Zurvivalist

Same topic , new thread

So I've been offline for about a year.. Since my high end rig died by lighting strike ... 
Visited a few times on my low end media pc rig..  But all that aside . Im back now.. And I am in need of a new PC . 

Desires .. 

VR , Recording, Streaming 

Restrictions.. 

Budget ..technical knowledge on new hardware....

I'm in the US ., basically i need suggestions on what DayZ needs now to run well with the new engine.. and ideally maybe a few links pointing me to some good sites to shop on ., ( U.S )  

My Budge is currently $500 .. unless you guys know sites that may take payments on a new pc ..with crap credit .. 

For 500 you are not gonna build much...unless you already have stuff you can re-use like a pc case, PSU.

A decent GPU, CPU and motherboard will already go over 500 most likely.

Anyway, DAYZ should run fine on an i5, GTX 1060 and 8 GB RAM.

• Like 1

What is your low end media pc?
Are you sure you can't beef it up with a good graphics card and a half-decent SSD?
If you CAN do that, you'll probably also have to pay for a better Power Supply to run the Motherboard and the GPU together.

so what's the media PC spec ?

I play DayZ on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400  (3.25 GHz)
8 GB installed memory
a standard 1G hard drive (or two)
Had this stuff for years (since dual core started to get good - when was that?)

To that I added :

- an SSD, (not big, just big enough)
- a  Radeon RX 480 G1 'GAMING' with 8GB graphics memory - (around 280 USD / Euros)  - this does MOST of the WORK..  is 100% value.
- and a 750 Watt PSU

.. er.. and also a plug in usb3 card in case I need it.

I leave the case sides off, I'm lazy, also cheap insurance for heating probs. I swear I was going to add a case fan but didn't. heh   
- runs good !

Put your OS and the game on the SSD, = It is FASTER
Keep the standard HD for everything else, your films and your files
The Graphics Card is a must, IMO. Don't skimp on that. Check out the reviews Radeon RX 480 G1 8GB
- Game looks great and runs. 
On this forum people with much better rigs than mine seem to complain more?

hmm ?  any better suggestions, kids (me ol' mates)?

xx pilgrim

• Like 1

media system is a old dual core 2. ghz.. 80 gig hdd , i think 4 gigs ram .. windows 7 .. ( at work so i cant recall all specs) .. one of those compact case .. no extra slot motherboard.. had to chop it all up and take everything apart just to fit a newer vid card .. its a paperweight honestly .. I'll take a pic when i get home.. 
I would up my budget a little high .. if I could make payments.. might look more into like a OEM rig or something .  

I really hate to say this but $500 is too little to run DayZ well. It would take a combination of refurbished or used parts and a few strokes of insane luck. 

PM me. I may have a part or two to donate to the cause.

• Like 1

you almost certainly don't need a whole new pc.  with the secondary pc you can swap in parts to test what's fried and what's not.

[edit]  I also have a pile of spare parts

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Like 1

the original game system ( $2,500 a few years ago) basically is scrap metal now.. everthing but the case pretty much melted or burnt .. could smell it .. pwr supply, HDD , mother board .,.. all of it , even the outlet, batteryback up and surge protector fried.. .. the media center pc i will get specs when i get home since i just havent looked at it in a while.. 

thank you guys for the offers.. I may take you up on them .. 

2 hours ago, Zurvivalist said:

the original game system ( $2,500 a few years ago) basically is scrap metal now.. everthing but the case pretty much melted or burnt .. could smell it .. pwr supply, HDD , mother board .,.. all of it , even the outlet, batteryback up and surge protector fried.. .. the media center pc i will get specs when i get home since i just havent looked at it in a while.. 

thank you guys for the offers.. I may take you up on them .. 

damn. :-/

sending you a pm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zurvivalist said:

media system is a old dual core 2. ghz.. 80 gig hdd , i think 4 gigs ram .. windows 7 .. ( at work so i cant recall all specs) .. one of those compact case .. no extra slot motherboard.. had to chop it all up and take everything apart just to fit a newer vid card .. its a paperweight honestly .. I'll take a pic when i get home.. 
I would up my budget a little high .. if I could make payments.. might look more into like a OEM rig or something .  

You could take a risk buying a secondhand game system / parts.

@pilgrim* many people go way overboard with PSU's. Most systems will do fine with a 500 / 550 watt PSU and could save some money. For instance, when I run Battlefield 1 my system draws no more than 300 watt (see signature for systems specs). I have a 650 watt PSU myself and will probably never hit its limits, even when overclocking the CPU and GPU. Most PSU's are also less efficient when drawing <50%.

• Like 1

Doesn't insurance or waranty cover these things? It's insane that a $2,500 gaming PC is unusable because of a lightning strike. Doesn't your house have earthing?

And as others already mentioned with $500 your not going to get a high end gaming PC, especially for VR, recording and streaming.

• Like 2

$500 is not gonna get you VR in any capacity :/ 

I bought parts for my current PC over the course of 2 months and then built it (I'm not a poor man, but not a rich one either).

Pcpartpicker.com is helpful in planning etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IMT said:

Doesn't insurance or waranty cover these things? It's insane that a $2,500 gaming PC is unusable because of a lightning strike. Doesn't your house have earthing?

And as others already mentioned with $500 your not going to get a high end gaming PC, especially for VR, recording and streaming.

sadly no home insurance .. sadly , the storm that produced the lighting that took out my pc , is the same storm that caused lighting to strike my mothers upholstery shop across the  street and caused it to burn down.. took us a while to rebuild and recover from all that chaos .. 

3 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

$500 is not gonna get you VR in any capacity :/ 

I bought parts for my current PC over the course of 2 months and then built it (I'm not a poor man, but not a rich one either).

Pcpartpicker.com is helpful in planning etc.

i'll look over that site now.. I think if i budget out a little better i can spend a bit more , and just focus on a barebone i5 or i7 to get me started and add parts over the next few paychecks 

this is what i've put together so far 

- Intel - Core i7-870 2.93GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor $168.99

- be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler $23.88

- Biostar - T5 XE ATX LGA1156 Motherboard $108.50

- Corsair - XMS3 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $93.99

- Corsair - 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99

Total: $465.35

1 hour ago, Zurvivalist said:

- Corsair - 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99

That's pretty cheap for a corsair PSU, however, you don't need that many watts, like I explained before you will never need that much power unless maybe you start running two beefy videocards, both overclock them and overclock your CPU and RAM and have many power hungry peripherals connected to your system like led strips, 10 fans and so on. A powersupply is less efficient when running under less than a 50% load and you will probably never exceed 400 / 450 watts.

The cpu you chose supports a max of 16 GB RAM, that should be enough but just be aware you could not use more should you want to in the future (VR).

Personally I would buy a MoBo and CPU for socket 1151 instead of 1156, seems more future proof to me. I also think an i5 cpu would be fine for you, maybe you can get a faster i5 for about the same price as your i7.

Also, for the same money you can find a MoBo that supports DDR4 RAM and you could probably find DDR4 RAM for the same money, I think you would be better off buying 2 x 4 GB of DDR4 and maybe later buy two more sticks to get to 16. 8 GB is enough for most games and 16 GB will only slightly help in better game performance.

With your choice of hardware you are building a system that is already outdated today and not scalable for your future plans.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nl said:

That's pretty cheap for a corsair PSU, however, you don't need that many watts, like I explained before you will never need that much power unless maybe you start running two beefy videocards, both overclock them and overclock your CPU and RAM and have many power hungry peripherals connected to your system like led strips, 10 fans and so on. A powersupply is less efficient when running under less than a 50% load and you will probably never exceed 400 / 450 watts.

The cpu you chose supports a max of 16 GB RAM, that should be enough but just be aware you could not use more should you want to in the future (VR).

Personally I would buy a MoBo and CPU for socket 1151 instead of 1156, seems more future proof to me. I also think an i5 cpu would be fine for you, maybe you can get a faster i5 for about the same price as your i7.

Also, for the same money you can find a MoBo that supports DDR4 RAM and you could probably find DDR4 RAM for the same money, I think you would be better off buying 2 x 4 GB of DDR4 and maybe later buy two more sticks to get to 16. 8 GB is enough for most games and 16 GB will only slightly help in better game performance.

With your choice of hardware you are building a system that is already outdated today and not scalable for your future plans.

UHG .. I am so outdated on all this stuff.. 

trying to use that pcpartpicker.com site suggested.. to piece this thing together .. . 

15 minutes ago, Zurvivalist said:

UHG .. I am so outdated on all this stuff.. 

trying to use that pcpartpicker.com site suggested.. to piece this thing together .. . 

Check this list, slightly more money but way more future proof. The MoBo is excellent. The CPU can be overclocked in the future should you want to.

Not sure what pc case you gonna use but the suggested cooler is pretty tall, about 16 cm so check if that would fit your case. It is an excellent " budget"  cooler that I have myself but not the first choice should you want to do massive overclocks, but that kind of cooling will cost some more money.

Alternatively you could choose RAM that can go faster than 2400 MHz, like 3000 or even higher because the MoBo will support that speed with a simple BIOS setting (with OC - native memory clock is also 2400), of course prices go up that way.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W3rWpb

• Like 1

On 29/08/2017 at 1:18 AM, Zurvivalist said:

Two things yo can do that cost a little time and no money:

1 ) If you get the makers motherboard series & number off the "old PC" board - it's pretty easy to find if you have a pen torch - then look that code up on the web to find the maker and the online PDFs of the board specs (there are specialized sites), You'll find the original specs and you can look up what is the Fastest CPU you can plug in (and other useful info).
- and also if it will take 16 GB memory (thou probably not, but maybe .. you need to check that)
- if specs say the top CPU the motherboard can run is a "top "end" dual core, then it's worth looking at Ebay, you can get the fastest dual cores VERY cheap ( recovered, second hand or from China, etc ) This is already an interesting upgrade.

2 ) THEN check that your graphics card slot is PCI 2 (came out in 2004) and IS DEFINITELY compatible with a modern medium price GPU. You NEED to know the card is compatible and FITS

3 ) Dont forgt the PSU.. see what the ratings are and make sure you know what they mean. You may have to change that (probably?) for a fairlly powerful GPU - also the newer PSUs have the cables and plugs you need - which the old PSU may not.

- there is plenty of info of how to do this stuff all over the web, read around, you pick up interesting advice.
This is worth doing just to see what's what, and to KNOW what is possible or not..  AND you finds interesting leads and suggestions.

Then at least you can decide if your old "media box"  is worth trying to find cheap parts to upgrade, or if it just really cant make it.

PLUS = Checking this stuff out doesn't cost anything.

xxperry

For myself I wouldn't EVER buy a new readymade PC for ANY reason  - it's just not worth it.  You can definitely always get 90% as good for half that price if you are prepared to put some thought and surf into it  (and you need a screwdriver)

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

Another thing on the pcpartpicker site is that you can see other people's builds that have used the same Parts as you are interested in. That way you can go and see what other people are doing with similar Tech.

• Like 1

Wait. Are you trying to upgrade the media center PC or build a new one?

3 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Wait. Are you trying to upgrade the media center PC or build a new one?

build new one 

Use the pcpartpicker.com site, it keeps track of all the sales also. If you wanted to jump in TeamSpeak at some point and chat about computer stuff I'm sure I can and some of the other peeps would be willing to chew the fat with you.

• Like 1

Are some of you guys actually reading this thread?

9 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

Use the pcpartpicker.com site, it keeps track of all the sales also. If you wanted to jump in TeamSpeak at some point and chat about computer stuff I'm sure I can and some of the other peeps would be willing to chew the fat with you.

Im mostly on here while at work .. but i will check into putting TS on my phone so we can defiantly do that