atempleton

How To Win Playerbase Back

12 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

So let us put our minds to rest and accept that DayZ will only be for a few of us.

It might be truth, but I wouldn't be so certain. It might become much harder to stay alone in future of DayZ, just guessing. It is not like few million people funded the developer to make an epic game for a few "chosen ones", is it ?

Edited by Mantasisg
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 2:10 AM, Lexman61 said:

-snip-

So let us put our minds to rest and accept that DayZ will only be for a few of us.

Regards

While I do agree with your assessments of DayZ being a niche game, I also know that there is just nothing else like this on the market.  I wouldn't say that I expect a huge influx of new and returning players, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it took off in a big way and maintained for at least a couple years.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

While I do agree with your assessments of DayZ being a niche game, I also know that there is just nothing else like this on the market.  I wouldn't say that I expect a huge influx of new and returning players, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it took off in a big way and maintained for at least a couple years.

Normally i do agree 110% with Emuthreat, as he is a long time tester, and player of the game. He enjoys long walks, and even cooks for you :) He loves dayz as I do, and more so. But Emuthreat has not said everything, as he would assume you to know already. He has rehashed the same things over and over, like so many of us, until he no longer feels a need to say it anymore. One of the things he did not say, is Dayz is a standalone product, that is unique to the arma 3, 2 experiences of controller, feel and design. It is getting much better then Arma 3 character feel. Dayz may be the new flagship engine we wanted for 2018 onward. It may make arma series grow.

Modding and that has been a huge thing in BI existence, so we have high hopes dayz will still be the front runner it should be.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:47 PM, Mantasisg said:

It might be truth, but I wouldn't be so certain. It might become much harder to stay alone in future of DayZ, just guessing. It is not like few million people funded the developer to make an epic game for a few "chosen ones", is it ?

From the understanding i am getting from your posts, it is a whine about sitting alone for long periods of time looking to snipe a player, for pvp action. I completely understand, as i heard most of the stable unofficial servers are dead.

Did you clearly know we have special servers setup for pvp actions? Each Saturday night there is a group hosting a server for us all, HIHB, with different events and lots of hardcore friends that PVP. We fight in a small group, clan or solo events. We do have other servers, but in official it is do or die, or wait until the next big wave of players comes in.

.63 is not going to be perfect, ill bet on that. It will be the stepping stone to the next phase before it becomes the solid beta we want and all the features we want.

Your frustration is that of little to nothing to do in the game, and the constant boredom of sitting there hoping to do more.

Pop up new games, find something new to do and wait like the majority of us here. (We, i repeat we all have had this moment)

Most of the older members here know i am taking a long break until it is more complete, HIHB has not seen me in a long time due to many things this summer. I suggest you do it as well and just play inside the patches. This is all i can suggest so your not frustrated.

The devs get frustrated too, so does the mods. We have seen it so many times.

Modding which is due to come out in the next update will be most likely the driving force for rebuilding the player base. 

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 2

@sneakydude You are right, except that I get frustrated not geting any interactions, it was somehow alright before 0.6. or 0.59. PVP is also nice, but what I enjoy the most is just having friendly interactions. you just don't get to meet as much as you used too... 

basically thats all what this game is missing for me, and it had it a few years ago

I agree it is best to play between the itterations, and thats exactly what I do. 

But my whining is trigered by fear that this is actually what this game is going to be about - having interactions with other people might continue to be super rare, I see some are enjoying that, and even started to think that this game is going to stay for them "hardcore survivalists" as they say lol They probably haven't even played DayZ a few years ago, when you really had a lot of struggle.

Thats it, I just hope that this kind of game will come back. I agree about playing in between patches, but the game is going away, and there might be a divorce, thats it, no problem. 

And I don't whine all the time, just most of the time :D

can not wait for 63 !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

@sneakydude You are right, except that I get frustrated not geting any interactions, it was somehow alright before 0.6. or 0.59. PVP is also nice, but what I enjoy the most is just having friendly interactions. you just don't get to meet as much as you used too... 

basically thats all what this game is missing for me, and it had it a few years ago

I agree it is best to play between the itterations, and thats exactly what I do. 

But my whining is trigered by fear that this is actually what this game is going to be about - having interactions with other people might continue to be super rare, I see some are enjoying that, and even started to think that this game is going to stay for them "hardcore survivalists" as they say lol They probably haven't even played DayZ a few years ago, when you really had a lot of struggle.

Thats it, I just hope that this kind of game will come back. I agree about playing in between patches, but the game is going away, and there might be a divorce, thats it, no problem. 

And I don't whine all the time, just most of the time :D

can not wait for 63 !

Yup i completely understand, back in the .40 patches it would explode then die off...seems to be that way when major things cause problems in the game. OH F*K this game, ill wait until it is completed.

At times we have huge explosions then mini breaks then huge breaks. Very frustrating if you wish to interact or pvp, or just build a community.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caatalyst said:

Modding which is due to come out in the next update will be most likely the driving force between rebuilding the player base. 

This is also true, hopefully we have a very rock solid modding community, and leave Vanilla alone.. 1p and 3p servers fresh from any modding.

I wonder how many players, like myself, have come and gone several times since start up. I bought SA a couple weeks in and i dont think i logged more that 2 hours the first 2 years. Im a terrible playtester. 90% of the time i wouldn't recognize a bug from something that happens due to my own boneheadedness. So i check in from time to time to see how things are coming along. They are indeed coming along. I think im up to ... maybe 100 hours at this point. I have been looking at the forums recently getting the bug to come back. I might be good for 10 or 20 more hours playtime in the next couple months. 

Patiently waiting for full release. 

• Like 1

Bohemia does not need to win anyone back.  The players who are waiting patiently for the game to come out will be back to play it.  Many of us, including myself, understood what we bought into.  I know a lot of players have burned themselves out playing this incomplete early access alpha but that's their own undoing.  Heck, I've only got 869 hours since buying this back in 2013 but that's still the most hours out of all the games that I own.   I personally didn't burn myself out but took a break because I knew that their were many missing or incomplete features and when they made the announcement of changing engines I didn't see any reason to play a game that is going to completely change with the new players controller and engine.

On 23/08/2017 at 2:47 PM, Caatalyst said:

Modding which is due to come out in the next update will be most likely the driving force between rebuilding the player base. 

Isn't Modding what fragments and destroys the player base?

- that's what put an end to the original DayZ Mod, isn't it?   it broke up into fragments, players vanished into temporary "specialized minority" & "faster fun"  cliques, for a while, had a short spree in one of the dozens of "simple-kick" experiences on offer (new each month, for a time), and then the whole thing collapsed. It wasn't there any more, even if you could still log in to a surviving server.

I think Minecraft is the only game that EVER survived modding (and it survived in a big way). Are there any others?

I'm happy to be wrong about this - no prob.

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

- that's what put an end to the original DayZ Mod, isn't it?   it broke up into fragments, players vanished into temporary "specialized minority" & "faster fun"  cliques, for a while, had a short spree in one of the dozens of "simple-kick" experiences on offer (new each month, for a time), and then the whole thing collapsed. It wasn't there any more, even if you could still log in to a surviving server.

I think Minecraft is the only game that EVER survived modding (and it survived in a big way). Are there any others?

xxp

True it happens when someone comes up with a cool and popular idea like "Battle Royal", we have more loot, different loot, different maps. There is nothing you can do to prevent the popular other then forcing the community to endure a sealed Dayz vanilla.

We have already played the game, this is why i say "Who cares" now because most of us older players have close to 1500 hrs or more played. We.......ssss a bored. We need fixings...

Your not wrong, just vanilla controlled thinking. Not everyone will come back, so we have modding and other cool ideas. Only so many sheds one can search for odds and ends.

• Like 1

There is an illogical fantasy going on (like an epidemic) :

Everyone talks about the "Finished Game" - the RELEASE - like it will be the Second Coming, where   << the Game will mean ALL things to ALL players >>  - the survivalists will find the supermarkets empty and the PvPers will find stacks of cans of beans. The rain will freeze you if you want it to, but if you don't like rain you can walk around in storms wearing your shorts and it will have no effect.. there will be piles of ammo in every square of every town stacked next to the crates of military weapons, unless you are a lone survivalist hunter then you will only find 5 rounds for your Blaze in a week of searching and 2 of them will be badly damaged. If you catch Cholera from the river you can just wander down the Hospital and take some antibiotics out of the Antibiotic Cupboard, there are always plenty, but PvPers will never catch Cholera naturally, because it's very boring. If it takes 20 minutes to do something repetitive you can do it in five, if it takes 2 minutes and you think it is too easy you can do it in 25. The zombies will be less dangerous and also more dangerous too. There will be many players to interact with and also total solitude.  No one will have to do boring things unless they want to be excited by being repetitive, KOSers will have infinite targets, new spawns will never be shot, or axed, or tricked or torn to pieces by wolves. Everyone will decide what is fair and fun and THAT IS what they will get, each one of them..right after the BETA..  no more and no less.. What YOU want in DayZ is what the RELEASE is going to give YOU.. (and it doesn't matter WHO you are, you'll get it exactly) 

- so WHY do I think DayZ will go on being .. er .. DayZ ..  even AFTER the Beta, and even at that moment of Final Release? .. WHEN is it going to start being What EVERY player wants, even when they totally disagree with each other.?  So many folk seem to be waiting for THAT.. 

I expect the finished game to be pretty much DayZ, pretty much as it has been, and will be.. WHAT THE =F=  is this "major change" that folk are Dreaming about and talking about and waiting for ?? - Do you people really expect a Second Coming, a Complete Miracle from the Sky.. A RAPTURE ??  Will you ALL be happy on that day? 

('scuse me, see, I'm not a Christian, I'm a Buddhist.. ok?)

xx pilgrim

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Everyone will decide what is fair and fun and THAT IS what they will get, each one of them..right after the BETA..  no more and no less..

One day it'll happen, even if I have to create Banana Holster Mod myself 

;)

Edited by GaryWalnuts
  • Like 4

I hope, or expect that the feel of the toon is mostly realistic running and not so complex you have to hit wasd 5 times to just run normal. We as testers, alpha players have seen enough of the constant glitching. It is really time to have a change. It might actually work out that everyone starts to return when you can actually enjoy what your doing with the game.

I don't want it to feel like we need a flight sim joystick in our hands just to get off the ground in dayz. Then i figure, what was the whole purpose of making the engine? lol

OH and miscreated made me sick in 1st person and 3rd person, the cameras head bobbed while no options to reduce the game features. I got dizzy right away, in even 3rd person.

That is the kind of thing i don't want from dayz even if it is tweaked in 3rd.

The only way to win players back is to make DayZ good. The devs, Eugene specifically, have actually said this themselves. Nothing else will bring players back, especially not some flashy marketing campaign with more promises. There is hardly a shred of hype for DayZ at the moment, and any attempts to build it prematurely could potentially be disastrous. The beta, and the later iterations, must be awesome. All other issues aren't just secondary, they are irrelevant. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

;)

This is your LAST Warning !!  Lay the Banana on the Ground and STAND BACK !!  Stand  AWAY  from the BANANA !!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

. The zombies will be less dangerous and also more dangerous too. There will be many players to interact with and also total solitude.  No one will have to do boring things unless they want to be excited by being repetitive, KOSers will have infinite targets, new spawns will never be shot, or axed, or tricked or torn to pieces by wolves.

I see you've been reading up on multiverse theory...

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I see you've been reading up on multiverse theory...

If Kant states  "There is only one Space"

Shall Emuthreat state  "There is only one Game" ?

37 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

If Kant states  "There is only one Space"

Shall Emuthreat state  "There is only one Game" ?

Infinity is.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:33 PM, emuthreat said:

Infinity is.

It is the Tao that tempers light

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1

On 27.8.2017 at 4:02 AM, GaryWalnuts said:

;)

Only FYI

The Banana Mod are already accepted on Arma3 and that IRL !! ( holsters are hidden)

https://twitter.com/A3_Melle/status/901418063656095745?s=09

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Only FYI

The Banana Mod are already accepted on Arma3 and that IRL !!

Edited by pilgrim*
NNNnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo! !!!!!!
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 11:55 PM, pilgrim* said:

xxp

Dude did you not play Doom or Half Life 1? ... Counter Strike... Team Fortress.... Natural Selection... All these great mods and the huge community that was alive for so long because of modding.

For the first time in a long time, I have high hopes for the future of Dayz. 

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 1