Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

Binocs/scopes are very valuable! wtf devs?

Quote from the status report:

On the other hand, we know that in the case we gave the player character some supernatural abilities, we would lower the importance of items which should be used in such situations, like binoculars or scopes (which can be used even while not mounted on a weapon). Currently, these have very limited use among players, as naked eye zoom (or focus if you want to call it like that) is enough for them to observe environment.

Are the devs crazy?  Binoculars and scopes are extremely valuable.  Binocs were even valuable in the mod which had a much higher zoom.  Among all the people I play with (which has been a lot over the years) binoculars have nearly rivaled guns for loot.  Scopes in the SA are almost a must with the reduced zoom from the mod.

Seriously, this just seems like a crazy excuse by the devs to defend a bad idea.  I have no clue how they came to this conclusion.

The status report also mentioned putting aim down sights on middle mouse and having difficulty deciding what to do with it?  What in the world is wrong with the current system of space bar to raise weapon, right click to aim down sights?  Why do they want to change these fundamental aspects of the game to make them strangely convoluted or removed entirely?  More than ever it seems like there's no clear goals among the dev team and they're just changing stuff to change stuff.  If it's not broken, don't mess with it when there's already so many actual problems with the game to work on why create more?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bororm said:

Are the devs crazy?  Binoculars and scopes are extremely valuable.  Binocs were even valuable in the mod which had a much higher zoom.  Among all the people I play with (which has been a lot over the years) binoculars have nearly rivaled guns for loot.  Scopes in the SA are almost a must with the reduced zoom from the mod.

Seriously, this just seems like a crazy excuse by the devs to defend a bad idea.  I have no clue how they came to this conclusion.

Agreed about their current value. I always grab binocs or even better, PU scope from hunting stands when gearing up. You can scan a huge area with such items, they are invaluable for spotting people. 

I don't get why they need to be even more valuable than now. They have a function, and they perform it... what more is needed?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Agreed about their current value. I always grab binocs or even better, PU scope from hunting stands when gearing up. You can scan a huge area with such items, they are invaluable for spotting people. 

I don't get why they need to be even more valuable than now. They have a function, and they perform it... what more is needed?

Agreed, just because a lot of people don't use them, doesn't mean they aren't useful.
It probably says more about their playstyle than the usefulness of the items themselves.

I love finding pristine binoculars :)

I'm willing to try it out and see if it has the desired effect of facilitating more player interactions. 

14 hours ago, Bororm said:

Quote from the status report:

The status report also mentioned putting aim down sights on middle mouse and having difficulty deciding what to do with it?  What in the world is wrong with the current system of space bar to raise weapon, right click to aim down sights?  Why do they want to change these fundamental aspects of the game to make them strangely convoluted or removed entirely?  More than ever it seems like there's no clear goals among the dev team and they're just changing stuff to change stuff.  If it's not broken, don't mess with it when there's already so many actual problems with the game to work on why create more?

I think you didn't understand what he was saying in what you quoted from the S.R.

i think he was saying that with so called zoom removed that Binoculars and scopes would be more important , than they are now as players use zoom in place of binoculars and scopes. 

What a weak argument ! 

Just be honest and say that it is being done because of performance. Not the first thing, and probably not a last thing to be stripped out in order to save for performance....

Also "super natural" abilities almost seems offensive, as we all learned in the previous thread that it is not supernatural, but a realistic fov in depth, while ordinary view provides realistic peripheral vision, as you can not have both at the same time. Plus devs has stated that themselves back in the day, when the game ran like shot, but was much more fun to play.

Thanks....

Controler (hopefully) will compensate this usual loss. Every improvement in DayZ is comming with something bad. 

6 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

i think he was saying that with so called zoom removed that Binoculars and scopes would be more important , than they are now as players use zoom in place of binoculars and scopes. 

It's not possible to use 'zoom' in place of binoculars and scopes.

8 hours ago, klesh said:

I'm willing to try it out and see if it has the desired effect of facilitating more player interactions. 

Won't. See: patch 0.57.

• Like 1

Oh no.  The game is totally doomed now that we won't have the ability to use our eyes as binoculars.  We should all just give up now.... smfh

6 hours ago, Midnighters said:

There is always a reason,

the devs don't just snatch something away and stick their tongue out for no reason.

This is the reason:

" ... absence of naked eye zoom was intentional as we run into technical problems due interference with switching to iron sights, witch was key-binded to middle mouse button. Time was running out and instead of fixing the old camera behaviour, we decided to cut it completely, so that we can start implementing a new camera from scratch to allow us to have more control over it (which is being worked on right now)."

That's it.

That's the reason it was missing from Gamescom demo.

The other things mentioned are all just pros/cons they are considering, as they decide whether or not to re-implement the 'eye zoom'.

(At least, that's what I understand from status report)

• Like 2

On 9/27/2017 at 7:52 PM, -Gews- said:

Won't. See: patch 0.57.

Nice having a conversation about it.

0.57 isn't beta nor the final.  Not the same food levels, not the same temps, not the same weapons/ammo amounts, not the same zombarino amounts.   When all of that is taken into account, it might be different.  I'm willing to playtest and find out.

12 minutes ago, klesh said:

Nice having a conversation about it.

0.57 isn't beta nor the final.  Not the same food levels, not the same temps, not the same weapons/ammo amounts, not the same zombarino amounts.   When all of that is taken into account, it might be different.  I'm willing to playtest and find out.

No one will be able to tell if changes to eye zoom alone results in more player interactions or not. As far as I'm aware the devs haven't kept logs of all player interactions to date. The other stuff you mention is a different topic. 'More interaction' also was not the reason for removing 'eye zoom', that was just Peter weighing possible pros and cons of each option, as they haven't yet decided whether to keep the 'zoom' or not.

My prediction is that there would be no noticeable differences in the number of players one runs into merely due to changing 'eye zoom', although if all things were equal, you'd probably miss a few encounters as you wouldn't be able to spot each other from as far away. Players would probably be shot on sight just as often, maybe from a little closer on average, but most encounters tend to be close range surprises as it stands.

Edited by -Gews-
  • Like 2

Thats really bad, do they assume everyone is using a 1440p or higher monitor or something? Look at Steam screen size statistics devs. This is something that isn't broken here IMO. If i try to spot a guy in the bushes above a town, its going to be impossible without binoculars/scope now. Ill be trying to see individual pixels move on my 1080p screen. In the last 40 hours i just put into dayz, i have found 0 binoculars btw.

I also agree, binos and scopes, as they are now, are extremely valuable and instantly get a quick slot. Heres a reality check for the devs: Stand at the Chernarus dock edge with a view of the top of the high tower you can climb thats in the center. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE PEOPLE AT THE VERY TOP WITH THE NAKED EYE! Not only can't i do that, i can't do it with eye zoom ALREADY at 1080p!

Maybe they'll complete what they've started here and mandate we all wear fucking eye patches on both eyes so the only way to encounter another player is to bump into them. Or just make the game offline single player.

Edited by libertine

@libertine Hard to find binos? They spawn so frequently on deer stands its almost impossible NOT to find one during a regular session.

I only recently started checking deer stands again. Good loot, but i don't see why it would be there as opposed to in a house or supermarket, i thought they were explicitly going for realism in this area. Who leaves a pair of binoculars in a deer stand in a rainy, cold climate or any climate? All that stuff i found doesn't really make sense in the quantity i see it in.

I thought they were going to do stuff like put a fully loaded and equipped AK47 laying on a couch on the 7th floor of one of the apartment buildings and another good gun leaning up against a wall in a lonely house in the woods and maybe one would sometimes spawn on the top of a high building in a tent used by a fictional survivor who didn't make it.... Holy S this game.

I had an unloaded AR-15 in my 1br apartment closet for 5 years. In Russia, everybody gets a free tank on their fifteenth birthday. Serious

Edited by libertine