-Gews-

[Dev] Eye zoom 'probably' being removed entirely

17 hours ago, libertine said:

I always thought eye zoom was to compensate for the perceivable detail from low resolution monitors compared to the human eye. Makes sense. If so, will its removal also come with a serving of Call of Duty weapon bob animation?

Cut a hole the same size as your monitor in a big sheet of card - now go around holding it 40 cm in front of your face and only look at the world through that hole. make yourself a box to close off the rest of your vision if you want.. You'll soon get a strong impression you are REALLY NOT using your eyesight properly.

(maybe don't try this at home - kids, & please don't cross any streets like that)

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, libertine said:

I always thought eye zoom was to compensate for the perceivable detail from low resolution monitors compared to the human eye. Makes sense. If so, will its removal also come with a serving of Call of Duty weapon bob animation?

That's basically right.  I would recommend reading the dev blog explaining why its in the game.  See below.

On 9/2/2017 at 9:47 AM, sanguine00 said:

For anyone who needs further explanation as to why the "eye zoom" is present in the first place, maybe you will trust a DayZ developer (from June 30, 2015 SR - scroll down to the passage written by Jan):

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-30-jun-2015#/title3

I think the Dev's should reread what Jan has to say to figure out why eye zoom should stay in place and why it is realistic.  At least as a compensation for monitor size and field of view.

Edited by Komalt
  • Like 1

I am completely against removing it, I can take 30% less frames while in zoom...This will just lead to someone modding in a sloppy implementation and everyone will be forced to play that because the feature makes sense, removing it doesn't (or not solving the technical problems behind it)..

• Like 2

I 100% agree with Gews on this and am dumbstruck why Peter would even consider a removal for one second, out of the lowest of reasons, technical stuff. He is a designer for christ sakes.

Why would they do it? Consoles?

And who will need to get involved in this to get an official response in here? Brian? Do we need to call a streamer or what?

Edited by moeb1us
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, moeb1us said:

Do we need to call a streamer or what?

Heh.

• Like 2

I have to say the already reduced zoom I found to be pretty annoying, especially when using ironsights. I was hoping it would return to the full Arma style zoom that was seen in the mod.  A complete removal is unacceptable.

Edited by Komalt
  • Like 2

I'm totally PRO eye zoom. 

I can barely endure games without it because of the pixel hunting one has to do to see something that would be clearly visible in real life through "focusing". 

It's totally realistic, and helps a lot while running in the middle of nowhere to check the surroundings. Adds some dynamism to the game in other words. 

I have been playing TLD a lot lately, and this is the feature I would like to see there most!

Now I'm all it for removing it from the iron sights, since it somehow makes some scopes obsolete. But i'm against removing it totally from the game.

Edited by exwoll
  • Like 2

I think not sprinting everywhere will change how people scan the environment making zoom scanning at full sprint less useful.

If you're jogging or walking you'll scan more thoroughly.

I do still want the zoom but I'm just offering a little perspective on how things may change.

• Like 2

I want to see any of you run full tilt while looking over your shoulder for more than a second.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 9:00 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

As much as I want the zoom left in, citing upvotes from Reddit won't bolster the point imo.

Upvotes don't really validate an idea, the argument for zoom stands on its own. But upvotes can show community opinion, and community opinion can sway devs. Because who are they making the game for, in the end? 

I posted this one today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/6y1ks0/devs_plan_to_remove_eye_zoomlets_change_their/

So far ~375 upvotes at 90%, a decent number for today's r/dayz, and again the great majority of comments support keeping the zoom. 

One guy complaining doesn't do much by himself. Fifty, one hundred, two hundred complaining, maybe just a little bit more. More momentum. You're getting a better sample size there. If they realize such a change would be quite unpopular with the community, would they still pursue it? 

Unfortunately they don't interact too much these days on subreddit or forum. Maybe some dev browses the sub and will see that topic, or this forum, and it could spark some discussion or change.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Unfortunately they don't interact too much these days on subreddit or forum. Maybe some dev browses the sub and will see that topic, or this forum, and it could spark some discussion or change.

I have a feeling they are likely following the discussions on this topic on here and Reddit and are exploring their options further.

A lot is set to change and soon, this transitional period is a pivotal time at which these features and adjustments will be cemented so I think the player feedback has to be considered as much as ever.

I would be surprised if eye zoom is just brushed to the side. I think they would have to offer some really solid proof that it's detrimental to the game to justify taking it away.

• Like 2

As someone mentioned in that reddit thread.  There is already a huge advantage of people shooting from trees at far distance.  Having the eye zoom helps with spotting, without it it would be much harder.

2 minutes ago, Komalt said:

As someone mentioned in that reddit thread.  There is already a huge advantage of people shooting from trees at far distance.  Having the eye zoom helps with spotting, without it it would be much harder.

It's called using a scope or binoculars.  Not an unrealistic eagle eye zoom that's suppose to imitate "focus" 

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I think not sprinting everywhere will change how people scan the environment making zoom scanning at full sprint less useful.

If you're jogging or walking you'll scan more thoroughly.

I do still want the zoom but I'm just offering a little perspective on how things may change.

Yeah, those little changes are fully welcomed by me. Scan the surroundings while you are running shouldnt be allowed because of realism, same as running with the weapon out!

1 hour ago, exwoll said:

..//..  Scan the surroundings while you are running shouldnt be allowed because of realism, same as running with the weapon out!

You think that real people cant do both these things together in real life ??  - wow..     someone should warn the military about this

6 hours ago, moeb1us said:

And who will need to get involved in this to get an official response in here? Brian? Do we need to call a streamer or what?

Pretty sure Baty monitors both these forums and the subreddit, and she is a direct line to the devs.  They may not officially comment on here, but hopefully this at least motivates a response in an upcoming SR.  Of course the final decision rests with the devs, but it would be very disappointing if it's made without any further community engagement, since many seem to be passionate about it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

You think that real people cant do both these things together in real life ??  - wow..     someone should warn the military about this

Try it. Go to the nearest park and start sprinting while trying to focus things that are around you. Tell me how long you last before you have one of the greatest falls of your life lol

23 minutes ago, exwoll said:

Try it. Go to the nearest park and start sprinting while trying to focus things that are around you. Tell me how long you last before you have one of the greatest falls of your life lol

Yes, well (ya know, son ..) I live in forested mountains (France) and hunt with a 30-06, and that involves a LOT of moving, sometimes as fast as you can run around - like kilometers? - as well as stalking in very rough terrain (not a park and nothing open and clean like you see in DayZ).. I've done that; and know folk who do that regularly =  in real life =  I know of guys who will get up at 4 am and RUN up and around a damned mountain through pine & undergrowth and rocks in the pre-dawn to get around behind game  (then when the day starts they come in work looking cheerful) - hey you remember the "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992 film) - they can run like that for a few miles with a rifle, no big prob, on 40% broken slopes through real forest. 

AND  no one is shooting back at those people - That makes a difference to your attitude I'd guess?   Check out WW2 D-Day footage and Afghanistan & Syrian footage - You'll see people RUN with a GUN for sure... they aren't joking.

Aint nothing to do with parks .. its just a thing people can do..  You think folk can't run AND see? -  Ask someone who's been in the military.

have fun

Hey, train up.. try running or biking or maybe rock climbing?  You'd get a sense of what folk physically can or can't do.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, sanguine00 said:

Pretty sure Baty monitors both these forums and the subreddit, and she is a direct line to the devs.  They may not officially comment on here, but hopefully this at least motivates a response in an upcoming SR.  Of course the final decision rests with the devs, but it would be very disappointing if it's made without any further community engagement, since many seem to be passionate about it.

Hold your horses guys, it's too early, nothing is set in stone! I think it's fair to say that we all appreciate feedback from long time DayZ players, but the time to get serious about things will be when 0.63 drops on Experimental. 

Peter is on vacation now, but @eugenharton mentioned he might want to comment on this one, and he might provide an interesting perspective on the topic of evaluating this sort of feedback.

• Like 10

Thank you very much for a response @RaptorM60!

I had a feeling a few off the cuff comments was a little too much to get upset about just yet.

14 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Yes, well (ya know, son ..) I live in forested mountains (France) and hunt with a 30-06, and that involves a LOT of moving, sometimes as fast as you can run around - like kilometers? - as well as stalking in very rough terrain (not a park and nothing open and clean like you see in DayZ).. I've done that; and know folk who do that regularly =  in real life =  I know of guys who will get up at 4 am and RUN up and around a damned mountain through pine & undergrowth and rocks in the pre-dawn to get around behind game  (then when the day starts they come in work looking cheerful) - hey you remember the "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992 film) - they can run like that for a few miles with a rifle, no big prob, on 40% broken slopes through real forest. 

AND  no one is shooting back at those people - That makes a difference to your attitude I'd guess?   Check out WW2 D-Day footage and Afghanistan & Syrian footage - You'll see people RUN with a GUN for sure... they aren't joking.

Aint nothing to do with parks .. its just a thing people can do..  You think folk can't run AND see? -  Ask someone who's been in the military.

have fun

Hey, train up.. try running or biking or maybe rock climbing?  You'd get a sense of what folk physically can or can't do.

xxP

What are you talking about?.

I said that a person can´t run and FOCUS on the SURROUNDINGS while he´s at it.  Sure you can run and focus on 1 thing that you´re after, not for long times since you need to watch your path every now and then, but running at full speed on a rough terrain and just marvel with the surroundings like if you´re walking or jogging at slow pace?

To SEE something and FOCUS on it are different things ffs.  Damn triggered folk lol.

3 hours ago, RaptorM60 said:

Hold your horses guys, it's too early, nothing is set in stone! I think it's fair to say that we all appreciate feedback from long time DayZ players, but the time to get serious about things will be when 0.63 drops on Experimental. 

Peter is on vacation now, but @eugenharton mentioned he might want to comment on this one, and he might provide an interesting perspective on the topic of evaluating this sort of feedback.

Can´t wait for a detailed post or SR about the changes in beta :3 

31 minutes ago, exwoll said:

What are you talking about?.

I said that a person can´t run and FOCUS on the SURROUNDINGS while he´s at it.  Sure you can run and focus on 1 thing that you´re after.

?  

Shows what happens when you don't pay attention to all the details all the time. I just found out about this now and I have two responses.

Comedy response: oh my god don't do it, oh the humanity, won't someone please think of the children!

Serious response: seriously, don't do it

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but I find this post to be hyperbole filled and premature. Let's wait and see how it feels ourselves before condemning this change as "horrifying".

Putting technical limitations aside, I see no reason why this feature couldn't become a server side variable.