Mantasisg

Will DayZ Ever Go Full Price ?

Do you guys think, that DayZ will go full price when it will hit BETA ? I mean, it would be a prefect reason to finally start to make a game, which would be worth the money. But the prestige, and reputation of the game is sitting quite low, steamcharts doesn't look promising as well. It makes me wonder, if increasing the price for DayZ wouldn't actually decrease the profit.

This being said, most of the profit was probably made in the first year of early access. Wouldn't it be better just to keep the price, regain the prestige, and reputation (if it is possible). Amd then if it is possible to release an alternative to Chernarus, maybe something with snow, if you know what I mean.

Well the plan back in the day was to gradually increase it as time went along, can't remember more than one increase so far, but don't quote me on that.
So if that is still the plan another hike might come with beta, though I might lean towards just holding off on that one at least for a build or two after 0.63.

Full price would be for full release, 1.0 and onward, at least as I see it.

• Like 1

It will go to 50-60€ for the full release. Then there will be some summer and winter sales that drop the price and after a year or two the base price drops.

That's how I see it.

• Like 1

Unless DayZ's reputation gets a little better, I'm pretty sure even a $45 price tag is gonna push folk away. Most of the people who wanted the game by now own it, and with the rep DayZ has I couldn't imagine too many more copies being sold at a price that high.

Many will want to buy Dayz when "super mods" come out, catering specifically to pvp or pve needs. Even if the base game keeps a "shaky" reputation I think what happens to the game after release will reach a new player base and possibly a great reputation for Dayz as a "platform".

13 hours ago, Zyriun said:

Unless DayZ's reputation gets a little better, I'm pretty sure even a $45 price tag is gonna push folk away. Most of the people who wanted the game by now own it, and with the rep DayZ has I couldn't imagine too many more copies being sold at a price that high.

Why would it push folk away? It makes no sense that people will quit DayZ just because of a increase in price since they already own the game. With my vision of the future of this game, I believe the price of $45 is well worth it. A lot of games have an even higher price tag while they most definitely don't deserve it. Games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc. poop out 1 game a year for €60 with minimal changes to their concept.

• Like 1

Pretty much everyone has heard of Dayz and probably owns it for PC now. The full price will be mostly for console players. I doubt they're going to get a huge rush of new players for PC when it is finally finished. 

Yeah, I think @Girth Brooks is right. Price will probably only be full for XB1 and PS4 players, whereas I believe they'll make their money on incremental expansions of Official Maps/Features/Weaponry/Better Tools - Akin to what Arma does. :) 

it is certainly a normal full price for Final Release to Desire, (in the range of the Arma series). Beta price policy we will see, although here every DayZ possesses, sometimes even several times. otherwise we could talk be synonymous over prices of computer components or mobile phones.

4 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

Pretty much everyone has heard of Dayz and probably owns it for PC now. The full price will be mostly for console players. I doubt they're going to get a huge rush of new players for PC when it is finally finished. 

I see it the other way.

Almost NO ONE I ask knows of DayZ, even among gamers.

I can think of maybe a half dozen people I've asked, "Do you know DayZ?", and they answered yes.

Console release will spur PC sales and even vice versa.

They haven't started truly promoting DayZ yet either because they don't have anywhere near a finished product.... So, I think there are many many more people who will be interested in DayZ over the next +/-2 years who never heard of it.

Also, people scared off by bugs and bad reputation may think twice once they hear differently or watch some amazing video....

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IMT said:

Why would it push folk away? It makes no sense that people will quit DayZ just because of a increase in price since they already own the game. With my vision of the future of this game, I believe the price of $45 is well worth it. A lot of games have an even higher price tag while they most definitely don't deserve it. Games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc. poop out 1 game a year for €60 with minimal changes to their concept.

I'm not saying it'll push away those who have it already, only those who don't. We have to face the reality that quite a lot of people don't look kindly on DayZ, and increasing the price on a game they already have a bad feeling about isn't good marketing. The reason games like CoD and Assassin's Creed, as you mentioned, sell so well is because they're established series, and have been pumping out games that people know they'll enjoy (theoretically). DayZ doesn't have that same established fanbase, and the fanbase that exists has already purchased the game more than likely. If they plan on selling more copies, you have to focus more on those people who are on the edge about buying it already, and not assume the name is going to sell itself as in the case with CoD and AC.

The price will go up when we reach Beta, we've known that before Early Access even started.
And I would assume this is still the plan since it's still on the store page and hasn't ever changed:

The price of DayZ Early Access will increase slowly as development moves closer to 1.0 (Releasing from Early Access). With the final price of DayZ at 39.99 EUR / 49.99 USD

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

19 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I see it the other way.

Almost NO ONE I ask knows of DayZ, even among gamers.

I can think of maybe a half dozen people I've asked, "Do you know DayZ?", and they answered yes.

I find the opposite reaction. DayZ for good or ill, has moved into an almost mythical category. Granted a lot of people know the name without actually playing the game.

The biggest annoyance for me is how the 'development process' (and we don't need to go into that in detail) has squandered that legacy somewhat.

As for the original question, and as I already own the game, the only caveat I would add is "will there ever be a time when Alpha ownership doesn't guarantee Beta ownership?" It certainly seems unlikely Bohemia wouldn't do that, purely from the backlash, but considering my £15 (or whatever I paid) was 4 years ago does that continually guarantee updates?

The price should go down. The game already has been sold enough.

I think around 25 euro would be nice. The game hasn't lived up to expectations for the majority of players that already bought it.  Perhaps some will get sour because of a pricedrop. But Most have left anyway.

Perhaps when modders could add some real survival elements  (like the dayz2017 team did with the dayz mod) the game will become interesting again for those who bought it for the survival. But the current state of the game is that it is more a demo with the possibility to create something out of it.  The beta adds nothing gameplay wise, when it comes to survival.The game would actually sell and be played again when a popular mod arises. And then A pricetag of 24.99 or 19.99 would be perfect.