Zeproe

Automatic shifting in vehicles

So right now in DayZ you have to manually change gear while driving... that is not fun at all.
I don't get why this was implemented in the first place, Bohemia is trying way to hard to make the game too realistic and what they forget is it takes away the fun aspect from the game.

I don't want to be playing a survival just to drive manually, it's too clunky, not fun nor is this game a pure simulator. 
Personally I think they should change the cars to automatic or if not have an option to, because I know some people out there like the manual shifting. If people are good at manual shifting then it shouldn't be a problem with the players using the automatic option.

Another thing to bring up is having to press R to pull the bolt back of a gun. Once again the game is turning to much into a simulator. Maybe an option for this too.

This is DayZ, use to be the best survival game out there and now it's rapidly going down the drain and I miss having FUN on the game. I miss getting into encounters that wasn't clunky, I miss not having to play a simulator.
In MY OPINION the game is just too realistic to have fun on now, what they need to do is carry on with their updates but at a more faster rate. 4 years in the making and we're just about to hit beta, shocking.
The sooner they get in base building and modding in, the better the game will be. That way they don't have to do as much development due to the modding community making FUN mods to use, just like ARMA 2.

I can't wait to see what happens in the future but right now it's not looking so good, taking the wrong path which is realism and leaving the fun behind :(

• Like 1

Is driving manual really that hard?

Maybe, instead of trying to making the game easier, you should try to get better.

Manual is really not hard at all (Least in DayZ), and I personally don't see an issue with it being a feature.

Manually having pull back the bolt literally only takes the click of one button, it's just something you have to remember to do. Plus, it has an authentic approach, you can still find guns that you don't need to fuss with, so if you don't like having to press R between shots, find a gun better to your liking.

DayZ is known for being a zombie survival SIMULATOR. Being a hardcore survival game takes simulation-esque details. Making the game more casual takes away the hardcore experience DayZ is founded on. I know there's still a line, because you're absolutely right it is still a game, but manual shifting and bolts are simple tasks that add just a bit of depth.

If it was a simulator you would have to hold down the clutch key while you change gears.    

• Like 1

Automatic transmission also has disadvantages in realistic driving, you can simulate with keys no real accelerator pedal. At the moment, the vehicles are simple and they do not have their proper value yet. if all the mechanics are inserted and they have their real benefit, you will be glad to have the "manual shift" purely because you can drive so carefully, as each gear limits your speed, and that makes it possible to be careful with the vehicle,  deal with it. (with the V3S it was not possible with the automatic gearbox from the coast "tree valleys" to move up to Msta, with the shift gearbox goes, if the tires are ok, although slow but it goes).

No and no. This is a simulator, a survival simulator. If something as simple as shifting gears (which manual cars are ALOT more common in where the game takes place Czech Republic) and pulling a bolt back, then this is NOT a game for you. Maybe you should try something more you level like h1z1 or rust if it's really that complicated and difficult for ya! :)

Im afraid i really fail to see how changing gears via simple key can be considered too realistic.

3 hours ago, atomquark said:

If it was a simulator you would have to hold down the clutch key while you change gears.    

V3S doesn't have a synchro transmission, so in it's case you'd have to double clutch...

manual transmission vehicles should use manual shifting imo. and since there are no vehicles with automatic transmissions, i don't think such simple actions should be taken out of the user's hand

i think the current implementation is a bit lacking, but once you get used to it, it gets less annoying to use. i'd like to be able to skip gears, especially if i want to go from 4 to R, but that shouldn't be to hard to add.

5 hours ago, Zyriun said:

Manual is really not hard at all (Least in DayZ), and I personally don't see an issue with it being a feature.

not even in real life :) (maybe except for double clutch ones; i never had the "pleasure" of trying)

• Like 1

I'm "American" and learned driving on manual transmission cars.

It's far better for traction control and RPM control.

Once the physics are polished I hope to get some good drifting going using manual.

What we need is also emergency brake for applicable cars....

• Like 3

ARMA 2-style fully-automatic shifting isn't accurate but neither is the standalone manual shifts. What @Sqeezorz mentioned about the stepped speeds is a good argument.

Automatic transmission makes sense in vehicles with auto transmissions. About half of passenger cars in Russia are now purchased with auto xmsn. Looked up some stats since I was thinking about making a related topic on vehicle choices.

@Sqeezorz Although a good idea with gears letting you limit your speed I would probably prefer a keybind that lets you accelerate at a consistent speed you are at. Example: hold W to accelerate normally and when you reach say 43 km/h hold CTRL+W which will limit the speed to that.

Also in regards to actual gear shifting my dream is to have a system similar to spintires (though i know a lot of people would dislike that lol)

Edited by DannyDog

I wouldnt say if you dont do transmission manually by your own DayZ would get less realistc or goes in the wrong direction because it wants or needs to be a simulation. The question should always be, is it fun and does the mechanic close the gap between gamedesign and realism. There are so so so many different areas of gameplay which arent realistic in DayZ. Its alwas the question of how to translate the realism into gamedesign. You could say walking forward by pressing W isnt realistic. It would be more realistic if you have to press lmousbutton than right mousbuttun than left mousbutton to simulate the movement of your legs - but would this be a good decision in concern to gamedisgn? I doubt it. Its the consistency or the lack of consistency which sometimes makes me a bit sad. On the one hand I need to do manual transmission, on the other hand its not possible to put a sedan wheel on a lada - damn if I would be in that situation I would take a wheel of a sedan and try to fix it up to a lada instead of drivin on rims or go by feed. Or the medical system. Or instant crafting of backpack or that im not be able to climb out of windows or or or or... what I want to say is that I would prefer this level of detail in other situations than by driving cars.

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka

13 minutes ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

I wouldnt say if you dont do transmission manually by your own DayZ would get less realistc or goes in the wrong direction because it wants or needs to be a simulation. The question should always be, is it fun and does the mechanic close the gap between gamedesign and realism. There are so so so many different areas of gameplay which arent realistic in DayZ. Its alwas the question of how to translate the realism into gamedesign. You could say walking forward by pressing W isnt realistic. It would be more realistic if you have to press lmousbutton than right mousbuttun than left mousbutton to simulate the movement of your legs - but would this be a good decision in concern to gamedisgn? I doubt it. Its the consistency or the lack of consistency which sometimes makes me a bit sad. On the one hand I need to do manual transmission, on the other hand its not possible to put a sedan wheel on a lada - damn if I would be in that situation I would take a wheel of a sedan and try to fix it up to a lada instead of drivin on rims or go by feed. Or the medical system. Or instant crafting of backpack or that im not be able to climb out of windows or or or or... what I want to say is that I would prefer this level of detail in other situations than by driving cars.

I fully agree on many things actually not being authentic enough in DayZ.

Just a note on mentioned wheel exchangeability - Sedan and Lada wheels probably have different mounting (5x114,3 and 4×98 - provided i checked the right cars :). In such case it would be quite difficult to swap their wheels without welding (or adapter plate).

• Like 1

maybe the turbo button should be used differently. in the moment we give "w" acceleration and "shift" turbo. Braking goes on with "S". which would be if "W" is accelerated, and "shift" limits the speed. the same with "S" for braking (normal fine braking) and smooth "S + Shift" makes a full brake ... something which would sometimes be really helpful. (most cars I broke, because of slow brakes).

Yea or by full brake it could be the hand brake itself. Drifting anyone?

11 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

~
You could say walking forward by pressing W isnt realistic. It would be more realistic if you have to press lmousbutton than right mousbuttun than left mousbutton to simulate the movement of your legs - but would this be a good decision in concern to gamedisgn? I doubt it.
~

QwopZ?

You are right about balancing simulation and fun though, there are many parts of DayZ that could do with this level of detail over something as simple as driving.