Jacob_Mango

Mapping Tools Question

I understand why we can't 0.63 now. I am not asking for that. I am not even asking for the complete mod tools. I am only asking for the map tools to be released since I assume the developers are able to create the Chernarus with minimal problems right now.

Why do I ask? So mappers can start making the maps for DayZ before the workshop is live so it can be populated with maps. 

If it is a no, would it be easy to port a map created in Arma 3 to DayZ with the new mapping tools?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any thing similar using search.

Edit: Is this meant to be a in a different category? I don't really see it being a suggestion for the actual game so don't think it fits there. 

Edited by Jacob_Mango
Clarification on catergories
  • Like 1

I think this is a very legitimate question.Why ?  to create a good map, which is a standard and scale in a league like Chernarus Plus, and I hope the future map the Chernarus map as a challenge to see this is a very big one work, with huge time and houres of working.

I hope the map Bamburgh (arma3) still has a chance, or in any case, that the map is not too late Idea behind it.

@Sqeezorz This is quite right. Creating maps take a huge amount of time and if anything the tools for it should be released first. But hopefully previously made maps for arma 3 can be converted too.

map tools:  dayz will work with pbo mapfiles just like in arma. this means all the arma maps outthere will work after some modifications or usage of the dayz mod tools, which will be released during beta.

but dont forget that maps for arma are not really fitting to dayz, because of the missing interior of houses, deer stands, functional static objects (well,appletrees,...), this means maps should be reworked for dayz and this needs much time.

i think its better to build new maps for dayz and wait for the whole content we will get (or community upgrade projects) to start object placement and so on.

for terrain and object building we will see if we can use the dev tools they released for arma3 or get new ones for dayz, but i am sure that can be converted in dayz fitting formats.

I am currently working on a map for DayZ. How you ask?

Well here's the deal. Maps are going to work essentially the same in DayZ (with some exceptions).

So the whole workflow of map making is the same. Even if the tools are different, WRP formats are different. At the end, the source files should be the same. Buildings are the same (You can use the old ArmA 2 houses. They are the same in DayZ, same classnames, different models). So really, you can work on a map, and at the end you might need to configure it differently. DayZ does add more models, and doesn't have some A2 models. But it is all fixable.

I am making the map like any other standard A3 map, using the Terrain Builder - but I only use A2 objects (trying to minimize the usage of ep1 objects tho).

1 hour ago, DannyDog said:

@Yuval Nek minut incompatible.

Well taking into account I've been able to load Panthera, Taviana and Namalsk into the legacy engine, and they said it will work the same way. I believe you're wrong.

Any confirmation on P3D backwards compatibility?

Seems like all the new DayZ assets from RV4 to Enfusion got a new FBX redo.

iirc terrain builder was confirmed to be a part of DayZ SA. Not sure it'll be the same as arma a3's variant of TB

8 hours ago, Midnighters said:

iirc terrain builder was confirmed to be a part of DayZ SA. Not sure it'll be the same as arma a3's variant of TB

i m not sure if they announced that. i was thinking they said that no new object or terrain builder will be released for dayz.

that's why i m waiting for those tools and only make a hightmap, satelite map and groundtex map, because this u can surely import in the new terrain builder, if there is one.

for objects i believe u can also use the A3 tb for now and link the data_f objects like A3/A2 trees, grass... that will be no problem importing it in dayz tb, i think

edit:

the question is, do we get all the content of chernarus+ or is it binarized

Edited by Funkdoc

15 hours ago, Yuval said:

Well taking into account I've been able to load Panthera, Taviana and Namalsk into the legacy engine, and they said it will work the same way. I believe you're wrong.

Can't be right or wrong yet.

It was also just a joke lol

On 29/09/2017 at 7:48 PM, Midnighters said:

Majority of DayZ assets are still maintained by OB and kept in p3d format (same applies to textures - paa and materials - rvmat). As of now, there are no plans to use Enfusion file formats for environment / character / vehicle models.

As for the tool parity, we are currently using A3 OB and TB, no additional DayZ-specific changes were needed so far.

On 30/09/2017 at 4:01 AM, Funkdoc said:

the question is, do we get all the content of chernarus+ or is it binarized

While nothing has been settled yet, looking at the history (Arma), it is almost certain that all the DayZ content will be only available as binarized for quite some time. Obviously with some exceptions (road parts) and most likely sample models.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sumrak said:

As for the tool parity, we are currently using A3 OB and TB, no additional DayZ-specific changes were needed so far.

Thanks for this information, nothing bothers me now... that means we can fully count on the arma 3 dev tools for TB & OB map preparation.

4 hours ago, Sumrak said:

While nothing has been settled yet, looking at the history (Arma), it is almost certain that all the DayZ content will be only available as binarized for quite some time. Obviously with some exceptions (road parts) and most likely sample models.

This is a little bit bitter for me, because i really would love to use those high-Res chernarus+ houses with interior for map creation. sounds for me like we need some good object designer for future maps.

thank u for these answers, we (the community modmakers) are always open for new inputs from the map development team. I really appreciate it.

56 minutes ago, Funkdoc said:

This is a little bit bitter for me, because i really would love to use those high-Res chernarus+ houses with interior for map creation. sounds for me like we need some good object designer for future maps.

You will be able to use any environment asset we use on ChernarusPlus in your own map project (placing and manipulating using TB / Buldozer), its just you wont be able to open any of them in OB and directly change the model (adding walls, proxies,..).

• Like 2

@Sumrak

You are completely right, but my intention was to modify some buildings like adding rooms (in unused indoor space) or at least editing the textures for use on a winter map.

but i m very happy that i hear this now. i m also very satisfied with the binarized version of those assets.

will there be more binarized content available (in future) than the chernarus+ assets? my thought was on your project namalsk, the new official dayz map u work on,

or  other BI made Extra content for map designing for dayz?  

13 hours ago, Funkdoc said:

@Sumrak

You are completely right, but my intention was to modify some buildings like adding rooms (in unused indoor space) or at least editing the textures for use on a winter map.

but i m very happy that i hear this now. i m also very satisfied with the binarized version of those assets.

will there be more binarized content available (in future) than the chernarus+ assets? my thought was on your project namalsk, the new official dayz map u work on,

or  other BI made Extra content for map designing for dayz?  

Yeah, that will not be doable, though if it is existing arma 2 building, you can use the already released sources for a2 meshes and implement your interior ideas from there (using dayz textures). As for the re-texturing, it is possible to re-texture even a binarized model, though quite a painful.

I do not expect any extra content to be available in the official game pbos, what you find is what is used on Chernarus. Thats the general rule for env assets (we cannot have some extras that will not be used at all). As for the Namalsk itself, please remember, that it is un-official map that will be released as a mod for DayZ. You can surely expect that DayZ workshop will get populated over time with nice asset packages (similar to Arma 3).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sumrak said:

please remember, that it is un-official map that will be released as a mod for DayZ.

sorry i didnt know that :)

@Sumrak Please allow me to ask 2 important questions.

By using A3  TB, does that mean A3 roads are supported?

Since A2 and its OA counterpart contain more objects than DayZ (I assume), will we have to depend on some kind of a CUP project for DayZ to use some models from A2?

Edited by Yuval

The big Question for me is...will BI maybe do a DayZ Altis , Tanoa  and/or Malden version and an Arma 3 version of  Chernarus + ? I mean that would be such a clever way to provide new high quality maps and assets for both games without creating them from scratch and earning some extra money (dlc). 

1 hour ago, Private Evans said:

The big Question for me is...will BI maybe do a DayZ Altis , Tanoa  and/or Malden version and an Arma 3 version of  Chernarus + ? I mean that would be such a clever way to provide new high quality maps and assets for both games without creating them from scratch and earning some extra money (dlc). 

Chernarus+ version for A3 has been on my wishlist for a long time.

Maybe do a free for anyone owning both games and 5-10$ price for those just owning A3.

Depending on how much work it would take ofc.

8 hours ago, Yuval said:

@Sumrak Please allow me to ask 2 important questions.

By using A3  TB, does that mean A3 roads are supported?

Since A2 and its OA counterpart contain more objects than DayZ (I assume), will we have to depend on some kind of a CUP project for DayZ to use some models from A2?

1) Unfortunately, no. If nothing changes (which seems unlikely at the moment), roads in DayZ will continue be on A2/TKOH level. A3 TB still supports the old road network management, but you can of course go around it and create/import your road network from parts (as standard map objects).

2) I think numbers could actually be very similar (the object library grew quite a lot over time with new models made specifically for DayZ). You can find majority of classic A2 object library (improved of course) integrated in DayZ. As for the OA objects - we are not using many they are obviously not very fitting to the environment we work on. One exception that comes to my mind are the quarry objects. So yeah, if you are going to use OA objects, you will either need to do the port by yourself or wait for some variation of cup for DayZ to be released.

I mentioned this in one of the SR, but I feel its fitting to mention it here now that we are digging deeper into the map making for DayZ. With the update .63, we have completely re-done the old Arma paths for models and changed 99% of model names. All models have now somewhat consistent names (all in english - yes, czech names are gone) and the whole structure is much simpler to work with (this also caused massive reduction in amount of client/server pbos). So if you happen to start making a map for DayZ now, some mass object re-importing will be necessary for your project once DayZ modding comes - I can supply a conversion table though (and possibly even tool that can use this table and process your TB export - we faced the same problem internally).

7 hours ago, Private Evans said:

All I can say that at this point in time, we focus on delivering ChernarusPlus in best possible shape we can, no other new maps, nor any ports of existing A3 maps are planned.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sumrak said:

I can supply a conversion table though (and possibly even tool that can use this table and process your TB export - we faced the same problem internally)

this would be very nice until we get full modification support. for now, i think no dayz map builder is advanced enough with his project, so it is not necessary at the moment. but when we are able to test our project (testing prototype) after the addon builder process, this will get interesting.

with the information you provided, we can now plan and start working (what some people already did)... thank u very much, i was hoping hicks could share some information about what is planned in detail for mod support in the past, but i think the goals for mod support wasnt determined yet internally, because of the early build version of dayz.

i can congratulate u for working on the most exciting MP title ever be written. with mod support, bohemia made the absolutely right step. dayz is a new branch additional to the BI milsim products and has a lot of potential, which BI will deploy i am sure.

although the early access story was a little pain in da as* for BI because of the kiddies wanna play a game thats already done, this game will get high ranks. but some improvements have to be done for ex. hive system compatibility...

On 10/5/2017 at 10:45 PM, Sumrak said:

I mentioned this in one of the SR, but I feel its fitting to mention it here now that we are digging deeper into the map making for DayZ. With the update .63, we have completely re-done the old Arma paths for models and changed 99% of model names. All models have now somewhat consistent names (all in english - yes, czech names are gone) and the whole structure is much simpler to work with (this also caused massive reduction in amount of client/server pbos). So if you happen to start making a map for DayZ now, some mass object re-importing will be necessary for your project once DayZ modding comes - I can supply a conversion table though (and possibly even tool that can use this table and process your TB export - we faced the same problem internally).

pls supply!!!!!

Seriously, that would save me shitload of time this evening.