Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 26 September 2017

what about the server perfomance?
and is there in 0.63 version gonna be some changes to appletrees?

Did anyone else notice in the part of the video showing shaving with a knife that also causes scars to be removed as well? To me, this isn't very realistic as we wouldn't be able to do that in real life. It would be cooler to be able to shave and have scars gained remain on the character. Speaking of scars, it'd be cool if we could see scars from battles on our characters. I know we can't take our shirts off so we won't be able to see any scars that'd be on our torso but we'd be able to see scars on the visible parts of our bodies. Other than that, I can't wait for 0.63 as it sounds like it's going to be a game changing experience.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LordBlackwolf said:

Did anyone else notice in the part of the video showing shaving with a knife that also causes scars to be removed as well? To me, this isn't very realistic as we wouldn't be able to do that in real life. It would be cooler to be able to shave and have scars gained remain on the character. Speaking of scars, it'd be cool if we could see scars from battles on our characters. I know we can't take our shirts off so we won't be able to see any scars that'd be on our torso but we'd be able to see scars on the visible parts of our bodies. Other than that, I can't wait for 0.63 as it sounds like it's going to be a game changing experience.

Or your clothes could get bloody from bleeding? That would be neat.

• Like 1

About the idea of forcing ppl to use binocs and scopes as and argument for disabling ingame ZOOM:

Its a negative gameplay design. You are scrapping good feature and sacrificing the most important parametr of the gameplay - (forcing players interactions) just to FORCE players using more binocs and scopes.

I ask what is wrong with the usage of scopes and binocs now ? Both are extremly usefull and handy already now, ingame ZOOM cannot even be close to the usability of binocs and scopes. Both have a lot better/stronger zoom and only with them u can see details about players/their position in building close to window/their gear and actual behavior. Not to mention that shooting with scoped gun is always 10xbetter than with bear irons.

This argument is totally false. U want players to scan each area with binocs/scopes, each open space/change of terrain before they make any move further ? Really ? Epic slow and camping game style promoting - very bad.

Whats the most important is to ask yourself a question how to improve scopes and binocs in order to both have better value for players and therefore they gona be more likely happy to use it - not by forcing them by scraping other feature.

So now problem with binocs is its very clunky inconvenient mechanic - ur char is trapped in few animations, cant move instantly with propper agility if get caught and getting shot while being bino'd in to runaway from danger, if player is double carrying using binocs is double pain since he needs to drop gun from hands and afterwards pick it up.

So long story short you should fix those problems - which I hope is coming with new player controlling and make it convenient for players to use binocs - give it good xZoom and wide screen vision (so with wide screen view bino's have some advantage over gun scopes since they are more tunelled).

It should work this way that player no matter if double carrying/having gun in hand can almost instantly by the click and hold down of one button on the keyboard (B) is zoomed in with his binocs and on the B key release he is "un bino'd" to orginal state.

He should be able aswell to move while being bino'd in - ofcourse with the sacrifice of the "camera sway".

This mechanic will solve all presented above problems and make binos a go-to tool for every player. This is called positive game design - making feature working good and appealing for players instead of forcing em to use semi broken feature by scrapping other good and needed feature.

Scopes are fine as it is.

• Like 1

Wow. . Some of you posters are really butthurt over the idea of Eye-Zoom being lost. . Hah.

Can't say I agree with any of your points as I've always found it to be a rather silly feature that doesn't at all accurately represent what real eyes do to focus on a faraway object. However, to completely get rid of it is a huge change, I suppose.

@Baty Alquawen - Would it be possible to ask the Devs this question: Is it possible to make a compromise with the 'Eye-Zoom' and reduce its' zoom effect to about 1/3 of its' current power/distance? This would allow a more close-quartered eye-focus and would allow players to feel more capable when without a Scope/Bino.

If not possible, -I- am okay with making do without it. More player slots will be added eventually and that'll bring much more players into the same lands together. It will be different, yes, to keep an eye out with scopes/binos solely. . But I don't think it would really detract from the game. 

But that's my two cents. I realize that others may like other things. 

• Like 3

Unless the eyezoom is not a game breaking bug, why remove it? It's a BIS trademark as someone said. Same as Freelook. Both very handy when playing first person. But if removing zoom is the only way to get rid of that anoying texture flickering when zooming in and out. Then i kinda understand why it needs to go. I could live with that. But damn it would feel weird not having it in Dayz. As for 0.63. going experimental... wait is starting to feel too loooooooong.

• Like 1

It's funny how so many people are bitching and moaning about eye zoom being removed, but I bet those same people have no problem playing other games that don't have eye zoom just fine so if you can play other games without any type of eye zoom then  you should be able to play DayZ without it as well. 

• Like 2

The zoom feature is something old from dayz mod and unrealistic af. What we really need is more closer encounters, friendly or not.

47 minutes ago, calabacin2 said:

The zoom feature is something old from dayz mod and unrealistic af. What we really need is more closer encounters, friendly or not.

Once they allow more players per server then we should see more encounters between players but until then we won't see many encounters between players. Also, I think quite a few players do everything they can to avoid encounters so they don't lose their gear, etc. 

I'm for testing no eye zoom and also no view panning (which I guess simulates you moving around your head as you run forward). It's too easy to use geometry to your advantage when you can pan your camera view around. People hide in safety waiting for someone to come along who has zero chance to see that person, who can just pop up from his hidey spot and end their life (on a perma death game yeah?).. always really stank of unfair bordering on exploitation to me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Very sad to see BI take a head dive backwards into the past.  Remember that game-control of field of vision moves OUT as well as IN... this is not a "zoom" - it is a clever simulation of attention, concentration, hunting focus, and peripheral vision - the natural human binocular rangefinding and attention/ visulal-concentration & awareness abilities that cannot be depicted on a flat screen with no simulation effect.

100% accurate.

• Like 1

I'd rather have you remove 3rd person view.

It's shit, anyway, and only causes problems. Make DayZ a first person game and all those camera exploits are fixed.

• Like 6

I am a little confused about the reasons of removing the Eye_Zoom (for my focus). I am not a player of the Eye_Zoom often, but rarely, but with natural reason (I am not advocates and also not opponents of Eye_Zoom, me it is only about the technology / engine of the future)

I have the feeling that BI does not want to tell the full truth. There are simply too many controversies, I try to write once with my bad english.

1- as @gews already noticed the FOV / zoom factor for a long time ever more reduced, thus less and less effect. That tells me it is longer in the planning .. and say it only now.

2 - You are now saying that there are technical problems, now? it is strange that it is now where the FOV is smallest to all other patches, the problems with it in the focus of the Devs lie (lies in the context of the consoles version).

3 - It is intended to promote interaction and increase the use of binoculars and scopes. I think everyone takes scopes or binocs when he finds them, I take everything even if I'm not wearing a weapon, just because it's safe to scan your target, your permadeath depends on what is before you. clear if everyone can no longer Eye_Zoomen is it 1: 1 undecided. But is it really? is not it rather so that a player without Binocs or scopes then much more is at a disadvantage than another player of a Scope or Binoc possesses? to me it seems like the beggar and the king ... without middle class.

4 - It also gives me the impression that Devs do not know how to integrate Eye_Zoom with the new combat system (key settings problems) ... ok, the two mates have a new priority, but we are honest who has us only a 3 button_mouse for $ 10 if the hardware for DayZ requires a relatively high hardware? Key assignment is very induviduell, EXCEPT with consoles (again this point?)

5 - is the whole Eye_Zoom story something generally definitive? I mean we're talking here not just of DayZ, no, we're talking about Enfusion, the future of BI. How is this to be sold in other BI titles in the future that a "BI_Feature" no longer exists?  (was or is EyE_Zoom a "sales argument" for all the BI titles, if so, what is the argument to other titles, just a question, it is not my company).

in the end where is the real problem? I do not know, and all the points above speak against each other and for each other.

Edited by Sqeezorz
Edit little things ^^

10 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

I am a little confused about the reasons of removing the Eye_Zoom (for my focus). I am not a player of the Eye_Zoom often, but rarely, but with natural reason (I am not advocates and also not opponents of Eye_Zoom, me it is only about the technology / engine of the future)

I have the feeling that BI does not want to tell the full truth. There are simply too many controversies, I try to write once with my bad english.

1- as @gews already noticed the FOV / zoom factor for a long time ever more reduced, thus less and less effect. That tells me it is longer in the planning .. and say it only now.

2 - You are now saying that there are technical problems, now? it is strange that it is now where the FOV is smallest to all other patches, the problems with it in the focus of the Devs lie (lies in the context of the consoles version).

3 - It is intended to promote interaction and increase the use of binoculars and scopes. I think everyone takes scopes or binocs when he finds them, I take everything even if I'm not wearing a weapon, just because it's safe to scan your target, your permadeath depends on what is before you. clear if everyone can no longer Eye_Zoomen is it 1: 1 undecided. But is it really? is not it rather so that a player without Binocs or scopes then much more is at a disadvantage than another player of a Scope or Binoc possesses? to me it seems like the beggar and the king ... without middle class.

4 - It also gives me the impression that Devs do not know how to integrate Eye_Zoom with the new combat system (key settings problems) ... ok, the two mates have a new priority, but we are honest who has us nor a 3 button_mouse for $ 10 if the hardware for DayZ requires a relatively high hardware? Key assignment is very induviduell, EXCEPT with consoles (again this point?)

5 - is the whole Eye_Zoom story something generally definitive? I mean we're talking here not just of DayZ, no, we're talking about Enfusion, the future of BI. How is this to be sold in other BI titles in the future that a "BI_Feature" no longer exists?  (was or is EyE_Zoom a "sales argument" for all the BI titles, if so, what is the argument to other titles, just a question, it is not my company).

in the end where is the real problem? I do not know, and all the points above speak against each other and for each other.

They removed zoom for the gamescom demo, and it was said it wasn't set in stone for the finished game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

They removed zoom for the gamescom demo, and it was said it wasn't set in stone for the finished game.

The stone is a hard chunk ... a diamond ;-)

7 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

I would be ok with no zoom or less zoom when running because you don't really focus much when moving fast. Walking and standing still needs focus mode.

One little add. Also remove zoom from 3rd person. (Or remove the whole 3rd person if you're somehow going to remove the whole eye zoom... That's more broken thing.)

• Like 2

I get that the eye zoom (or focus/fov, whatever we're calling it) is cpu/gpu resource-heavy and obviously the devs are having real trouble with the 'instant' on and off rendering of textures.  That said, I think it's almost essential in 1PP, perhaps less so in 3PP.  Hopefully they can work it out and leave it in game.  Even if only for the future and for modding. I get that it may be on the cutting edge of what present hardware can render without problems *now*, but it's important to keep in mind that hardware continues to improve, as does the devs daily work on performance too.

Perhaps a resource-saving compromise is a better choice.  As @St. Jimmy mentioned above maybe zoom can be restricted to walking or standing, or maybe crouching.  Or with the new stamina model, when you are at rest your 100% stamina correlates to 100% zoom or clear focus. If you're 50% exhausted you get a rotation-blur or a recoil-like wobble or a similar function that restricts vision in correlation to your stamina level.    Players would learn quickly not to bother zooming until rested.  Just my 2c

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LordBlackwolf said:

It's funny how so many people are bitching and moaning about eye zoom being removed, but I bet those same people have no problem playing other games that don't have eye zoom just fine so if you can play other games without any type of eye zoom then  you should be able to play DayZ without it as well. 

So let's all go back to Doom ?  Any advances in simulation and realism on a flat 2D screen should be stamped out? 
<< Duke Nukem didn't have variable field of view so why should we?. >>

...  and those games didn't have even semi-realistic weapons so why does DayZ bother to attempt those? Lets have straight-line shooting and scrap ballistics. For years people have had no problem playing FPS games without ballistic effects.

And we also do this ridiculous 1PP - 3PP stuff which is a way of ZOOMING in and out from in front of your face to behind your OWN HEAD - how come no one is complaining about that?  You should all be HOWLING about how crazy that is. But I don't hear any complaints?  I thought you "eye zoom" flat-earthers HATED changing field of view?

So how do you explain switching from 1PP to 3PP except as a kind of "zoom" - (as some players call it) - what does it have to do with how human eyesight works?  .. er.. zero? .. But it's definitely a "zoom" effect. You should  "bitch and moan about"  it right?  

The IN/OUT field of view change in DayZ is very cunning, very well thought out, immersive, a clever simulation of RL vision - it has dozens of uses that simulate human eyesight over a range of experiences.

It should not be called "zoom" at all.  It has NOTHING to do with what you see through a scope or a pair of binoculars - in those "artificially magnified restricted field  optical-device" situations there is NO "zoom" in DayZ  because human eyesight does NOT operate in that way.

So let's scrap anything in DayZ that is not in "other games"  - Great -  It will sell better on consoles.   

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Espa said:

Would it be possible to ask the Devs this question: Is it possible to make a compromise with the 'Eye-Zoom' and reduce its' zoom effect to about 1/3 of its' current power/distance?

It was already reduced.

m8TZwy4.png

Right now we sit between 0.54 and 0.55. As for that other BI game, A3, it's the same as A2.

That's not a compromise you describe, it's a compromise right now in 0.62.

4 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

As @St. Jimmy mentioned above maybe zoom can be restricted to walking or standing, or maybe crouching.  Or with the new stamina model, when you are at rest your 100% stamina correlates to 100% zoom or clear focus. If you're 50% exhausted you get a rotation-blur or a recoil-like wobble or a similar function that restricts vision in correlation to your stamina level.    Players would learn quickly not to bother zooming until rested.  Just my 2c

Copy-paste:

"This 'zoom' doesn't represent some intense kind of focus, the basic range of FOV, minFOV to maxFOV, represents simply a normal vision of the kind you are using while reading this text."

And so it makes no sense to limit it because you're tired, or because you're standing upright instead of crouching down.

The normal vision range needs to be consistent and it needs to be always accessible.

• Like 3

I personally don't care if eye-zoom gets removed from the game but i'd rather prefer if the devs figure out this LOD problem. Some how making seamless LOD changes and optimizations so it's less noticeable when scoping/flying towards the objects. At the moment it seems that many games do not really bother with the visual implementation of LOD and focus on its purpose of performance improvements (Which is good but also bad). I know its contradictory to have quality LOD (when LOD's function is to REDUCE the quality of objects the further the viewer is from it) but i just thought fixing or improving it to support these things would be a priority for a new future engine. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 0:23 AM, OneStep said:

To add to this.
I also think that the view of the player should not follow the weapon sway when aiming down sights as it makes it really hard to scan for movement if your cam is constantly moving.
The human eye is really good at identifying movement, that is the main way we spot things - having the cam constantly move gets in the way.

I believe someone (Eugen? I'm paraphrasing.) said that it wasn't intended behavior and that the camera was attached to the gun's barrel in the Gamescom build, but there just wasn't enough time to change it for Gamescom.

21 hours ago, kopo79 said:

what about the server perfomance?
and is there in 0.63 version gonna be some changes to appletrees?

Apples will be physically hanging from the trees, and disappear when you pick them up one by one.
Searching for stones is also going to change to something similar -- you'll actually see rocks on the ground, not just in a texture.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Apples will be physically hanging from the trees, and disappear when you pick them up one by one.

Adding onto that, it would be cool if what you do is shake the tree and have those apples fall onto the floor. Would look neat

• Like 2

Eye zoom has been discussed Ad nauseam in other threads. The player controller looks nice can't wait to try vaulting and jumping over stuff and generally trying to break animation system.

I have five hundred some odd pictures from the past years of DayZ standalone of nothing but Goofy glitches and wonkiness :D I can't wait for more.

• Like 3