singlestiick !  - good show sir !

Edited by pilgrim*
jolly good chap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

singlestiick !  - good show sir !

Thank You For the BEANS, Sir! Yes, Sir! ;D

• Like 1

It's less the stick itself, more everything else. Momentum having no effect, letting you zip around dodging bullets with ease; the immediate knockout when the stick makes contact with the face; the way weapons handle period right now; lack of hit-based reactions; you name it. Seeing this really made me realize why people get so pissed with DayZ, and yet I still play it constantly. DayZ is like an abusive relationship

• Like 1

The video shows an absolutely demential and irritating power balance and character movement that makes possible to dodge everything better than in Matrix movie, damn! try to dance as MJ if a gun hits you in the chest or in a limb... come on! (yes, I know, "I understand", "It's still Alpha", "There's an alien invasion outbreaking", but these are anyway very, very bad issues).

Until a serious movement and damage system will be implemented, dealing with melee combat in this game will result in a very frustrating experience.

Anyway let's enjoy the positive sides of the actual game status: fortunately there's no "sand grains" or "tin cans" as weapons, otherwise their effects hitting a player, compared with a gun shot, could be worse than nuke or granade explosions.

PS: I still trust and appreciate a lot the developers effort and I love this game, but let me express some disappointment about the actual game status.

• Like 1

I have to say that the game shows a series of unacceptable mistakes.

But this is a new thing: How to kill a player with a toothpick.  Ahahaha  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldfossil said:

The video shows an absolutely demential and irritating power balance

Yes ,it shows a determined fellow with a decent stick demonstrating (- masterly! - ) how to get the better of a demented crazed armed street-bum who has no idea how to aim or use his damn firearm effectively  - just another gang bum who can't control his actions his mouth or his weapon  .. It is not TheWalkingManZ's  'FAULT'  he is not shot dead -  he is just BETTER at close combat, he thinks faster, he has rapid judgement and skill, he closes the distance to take full advantage of his own weapon, and completely confuses and subdues the hooligan who thought he was chasing down an  innocent unarmed civilian for a quick murder.

If you don't want to get involved in the dance of death, don't blame DayZ,  just don't go there - don't step into the circle !

- Let this be a lesson to you all, you scoundrels !  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pilgrim* said:

Yes ,it shows a determined fellow with a decent stick demonstrating (- masterly! - ) how to get the better of a demented crazed armed street-bum who has no idea how to aim or use his damn firearm effectively  - just another gang bum who can't control his actions his mouth or his weapon  .. It is not TheWalkingManZ's  'FAULT'  he is not shot dead -  he is just BETTER at close combat, he thinks faster, he has rapid judgement and skill, he closes the distance to take full advantage of his own weapon, and completely confuses and subdues the hooligan who thought he was chasing down an  innocent unarmed civilian for a quick murder.

If you don't want to get involved in the dance of death, don't blame DayZ,  just don't go there - don't step into the circle !

A pure and incomparable lesson of demential gameplay... try to face someone pointing a gun at you with a toothpick IRL... I bet for a total different ending of the story respect to the video.

Cheers and enjoy the game

10 hours ago, Zyriun said:

It's less the stick itself, more everything else. Momentum having no effect, letting you zip around dodging bullets with ease; the immediate knockout when the stick makes contact with the face; the way weapons handle period right now; lack of hit-based reactions; you name it. Seeing this really made me realize why people get so pissed with DayZ, and yet I still play it constantly. DayZ is like an abusive relationship

Yeah, I agree but it's not just the dodging bullets, inertia, physics problems, etc. alone, it's also the player's experience, skills and quick decision making. Yes, problems exist, but the problems are not the only thing that keeps you alive in DayZ. It's the Player's Experience and Skills also play a role. Aside from superhuman dodging, I have good reaction and reflex and am good with melee weapons in general, the guy wasn't that good with his gun, tbh, or didn't know how to handle the situation better. I've been "killed" by experienced players who knew how to aim, shoot or handle it better when I was attacking them with a melee weapon. In the video, if I was him, I'd mostly likely would "kill" the stick guy despite all the current issues. But of course, it'll change and get better.

In a perfect situation, Experienced players with Good Aim should be able to stop the melee attackers from a fair distance before they get too close. And Experienced Melee fighters should be able to knock players down in full contact. In other words, there should be a Good Balance or Experienced Player vs. Inexperienced, plus Being Smart & Lucky. Making a mistake or outsmarting is the thing in DayZ.

And, we also shouldn't forget the "Gun vs. Knife" and the 20' rule. Knives are deadly if you're only 6-10 feet away from the gun man. Bullets don't always stop the attacker. Guns are tricky. Especially if you're inexperienced and in stressful situations.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Exactly! I've already replied to some of the comments here. Saying that it's NOT just the game's problems, yes, game has problems atm, but... it's also the players experience, melee or gun skills, quick decision making, outsmarting, good aiming, etc. that effect the player's survival. I have good reaction time and reflex in general in any PC games. I have good melee skills in DayZ. An experienced player with good gun skills and quick thinking would've killed me :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldfossil said:

The video shows an absolutely demential and irritating power balance and character movement that makes possible to dodge everything better than in Matrix movie, damn! try to dance as MJ if a gun hits you in the chest or in a limb... come on! (yes, I know, "I understand", "It's still Alpha", "There's an alien invasion outbreaking", but these are anyway very, very bad issues).

Until a serious movement and damage system will be implemented, dealing with melee combat in this game will result in a very frustrating experience.

Anyway let's enjoy the positive sides of the actual game status: fortunately there's no "sand grains" or "tin cans" as weapons, otherwise their effects hitting a player, compared with a gun shot, could be worse than nuke or granade explosions.

PS: I still trust and appreciate a lot the developers effort and I love this game, but let me express some disappointment about the actual game status.

I've been "killed" many times by players who knew what to do, how to shoot, when to shoot, etc. despite all the current game issues.

Yes, the game has problems atm and it'll get better in the future. In DayZ, even when there are problems, it also depends on the player's skills, experience, quick thinking, outsmarting, outplaying, gaming skills, etc. Let's say, 60% was DayZ's fault, but 40% was the player's fault? Can't be 100% DayZ's fault :D

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree but it's not just the dodging bullets, inertia, physics problems, etc. alone, it's also the player's experience, skills and quick decision making. Yes, problems exist, but the problems are not the only thing that keeps you alive in DayZ. It's the Player's Experience and Skills also play a role. Aside from superhuman dodging, I have good reaction and reflex and am good with melee weapons in general, the guy wasn't that good with his gun, tbh, or didn't know how to handle the situation better. I've been "killed" by experienced players who knew how to aim, shoot or handle it better when I was attacking them with a melee weapon. In the video, if I was him, I'd mostly likely would "kill" the stick guy despite all the current issues. But of course, it'll change and get better.

In a perfect situation, Experienced players with Good Aim should be able to stop the melee attackers from a fair distance before they get too close. And Experienced Melee fighters should be able to knock players down in full contact. In other words, there should be a Good Balance or Experienced Player vs. Inexperienced, plus Being Smart & Lucky. Making a mistake or outsmarting is the thing in DayZ.

And, we also shouldn't forget the "Gun vs. Knife" and the 20' rule. Knives are deadly if you're only 6-10 feet away from the gun man. Bullets don't always stop the attacker. Guns are tricky. Especially if you're inexperienced and in stressful situations.

You're right, I really liked what you wrote and I agree with you.

Experience and how to stick is not discussed are part of the player's baggage.

Let's hope, however, that arms relations are made better in such a way as to have a reality closer to the real one:)

Edited by Fede Fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWalkingManZ said:

IYes, the game has problems atm and it'll get better in the future. In DayZ, even when there are problems, it also depends on the player's skills, experience, quick thinking, outsmarting, outplaying, gaming skills, etc. Let's say, 60% was DayZ's fault, but 40% was the player's fault? Can't be 100% DayZ's fault :D

"Realistic" close combat in an online game requires built-in VERY thought-out sets of combos and actions to illustrate them, and complex anti-lag calculation, and is usually tried ONLY in a special circumstance game - I mean ie face off with swords, or sword against axe and shield, or spear, armor .. blocking, movement parry and striking moves & several combo moves, all animated in "realtime", so the other player can react... This is a set piece structure, although it "looks" realistic (if well done). BUT it is hard to imagine this working as just "one element" among many, in a game like DayZ. This sort of melee is for games 90% ABOUT Melee.

Does anyone know of a realistic melee game online where the melee is not the Main Point of the game, and nearly all the rest of the game is subservient to that?
Does such online game exist..?? 

Are we talking about stealth, karate strikes, groin or neck punches, disarming, kicks, knees, teeth, knife blocking (deliberately accepting arm or hand wounds to capture the opponents blade?) breaking ribs, tripping, kneecapping, wrestling, incapacitating, punch-strike, daze, blood-loss effects, multiple different strike zones on each body? ...  This is very complex set-piece gameplay.. Is there really any game that incorporates something like this without it being the POINT of the game?

Or, seriously.. in DayZ  if you want to simply shoot an unarmed victim, =  stay WELL AWAY from him and SHOOT. 

If you stand a foot away in a melee and try to shoot, he'll just twist the gun on your wrist (leaving you with your good hand blocked, if not ruined) while he's head-butting you. The odds of gun/no-gun winner would still be 50-50 if neither person had any other advantage. A gun may really not be useful in a melee .. hmm .. unless you can club with it?.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

"Realistic" close combat in an online game requires built-in VERY thought-out sets of combos and actions to illustrate them, and complex anti-lag calculation, and is usually tried ONLY in a special circumstance game - I mean ie face off with swords, or sword against axe and shield, or spear, armor .. blocking, movement parry and striking moves & several combo moves, all animated in "realtime", so the other player can react... This is a set piece structure, although it "looks" realistic (if well done). BUT it is hard to imagine this working as just "one element" among many, in a game like DayZ. This sort of melee is for games 90% ABOUT Melee.

Does anyone know of a realistic melee game online where the melee is not the Main Point of the game, and nearly all the rest of the game is subservient to that?
Does such online game exist..?? 

Are we talking about stealth, karate strikes, groin or neck punches, disarming, kicks, knees, teeth, knife blocking (deliberately accepting arm or hand wounds to capture the opponents blade?) breaking ribs, tripping, kneecapping, wrestling, incapacitating, punch-strike, daze, blood-loss effects, multiple different strike zones on each body? ...  This is very complex set-piece gameplay.. Is there really any game that incorporates something like this without it being the POINT of the game?

Or, seriously.. in DayZ  if you want to simply shoot an unarmed victim, =  stay WELL AWAY from him and SHOOT. 

If you stand a foot away in a melee and try to shoot, he'll just twist the gun on your wrist (leaving you with your good hand blocked, if not ruined) while he's head-butting you. The odds of gun/no-gun winner would still be 50-50 if neither person had any other advantage. A gun may really not be useful in a melee .. hmm .. unless you can club with it?.

:D at the first couple paragraphs...

In my opinion, DayZ is the only game that is as realistic as it gets. Not sure about Arma, haven't played it enough to know (played the demo). And don't know any other games that are as realistic as DayZ. Most of them are cartoonish. The only other game I like is the Chivalry Medieval Warfare (old game with not many players.) Games are games, entertainment, etc. and it is what it is in this time and age. And... simulations are another vast topic :)

But in DayZ, right now, or even in the future, if you gonna shoot, make sure you do it right. Melee combat is chaotic and unpredictable, but can still be controlled by the player. I use my own Melee tactics and strategies gained from my experience and they work well most of the time. I hate to compare it to Real Life, but have to, as an example to explain an idea. Even in Real Life, it's hard to use your gun and point at your target in chaotic full contact fights. Unless you are lucky or at least a trained professional. Even professionals mess things up.

And yeah, DayZ is as Realistic as It Gets :) so it has basic combat and survival mechanisms, so one should learn then and use them right. Imagine a small room with limited tools and you have to escape... using creativity and limited resources... same thing ;)

*Edit: Yeah, using guns as melee would be cool if it's possible to implement it.

Edited by TheWalkingManZ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fede Fox said:

I have to say that the game shows a series of unacceptable mistakes.

But this is a new thing: How to kill a player with a toothpick.  Ahahaha

Put a toothpick in the patch and I'll show you a video of me killing a geared player with AUG... LOL! ;)

• Like 3

Put a toothpick in the patch and I'll show you a video of me killing a geared player with AUG... LOL! ;)

Ahahah  Ok I will do . :)

• Like 2

It would be do-able in DayZ to have one key to swing or club or with a gun butt (rifle) or to strike with a handgun (strike like a blunt instrument) if you were already holding it  .. this would be fine for zombies, for keeping quiet, for running out of ammo -   various stuff..
If the devs were interested I think  they could include that without rewriting the game.. (yes devs?) 

It is not a new action and it makes good sense.  ATM you can't defend yourself with an empty rifle even against someone with bare fists or a meat tenderizer, you just stand and take it or put your rifle carefully back on your shoulder before you even get mad at him ( ... & lets not mention bayonets  !!  )

They devs have already shown a demo of reacting to blows, on it's way - That will change the feel of melee a lot.

Also - left handedness & right handedness - plus the above, to add interesting new steps to the DZ death dance  

• Like 1