Yuval

With BETA comes modding

20 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Old post.... i know.

Recently someone announced (no longer knows who and where hmm Dancing.Russian.Man? ... oh my brain) the DayZ EnScript is the same or similar to the script language of "Take on Mars". If the script is the same (or almost the same), then the structure of the systems is certainly synonymous with NewDayZ. That would mean that the tools could also have certain "similarities". So for interested "modders" it may be a good idea to take a look at these things at "ToM". (Just an idea, because maybe Arma3 is the wrong platform to get your bearings .... I can be wrong ... I am a 100% layman in the field).

That was me, yes. Enscript is shorthand for Enforce Script, which is what ToM is made almost entirely with. From what I've read throughout the Status Reports, it sounds like DayZ is being created with the same design goal of being mostly scripts, aside from the core engine modules. 

From this thread:

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1

I'm late to the party, as usual.  But I'd like to say that I am a little concerned about how modding will splinter up players.  I'm hoping we see more original ideas for modding and not the usual vehicles every 10 feet on the coast and mil tents with good loot everywhere.  I'm hoping we see more variety than that.  I just wonder how many private servers are going to start catering to the PvP crowd immediately???  

20 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

I'm late to the party, as usual.  But I'd like to say that I am a little concerned about how modding will splinter up players.  I'm hoping we see more original ideas for modding and not the usual vehicles every 10 feet on the coast and mil tents with good loot everywhere.  I'm hoping we see more variety than that.  I just wonder how many private servers are going to start catering to the PvP crowd immediately???  

Great question, when i tried to do the arma 3 exile mod i tried to reduce it for 1 every max sectors. It wasn't the same as dayz. Fix and repair. I know you guys have an arma 3 server rolling so how many vehicles do you have populating the server?

HIHB server can reduce the numbers, and force the players into a more walking sim, then again it depends on how you guys want it to go like., More survival, or more mixed? Your vision may come true depending on how you lay out the server. Doesn't have to be Arma 3 all over. In time i bet arma 4 will be out, maybe not who knows how bi will go now.

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

Great question, when i tried to do the arma 3 exile mod i tried to reduce it for 1 every max sectors. It wasn't the same as dayz. Fix and repair. I know you guys have an arma 3 server rolling so how many vehicles do you have populating the server?

HIHB server can reduce the numbers, and force the players into a more walking sim, then again it depends on how you guys want it to go like., More survival, or more mixed? Your vision may come true depending on how you lay out the server. Doesn't have to be Arma 3 all over. In time i bet arma 4 will be out, maybe not who knows how bi will go now.

Well, our mod is going to take the base game and amp up the environment and certain entities into actual big time scary threats.  Depending on how the loot economy looks, I'm sure we will have to tweak things a bit, but overall we want to take the base DayZ game and push it to the limit.  But we always want to have something for players to do, so we will have some meta gaming going on, missions, random server events, and a lot more.

Oh. Weird. I started writing a comment on this thread months ago, but only got half way through a sentence. Wonder what I was thinking.

Anyway, I'm hoping that vanilla DayZ has time to mature before modding becomes available. I want people to think of DayZ as a survival game and play DayZ as a survival game before they start thinking about modding it. I am looking forward to modding, but I want to see the "right" mods that maintain the hardcore survival angle. I've said it before, but I'd love to see a Stalker-themed mod. Misery in DayZ? Sounds fucking amazing. I'm fully in favour of saving the planet from deadly anomalies, deadly mutants, anarchists and bandits. A Fallout-themed mod would be neat too but, again, I want to maintain that core survival element. I have a feeling that much of the playerbase is going to want to strip that out.

4 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Why do people want to change the game even before they see what it will be like when finished? 

Because that's what we do.  When the  Dodge Charger was announced in 2005, no less than 30 custom shops around the country began announcing plans for their take on the new Charger and it would be a year before it hit the streets.  Everyone will play the shit out of the base vanilla game, but communities/server operators will be customizing the game to bring players into their fold.  Many will turn to the monotonous PUBG route, but hopefully, a creative few will take the game to new places, and come up with new ideas.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

12 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Why do people want to change the game even before they see what it will be like when finished? 

Remember when arma was released? Well arma is a vanilla game, today arma would not be what it is without modding. True story too. BI will probably say the same.

7 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Because that's what we do.  When the  Dodge Charger was announced in 2005, no less than 30 custom shops around the country began announcing plans for their take on the new Charger and it would be a year before it hit the streets.  Everyone will play the shit out of the base vanilla game, but communities/server operators will be customizing the game to bring players into their fold.  Many will turn to the monotonous PUBG route, but hopefully, a creative few will take the game to new places, and come up with new ideas.

This time i hope the devs that do the modding clearly understand the bridge issues between the modders and the community that mod. There was some pretty heavy issues that pushed modders to the extreme, and or out of the scene. Maybe dayz will not be as heavy i do not know.

Good mods will take a lot of time until we can see and touch them. Until then, Vanilla will be the highest. Sure, there will be some fast PvP mods quickly, but they will also flatten until new good and thoughtful ideas are implemented.

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

This time i hope the devs that do the modding clearly understand the bridge issues between the modders and the community that mod. There was some pretty heavy issues that pushed modders to the extreme, and or out of the scene. Maybe dayz will not be as heavy i do not know.

^^^^^^^^^^   THIS  ^^^^^^^^^^

7 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Remember when arma was released? Well arma is a vanilla game, today arma would not be what it is without modding. True story too. BI will probably say the same.

I don't know anything about the arma games , standalone is what got me into online gaming. I play it to survive, not kill my fellow players. There are many games out there where you try to kill every one else in the game, I thought dayz standalone  was to be not like them.   

8 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I don't know anything about the arma games , standalone is what got me into online gaming. I play it to survive, not kill my fellow players. There are many games out there where you try to kill every one else in the game, I thought dayz standalone  was to be not like them.   

While i am sure many mods will arise more PvP orientated , what makes you think they wont make mods that are well more DayZ related ( aka build and expand on the systems already implemented to make it an even more survival encompassing, I know thats what i did back in the day when DayZ was just a mod for Arma , My server never had a huge population though as more people liked a quicker easier game)

Basically I am asking why are you anti mod when well you have never even tried one and are infact playing a game you love that actually only exists because of mods?

Modding brings together the community, even if its pure pve or pvp. It also can extend the life of the "End Game" of a game that has been out as long as Dayz has. Arma 3 by itself has said it is rather dull and boring. Not until things came out like Epoch, Exile etc.. and many other type mods we wouldn't have the popular games like King of the hill, pub g etc.. all of those do stem from the arma modding community. I wouldn't doubt it Arc and Conan looked into the sandbox from arma at one time. I have no facts on this but much has been discussed over the years about modding in arma etc..