ColdAtrophy

Object Quality

When I started playing DayZ, I had an i5-4690k and a Gigabyte GTX 970. Now I have an i7-4790k and an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC 8GB VRAM 11Gbps. Yesterday I booted up DayZ with my newest config to see how it fares. I am surprised to be honest. On the plus side, I can now set every single setting to maximum at 1080p except for one: Object Quality.

On the old renderer with old CPU and GPU, I had to set Object Quality manually through the config file to a super low value to retain a playable minimum FPS (45ish) in cities. 

On the new renderer with old CPU and GPU, I had to set Object Quality to Very Low through the in-game options to retain 60 FPS in cities. So slight improvement.

On the new renderer with my new CPU and GPU, I have to set Object Quality to Very Low through the in-game options to retain 60 FPS in cities. Anything higher than Very Low results in FPS fluctuations.

The common knowledge on this has been that cities are CPU bound and that individual core strength is the most important. I upgraded to a CPU that is ranked #3 for single core score by Passmark and yet I still have this issue. So my questions are as follows:

What CPU do I need for Very High Object Quality and 60+ FPS? Or are the underlying assumptions wrong? Is multithreading more important now? I kinda doubt it, but I don't have any other CPUs to use for testing to figure it out myself and I can't find anyone doing legit benchmarks for this game, post Enfusion renderer.

I have seen a video some time ago of someone with a powerful graphics card only being able to run DayZ at half or so efficiency, people in the comments said pending optimization caused this.

Uneducated speculation (don't know about pc-setups much): Since you seem confident in your setup I think optimization changes down the line of development will fix this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyongo Bongo said:

I have seen a video some time ago of someone with a powerful graphics card only being able to run DayZ at half or so efficiency, people in the comments said pending optimization caused this.

Uneducated speculation (don't know about pc-setups much): Since you seem confident in your setup I think optimization changes down the line of development will fix this

Yup, yup, yup.

Not worth expending too much energy thinking about at this time.

I'm hoping I can hold off any hardware upgrades until we are far into Beta or longer!

There will likely be hardware configs that will prove themselves best suited for DayZ once things are further optimized.

2 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

..//.. booted up DayZ  ..//..

maybe a dumb question but do you still have the option to play in 32 bit or 64 bit?  Try that, see what the graphics do?

also some of the other game settings definitely don't need to be maxed, they have very little effect on what you see; there are plenty of "ideal settings" comments around. (you probably know this)

also you can mess with the GPU settings itself, instead of letting game settings override the GPU; I get a strong impression the GPU does MOST of the work in DayZ (?), more than the CPU. So look at what you can do with that. - eg see what Xtreme Engine can do ?

also - final obvious thing, put the OS and the game and the page file on an SSD, and nothing else on there likely to be accessed.
Use some other disk for your other files.

A good (standard) plan is setting by hand the Min page file size and the Max page file size to the SAME value - this should give you a permanent page file that will not fragment around your disk) -  I use double the  Recommended Windows page file size ( 'exactly' double because it is calculated in whole segment sizes, whole segment access should read slightly faster)

and (also maybe another dumb idea, but if you have the urge.. ?  ) put another page file (double size) on another disk (your best other fast). So the game and the page file can be accessed both "at once". Try with the page file ON on your OS/game disk, and then try with it only ON your OTHER disk... (need restarts.. 'might' be interesting to see if there is a difference).

I've also used a little second SSD alone just as a page file by itself.

I'm not convinced that i5 or i7 performance makes a big difference to dayZ, (except in the speed of the bus, which is the motherboard & CPU, right?)..  I run on a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core, 6400+ - with a Radeon RX 480 8mb .. yes I do.
Game runs ok in moderate to good settings, very playable.. At top settings the graphics look great but it's slow (or VERY slow) . So generally I play in 32 bit, seems to avoid overdosing either my GPU or the disk access.; on 32 bit I avoid the sudden occasional FPS drops/freezes that folk have complained about.

This is all probably not useful to you but.; there ya go.. maybe some ideas

xxp

I have both the game and my OS on an SSD. I've tried it on the same SSD and I've tried it with the game on one SSD and the OS on another. In total, I have 750GB of SSD space and 1TB of HDD space currently. 

Also, I see the same issue whether I'm on the 64-bit client or the 32-bit client.

I'm very, very familiar with the game's settings. I don't have to run it the way I did last night and likely won't in the long term, I was just putting the new card through its paces in one of my favorite titles. I've spent countless hours playing the game with Rivatuner OSD running and messing with the settings. I've never been able to maintain 60 FPS in any city with any Object Quality setting other than Very Low. This is important because you can't see into windows at even a medium distance when the Object Quality is set this low.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

There will likely be hardware configs that will prove themselves best suited for DayZ once things are further optimized.
..//..
I'm very, very familiar with the game's settings.

I hear you.

- It would be VERY interesting to know what BI staff use to run the game when they are testing in the office (eg glitch testing) .. or at home.
And I don't mean when they run it directly on the in-office server or on the special development workstation rigs. Just what real PC setups BI staff use, what GPU and CPU and motherboard and memory.
& what FPS they get, and their settings..
WHAT do they consider "GOOD" equipment for players (eg for themselves)? What have they got?
They will all individually KNOW this and have their own "best settings" and "best performance" on real equipment. And they can quote their real FPS.
This would be great to hear about.

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

Not at all trying to bash, but I'm very curious if there is something coming down the road that will fix this. I'm no expert, but it seems like whatever it is that makes this a reality, it's deeply rooted. The renderer didn't do much for it and I haven't heard anyone talk about it at all at any point in development. I can't even find recent community discussions on the topic. It worries me that since this wheel isn't squeaking, it's not going to get addressed. I hope I am wrong. I currently think I'm likely wrong. But I'm concerned nonetheless. 

Let's see if I can get Baty to pass along the request: @Baty Alquawen

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

I wish I could help, but I'm one of the few that have had zero issues since new renderer came out. My rig is almost exactly the same as your old one, and I only have issues when i stop in at hoarder bases. I have a 60hz monitor and use vsync and I stay at 60 fps at 1080p no matter where I go. Except places that @emuthreat frequents. That is a different story entirely.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2017 at 8:32 AM, Girth Brooks said:

I wish I could help, but I'm one of the few that have had zero issues since new renderer came out. My rig is almost exactly the same as your old one, and I only have issues when i stop in at hoarder bases. I have a 60hz monitor and use vsync and I stay at 60 fps at 1080p no matter where I go. Except places that @emuthreat frequents. That is a different story entirely.

What's your object quality set to?

The highest setting. I run everything maxed at 1080p. 16gb of fast ram and a ssd etc etc. Before the new render I stayed in the 30s to 40s. After that patch I stay at 60fps.

You're the one also who ultimately convinced me to use Vsync also. I'm probably getting more than 60 fps, I just never turn vsync off anymore.

I feel you there, it irritates me that there is such a broad spectrum of performance across similar PCs.