Sign in to follow this  
Baroness

How messed up The Village community is.

@emuthreat and I hopped on The Village server 2-3 days ago to check it out and see what was up and how the community operates.

We help out, emu brings them a truck loaded with 11 cows worth of food and pelts, and we generally try to be helpful and friendly.

But yesterday morning things took a turn for the worst as I come to find out that these guys are so thoroughly unorganized and chaotic that it makes me want to cry a little. Nobody is truly in charge, the guards with the green armbands are self-appointed and you don't have a clear idea of who you can trust or not. The camp is not secured properly and bandits keep shooting through tents at the villagers. All in all just complete chaos that made us dizzy.

I actually had to teach some guys how to flank from behind as they had absolutely no idea what was going on and how to get the shooter from behind the wall. Later during the evening, this happened...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173318991

0/10 would not frequent the village again.

• Like 4

It doesn't surprise me, to be honest. It's an huge camp which literally everyone has access to. It will be one big clusterfuck of people not trusting each other, trolls and bandits killing people and everyone freaks out and suspect everyone.

• Like 2

There is no appropriate word other than clusterfuck to describe this social experiment.

Firstly, the location is completely wrong for what they are trying to do.  There is a rule that only in-game VOIP may be used in the camp, which makes the small area surrounding the central tower an ungodly cacophony of too many people trying to communicate in too small an area.

The castle itself is not able to be secured in any meaningfully effective manner.  There is no ability to control entry to the camp, aside from random itchy trigger fingers staring at the entry.

All of the weapons are hoarded inside the tower, which is controlled by a semi-organized of self-appointed guards in lime green armbands.  Nothing of value is ever to be found in there anyway; there were multiple double barrel shotguns taking up barrel space while hacksaws lay all over the floor, and as one moves higher up in the tower, you find increasingly large piles of useful non-weapon shit that should rightly be made available to the villagers by storing it in any of the mostly completely empty tents lining the edges of the castle yard.  Everything seems to be stolen opportunistically whenever one looks away.

On my first visit to the village, I brought two wolf pelts, and asked the farmer if I could store them there while I went out to look for some lime of my own, and one more to contribute to his farm.  I came back with two bags of lime, only to find myself with one wolf pelt missing.
Knowing that it was going to take a serious amount of resources to get anything done, I set off with Art to look for a truck.  He had to log off soon, and turned back towards the castle.  I eventually found a truck, and on my way back, I packed it full of 11 cows worth of pelts and steaks.

Upon coming back to the village, I was fired upon near the brick archway house with the well and was forced to stop short and run to alert the camp.  I was met with a mostly ambivalent response, so after starting the process of tanning some pelts, I went to retrieve the truck, alone...
 I drove the truck up to right next to the walls, and got a little bit of help from a Groze, whom we arrived with initially.  After getting killed during the incursion by WD, I made my way back up to the village, only to find my cargo truck still sitting there half-full of meat and pelts.

I proceed to make myself a leather suit, and go out to find some more nails to finish making it black.  When I come back with my new box of nails to make a backpack, I find some guy in a bleu beret with a green guard armband helping himself to a leather backpack.

The guards seem to be good for little more than standing around looking important, and helping themselves to the best of what is brought into the village.  There is no concept of individual possessions, and no respect for those that have fallen in service of the village.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

There is no appropriate word other than clusterfuck to describe this social experiment.

Firstly, the location is completely wrong for what they are trying to do.  There is a rule that only in-game VOIP may be used in the camp, which makes the small area surrounding the central tower an ungodly cacophony of too many people trying to communicate in too small an area.

The castle itself is not able to be secured in any meaningfully effective manner.  There is no ability to control entry to the camp, aside from random itchy trigger fingers staring at the entry.

All of the weapons are hoarded inside the tower, which is controlled by a semi-organized of self-appointed guards in lime green armbands.  Nothing of value is ever to be found in there anyway; there were multiple double barrel shotguns taking up barrel space while hacksaws lay all over the floor, and as one moves higher up in the tower, you find increasingly large piles of useful non-weapon shit that should rightly be made available to the villagers by storing it in any of the mostly completely empty tents lining the edges of the castle yard.  Everything seems to be stolen opportunistically whenever one looks away.

On my first visit to the village, I brought two wolf pelts, and asked the farmer if I could store them there while I went out to look for some lime of my own, and one more to contribute to his farm.  I came back with two bags of lime, only to find myself with one wolf pelt missing.
Knowing that it was going to take a serious amount of resources to get anything done, I set off with Art to look for a truck.  He had to log off soon, and turned back towards the castle.  I eventually found a truck, and on my way back, I packed it full of 11 cows worth of pelts and steaks.

Upon coming back to the village, I was fired upon near the brick archway house with the well and was forced to stop short and run to alert the camp.  I was met with a mostly ambivalent response, so after starting the process of tanning some pelts, I went to retrieve the truck, alone...
 I drove the truck up to right next to the walls, and got a little bit of help from a Groze, whom we arrived with initially.  After getting killed during the incursion by WD, I made my way back up to the village, only to find my cargo truck still sitting there half-full of meat and pelts.

I proceed to make myself a leather suit, and go out to find some more nails to finish making it black.  When I come back with my new box of nails to make a backpack, I find some guy in a bleu beret with a green guard armband helping himself to a leather backpack.

The guards seem to be good for little more than standing around looking important, and helping themselves to the best of what is brought into the village.  There is no concept of individual possessions, and no respect for those that have fallen in service of the village.

Well, since everything is allowed on the server, we can always see and test how far we get by trying to take it over the hard way. :)

• Like 2

Baroness and I spent the later half of last night trying to establish a splinter cell by taking redacted to our server to show him how things can be done. As soon as I get my kit back from the wolf fail at Tisy last night, I'll be back on the village to set up an alternative.

Edited by emuthreat

We are Gods. He said it. His reaction to our metropolis was totally worth it. 

23 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

That was almost too difficult to watch.

Imagine living it. Lol. These kids have so much to learn. 

6 minutes ago, Baroness said:

Imagine living it. Lol. These kids have so much to learn. 

kind of medieval ? Isn't this what happens when society starts from scratch after an apocalypse.  Law & order, and the rights and the responsibilities of each citizen are  poorly understood in Western Democracy, and that's after maybe 1500+ years of clan loyalties, betrayals, banditry, rule of the strongest and Feudalism.  Justice is a difficult concept. But to cut the process short, start half way, begin with Cesare Borgia and work up.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Borgia

??

2 hours ago, Baroness said:

Sure, but this isn't a role-playing server. 

?? - so you can't say - "You're acting stupid, don't do that again or me and these people are going to shoot you in the leg and beat you with bats" ?? ..  Is that role playing?  I'm pointing out that folk have always influenced other people, even if they do it 100% by being themselves (in this case, in front of a PC screen).  Any group of people, real or virtual, has elements of indifference, fun, organization, theft, leadership, lols, friendship, violence,  revenge, punishment, mistakes, generosity  .. Everyone deals with that stuff the way they see fit, without any role playing. 
Societies in DayZ tend to be (as everyone knows and expects) - primitive/casual - or authoritarian (boss mod, or boss clan) - or small groups of 3 or 4 trustworthy friends who watch each other's backs.. These are 3 classics, what else could there be?  So just clean up the town if you feel like it, without any 'role play'. That would be making a movement from a chaotic towards a more orderly society, just because you felt you wanted to do that, and maybe thought you could gain support for it..  
It's one of the many things a player can do in DayZ.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 3

I'm not looking for support just relating an experience :) 

Xxx

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Baroness said:

I'm not looking for support just relating an experience :) 

Xxx

No problem, me too - have fun.  Look what a fun life Cesare Borgia had and he wasn't role playing either.  Imagine living it.
The tale was interesting. Beans I give you.
& a big hug to Emuthreat.. what is he like when he loses his cool? .. does that happen?
(just wondering)

xxp

• Like 1

As you can hear in the video that's pretty much it in terms of losing his cool :) 

• Like 3

Us Experimental crew are not the typical player.

You guys know this.

Random is as random does.

Well then.. I guess this is what a DDoSed server does...

3TWRYjB.png

hBSGwV0.png

sJxsNUe.png

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 7:33 AM, Baroness said:

We help out, emu brings them a truck loaded with 11 cows worth of food and pelts

what compelled you guys to give those fools so much food if you didnt know them ? 

8 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

what compelled you guys to give those fools so much food if you didnt know them ? 

I cannot speak for emu but I guess when you join a community like that, it is a good idea to start helping out. To be a part of it. I also think that by doing this, we gain an advantage /edge and we can barter for other goods and '' services ''. 

It sounds like you expected organisation would occur organically and quickly found out it doesn't!. There is no rule of law.

In my experience, it has been a craps shoot but totally organic emergent gameplay. Using only in-game chat really makes it authentic. The quickest way to die as a new arrival, is taking a gun out, using teamspeak, looking like you are using teamspeak or skulking, never skulk. You have to slowly gain their trust, and even then, watch your back. Use your skills of negotiation and deescalation.

My first trip to the (old) village, I radioed ahead but actually arrived as it was under heavy attack, myself and two other new arrivals sheltered in the back of the log cabin. I was picked up by a small group of defenders and sent into action. Surviving the first round, I fell back to the medical hut and familiarised myself with those sheltering inside. Eventually after trading spare gear, I went out to fight together with those I first met. I didn't last long, being first into the breach was my mistake, I only hope those that were behind me gave justice.

When I next visited the village, I bumped into someone I'd met while playing on another server. He was the closest thing I had to someone I could trust, despite him once shooting me in the guts in a non-consensual game of Russian roulette!

Arriving at the village, reminded me of arriving at the dog park, everyone "Checking Pulses" of the new arrivals like dogs sniffing butts!

It's been a great place to round up a group of strangers and go out on an adventure but equally it can be a great place to go to swiftly die.

Last time I was there someone who had been there for a long time shot my friend for no reason as we prepared to leave, I killed the perpetrator and expected that I'd be quickly dispatched too. Instead I was hit over the back of the head with a shovel and tied up. When I awoke I was questioned and someone who I'd been out on a loot run vouched for me. I was untied and free to go. Still, it didn't save my gear, while I was out anything of any worth was pilfered from my reposed body.

It's early days, people are learning who to trust and how to be trusted but the village is quickly evolving. Maybe a leader will emerge, I'm imagining an Aunty Entity (Tina Turner in Thunderdome). Maybe @Baroness you are our Aunty and @emuthreat is our Master Blaster!

My last advice is, if something doesn't seem right, if your spidey senses tingle, get out, run, hide. 

Edited by Five_Seven_Clown
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Five_Seven_Clown said:

My last advice is, if something doesn't seem right, if your spidey senses tingle, get out, run, hide. 

I've gone with the strategy of setting up an outpost of my own from which to work, and hopefully can gain reputation among the villagers as a competent hunter and scavenger.

Last time I was there, I would have started hosing people down if I had an automatic rifle.  It was that bad.

• Like 3

Yes, here comes your new khaleesi :D

In all seriousness, we will gain control over the resources quite quickly and see what happens next. 

Edited by Baroness
  • Like 1

Spidey senses didn't have time to tingle when I was last in there. We announced ourselves as friendly but since I bore a passing resemblance to another hostile player, I was shot on sight without so much as an interrogation beforehand. Would the guy had spoken to me first he would have noticed I wasn't the guy he was looking for, as I have a very distinct female voice and accent. 

We are better organized and I'll just stick with my group for now and not mingle too much. We'll see how everything goes. 

• Like 1

Of course, this is why DayZ the dressup simulator is so important, you have to work on your unique "look" for recognition, I see many villagers have opted for bright colours or mismatched outfits. I think it helps immensely in those large groups. I'm wary of anyone in full mil gear while I'm there.

I've opted for biker jackets and ball caps.

PS The video shows you are not using voice chat. As the server message says, try playing with just in-game voip.

Edited by Five_Seven_Clown

6 hours ago, Five_Seven_Clown said:

PS The video shows you are not using voice chat. As the server message says, try playing with just in-game voip.

yeah. I had a bit of trouble tracking down the rules of the server at first, that was before the village got its own webpage.  I even made the mistake of using direct text chat once in the tower when I was pissed about Baroness getting shot for wearing the wrong colors. LoL

Do you know if it is outright bannable to use ts while trying to link up, or if it is okay for friends to chat on 3rd party while separated, but just not in mixed company?  I've got a radio now anyways, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Suppose, the only way they'd know is if my dumb ass posted it again...

At any rate, I met a nice fellow named "Tuna" (23) up at Tisy while the server was having some issues.  I saw him run past my position at a few different places, and finally called out to him at the tents.
We had a nice chat, and he gave me a couple full 60 rd stanags, and assured me I'd be wasting my time looting the rest of the base.  I definitely have a dozen steaks waiting for him next time we meet.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, pilgrim* said:

what is he like when he loses his cool? .. does that happen?

I think running around the castle demanding to speak to the person in charge kinda does count as having lost my cool. It was fun though.  Apparently yelling demands at  a confused anarchic village that just randomly shot my companion is not the best way to handle the situation.

But hey, at least I managed to save Chappie (and steal most of his ammo), amid the chaos of people running across my UI prompt constantly...

• Like 1