SeizLex

Grass,that was on exp.branch .62 patch.

Hello! I Hello! I want to ask you about the grass, of course I will seem to you a person who believes that it was better before, but here it really is. The grass what was in exp.branch .62 to be actually better, it was not as colorful as it is now, it was absolutely normal. I mean field grass, but grass in the forests is absolutely normal, but still it would be worthwhile not to change much, not to do so green. Just now, the dais seems multicolored, without the atmosphere and the atmosphere of autumn (I mean the grass, the trees are made perfectly) Too much color. DayZ does not seem like a game about the zombie apocalypse in the fall, but it seems like a game about the iridescent atmosphere and with bright colors, rather than a depressing atmosphere.

What i mean concretely:

https://itmag.es/5IMA1

https://itmag.es/3WYM4

https://itmag.es/4gzb4

https://itmag.es/387zE

https://itmag.es/6iy9e

• Like 1

Those images are really beautiful. Nice job!

I have experienced some pretty depressing and awful places and the thing is...nature really doesn't care much about how I feel. It does what it does, and it looks the way it looks. We find beauty in silence, and the in the overall complexity of nature in ways that change from person to person, but the world of Chenarus has not been decimated by attacks from heavy bombers, strikes from artillery barrages, defoliation chemicals, and general all-out land warfare.

The towns and cities are starting to look pretty darn "realistic" in the way they convey the sense of abandonment and danger...but the forests and open country really don't "need" to look this way.

Personally, I hope the final game looks like those images you posted...so I can travel into built up areas for some depressing, bleak and generally dangerous gameplay and then retreat away from those areas where the ambience is safe and beautiful. The duality of those experiences would be the perfect result.

6 minutes ago, philbur said:

Those images are really beautiful. Nice job!

I have experienced some pretty depressing and awful places and the thing is...nature really doesn't care much about how I feel. It does what it does, and it looks the way it looks. We find beauty in silence, and the in the overall complexity of nature in ways that change from person to person, but the world of Chenarus has not been decimated by attacks from heavy bombers, strikes from artillery barrages, defoliation chemicals, and general all-out land warfare.

The towns and cities are starting to look pretty darn "realistic" in the way they convey the sense of abandonment and danger...but the forests and open country really don't "need" to look this way.

Personally, I hope the final game looks like those images you posted...so I can travel into built up areas for some depressing, bleak and generally dangerous gameplay and then retreat away from those areas where the ambience is safe and beautiful. The duality of those experiences would be the perfect result.

What? These images was on exp.branch of DayZ,from official developers. And what are you think about turn back this grass? And do you like that grass,what was before (that grass,what on images)?

I don't feel the same way. I always feel there is an interesting juxtaposition of the calm and dominating beauty of nature in the game and the horrific actions of players and "mankind" in dayz. This is what i feel the vanilla dayz experience should be like, but i'm sure a lot of people would like to experience different atmospheres and i'm sure that will happen when more maps are added along with modding.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeizLex said:

What? These images was on exp.branch of DayZ,from official developers. And what are you think about turn back this grass? And do you like that grass,what was before (that grass,what on images)?

OK....Wherever those images came from, they convey to "me" a perfect representation of how the countryside should look.

The grass is maybe a bit too consistent and might need some wildflower patches and dried scrub brushes....but it generally looks pretty damn good.

So yes....the grass and general appearance I those images are what I personally would like to see in the final release.

The devs have changed a lot of these textures and colors over the last few releases and I imagine there are still a few more major palette adjustments (and lighting behaviors) to go before the game "feels" good to them.

Its good to offer our opinions on this stuff either way so the devs can best decide what appeals to the majority.

9 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

I don't feel the same way. I always feel there is an interesting juxtaposition of the calm and dominating beauty of nature in the game and the horrific actions of players and "mankind" in dayz. This is what i feel the vanilla dayz experience should be like, but i'm sure a lot of people would like to experience different atmospheres and i'm sure that will happen when more maps are added along with modding.

Yep. I would welcome a new map that was very much an evolution of maybe Lingor Island...or perhaps just a vast Gotham-esque city map...where it rarely gets light and rarely has any form of "warm and fuzzy" atmosphere.

Time will tell....but odds are there are just as many map authors out there that go for the Book of Eli stuff as those that go for more realistic natural ambiance.

Okey,Guys. But DayZ was really have grim atmosphere when was before .60 patch. And this is was awesome. But anyway,do you like grass,that was on exp.branch,rather than now? I like more grass that was on exp.branch.

I mean that grass today - multi-colored, but not green-gray, which was on exp.branch, and this grass  ( what now using((colors)) ) are..is sorry for this word - sh*t. I wanted to return the grass, which was on exp.branch.

Edited by SeizLex

I'm sorry but I don't want to confuse what you are saying. Your doing a good job of trying to communicate in English and I respect you for that...but can you maybe just post two images with one being what you consider to be your preferred style of textures and the other how you don't like?

I think I am on the same page as you but just want to be clear. Thanks.

There were countless updates for grass color matching, so I don't think it will be rolled back, and I see no problem with it, except that it stops being rendered a few meters away, and it is pointless to use as a coverage.

8 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

There were countless updates for grass color matching, so I don't think it will be rolled back, and I see no problem with it, except that it stops being rendered a few meters away, and it is pointless to use as a coverage.

It was only 1 update wasn't it?

Agree, on my screen, the grass and trees look a little too colorful most of the time. I don't think its bad, just doesn't always feel like a real world. Im not looking for ugly or "literally" depressing, but like STALKER or.... ARMA 2 (pic below) would be good, or push it in that direction a little maybe. A lot of the graphics in this game feel like very typical "computer game art" to me. Rocks are very white in places, paint isn't faded in color and is still bright color, grass is super green, trees are all sorts of very bright colors.. Color is fine, it just doesn't seem cohesive sometimes. I do miss the variation in Arma 2 grass. I like the over grown look better and i hope they keep going with it, having grass and plants cover entire sheds, but think it needs more breakup in the way it varies. A programmer could really help here. I think they also should get a programmer to code variations of car paint and house texture and colors within a specified range.

dayz-gallery_p4.jpg

I think the entire screen gets a slight blue tint as a post process effect in standalone too. The difference between my character in the menu screen and in the game makes it look that way.

EDIT: Also, i thought i remember grass getting thicker and taller the further out in the wilderness you got, i don't think we have that now either. Maybe it makes sense, maybe not.

day_z_30.jpg

Edited by libertine

@libertine Oh yea dayz mod's color palette was really good. It gave you a really good sense of dark, apocalyptic atmosphere not to mention the blur post process effect that made you feel super claustrophobic (which was good).

But i'm not sure what direction the devs wanted to take Chernarus to whether it be something like the mod or something new. I'd be happy with either but also I would think we'd be able to experience more atmospheres when modding and new maps are added.

Edited by DannyDog