Espa

GamesCom Pics/Vids

On 26.8.2017 at 8:09 PM, Espa said:

Rene :D 

His own footage at GamesCom! 

Sounded like BIS guys had more then one beer. :) Nice informative video. So many things to wait.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seitan said:

Sounded like BIS guys had more then one beer. :) Nice informative video. So many things to wait.

Hmmm... or... or...

Maybe synonymous videos are made with "hidden camera", and here it Eugene noticed and subtly "distorted". They certainly could not control everything.

I case thx for all stuff.

I wonder how they will make it so you can be able to hit players laying down or choose where to hit on a body with the "mellee" weapon, because right now all I saw was a forced front movement animation when attacking a player/zombie. Will there be a attack with no forced front movement? Can we choose where to hit, because they are random swing animations combos? (maybe there is cause I did not play the demo so...)

Edited by cs_wolf

2 hours ago, cs_wolf said:

I wonder how they will make it so you can be able to hit players laying down or choose where to hit on a body with the "mellee" weapon, because right now all I saw was a forced front movement animation when attacking a player/zombie. Will there be a attack with no forced front movement? Can we choose where to hit, because they are random swing animations combos? (maybe there is cause I did not play the demo so...)

To my understanding, there is no way to "aim" where you hit someone. You lock onto a target, and you hit that target, period. You don't hit them in the head, arms, legs, chest, etc. It's of course still possible to have body parts to hit at, but that's my current understanding from the few videos/gifs showing the targeting system under the hood.

There is also some "forced" movement with animations, but I'm not sure how much of that you can counteract with your own movement. I also think it's fair that you're somewhat restricted while taking a swing, you can't really do a casual walk or a full sprint at the same time. It takes steady footing for a strong swing, otherwise you'll probably just gently pat your enemies or lose your balance.

TLDR I think this is fine.

• Like 5

I think the time from the start of the attack is crucial. The angle, position and distance of the attacker and victim are "stored" and calculated with the combat action. This would make sense on client as on server side. It can nevertheless be possible to hit certain body parts, simply from the camera angle, which is like a crosshair.

The calm before the storm, it's driving me crazy. This next status report is going to be huge. 

• Like 2

I just caught up on this new thread and was wanting to add a question here, guys...

Where has Brian Hicks been through all this?

Did I miss the memo?

Or was he back in Texas, due to the Hurricane? (He hails from that state....right?)

Sheesh! Time to get back on these forums!

15 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

To my understanding, there is no way to "aim" where you hit someone. You lock onto a target, and you hit that target, period. You don't hit them in the head, arms, legs, chest, etc. It's of course still possible to have body parts to hit at, but that's my current understanding from the few videos/gifs showing the targeting system under the hood.

There is also some "forced" movement with animations, but I'm not sure how much of that you can counteract with your own movement. I also think it's fair that you're somewhat restricted while taking a swing, you can't really do a casual walk or a full sprint at the same time. It takes steady footing for a strong swing, otherwise you'll probably just gently pat your enemies or lose your balance.

TLDR I think this is fine.

Thank you for the response!

Im going through various occurances that happen in 0.62 and might not happen in the new combat system, for example:

-When someone is uncon, I will not be able to aim at their legs to break them, or at their head to kill or add shock damage. (Unless the new system detects they are laying down and there is a different attack animation for that, but then might conflict if there is a standing person next to the laying down person and I end up dieing from the standing attacker.)

-From what I saw with the swinging attacks, if there is two players with same health stats and weapons, would it be considered RNG for who to die if they both just swang at each other in terms of forced swing movement? (The first one to attack and dodging might take away that RNG feeling)

Of course I will need to play it to have the "feel" of the new combat system and the improvements in the future. :) Looking forward to it!

Edited by cs_wolf

11 hours ago, philbur said:

I just caught up on this new thread and was wanting to add a question here, guys...

Where has Brian Hicks been through all this?

Did I miss the memo?

Or was he back in Texas, due to the Hurricane? (He hails from that state....right?)

Sheesh! Time to get back on these forums!

Hey dude, since no one else answered, I'll give you my respectful 2 cents.

First of all, he's not a Texan so that shouldn't be the issue with Hurricane Harvey. I believe he's actually got residence in both Prague and Seattle.

From his latest twitter, he said that he reached his limit when someone told him they'd like to abusively attack his mother. . No other details on that except that's sick whoever thought that was clever or a good internet jab.

Even with that said, I've noticed a really bad trend on Hick's feed this year of him acting rather depressive and excuse the disrespect, but just whiney about everything. I would not put it passed BI to simply not invite him as his attitude isn't great for the kind of excitement they're trying to create. 

Best of luck towards the guy, obviously, but his absence was definitely noticed. It's a good thing they have Eugen, Peter, and Baty and the others who have become popular through their SR involvement. 

Edited by Espa

Also, just for kicks :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cs_wolf said:

-When someone is uncon, I will not be able to aim at their legs to break them, or at their head to kill or add shock damage. (Unless the new system detects they are laying down and there is a different attack animation for that, but then might conflict if there is a standing person next to the laying down person and I end up dieing for the standing attacker.)

On the chart I just posted, there is INDEED a Finisher Attack to an opponent that is on the ground. - There is also a Pin to the Ground move. . That may the disabling one.

Also, you can still shoot their legs and such to break them, but I do see now what you've brought up. It'll be near impossible to directly hit -that- limb that I want when the Attack Animations are fixed. Not a huge loss, but it does make one think about how melee battles will be played. - Haven't seen a Block yet on Demo xD 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Espa said:

Hey dude, since no one else answered, I'll give you my respectful 2 cents.

First of all, he's not a Texan so that shouldn't be the issue with Hurricane Harvey. I believe he's actually got residence in both Prague and Seattle.

From his latest twitter, he said that he reached his limit when someone told him they'd like to abusively attack his mother. . No other details on that except that's sick whoever thought that was clever or a good internet jab.

Even with that said, I've noticed a really bad trend on Hick's feed this year of him acting rather depressive and excuse the disrespect, but just whiney about everything. I would not put it passed BI to simply not invite him as his attitude isn't great for the kind of excitement they're trying to create. 

Best of luck towards the guy, obviously, but his absence was definitely noticed. It's a good thing they have Eugen, Peter, and Baty and the others who have become popular through their SR involvement. 

Hicks still does a block of each SR. Maybe he stopped going to the public so often, especially since they have Baty now. Sometimes it's better to keep your distance or lay low for a while. Doesn't surprise me when he gets those kind of threats.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IMT said:

Hicks still does a block of each SR. Maybe he stopped going to the public so often, especially since they have Baty now. Sometimes it's better to keep your distance or lay low for a while. Doesn't surprise me if he gets those kind of threats.

Totally and logically possible that they want to limit public experiences so there's less risk and there are people who actually have the job of PR, like Baty.

But it certainly strikes me odd that the Lead Producer (Eugen) would be the big boss and attend all the Talking Pieces, while the Creative Director (Brian Hicks) who we are used to delivering content to us, was no where to be seen. Not trying to be a big gossip, but. . There may be something else going on >.<

2 minutes ago, Espa said:

Totally and logically possible that they want to limit public experiences so there's less risk and there are people who actually have the job of PR, like Baty.

But it certainly strikes me odd that the Lead Producer (Eugen) would be the big boss and attend all the Talking Pieces, while the Creative Director (Brian Hicks) who we are used to delivering content to us, was no where to be seen. Not trying to be a big gossip, but. . There may be something else going on >.<

Well, we don't know what's going on so let's not speculate things. Maybe he is just on holiday or what ever or maybe there is something going on, best not to get involved and let them handle it.

Agreed about giving Hicks some space...

His Twitter page is pretty empty of SA info and yes, I saw the comment about that dickhead....kind of makes me wonder if maybe "justifiable homicide" should be back in the law books again, eh?

........nuff  said. Thanks for the replies, guys.

• Like 1

M1NDR's GamesCom Update :) 

Really great info! 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Remember what Reddit did to rocket?

I do....

What did they do?

Edited by Solopopo

56 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

What did they do?

He traded time spent on the official forum for Reddit and they eventually flamed and trolled him until he had a meltdown and left social media altogether.

35 minutes ago, EZann said:

Is it? What is huge about this status report?

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-29-august-2017

The biggest thing in this SR is actually quite small. But I have the feeling that it is something like a milestone for the team. And so it is also a milestone for us in the future. I noticed that the team has very little picture and video material is present. But it is not bad, because the team was able to take a lot of feedback, from fans, casuals, hardcore hour counters and newcomers. This feedback is almost not counting in gold. A team the year is busy building something can be blind in the matter, and exactly this feedback from X people will learn to see the thing new / different or the right thing. This is for me a huge thing .... even if it does not seem so. If the feedback for the team would not have been important .... then they would have mentioned nothing in the SR.

There's some more info/content in the works still - we'll get some juicy tid-bits im sure!

"we will deliver a good amount of quality 1080p/60FPS footage in the following days. The footage will take the form of a Dev Log video similar to those made for 0.62, and you can expect around 10 minutes of new content with Eugen's developer narration." 

• Like 1

Hope Hicks will be back in business at some point. I think he and his passion for the project was one of the main reasons why players kept believing Dayz after Rocket left. But can't blame the guy for needing some personal time, if that's the case. Who wouldn't. So many years gone and still more to come before the game is playable for the larger public. And constat bashing and pressure in social media sure is grazy in this modern world.

Anyway i think it's normal that people are worried when Creative Director of the Dayz-project isn't around when it's going BETA.

• Like 1