ErebusAmarande

Abusing admin powers?

So, just a quick questions, and wondering if its against the terms and conditions of owning a server.

So I was playing on a server for a few weeks, and asked the admin a simple question when he got extremely rude and offensive. He then proceeded to ban me from their server.

So, is this against Terms and Conditions? I have the conversation this..."admin" had with me if needed.

Edited by ErebusAmarande
Their server....not his.

Go ahead and have a look at the posted "Terms and Conditions" and see if your issue is covered in there somewhere. Simple.

I read the "Terms and Conditions" and I read the "Dos and Don'ts", I wasn't asking what they are, I know admins are allowed to ban and kick players from their servers. As I said, the ban he issued was unjust, so maybe my question wasn't worded right. Are admins allowed to ban players from their servers for unjustified reasons?

1 minute ago, ErebusAmarande said:

I read the "Terms and Conditions" and I read the "Dos and Don'ts", I wasn't asking what they are, I know admins are allowed to ban and kick players from their servers. As I said, the ban he issued was unjust, so maybe my question wasn't worded right. Are admins allowed to ban players from their servers for unjustified reasons?

If it's a private server it's their server basically, so yeah they can do what they want.

They will end up with an empty server in the end if they abuse too much though.

• Like 1

Alright, thanks for the help, at this point, getting the ban revoked isn't even my concern, I have no interest in playing on a server that treats its payers in this manner. I will attach the conversation this so called "admin" had with me when I get home from work. I've also heard this is not the first time hes banned players for unjust reasons, and apparently hes also pretty friendly when it comes time to ask for money to help pay for his server. I've also been informed you can even appeal a ban on this server, if you're banned, that's it, you're done. Apparently none of the other admins even get a say in who gets banned or unbanned.

That's the best thing really, just move on and let them be. They aren't really worth the hassle if they don't run the server properly.

Properly is ofc subjective, but if they don't in your eyes, that's pretty much all the reason you need to move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

That's the best thing really, just move on and let them be. They aren't really worth the hassle if they don't run the server properly.

Properly is ofc subjective, but if they don't in your eyes, that's pretty much all the reason you need to move on.

As I said, I will share the conversation when I get home from work tonight. Its just a real shame that such a popular server is being monitored by such a toxic admin.

Thanks for the help.

9 minutes ago, ErebusAmarande said:

Alright, thanks for the help, at this point, getting the ban revoked isn't even my concern, I have no interest in playing on a server that treats its payers in this manner. I will attach the conversation this so called "admin" had with me when I get home from work. I've also heard this is not the first time hes banned players for unjust reasons, and apparently hes also pretty friendly when it comes time to ask for money to help pay for his server. I've also been informed you can even appeal a ban on this server, if you're banned, that's it, you're done. Apparently none of the other admins even get a say in who gets banned or unbanned.

Please do not post the conversation. I'm sorry to hear you've encountered a seemingly abusive admin, but the forum is not a place to report them. Please re-read the forum's guidelines.

2 minutes ago, ErebusAmarande said:

As I said, I will share the conversation when I get home from work tonight. Its just a real shame that such a popular server is being monitored by such a toxic admin.

Thanks for the help.

No problem, don't share it if that makes it clear who it is though, then we're suddenly into naming and shaming. That's usually a big no no on forums.

Edited by Gobbokirk
Ninja Nina!

1 minute ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Please do not post the conversation. I'm sorry to hear you've encountered a seemingly abusive admin, but the forum is not a place to report them. Please re-read the forum's guidelines.

I was merely going to post a screenshot of the conversation in a link. Not the actual conversation itself.

I will blur out the names if this is the case, so no one can see who it is.

Edited by ErebusAmarande
Edit

22 minutes ago, ErebusAmarande said:

I was merely going to post a screenshot of the conversation in a link. Not the actual conversation itself.

I will blur out the names if this is the case, so no one can see who it is.

Posting a link isn't any different, please do not post any private conversations in any form.

If this was a public hive server, the admin needs to have just cause. If you believe there was no just cause, make a report as instructed here.
If it was a private hive server, the admin can ban anyone for any reason -- even no reason.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

It was indeed a private server, I noticed in the terms that admins are allowed to ban/kick players from their servers, its just ridiculous that they are allowed to do it without any just reasons, obviously his server will begin to build a bad reputation sooner or later. So then I suppose this comes down to the following;

How do we make the community aware of the fact that there is a toxic admin running this server? I can edit the conversation I had with this admin, so that no one sees either of our names, nor any personal information? Or do we just hope that the players will read this post and not join the server? 

2 minutes ago, ErebusAmarande said:

It was indeed a private server, I noticed in the terms that admins are allowed to ban/kick players from their servers, its just ridiculous that they are allowed to do it without any just reasons, obviously his server will begin to build a bad reputation sooner or later. So then I suppose this comes down to the following;

How do we make the community aware of the fact that there is a toxic admin running this server? I can edit the conversation I had with this admin, so that no one sees either of our names, nor any personal information? Or do we just hope that the players will read this post and not join the server? 

We just have to let it play out naturally.

Once we start warning people we go down a slippery slope of false accusations and drama.
It would work in theory, but also in theory we wouldn't have this issue in the first place, so just got to move on.

Alright,well, thanks again for the help. I can only hope that players will see this post before thinking of investing time into this server. (Or money)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ErebusAmarande said:

So, just a quick questions, and wondering if its against the terms and conditions of owning a server.

So I was playing on a server for a few weeks, and asked the admin a simple question when he got extremely rude and offensive. He then proceeded to ban me from their server.

So, is this against Terms and Conditions? I have the conversation this..."admin" had with me if needed.

Do whatever you want, but if you want to add some loot etc via editing your DB to you inventory then do it. But anyway you should fix your mentality anyway.
Playing in a easy way not only will get you an advantage over other players, but also a disadvantage for yourself, you will get used to instant gear and forget how to play the game. It's just hacking in a legit way.

If you're making a server just to have control over your character and be the best ingame then it's just something wrong with you, means you're probably bad in the game, better work on your skills, learn and once you master you will feel atleast proud of your kills etc.
As a kid/teen i've created and owned Lineage 2 PvP server and did something like that, it was fun, but nothing glorious and nothing i would be proud of.

Edited by exacomvm

3 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

Do whatever you want, but if you want to add some loot etc via editing your DB to you inventory then do it. But anyway you should fix your mentality anyway.
Playing in a easy way not only will get you an advantage over other players, but also a disadvantage for yourself, you will get used to instant gear and forget how to play the game. It's just hacking in a legit way.

If you're making a server just to have control over your character and be the best ingame then it's just something wrong with you, means you're probably bad in the game, better work on your skills, learn and once you master you will feel atleast proud of your kills etc.
As a kid/teen i've created and owned Lineage 2 PvP server and did something like that, it was fun, but nothing glorious.

I understand your point of abusing your admin abilities to gain an unfair advantage over the other players. But this has nothing to do with the reason why I've created this post, no offence. 

I'm also pretty sure it is strictly against the "Terms and Conditions" if your server is private shard or not, to edit your servers data files, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but you would need to edit those files to add items to your inventory? 

small tip: avoid this server (or TS or forum etc.) and try your luck on an official server ... no one will ban or kick you. Since you can do everything you want, simply without security, that makes the game exciting.

On 10/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, ErebusAmarande said:

I understand your point of abusing your admin abilities to gain an unfair advantage over the other players. But this has nothing to do with the reason why I've created this post, no offence. 

I'm also pretty sure it is strictly against the "Terms and Conditions" if your server is private shard or not, to edit your servers data files, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but you would need to edit those files to add items to your inventory? 

Well that was my guess, i've never read any ToS and Terms and Conditions of any game, but as long as you run your own server i think you make rules there. For example you can add a rule in your server "Admin/Staff has right to modify servers data" so if players is ok with that you legally can add items to your character.
For example if a player is stuck or glitched you should have the right to modify his position in the database, so if you're allowed to do that i guess you're allowed to modify the database the way you want, because it's yours after all.

I might be wrong here ofcourse, but thats my opinion/perspective.

4 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Well that was my guess, i've never read any ToS and Terms and Conditions of any game, but as long as you run your own server i think you make rules there. For example you can add a rule in your server "Admin/Staff has right to modify servers data" so if players is ok with that you legally can add items to your character.
For example if a player is stuck or glitched you should have the right to modify his position in the database, so if you're allowed to do that i guess you're allowed to modify the database the way you want, because it's yours after all.

I might be wrong here ofcourse, but thats my opinion/perspective.

That's not really how things work, even if you wanted to explain things in a simplified way.

Whatever rules you have for your server don't protect you "legally" from anything, especially when you're renting a server from a provider. You have to abide by whatever rules are set in place by the developers AND the server provider. Bohemia even has strict rules on how you're allowed to monetize your server, regardless of whether you're renting or hosting it yourself.

Heck, just recently an inventory wipe was announced because there are players using items that are in the game files but not actually spawning, and they're planning to remove those files from the game to prevent people from getting them anymore. Clearly the devs aren't allowing people to do "whatever they want" even if they are server owners.

That said, you don't need to have an explicit rule on your server in order to give yourself items or teleport people around. When modding and better admin tools come to DayZ, you can just do it, but it might not be a good idea if you want to actually grow a community for your server. (it depends on what you do, obviously)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 2