Sign in to follow this  
pilgrim*

DaRT on SA - or other rcon tool?

Hi folks:

DaRT rcon tool seems to be out of date and not supported or updated  now - am I wrong?

What other tool can be used by Admins on DayZ StandAlone? Seems they are using DaRT but it is vulnerable. 

Suggestions?

There is a WELL KNOWN exploit vulnerability in DaRT which has not been addressed for a year. It seems this exploit is now WIDELY known.

I am asking on behalf of a friend who has English as a second language, big difficulty with technical explanations
- ie This is not my problem, but it looks like a real DAYZ COMMUNITY problem.

- right ??

Any suggestions? Any good alternatives to DaRT?

xxp

What is the vulnerability? Since it's open source, maybe I can find it and fix it if I can commit to their repository.

3 hours ago, IMT said:

What is the vulnerability? Since it's open source, maybe I can find it and fix it if I can commit to their repository.

Hi IMT,

What  Soptan is trying to say - I understand -  (as far as I can tell, including X private explanations messaged between us)  - is that his kick or ban file in  DaRT is not picking up Unicode chars or not passing them on, so whatever non-unicode player-name he puts in his list ( eg , ԪՌט؁ ߷ࢅওઓ ) DaRT reconverts, giving the kick name " ������� " .. which doesn't work, natch.

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/237131-cheaters-russian-letters/#comment-2376883

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/237431-what-can-we-do/#comment-2379604

OK,  as you can see - our DayZ blog has no probs with the extended character set.

The DayZTV ad for DaRT is still the original plug from 2015

In 2015 Domistile (the original coder) said DaRT was not tested with SA (stated on this DZ blog), then I think he moved off the project.
Jan 2017 - NeiroN (also on our DZ blog) said he was taking over.  But no info from him since : His github ref is :

https://github.com/NeiroNx/DaRT

I don't have DaRT that I can test here. This is a simple mistake, or a mess, or the crew has moved on.
Would be nice at least to know if Soptan has the wrong end of the stick. Or if this is as widespread a problem on Community servers as he claims.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim*
~

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Hi IMT,

What  Soptan is trying to say - I understand -  (as far as I can tell, including X private explanations messaged between us)  - is that his kick or ban file in  DaRT is not picking up Unicode chars or not passing them on, so whatever non-unicode player-name he puts in his list ( eg , ԪՌט؁ ߷ࢅওઓ ) DaRT reconverts, giving the kick name " ������� " .. which doesn't work, natch.

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/237131-cheaters-russian-letters/#comment-2376883

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/237431-what-can-we-do/#comment-2379604

OK,  as you can see - our DayZ blog has no probs with the extended character set.

The DayZTV ad for DaRT is still the original plug from 2015

In 2015 Domistile (the original coder) said DaRT was not tested with SA (stated on this DZ blog), then I think he moved off the project.
Jan 2017 - NeiroN (also on our DZ blog) said he was taking over.  But no info from him since : His github ref is :

https://github.com/NeiroNx/DaRT

I don't have DaRT that I can test here. This is a simple mistake, or a mess, or the crew has moved on.
Would be nice at least to know if Soptan has the wrong end of the stick. Or if this is as widespread a problem on Community servers as he claims.

xx pilgrim

It might be the BattleNET library where the conversion goes wrong. Strings in C# use Unicode by default so I believe there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Of course it is pretty annoying this happens. Hopefully they will look into it.

• Like 1

Ԫ

10 hours ago, IMT said:

It might be the BattleNET library where the conversion goes wrong. Strings in C# use Unicode by default so I believe there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Of course it is pretty annoying this happens. Hopefully they will look into it.

I thought it might be down to a config file or similar,- eg perhaps the Mod opened one of his files in Notepad to change something (add a name?) and saved it again, not realizing he saved it in ANSI - 

A "more serious" possibility -  if you look at the example I give of a "extended character" name - you see that part of this name is in Arabic, which is written right to left - so would need to be saved and read in big-endian with control characters before and after.. But for instance UTF-8 will only accept the control character at the beginning and end of a script not anywhere in the middle...

If on my Win7-64  I cut and paste the above "arabic-style" char sequence into Notepad, the control chars are replaced by " | | "  - but if I cut and paste THAT again from Notepad to DayZ blog, or to Word or OpenOffice - the control block characters are reproduced correctly in the blog and in Word. Then in Wordpad ONLY one of the two control chars is reproduced (wrongly but differently) - it shows me " |?| "  instead of ..." | | " .. When visualized correctly it should be " Ԫ "
Here on windows I can save the correct original full string as text only ANSI, open it, and it still does not show correctly but I can cut and paste it into - eg Word - and all the original chars are present.

<<
The UCS-2 and UTF-16 encodings specify the Unicode Byte Order Mark (BOM) for use at the beginnings of text files, which may be used for byte ordering detection (or byte endianness detection). The BOM, code point U+FEFF has the important property of unambiguity on byte reorder, regardless of the Unicode encoding used; U+FFFE (the result of byte-swapping U+FEFF) does not equate to a legal character, and U+FEFF in other places, other than the beginning of text, conveys the zero-width non-break space (a character with no appearance and no effect other than preventing the formation of ligatures).

>>

Also now we have UTF-16 and UTF-32, plus a Unix/Linux machine at one end and Widows XX at the other running the DaRT interface. Plus some unicode compression systems being employed, and - AND - (among other stuff) the Chinese getting off on GB18030   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB_18030

these are my thoughts. Perhaps I'm looking the wrong way entirely.

Possibly someone somewhere is publishing a list of game names or individual chars, that 'LOOK OK' ingame, but do not give the Unicode value that they "appear" to show .. so can't be correctly filed - so not kicked, banned or listed. Hard to get  clear info out of Soptan and I can't see his stuff first hand.  This SEEMS to be his beef, definitely. 

I'm not equipped here to go further .. and jeez, I  have stuff to DO, etc. I'm translating requirements & tech specifications for a EU games ( graphics & game design ) company that has its programming & platform conversions right-now done by a non-French first-language team on the far side of the EU who need their working instructions in English.  Which requires about as much "careful thought" as I can put into the day, ya know? 

also  - thanx IMT.

Maybe someone will suggest an alternative to DaRT that is current and functional for SA on public hive Community rules?

Edited by pilgrim*

yeah its done :) baty just helped us :) very thank you pilgrim and baty. well Dart still dosnt work, and its not realy fast or easy, but it work :) we can kick them now. you are welcome to play on tatort chernarus :)

4 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Ԫ

I thought it might be down to a config file or similar,- eg perhaps the Mod opened one of his files in Notepad to change something (add a name?) and saved it again, not realizing he saved it in ANSI - 

A "more serious" possibility -  if you look at the example I give of a "extended character" name - you see that part of this name is in Arabic, which is written right to left - so would need to be saved and read in big-endian with control characters before and after.. But for instance UTF-8 will only accept the control character at the beginning and end of a script not anywhere in the middle...

If on my Win7-64  I cut and paste the above "arabic-style" char sequence into Notepad, the control chars are replaced by " | | "  - but if I cut and paste THAT again from Notepad to DayZ blog, or to Word or OpenOffice - the control block characters are reproduced correctly in the blog and in Word. Then in Wordpad ONLY one of the two control chars is reproduced (wrongly but differently) - it shows me " |?| "  instead of ..." | | " .. When visualized correctly it should be " Ԫ "
Here on windows I can save the correct original full string as text only ANSI, open it, and it still does not show correctly but I can cut and paste it into - eg Word - and all the original chars are present.

<<
The UCS-2 and UTF-16 encodings specify the Unicode Byte Order Mark (BOM) for use at the beginnings of text files, which may be used for byte ordering detection (or byte endianness detection). The BOM, code point U+FEFF has the important property of unambiguity on byte reorder, regardless of the Unicode encoding used; U+FFFE (the result of byte-swapping U+FEFF) does not equate to a legal character, and U+FEFF in other places, other than the beginning of text, conveys the zero-width non-break space (a character with no appearance and no effect other than preventing the formation of ligatures).

>>

Also now we have UTF-16 and UTF-32, plus a Unix/Linux machine at one end and Widows XX at the other running the DaRT interface. Plus some unicode compression systems being employed, and - AND - (among other stuff) the Chinese getting off on GB18030   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB_18030

these are my thoughts. Perhaps I'm looking the wrong way entirely.

Possibly someone somewhere is publishing a list of game names or individual chars, that 'LOOK OK' ingame, but do not give the Unicode value that they "appear" to show .. so can't be correctly filed - so not kicked, banned or listed. Hard to get  clear info out of Soptan and I can't see his stuff first hand.  This SEEMS to be his beef, definitely. 

I'm not equipped here to go further .. and jeez, I  have stuff to DO, etc. I'm translating requirements & tech specifications for a EU games ( graphics & game design ) company that has its programming & platform conversions right-now done by a non-French first-language team on the far side of the EU who need their working instructions in English.  Which requires about as much "careful thought" as I can put into the day, ya know? 

also  - thanx IMT.

Maybe someone will suggest an alternative to DaRT that is current and functional for SA on public hive Community rules?

It is an encoding issue, that's for sure. Now the question is the "where" part. What I can gather from quickly looking at the code is that the DaRT tool either gets or sends information.

I think we can do very little here except for giving advice for an alternative. But since I know little about the rcon for DayZ server, I can't help you in that department. Maybe asking the other server admins what they use would be the best option.

Good luck with your requirements & specifications translation. No offense to any French people but they aren't so good at English.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IMT said:

It is an encoding issue, that's for sure. Now the question is the "where" part. What I can gather from quickly looking at the code is that the DaRT tool either gets or sends information.

I think we can do very little here except for giving advice for an alternative. But since I know little about the rcon for DayZ server, I can't help you in that department. Maybe asking the other server admins what they use would be the best option.

Good luck with your requirements & specifications translation. No offense to any French people but they aren't so good at English.

Well, the Brits are generally not great at French (brit tourists here) . The problem is, French tech people SWEAR they are fluent inEng  ( its usually a job requirement ) but some of them are 'not really so hot'. They can explain GREAT hardcore technology in French, but if they have to write it down in English it gets hairy, but they still SWEAR they can; but 85% they Definitely Can't -  Another variation of the 'nerd genius' anomaly.. I guess.. 

still, it's only hardware and software - it's 100% easier than translating medical terminology/ biotech, or philosophy (eek) . People who have to go-between in those fields become mad quickly. 
Unlike myself.   :))   I read Kant in English for relaxation, to calm myself down. Did you know there is Only One Space?  .. beautiful .. er.. well .. OK.. maybe some other time...  

Thanks for the help.
We are trying to sort out a new interface for Soptan - but also Baty A. has just now told him how to run with what he has (his message above) so things are looking up.

xx pilgrim

• Like 1