libertine

Why don't we spawn along the southern coast?

APOLOGIES TO ANY DEVS THAT READ THIS THREAD: I re-read what i wrote now after some time not having looked at this and it looks WAY more angry than i actually was. Like i said, i just swear a lot lately in life and don't mean to be rude and i mean no offense to any devs! Im just passionate about this game so i get a little worked up sometimes...and im a little worried your going to get to beta a call it a day, but thats no excuse for causing [potential] emotional harm.

Every time i think about this i get so fucking annoyed. Am am so fucking sick of even the sight of that fucking east coast. Even after 3 years of not playing this game. The north sucks now, all those towns way up there look identical and feel so meaningless. Its not just the structures, its the terrain layout, nothing eye catching. It makes my journey to NWAF from........you guessed it.......the east coast(how did you know).....so boring.

I have a hard on for Chernogorsk. I walk.............all the fucking way there.....a lot. Even if i make it there and beyond, there are rarely people there because there is almost nothing there anymore, nothing interesting, no military wrecks even or bases or road blocks and the industrial area, while an improvement, looks extremely generic looking now. Why not spawn people there, are they worried about people having a bit of fun in their game? The whole game looks like every other high contrast game now.

Edited by libertine
  • Like 1

Dev Update - Hicks

I'm frequently asked about player spawns, vehicle spawns, and the mentality behind where and why they are placed. I thought I would take the opportunity this week to discuss exactly that.

For those aware of how DayZ Mod's gameplay flow operated - it was fairly simple. Players started along the coast - from Kamenka to as far as Berezino. Players progressed (for the most part) from the South - to the North. (For the most part, the North West) This gameplay required very little design side control to influence it. Natively the original Chernarus had very few buildings, and thus very few potential item spawn points (compared to say - Chernarus +). One of the initial goals of DayZ was to decentralize the flow of high value or required resources. Think medical centers, military installations, and so on.

When approaching player spawns - early on my approach was to try and replicate the familiarity of player spawns in the earlier versions of DayZ Mod. (DayZ Mod circa Summer 2012 was used as a touch stone) We quickly learned that this approach did not work with the massively altered layout of Chernarus. Not to mention some of the changes to key coastal areas. The next experiment we ran with player spawns was to flip the map of Chernarus, and look at the player progression as East > West. From a design perspective this approach seemed the most logical in how we wanted to layout the world, and seemed on paper like it should find strong success.

Never let it be said that nostalgia and familiarity has no merit.

Players were very vocal in their longing for the familiar DayZ spawn points, Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk especially. Internally we were very reluctant to change this up as the early loot spawning system did not allow us any region control, and the design of Chernarus was heavily leaning towards letting us use any building model we wanted, where it made sense. (Think Military Police buildings in Chernogorsk, Balota Barracks, etc) However, as early prototyping on a more robust control over where region-wise certain items spawned, the idea of spawning in some of those core DayZ Mod areas was revisited. Obviously some small changes would need to occur to the layout of the world, as the system would take a good deal of time to develop - so Balota and the Northeast Airfield both got a redesign - and spawns from Kamyshovo to West Chernogorsk were reintroduced.

As Dynamic Events, and Vehicles entered the equation their spawn placements were heavily influenced by where the existing player spawns lay, and how we wanted the flow of players across the map to operate. Obviously Dynamic Event types used to prototype the system were also used as a control point for "Very Rare" items - with the desired intent to ensure that in the final product, players could not farm one location across many servers to quickly gain an item the design team intended to be incredibly hard to find. (See: SVD) 

Vehicles themselves followed a similar principle, as the prototype vehicle was a heavy vehicle designed to carry large amounts of both gear and players - the spawn positions for this were placed at the highest concentration in West / Northwest. As smaller, more civilian vehicles begin to be implemented we'll see more spawn types for them a bit closer to where player spawns are located.

I hope this brief look into the thought process behind these areas helps you to understand how they evolve a bit better.

See you all in Chernarus!
- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-09-jun-2015

• Like 1

I don't think a simple quote from a status update is enough to answer this post. I think it's a 100% legitimate concern and the status update post doesn't do it justice. Why have the huge, bustling, beautiful town of Chernogorsk if nobody spawns anywhere near there? It takes at least 15 minutes to get there from most spawn points. The glorious town is a ghost town now. I get that there are quite a few good spawn points around there, but is it really the end of the world if a few people find SKS or aks74u? Right now the northeast is BARREN as far as viable loot goes and balota is a lootsplosion of pistols, shotguns, and 22 rifles. I often wonder why this is and my guess is because nobody wants to go down there so all the good loot builds up there.

Not only is Cherno empty, theres almost no reason to go there from the east coast. I just slowly go through the same buildings till im literally fucking dizzy from all the turning around. Searching entire buildings, one at a time. No loot, no loot, no loot, no loot, sweater, no loot, t-shirt, no loot, pick axe, no loot, no loot, matches, no loot, no loot, empty rifle i've never had ammo for ever, no loot, empty pistol i might be able to use in 3 or 4 hours of more looting/traveling, no loot, oh im wet and hypothermic, dead. Its all the same buildings. Also, a player could pass right next to you, even be there for hours, and you might not see him because of the new lack of wide open spaces, which are a realistic part of industrial locations. Maybe new-Cherno is too big? Don't even get me started on the worthless NE airfield. Its not interesting, no loot, lame buildings, no artistic touches IMO, no military, no story-via-model-placement.

This whole game man. Why do we start in a goofy looking clean t-shirt and jeans always and our character models look so fucking awkward? Isn't that why we gave them money, to develop high quality AAA content? Why do i almost always spawn as a women? I've watched male action stars constantly since childhood (for better or worse...) and being a women is immersion breaking. WTF is that? No offense to women and im glad female characters are in it, i'd be disappointed if they wern't but let me choose a male, because im personally fucking male. Let us immerse ourselves as much as we can. This is about US experiencing a survival situation and most of US are MALE. Why is the "wave" emote animation look like a guy waving goodbye to his wife and kids across from a chasm hes about to die on because he can't escape -how about a more human casual wave that fits more situations and works while moving, doens't beg a rely,etc... How come they haven't added proper ladder climbing yet with a good AAA animation including transitionals that look perfectly natural and WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I LOOK AROUND WHILE ON A LADDER? Are we physically challenged characters? Don't you think it might be interesting to stop and look around while on a ladder on one of the tall buildings? Why the fuck can't i look upwards ANY TIME? I can't even SEE straight above me, WTF IS THAT? Seriously, what the fuck is that? Why THE HELL don't you show server population numbers? I was on a first person character the other day and saw all "low" servers..........................................................................................

K? So...if i hit population and flip the list, guess what happens.............................................guess..............lol...........................holy shit this game. Is it a single player game now?

All that said, i like that they're making it complex and i really hope they just push forward with their goal of a hardcore survival experience and lets see what we get, but man, rough edges....ho ly shit we have some rough edges. I thought we hired these guys to iron out rough edges.

3 hours ago, libertine said:

Not only is Cherno empty, theres almost no reason to go there from the east coast. I just slowly go through the same buildings till im literally fucking dizzy from all the turning around. Searching entire buildings, one at a time. No loot, no loot, no loot, no loot, sweater, no loot, t-shirt, no loot, pick axe, no loot, no loot, matches, no loot, no loot, empty rifle i've never had ammo for ever, no loot, empty pistol i might be able to use in 3 or 4 hours of more looting/traveling, no loot, oh im wet and hypothermic, dead. Its all the same buildings. Also, a player could pass right next to you, even be there for hours, and you might not see him because of the new lack of wide open spaces, which are a realistic part of industrial locations. Maybe new-Cherno is too big? Don't even get me started on the worthless NE airfield. Its not interesting, no loot, lame buildings, no artistic touches IMO, no military, no story-via-model-placement.

This whole game man. Why do we start in a goofy looking clean t-shirt and jeans always and our character models look so fucking awkward? Isn't that why we gave them money, to develop high quality AAA content? Why do i almost always spawn as a women? I've watched male action stars constantly since childhood (for better or worse...) and being a women is immersion breaking. WTF is that? No offense to women and im glad female characters are in it, i'd be disappointed if they wern't but let me choose a male, because im personally fucking male. Let us immerse ourselves as much as we can. This is about US experiencing a survival situation and most of US are MALE. Why is the "wave" emote animation look like a guy waving goodbye to his wife and kids across from a chasm hes about to die on because he can't escape -how about a more human casual wave that fits more situations and works while moving, doens't beg a rely,etc... How come they haven't added proper ladder climbing yet with a good AAA animation including transitionals that look perfectly natural and WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I LOOK AROUND WHILE ON A LADDER? Are we physically challenged characters? Don't you think it might be interesting to stop and look around while on a ladder on one of the tall buildings? Why the fuck can't i look upwards ANY TIME? I can't even SEE straight above me, WTF IS THAT? Seriously, what the fuck is that? Why THE HELL don't you show server population numbers? I was on a first person character the other day and saw all "low" servers..........................................................................................

K? So...if i hit population and flip the list, guess what happens.............................................guess..............lol...........................holy shit this game. Is it a single player game now?

All that said, i like that they're making it complex and i really hope they just push forward with their goal of a hardcore survival experience and lets see what we get, but man, rough edges....ho ly shit we have some rough edges. I thought we hired these guys to iron out rough edges.

almost 800 forum posts and you don't know the basics of DayZ SA? (eg. how to select your character model)

are you just trolling or are you serious?

if you are serious, please express your concerns in a more civil way. i'm sure many people here would be willing to help you finding your answers, even though you could simply educate yourself by reading a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HaseDesTodes said:

almost 800 forum posts and you don't know the basics of DayZ SA? (eg. how to select your character model)

are you just trolling or are you serious?

if you are serious, please express your concerns in a more civil way. i'm sure many people here would be willing to help you finding your answers, even though you could simply educate yourself by reading a bit.

I honestly can't take anyone seriously if they can't even figure out a basic function like customizing their character. Basic functionality isn't too much to ask

What character? If there is a character in the main menu screen where you used to normally choose them, they've developed powers of invisibility. I see no character models. 800 forums posts yes, but this was the same forum for the DayZ mod.

HaseDesTodes: Don't want your help. Never did. If you think swearing is uncivil and you don't care to give those people help -don't help me, don't ever reply to me, don't interact with me. Rhetorical questions (means no need to reply) Have you figured out yet that "poop" and "shit" have the same meaning, but "shit" is somehow............evil? Wait, oh no its not thats right, humans are just stupid.

EDIT: Yep, i just tried it and yes you can set the character, despite not seeing any models in the character screen. I didn't even try, because they for a time didn't let you choose and just spawned you randomly with any character, i thought we were still on the program since i didn't see any characters at all on the screen........

Does anyone else actually see models?

Edited by libertine

12 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

balota is a lootsplosion of pistols, shotguns, and 22 rifles. I often wonder why this is and my guess is because nobody wants to go down there so all the good loot builds up there.

Shh, you're spoiling my loot run!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, libertine said:

my journey to NWAF

"Well here's your problem!"

Boring as fuck.

Try using your imagination to make reasons to go to other locations other than high end military loot.

Also, you are raging about things you would know the answer to if you followed the dev news closely.

You need to take another break and go back and read more.

I don't have the patience for this level of ignorance from such a long time member.

I wonder how an INDIVIDUAL spawns from the planes would work lol

What rhymes with Boring ? MODING ! :D 

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

"Well here's your problem!"

Boring as fuck.

Try using your imagination to make reasons to go to other locations other than high end military loot.

Also, you are raging about things you would know the answer to if you followed the dev news closely.

I don't have the patience for this level of ignorance from such a long time member.

First off, its not raging, i just swear a lot when i talk nowadays :)

2nd, what "reasons"? You mean roleplay? I'm not interested in that. I've done that, i have 600 hours in standalone (before 3 years ago) and god knows how many hours of playing the mod. I've followed the power lines pretending i was trying to find civilization many times. I've *walked*, under them while having my morning coffee. They didn't add another map so i can't explore new areas. These "new" areas of Chernarus, with these new rock formations that look out of a mobile game, that all look the same with the same layout, one town is another town, not that interested in exploring there.

I love that they are making the game hard though, i have a hard time surviving now, but it must be that way because when i learn to survive, everything will probably become too easy. In some ways, i think they are doing a great job.

Edited by libertine

Wow who shit in this kids cereal ? hahaa 

The map is alot more interesting than the old chernarus. I can see you are having one of those rants tho. Usually most of us stay away from the forums when we are in this kind of mood. Hey, dont get me wrong, there is still alot of irritating things about dayz but I think alot of those things and ideas are slowly being addressed over time. Even as a long time fan of dayz i think its easy and safe to say we all need our "long breaks" from dayz. For instance, some of the things that I'm worried about is stuff like  "base building/fortification " or how about the stamina system will be introduce in 63. but there is no talk of the time frame for when vehicles will be back (that i know of).. but then again why is there no damn push bikes for us to use until cars are working properley ? When was the last time any of this stuff was mentioned ?

These are the things that make we wonder when paying attention to dev blogs etc. But rather then getting all unhappy i just look away for a while :D

17 hours ago, libertine said:

Why do i almost always spawn as a women?

Uhh.. you can choose who you spawn as... ^_^

Speaking of current loot spawns and player spawns. . I do hope they maximize Chernarus' other locations a little bit more. I dislike the whole East < Northwestern areas for better loots simply because it pushes all players into the same general directions.

I suppose it will have to change with the other resources becoming a thing; i.e. lumber being taken from a lumberyard, or helicopter parts found at the NE Airfield, and etc. But yeah, hoping items will gain a new formula sometime instead of our current system of moving inland towards Tisy for the Meta-Run of best loot. Decentralizing and spreading military gear to the other bases on map would definitely help with this. . 

But Stamina is also a thingy to come out soon. . So maybe my gums are just flapping and it'll all be okay anyway xD 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

-snip-

I actually had lots of interactions (and more interesting ones) when there was a wider variety of the map regularly being used. Places such as Novo and Cernaya Polana and its scrapyard in the North were good places to find people, not to mention the hell-on-a-stick city of Chernogorsk. Now everyone seems to be more concerned with Stary Sobor and Gorka PvP zones. I think a wider area of spawns and useful locations would help, not to mention higher server capacity.

• Like 1

More players, and more mobility. When player count is low and mobility is pretty much 99/100 on foot then there is no point of even trying to cover whole 14x14km of Chernarus, less than half of Chernarus is enough for that. Too big. Now with 150players and "right" amount of vehicles it would be different story. 

3 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

^^

This guy wants interactions to become even more rare

It is what kills DayZ

I don't want interactions to become more rare at all. . I never said that xD 

But currently, the system is Coast -> Most inland possible for best loot run. What I suggested is simply that give the other more coastal military areas more appealing loot so that it changes the East <Northwest approach and randomizes where players will interact with each other. 

I'm not saying Tisy and such shouldn't be the best, but it would do this game's loot economy some good if some randomization were implemented.

2 minutes ago, Espa said:

I don't want interactions to become more rare at all. . I never said that xD 

But currently, the system is Coast -> Most inland possible for best loot run. What I suggested is simply that give the other more coastal military areas more appealing loot so that it changes the East <Northwest approach and randomizes where players will interact with each other. 

I'm not saying Tisy and such shouldn't be the best, but it would do this game's loot economy some good if some randomization were implemented.

I agree, creating points of interests on the map, would create an incentive for people moving across the map a lot more. Thus increasing mobility and allowing for more diverse interaction patterns. Points of interests could include:

-Locations of High value loot (e.g. Militairy bases, e.g. hunting cabin where special hunting gear can be found) 

-Locations tied to certain objectives (e.g. gas station -> refueling, workshop -> weapon maintenance/repair, NE airfield -> heli parts etc)

-Locations tied to certain dynamic events (Heli crashes, Rare albino animals spawning in a certain point of the map, if server performance allows it hordes that have a chance of spawning in the open field in between small villages)

-Locations tied to certain stories, add static things to the game that have a story to tell (This could be places e.g. the Quarry or static models e.g. Hanging man Cherno)  Write stories around these places/ persons of interest and publish them on the official dayz website. e.g. green mountain is haunted/ random radio contact, steve the survivor got crushed by a boulder in the Quarry of severograd (add a bolder with an arm sticking out.) 

-Locations tied to certain conditions (e.g. tisy -> toxic area, Western part of the map, northern part of the map -> places with high altitude have severe weather conditions (more rain, wind)

There is plenty of things that could be done to get players to move from one location to the other , CLE being one of them.

But in the end, what locations someone visits or doesn't visit is largely depending on the person playing. Some people prefer the post-apocalyptic fights in the coastal towns where anything can be used as a weapon, everything is permitted and nobody is safe. Others prefer sticking to military areas, going for a high risk high reward, while other like to roam the map and see what stories awaits.  All play styles should be viable, because in the end it's us the players that write our own stories.

• Like 1

APOLOGIES TO ANY DEVS THAT READ THIS THREAD: I re-read what i wrote now after some time not having looked at this and it looks WAY more angry than i actually was. Like i said, i just swear a lot lately in life and don't mean to be rude and i mean no offense to any devs! Im just passionate about this game so i get a little worked up sometimes...and im a little worried your going to get to beta a call it a day, but thats no excuse for causing [potential] emotional harm. So sorry guys.

Edited by libertine

1 hour ago, libertine said:

and im a little worried your going to get to beta a call it a day,

Why would an Bohemia willfully harm their reputation by not completing their game??   Unlike larger studios such as EA, Bohemia only has a small library of games under their belt and not completing DayZ would most likely tarnish their reputation.  It's easy for companies such as Electronic Arts to toss a game under the rug as they have thousands and will just spew out another BF to uphold the masses for every other failed project.  And this goes to anyone who keeps spouting off that DayZ will never be completed, you're all a bunch of idiots for thinking so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Why would an Bohemia willfully harm their reputation by not completing their game??   Unlike larger studios such as EA, Bohemia only has a small library of games under their belt and not completing DayZ would most likely tarnish their reputation.  It's easy for companies such as Electronic Arts to toss a game under the rug as they have thousands and will just spew out another BF to uphold the masses for every other failed project.  And this goes to anyone who keeps spouting off that DayZ will never be completed, you're all a bunch of idiots for thinking so.

Beta = 90%+ done in a lot of cases, you have to admit.

2 hours ago, libertine said:

Beta = 90%+ done in a lot of cases, you have to admit.

For most AAA games that utilize Beta/Early access systems as a marketing gimmick. But for games especially indie Beta can't really be a judge of how complete a game is. And to be honest it's neither because people have been throwing around beta/alpha words like its some judgement of development progress when it's not really. Like you think they'd stop adding more to the game once it's reached beta or full release? Look at games like Minecraft or League of Legends. Both were indie and are now fully released and yet it's content has expanded ten fold since then.

Well, for the games that i follow, beta usually means they're basically done. I don't play Minecraft or LoL. Battlefield games, when they reach beta are about 99% done excluding DLC. X-Rebirth as a counterexample is like 26% done.