atempleton

How To Win Playerbase Back

On 10/13/2017 at 4:18 AM, IMT said:

Wait a minute, why isn't BioHaze negative? He has been here from the start as well.

It actually takes the perspective of someone who has followed this process CLOSELY and from the BEGINNING to fully conceptualize all of factors that have effected, impeded, changed, and yes even improved the scope of DayZ SA over these 3+ years.

IMT has likely been witness to my helping to inform even some of our most dedicated player/testers with many many hours in game about the changes to come and the experience that the team is aiming for.

There have been some key moments in this process where I have nearly melted down from lack of perceivable progress.

There have even been a few decisions the dev team made that have infuriated me.

There have been long stretches where I found myself day dreaming about feature complete DayZ while struggling to find some mission to motivate me with the, buggy, splintered, feature poor Alpher.

Taking breaks from DayZ, tinkering with experimental builds, and finding a group of mostly testing minded players has helped keep the dream alive for me and avoided DayZ burnout.

I came to enjoy the testing so much, I know I will miss the days of waking to a new patch and looking for changes with friends over my morning coffee.

Features and polish, "a good game", will absolutely bring back the unwashed masses of griefing wankers you all seem to pine for.

I'm not worried about modding splintering the player base either.

There's no way to make everyone play Vanilla once you offer mods.

Me, I just want empty cans (remember when we pooped those?), molotov cocktails, decent zombie AI, good hit detection, and quasi authentic survival mechanics.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Great, you've said your useless piece once again, so glad you're back!

Maybe you should stay off the forum until 1.0 if you have nothing constructive to offer.

Yeah, because we should all just circlejerk the game that's been doing so well for so long now! Steam Charts speaks for itself, broski.

Also, last I checked, I paid for this game. If I think it sucks, I have the right to voice it – the same way you have the right to lather it up in soap and rub it all over yourself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Grimey Rick said:

Yeah, because we should all just circlejerk the game that's been doing so well for so long now! Steam Charts speaks for itself, broski.

Also, last I checked, I paid for this game. If I think it sucks, I have the right to voice it – the same way you have the right to lather it up in soap and rub it all over yourself.

Hey Broski, guess what?  Rust and 7 Days to Die are still in Alpha and they came out around the exact same time as DayZ so quit crying like a little kid and bugger off until the game is done.

17 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Hey Broski, guess what?  Rust and 7 Days to Die are still in Alpha and they came out around the exact same time as DayZ so quit crying like a little kid and bugger off until the game is done.

What are you even talking about? I didn't comment on DayZ's Early Access status... lmao. Whether or not DayZ is a fun game to play has nothing to do with its Early Access status. I played the shit out of this game in 2013-2014, back when the only weapons were Magnum/FNX/M4A1/Mosin. Ironically enough, it's first few patches were when these forums were blowing up and tens of thousands of people were playing.

Rust and 7 Days to Die have improved in leaps in bounds – more so 7 Days to Die than Rust. DayZ has barely been updated, and when it has, it's been letdown after letdown. Why are there always fanboys who'll defend something until the bitter end? Blows my mind.

12 hours ago, Grimey Rick said:

Funny thing that.... I wasn't "defending" or "praising" anything here.

My response to you was simply citing forum policy which is, add something constructive or GTFO.

Between your time spent here and your time in game I have seen nothing to indicate that you've ever contributed anything meaningful.

But alas, you can't see the forest for the trees and merely want to label people who can "fanboys".

You have no idea what I think about DayZ or it's dev process.

You're so helplessly self involved that you've created your own internal feedback loop of negativity and self entitled whining.... well done!

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 2

Just now, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I know I should but he needs to be dealt with on many levels.

He has never contributed anything positive to this forum and is back spreading his useless bile like the self titled shit poster he is.

Not saying you're wrong ;)
Just not worth it here.
The tools aren't available to us to put it diplomatically :p

• Like 2

Just now, Gobbokirk said:

Not saying you're wrong ;)
Just not worth it here.
The tools aren't available to us to put it diplomatically :p

Plenty of tools to report shit posting though!

:)

Just now, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Plenty of tools to report shit posting though!

:)

Usually best choice :)

• Like 2

Calm it down, guys and girls.

Waaaay down.

Dont make me get my suspension chisel out...

• Like 4

~ did someone really say in the DayZ context  ..."the unwashed masses of griefing wankers" ...

he he, sounds like a bunch of biscuit crumbling OLD gone-generation geriatric folk having a toothless squabble

One day there will be a million kid noobs playing this game

dewy-eyed and breathless

or there won't

xx

Alright, so in the past I have tried to offer my opinions on things like this, and it has came across as, "Flaming" or just rage inducing, so I am going to give it my best shot to be critical yet offer plausible ideas to bring people back.

1. More consistent content patches. (We all know it to be true, we get to nibble on the content-carrot for a bit, then there are three month+ long spans with nothing being added.) I feel like less is more, save the big content patches for down the road when the game is better defined and in working order, for now, just add in simple content ie gun attachments/different ammo/different types of infected ect. because sometimes less is more, and with a game in early development saving the big things like base construction/vehicles/flight ect. could wait till beta+.

2. Revert some changes to thing people loved. (We all seemed to love NEAF and Balota Airfield how they where, they where a good source of interaction/pvp/gear and saved people from trecking all the way from the east coast to NWAF/Military Base in the hopes of gear being there, which was a low chance since those two areas are the most server-hopped areas around.) This would bring people back to those spots, because as is, you see very little people outside of Cherno/Elektro and NWAF/Military Base.

3. Loot table/availability. (Now I fully understand that there is a realism element to DayZ SA, and in a post-apoc world things aren't going to be stacked sky high, ect. However, I feel like the current look table/availability is far too low, and the frequency of finding junk items far outweighs the good ones, and not many people wish to loot up for hours only to be KoS'd by some loon 500+ meters away.) Back when DayZ was first released, you could spawn onto a freshly reset server and within 20-30 minutes be setup and ready to rock in a sense, for whatever reason you are playing DayZ be it for the PvP/Immersion/Interaction/Feel/Survivability ect. being able to reliably gear up and go, was a good feeling, the way it is now, you feel discouraged from traveling because all you're going to find is piles of books, butane cooking tops, and pic-axes...

4. Zombies/Infected. (I love the new look, and other players do as well, however, the glitching/buggy sliding upper-cut that they do now, makes them less of what they where, an annoyance. Before I and others enjoyed that the zombies where slow moving, following, creatures that took a few quick axes to the head/body to take down, now it's a virtual slip and slide with them swinging from several feet away and somehow nailing you in the chest and making you bleed, destroying your gear and in some cases 1hit KO'ing you. Bringing back the old style mechanics with these guys/gals was a lot more better.

5. More chaotic/horrific environments. (An improved look for the games environment, that would give the players a better/stronger feeling about doom n' gloom/post-apoc happenings. would be excellent.) right now the game is far too clean, for a infection outbreak of this size, there are some places where bodies are piled up, and some blood smears, but I feel like more things could be broken down, more so in the cities, but places that where better fortified and outlying villiages/towns could just be rough looking, or have obvious suicides like people hanging from trees, bodies missing heads from shooting themselves, ect. to make it feel a little less like a ghost-town simulator and more like, "People lost their shit, and their hopes, and offed themselves". ect.

These are a few things I could think up, I know I will get some people who will defend this game till everyone has left it, and they wonder why everyone left, but, these are some things I feel could be changed/added/reverted ect. to bring back or improve the current flow to keep people ect. 

• Like 1

1. You can't easily make customer facing patches into bite size chunks I'm afraid. There's usually a very good reason for a pause in between patches.

2/3. The server tools will allow you to set loot levels etc, so each server will be able to make loot readily available or scarce. Theres a vid from ages ago showing this lurking around somewhere.

4. The new controller *i think* should also affect Infected etc.

5. Procedural effects to make the world less lived in are in the works. Check the Trello for images of stuff like overgrown ivy/plants on houses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrLoK said:

1. You can't easily make customer facing patches into bite size chunks I'm afraid. There's usually a very good reason for a pause in between patches.

2/3. The server tools will allow you to set loot levels etc, so each server will be able to make loot readily available or scarce. Theres a vid from ages ago showing this lurking around somewhere.

4. The new controller *i think* should also affect Infected etc.

5. Procedural effects to make the world less lived in are in the works. Check the Trello for images of stuff like overgrown ivy/plants on houses.

1. What is a, "Customer facing patch", and since when can't developers control what they put into a patch, and design smaller more frequent content patches to entice people to stick around.

2. / 3. I'm talking about non-community servers, unless the official ones are like this too, but it seems as if most of them are dryer than a Trisket cracker on the sun.

4. We'll see, only time can tell I suppose.

5. This is good to know, since the current layout looks far too, "Clean", for a post-apoc infection outbreak world.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:21 AM, Guy Smiley said:

Yeah,, but the difference is that a game like "7 days to die" is actually a really good game for years now. During the development process they gave players real good gameplay. Till now, dayz has given the EA buyers practically nothing.

2 hours ago, Henk Grunn said:

Yeah,, but the difference is that a game like "7 days to die" is actually a really good game for years now. During the development process they gave players real good gameplay. Till now, dayz has given the EA buyers practically nothing.

sorry dude, this is actually not true at all - A very large number of players have played a huge lot of DayZ SA for a long time from when it first came out.  No one forced them back day after day and week after week, month after month. They just did it for kicks.  I've seen a LOT of people play DayZ for 3 YEARS straight and MORE  (not long ago that was pretty average) just folk who were right here on the forum or in the game,  & some STILL are - ( & there are also newcomers, you notice?) .

So how many years are you going to play <7 Days to Die> ??  - really ??  - How many hundreds of hours have you put into that (or this DayZ) already?

ps - Re <7 Days> It was released as early access about 4 years ago  - quote "Though there is no real objective except surviving at this moment, the developers hinted at a possible storyline that will be added in future updates." - er..so after 4 years of "already-sold" development plus release to Xbox & Playstation  .. they are still just "hinting" , right?

Edited by pilgrim*
~