Espa

GamesCom Pics/Vids

19 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

Yeah, used to, when i get low on stamina i switch to jogging to get my breath back then start sprinting again. I am not talking about sprinting to the point where you end up barely walking.
For longer periods ofcourse everyone will get exhausted, but do you want to walk in dayz for 30% of the time ? Non-stop sprinting was long road to the military bases and now it will be even harder.

One word: vehicles.

• Like 1

I love the look on Eugen's face when the interviewer is asking about how he feels when other games that were DayZ inspired are more feature complete.

It says, "You really don't understand what we're doing with this title, do you?".

• Like 9

Buggernuts. I only caught the last 3 minutes of the Twitch stream. I thought it'd go on for longer.

• Like 1

There was a super short thing on Twitch for DayZ - Electric Fences confirmed for Beta. Damage Infected and Players :) 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Espa said:

You're a star.

Something that I didn't notice before - rags now take up four slots instead of one, but bandages only take up one. I wonder if that's how they're going to balance bandages against rags since rags, currently, are objectively better. I'm also wondring if they'll include the need to sterilise rags as well, or else face the risk of infection. I guess we'll see in [REDACTED] when 0.63 is released.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I love the look on Eugen's face when the interviewer is asking about how he feels when other games that were DayZ inspired are more feature complete.

It says, "You really don't understand what we're doing with this title, do you?".

It was a valid question, and I think he just didnt have a good answer for that...

3 hours ago, EZann said:

It was a valid question, and I think he just didnt have a good answer for that...

I disagree in only that the question becomes irrelevant when you know that you really can't compare the development of DayZ to those other titles.

Which, was basically Eugen's answer.

Those titles were cobbled together around existing platforms, DayZ is all new engines, code, and art assets.

It's sort of like asking if a man building his own house timber by timber is jealous of the guy who finished a Sears and Roebuck prefabricated house.

Maybe a little jealous in terms of time of completion but in the long run his house will be many many times nicer.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 4

There was a radio console in that first brick house the guy goes into.

When he comes out of the kitchen area you see it clearly.

• Like 1

So you were 1337 with 5k hours PvP in DayZ?

Time to unlearn some shit CoD jerk.

*holds out bucket for incoming tears*

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

There was a radio console in that first brick house the guy goes into.

When he comes out of the kitchen area you see it clearly.

Saw that too. It's probably for testing purposes. :)

Don't read the Steam chat unless you want to have vivid fantasies involving beating the chatters with a ball peen hammer. D:

• Like 1

Also, thank you @Espa for posting these.

You made it possible for me to continue about my day and easily stay on top of the DayZ news.

You have all my beans, sir.

• Like 2

I don't see what all the excitement is about.  All the video demonstrates to me is that the development team has managed to replicate all of the problems that have plagued the game since the start in a new engine.

Sure, there are cosmetic changes, but the game is hampered by the same crash bugs, clipping issues, zombie ai and animations that are little more than barely functional placeholders that were problematic back before I started playing the game in 2014.

I used to work in software development (admittedly not a game development team) and Dayz is exhibiting many of the telltale signs of a project in trouble.

It is a red flag when a team says they need to start over with new architecture.  You can almost guarantee you are looking at something like a 2 year setback.  You can plan on hearing "we are learning the new architecture" for 6 months to a year followed by "we had to start over from scratch and rebuild everything from the ground up" for a similar amount of time.  Many projects never recover from that kind of a setback.  If, more than a year after pushing that reset button, you still aren't seeing progress toward actually eliminating the longstanding problems that the old architecture was supposedly preventing the team from fixing it is time to start looking at other possible root causes like:  does the project have adequate resources and/or do we need to bring in new personnel with a proven track record of solving similar problems?

I don't know what the situation is at BI, but after, what has it been now, five plus years of development, it is time to re-evaluate the resources and personnel assigned to the project and start delivering results or shut the project down and move on to something else.

I hope this project goes on to be a stellar success.  Dayz has a great premise and a lot of potential, but it has been a very long time in the making and most of that potential has yet to be realized and many more projects have failed than have gone on to succeed after such a protracted development process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daricles said:

I don't see what all the excitement is about.  All the video demonstrates to me is that the development team has managed to replicate all of the problems that have plagued the game since the start in a new engine.

Sure, there are cosmetic changes, but the game is hampered by the same crash bugs, clipping issues, zombie ai and animations that are little more than barely functional placeholders that were problematic back before I started playing the game in 2014.

I used to work in software development (admittedly not a game development team) and Dayz is exhibiting many of the telltale signs of a project in trouble.

It is a red flag when a team says they need to start over with new architecture.  You can almost guarantee you are looking at something like a 2 year setback.  You can plan on hearing "we are learning the new architecture" for 6 months to a year followed by "we had to start over from scratch and rebuild everything from the ground up" for a similar amount of time.  Many projects never recover from that kind of a setback.  If, more than a year after pushing that reset button, you still aren't seeing progress toward actually eliminating the longstanding problems that the old architecture was supposedly preventing the team from fixing it is time to start looking at other possible root causes like:  does the project have adequate resources and/or do we need to bring in new personnel with a proven track record of solving similar problems?

I don't know what the situation is at BI, but after, what has it been now, five plus years of development, it is time to re-evaluate the resources and personnel assigned to the project and start delivering results or shut the project down and move on to something else.

I hope this project goes on to be a stellar success.  Dayz has a great premise and a lot of potential, but it has been a very long time in the making and most of that potential has yet to be realized and many more projects have failed than have gone on to succeed after such a protracted development process.

That is exactly what i think !!! Nothng to add to that ! 

2 hours ago, Daricles said:

don't know what the situation is at BI, but after, what has it been now, five plus years of development

The game was released for Microsoft Windows via early access on Steam in December 2013, and is currently in early alpha testing.

DayZ (video game) - Wikipedia

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
That's 3 and a half years.

4 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

...It's sort of like asking if a man building his own house timber by timber is jealous of the guy who finished a Sears and Roebuck prefabricated house.

Maybe a little jealous in terms of time of completion but in the long run his house will be many many times nicer.

Only if the man building the house timber by timber actually finishes the house and doesn't instead change the plans mid stream, screw up the plumbing, run out of money and end up with nothing but a shit filled hole in the ground to show for his years of effort.

That's not to say DayZ is necessarily going to wind up like that.  I'm just pointing out how pointless and arbitrary your comparison is.

Edited by Daricles
Typo correction

6 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The game was released for Microsoft Windows via early access on Steam in December 2013, and is currently in early alpha testing.

DayZ (video game) - Wikipedia

Oh, well, excuse me then.  If we ignore all the development going back to 2012 and assume the game's development started in 2013 when it released as early access on Steam and it has only been in development for THREE AND A HALF YEARS then all of my concerns are completely invalid and should completely dismissed.

Seriously, three and half years is still a very long time in the development world and all of my points are still valid concerns.  If you want to be BI's biggest cheerleader go right ahead.  I'm rooting for them too and want to see them succeed.  It doesn't mean I have to stick my head in the sand and ignore warning signs that my hopes for their success might not pan out.

2 hours ago, Daricles said:

Well, not really. The scope of DayZ changed immensely mid-development because it, initially, proved immensely popular. The devs realised that these changes couldn't be achieved with the current tech, so they decided to make something new. Right now, a two year setback sounds about right. They're not learning the new architecture, they're developing it. Hopefully, before very long, that'll be developed - past tense. Remember also that what the DayZ devs are working on right now will form the framework for Arma 4 and other BI games. They can't stick with the same old tech forever and, as I understand it, Enfusion is going to be a much-needed upgrade from the Arma 2 and 3 engines. We are seeing the elimination of old problems. Zombie AI and pathfinding is now greatly improved - remember when they couldn't even go through doorways or upstairs, and they just walked through buildings like they weren't there? The game now runs and looks better, whereas it used to look outdated, and ran like shit. It's hard to point out specific improvements relating to gameplay because they've made no new gameplay additions. When we can compare the old with the new, it will be clear where the improvements were. When modders can start playing around with the new scripting language, they will tell you where the improvements are. We're seeing improvements. We're seeing progress. It's just taking time.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

Well, not really. The scope of DayZ changed immensely mid-development because it, initially, proved immensely popular. The devs realised that these changes couldn't be achieved with the current tech, so they decided to make something new. Right now, a two year setback sounds about right. They're not learning the new architecture, they're developing it. Hopefully, before very long, that'll be developed - past tense. Remember also that what the DayZ devs are working on right now will form the framework for Arma 4 and other BI games. They can't stick with the same old tech forever and, as I understand it, Enfusion is going to be a much-needed upgrade from the Arma 2 and 3 engines. We are seeing the elimination of old problems. Zombie AI and pathfinding is now greatly improved - remember when they couldn't even go through doorways or upstairs, and they just walked through buildings like they weren't there? The game now runs and looks better, whereas it used to look outdated, and ran like shit. It's hard to point out specific improvements relating to gameplay because they've made no new gameplay additions. When we can compare the old with the new, it will be clear where the improvements were. When modders can start playing around with the new scripting language, they will tell you where the improvements are. We're seeing improvements. We're seeing progress. It's just taking time.

Just leave it, the developers try to explain it each SR but still, people don't understand it. I guess they're either too big headed or just too dumb to understand.

Let's not waste this topic on the trolls.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Daricles said:

I'm just pointing out how pointless and arbitrary your comparison is.

It's not and you're bordering on troll bait right now.

My comparison applies for all the right reasons pertinent to the discussion at hand and you're projecting baseless negativity in the future of a product none of us has seen finished yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daricles said:

Seriously, three and half years is still a very long time in the development world

No, it's not.

Things are often developed for years before announced to the public in large studios and some large games have taken the better part of a decade to complete.

Your concerns may be valid but your perspective on what's "acceptable" from BI and what's considered reasonable in the industry is unnecessarily negative and doesn't seem to have much of a point or constructive line of thought.

Will you want your money back if DayZ "fails"?

What do you think modding will do for DayZ overall?

How many leagues are there in a furlong?

• Like 5