that appear after a character took a hit, but is there anything beyond it now?

Aside from blood decals from guns on player model,  bruising/blood on the face or body from melee fights would be awesome. Not just one black eye, but progressions to severely beaten or swollen. 

On 26/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Small update to my last post; The new particle system is being used in 0.63 (dev pointed out the new fireplace fire/smoke effects as an example during Gamescom), but blood puddles or wounds weren't a thing yet so it'll probably be implemented later. The needed tech is now in there at least.

I recall (from a few years back) that trails of blood were to be a part of the broader mechanics of animal tracking. Do you perchance have any more up-to-date info on this issue?

17 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I recall (from a few years back) that trails of blood were to be a part of the broader mechanics of animal tracking. Do you perchance have any more up-to-date info on this issue?

Sorry but I don't know.

1 hour ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Sorry but I don't know.

Ok, cheers. They've been silent about it since they announced hiring a team from another game specifically about hunting. This was many, many years ago...