Sign in to follow this  
Jock McScottish

Anyone left who likes jogging instead of sprinting?

Just wondering, as I popped on a public server earlier on today as I haven't played much in the last few months I was doing the coastal towns loot route, and after my break playing was taken aback by the speed of the sprinters! Not to mention none of them spotted me due to their fast forward playing style, as I jog among the trees, taking in the amazing scenery as I plod along in seemingly slow motion compared to everyone else.

• Like 3

With 0.63 we'll not be able to sprint unlimited so that's going to be history soon. But because it's the meta at the moment, I'm sprinting everywhere as well. It does have its advantages but also disadvantages. As you already said you will be harder to spot when jogging but people who sprint constantly will eventually catch up to you if they're looting behind you.

I'm glad there will be a stamina system soon. Sometimes I jog to places just to be immersed. When I was playing on a roleplay server most of my traveling consisted of jogging. I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to like it but it was something which was coming eventually. It's the same reason why I don't use the apple tree glitch anymore. If you get used to something, you're going to have an hard time adjusting when it gets changed.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 6

I almost never sprint, unless Im being attacked by someone that I can't see, then I book it as fast as I can to the nearest cover and wait out my demise.

6 hours ago, Jock McScottish said:

Just wondering, as I popped on a public server earlier on today as I haven't played much in the last few months I was doing the coastal towns loot route, and after my break playing was taken aback by the speed of the sprinters! Not to mention none of them spotted me due to their fast forward playing style, as I jog among the trees, taking in the amazing scenery as I plod along in seemingly slow motion compared to everyone else.

I for one jog when i'm not walking, but i'm legally blind so i use the binoculars or a hunting scope when i find one. the only time i sprint is when i have no cover to the next patch of woods.

4 hours ago, IMT said:

It's the same reason why I don't use the apple tree glitch anymore. If you get used to something, you're going to have an hard time adjusting when it gets changed.

A million apple trees and  there is STILL the glitch?  Damn - and I thought all those trees WERE the new engine. "It' been updated, it can do endless rain, fog, damp, and hundreds of apples trees"

<joke>

Edited by pilgrim*

1 minute ago, pilgrim* said:

A million apple trees and  there is STILL the glitch?  Damn - and I thought all those trees WERE the new engine. "It' been updated, it can do endless rain, fog, damp, and hundreds of apples trees"

The apple trees are still on the old player controller. With the new controller the glitch will be gone, for sure. I've also seen that the well glitch has been fixed in 0.63 as well. If they fixed the well then the apple tree glitch would be fixed for sure, wouldn't it?

It's just the player controller and the animations which both cause those glitches. There are more glitches in-game like the apple tree glitch which people don't even know about. :)

• Like 1

I pretty much never sprint because it consumes energy and water more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

This... Saving it for when its needed or when too lazy to run around an open area.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

Yup and you will constantly overheat or have to keep your self wet which will give you hypothermia when looting a town, which means you have to warm yourself again with a fire and so on, too much micromanagement for me. I usually will only wear a shirt (or raincoat) and while jogging you never get too warm. Saving sprint for if I have to get out of Dodge fast.

Wow, I'm actually quite surprised by the amount of people who don't sprint all the time. I wonder on which servers you guys play. Is it an high population server or rather low? Do you guys also jog in high risk locations like military bases, etc.?

8 minutes ago, IMT said:

Wow, I'm actually quite surprised by the amount of people who don't sprint all the time. I wonder on which servers you guys play. Is it an high population server or rather low? Do you guys also jog in high risk locations like military bases, etc.?

Depends, but in a mill base I would put it in the, get out of dodge fast category.

Depending on what I am doing there ofc.

3 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Depends, but in a mill base I would put it in the, get out of dodge fast category.

Depending on what I am doing there ofc.

Well, I hope you don't jog in the middle of the airfield from hangar to hangar or just looting in military bases in general. On an high pop I usually try to get as quick as possible to the next loot point. Taking your sweet time jogging or killing an infected in the open is a death wish in those high risk areas.

Just now, IMT said:

Well, I hope you don't jog in the middle of the airfield from hangar to hangar or just looting in military bases in general. On an high pop I usually try to get as quick as possible to the next loot point. Taking your sweet time jogging or killing an infected in the open is a death wish in those high risk areas.

Pretty much, but moving my butt from Berzino and up there I'll be jogging most of the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Usually low pop and PVE only, but don't really matter for me, I jog on any server basically.

• Like 1

I don't care about consumed energy and hydration, as long as it is still somehow possible to get it in DayZ, at least it was when I was playing the last time, hardly possible, but still possible (if you still care to continue on to play when you can't get armed even around NWAF). So I sprint almost all the time, to save my real life time, and then go jogging in real life. Profit.

Edited by Mantasisg

I'm a convinced sprinter, but only since everybody else does it.

I really appreciate everybody jogging most of the time when .63 comes, even though (especially since) it makes moving around the map slower

• Like 3

I wish it could be compensated by bikes and bycicles. But I guess, knowing that this is ultra hardcore game, there will be like 5bikes and something like 10bicycles all around the map lol, and within first day all will get hidden in some secret places of the map.

I wish it could be comp

I wish it could be compensated by bikes and bycicles. But I guess, knowing that this is ultra hardcore game, there will be like 5bikes and something like 10bicycles all around the map lol, and within first day all will get hidden in some secret places of the map.

They increased the amount of meat a cow drops when you skin it by a ton in the demo, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a realistic-ish amount of bikes around the map, especially since the whole changing-to-an-engine-that-fits-the-scope-of-their-vision-for-dayz-better-than-the previous-one-thing is done

• Like 1

1PP, walk.  I hope even jogging drains stamina soon.

• Like 2

like it doesn't

Edit.... sorry confused stamina with hidration and energy this time :/

There better be bicycles. 

Otherwise.... another thing to the shelves for modders to tweak for sake of gameplay.

Edited by Mantasisg

1 hour ago, klesh said:

1PP, walk.  I hope even jogging drains stamina soon.

I believe it does but not as fast as sprinting, which is logical. Or at least I hope it does. It does make sense in a realism way. Take a break every now and then to get your stamina up or just walk for a bit until you have the stamina to jog again. That's how it works in real life as well.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

I sprint a lot but mostly because it doesn't effect stamina yet.

I look forward to using jog which makes the map feel bigger and vehicles more important.

There will be people who still try to sprint as much as possible and part of me hopes it bites them in the ass. :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I sprint a lot but mostly because it doesn't effect stamina yet.

I look forward to using jog which makes the map feel bigger and vehicles more important.

There will be people who still try to sprint as much as possible and part of me hopes it bites them in the ass. :P

Trust me, it will. They will be sprinting all the time and have no stamina at all, when suddenly... shots and then "fuck, no stamina".

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2017 at 3:57 AM, IMT said:

With 0.63 we'll not be able to sprint unlimited so that's going to be history soon. But because it's the meta at the moment, I'm sprinting everywhere as well. It does have its advantages but also disadvantages. As you already said you will be harder to spot when jogging but people who sprint constantly will eventually catch up to you if they're looting behind you.

I'm glad there will be a stamina system soon. Sometimes I jog to places just to be immersed. When I was playing on a roleplay server most of my traveling consisted of jogging. I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to like it but it was something which was coming eventually. It's the same reason why I don't use the apple tree glitch anymore. If you get used to something, you're going to have an hard time adjusting when it gets changed.

A very large percentage of my kills are against players who sprint like this. As of .62, stealth has dominated my play style. They may be able to catch up to you if you don't sprint, but you will probably hear them before they see you. At least in my opinion. 

I love walking/jogging btw. I can't wait till .63 to have an even more valid reason to do it. Everything feels so rushed when you spring 24/7. It may get you places faster, but oddly it makes it feel like it's taking longer. When you slow down to smell the coffee, so to speak, playing the game the way it's "meant to be played" comes more naturally. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

What it is meant to be..... each of us has different "what is it meant to be concept", for me what is it meant to be would be the gameplay of DayZ 0.5x, with the tech side of DayZ 0.6x, and with the content which has been promised for nearly 30years alread... gosh.... bwoah.....

I hope new player controler will be good for gameplay, and won't be too complicated and flow braking.

Even if DayZ is quite dead, I hope lots of people will give it a go one more time for 0.63. Maybe. So less sprinting will have to be compensated by something. Epic gameplay ? Bicycles, can't wait to see. 

What DayZ DOESN'T NEED the most - is uncreative players ghoasting from server to server, all hidding from each other. In other words, no action, interactions and loads of KOS.

At least having to save stamina will decrease chance for players to run from one another, which sometimes gets ridiculous in DayZ ATM. :) But long distance traveling has to be compensated. Just has.