Pliskinki

Dynamic Weather is something everybody wants.

First of all, check this reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/767m9m/winter_is_coming/

To be plain and simple, Dynamic Weather is kinda of a must for DayZ in the mind of many, many people... It is something that would add greatly to the game as a survival game and most players would be astonished about it being implemented in the game, so I ask, fully knowing how hard it would be to code something like this:

Why not put Dynamic Weather in game?

DayZ dev team has since a long time been one of the most audacious and persistent devs I've ever seen in the game industry, even tho a lot of people take a piss on the game, I still insist to everyone saying crap: "You wait, and you'll see that this game is going to be a beast."

You guys have done a new engine entirely, so as a plea from the entire community, add this feature in the near future, just like the overhaul and revitalization of vegetation in .62, do it, as Eugen usually says: "The only way out of this, is creating an insanely good game." (or something along this lines).

I believe in you all devs!

Thanks u/zombieland78 for creating the reddit topic!

• Like 5

I would also certainly like seasons to be implemented. There's already a date/month/year system in the game and i believe that affects environment temperature but why not go further and do things like tree leaf colours and snow. Dynamic weather would be great as well. I'll be diving into modding to see if its possible to do something like it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

I'll be diving into modding to see if its possible to do something like it.

I like your attitude!

I think the insertion of seasons as a visual effect is not so difficult, it simply needs several texture sets (data would simply be much higher on hard disk, and the gamesystem need the mechanic to use multitexturing).

a dynamic change of seasons is already more difficult because it would require more than 4 texture sets. So we stay with the change of the main seasons, which are configured by the setting of the server date.

The adjustment of the weather data is certainly not the problem (I hope). The big influence, however, is the environmental mechanics, in words what is in what season, how and how effectively possible. (As an example of Apple, when and how are Apple's available in the seasons and which alternatives are there to the "zero apple times" --> then there are nuts or berries to be found ?

What about vegetable growing in the winter .. you need an intact! Greenhouse, and longer growing times with less yield.

In my opinion, these are the big questions to be answered. The only visual effect is not a real experience and no challenge.

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Like 1

Don't forget that for the full immersion, ground shouldn't be only texture. It should have depth when you step on snow. I think Assassin's Creed 3 did a good job on that one.

Edited by Just Caused

I've alwaysssss been a strong proponent for adding Snow to the game as an additional weather event! Since Namalsk I think players have had a taste of that exiled and dangerous feeling of a snowy wasteland, so adding it to DayZ SA would be HUGE.

There are ways of doing this quickly (Quicker) or to completely overhaul certain features of the weather system to allow the kind of Dynamism that players want to see in their environment.

The Quicker Way: Simply add it as a modified Rain script with re-textured rain particles  so that when the droplets fall, they're larger and crisp white. - You could also add onto the rain script that when the event is triggered, everyone in the existing cloud perimeter (If it's similar to how Arma's Editor works) would push the temperature system into Freezing levels. Essentially, super hypothermia weather that would reduce players' heat levels on a consistent (But slow rate) if not by a fire or have left the 'snowing' area.

However. . That leaves the problem with the snow collecting onto the ground, a system that hasn't been featured as of yet (Even with water). .

The Overhaul Way: This way involves a lot of work that will either have to be done by the Devs themselves, or a super good modder. Essentially, change all the weather scripts to leave behind distinctive textures on the ground that have physicality. (I.E. Snow that has depth or can be shuffled about like freefloating textures). While this would take longer to achieve, it would most certainly have the best future usage and would bring another realistic trait to the game's atmosphere.

Raining would leave behind muddy puddles that could be splashed about in for additional sound effects, Snow would leave a crunch to every step and small piles of white that would cover most items after a good bit of it snowing. 

However it is done, I know that I would fall in love when a DayZ SA Snowy Chernarus (Event, or full map).

prague-charles-bridge-in-snow.jpg

20101130_6926.jpg

The real thing is beautiful. . . Canz we has it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

I think the insertion of seasons as a visual effect is not so difficult, it simply needs several texture sets (data would simply be much higher on hard disk, and the gamesystem need the mechanic to use multitexturing).

a dynamic change of seasons is already more difficult because it would require more than 4 texture sets. So we stay with the change of the main seasons, which are configured by the setting of the server date.

The adjustment of the weather data is certainly not the problem (I hope). The big influence, however, is the environmental mechanics, in words what is in what season, how and how effectively possible. (As an example of Apple, when and how are Apple's available in the seasons and which alternatives are there to the "zero apple times" --> then there are nuts or berries to be found ?

What about vegetable growing in the winter .. you need an intact! Greenhouse, and longer growing times with less yield.

In my opinion, these are the big questions to be answered. The only visual effect is not a real experience and no challenge.

I doubt it's about difficulty, but priorities and how much time it would take to implement.

I mean, rewriting almost the entire game engine is one heck of a challenge.
Seasons are probably nothing in comparison, but would still almost definitely take more time than they want to spend at this time.

Also don't forget that Adam answered this question during a Q&A video. (I almost did.)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I doubt it's about difficulty, but priorities and how much time it would take to implement.

I mean, rewriting almost the entire game engine is one heck of a challenge.
Seasons are probably nothing in comparison, but would still almost definitely take more time than they want to spend at this time.

Also don't forget that Adam answered this question during a Q&A video. (I almost did.)

This is what I was hoping for, that the devs would be at least considering implementing this amazing feature into the game, after the work they did on .62 update, holy smokes... I could only think about what other environmental changes they would come up with, seasons would be the cherry on the cake, but for now, main goals are main goals, at least I know now that they consider implementing this beast of project into DayZ.

when we speak of seasons, it is realistic to see the horizon after the final release. Seasons in beta is certainly wrong. For what does not come does not have to be impossible. Now there are much more important core points. But dreams are tomorrow's ideas.

Atleast we'll be able to get an early version of it implemented as a mod. This would help flesh out the feature itself and the mechanics that come with it by having it in already. Then I guess when the developers decide to work on it they'll already have an example to look at.

seasons...yes.
dayz is falling behind if looking survive the nights and dead matter.they have dynamic seasons.
and why there cant be running water in chernarus...i mean river?...i watched map designer youtube video and,it felt like you cant do anything with easy in this new engine.
i dont know how easy these kind of things is with other engines....but dynamic seasons designed in game...lakes frozen,leafs falling ground,apples rotten,animals different colours,blizzards...it feels very hard task.
i dont believe that we gonna see seasons in dayz....

This is an amazing concept video by Game in Theory. He makes the best goddamn concept videos for sure. This idea seems like it would be a major hassle to convert all the trees to animate to different colours through said season by shit damn its a sexy video all the same. You guys should check out all his other dayz concepts also on his channel. Amazing stuff

• Like 1

Not really. The devs already have randomised colour variation in place for leaves already, so I'd say tweaking it from yellows to greens would be fairly simple at this point. The bigger issue is the in-between periods, when leaves are shooting and shedding. One requires leaf sizes to be altered (possibly along with secondary unfurled models, as well as flower blossoms too) and the other needs a complex leaf drop system (to be realistic, leaves do not all shed at the same rate; there is a progression when they drop which depends on environmental effects (such as forest physiology, geographic location, species, etc.)