NotMartha

Sounds cuts out with new headset. ONLY in DayZ?

I recently bought a Steelseries Arctis 7 headset and ever since I've started using it the sound from my game cuts out. This only happens with DayZ and no other games I play ( a lot of them). 

It happens after playing for a few minutes. It makes a pop sound as if I had unplugged a set of headphones and everything goes silent. If I alt+tab back in, my computer sounds are perfectly fine. Eventually after waiting a little bit the sound goes back on again. 

- All of my audio drivers are up to date.

- All of my sound settings in game have not changed other than switching my audio devices to my new headset. 

- I've never had anything similar to this problem ever with any other of the 3 headsets i've gone through since starting to play DayZ.

I've gone to Reddit for help in the past but have never gotten a solid answer and fix. I'm very desperate to get this working because I loved playing DayZ and want to hit 2000 hours. 

Thank you in advance! 

Edit / Update: I can't get the sound to work at all anymore. The whole game is just silent no matter what I do in my settings.

Edit: I deleted the DirectX folder and reinstalled it and managed to get the game sound back after startup but after 11 minutes my ears popped and the sound was gone again.  Another Steam thread said this is a common issue with USB wireless headsets which is exactly what my headset is. I used an audio jack headset in the past.

Edited by NotMartha

I've had some problems with my USB headset and dayz, but mine doesn't cut out once the game has started.   Normally I just use my built in speakers, unless I'm gaming then I plug in the USB headset.  I've tried to set it up where my USB headset becomes the default device immediately upon plugging them in, but that's been unreliable at best.

The solution for me is to ensure that the headset is the default playback device BEFORE loading up dayz, then everything works fine, alt-tabbing and all.   For me there isn't a reliable way to switch output devices after the game has started to load.  Hope that helps, give it a try and report back.

edit:  You can also try disabling your alternate playback device, so if it is defaulting back to that other device, now that's not an option..  In my case, in the pic below I would right-click the Realtek HD Audio Speakers and select disable.

NQkF0xB.jpg

Edited by GaryWalnuts

10 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I've had some problems with my USB headset and dayz, but mine doesn't cut out once the game has started.   Normally I just use my built in speakers, unless I'm gaming then I plug in the USB headset.  I've tried to set it up where my USB headset becomes the default device immediately upon plugging them in, but that's been unreliable at best.

The solution for me is to ensure that the headset is the default playback device BEFORE loading up dayz, then everything works fine, alt-tabbing and all.   For me there isn't a reliable way to switch output devices after the game has started to load.  Hope that helps, give it a try and report back.

edit:  You can also try disabling your alternate playback device, so if it is defaulting back to that other device, now that's not an option..  In my case, in the pic below I would right-click the Realtek HD Audio Speakers and select disable.

Reveal hidden contents

NQkF0xB.jpg

I have disabled all other playback devices and still have the same issue.

Thank you for your input though. I will keep it in mind.

Does this happen with 64-bit DayZ or both? Try use the 32-bit one.

Does Arma 3 belong in those played games? Any similar issues in there within few years with your headset? I think the same issue has been happening also in that game for many people before. Google those.

Are you using virtual surround? Try to disable it and go for stereo only.

What sound drivers those headset use? Maybe you've missed the 64-bit version drivers?