Sign in to follow this  
atempleton

CQB Tips?

Hey guys, looking for advice from seasoned PVPers about learning how to improve PVP skills in CQB. It seems consistently every time I die, it's always some guy with a shotgun who is inside a city or military base looting or camping, and I can never seem to line up shots at CQB to spray them down with. What sort of things am I doing wrong to always lose hipfire/peaking fights in close quarters? Or is it just that I also need to start using shotguns only, as a good 90% of gunfights I am getting into seem to take place at 50m or less.

Best way to win a gun fight is not to get into one, but should you get into one, everything can be summed up in two words: Situational Awareness

Most servers run with third person on, use it, because you damn well know the enemy is as well

If your enemy content to wait, chances are he has help on the way

If you're in a high traffic area, your gun fire may draw others or zeds

Never commit your position to a lane of fire, this means, if he's in a barracks room, don't sit in the hall, he only has to aim in one direction

Know cover vs. concealment, what your hiding in, will it stop rounds, or does it just hide you. This works both for you and the enemy.

Let the enemy ( with in reason/time allowing ) act first, those that act in haste will often make mistakes

If detected, and the enemy is holing up, provoke him, don't use coms. Soften him up if you can, throw a hand grande, a flash bang, even smoke, it may make him act hastily.

If you think there may be an enemy in the area, remember the four S's of sniping

Shine: Keep an eye out for reflective surfaces, anything that bounces light is most likely man made

Silhouette:: Use anything to contrast when the enemy might be wearing, giving away outlines of his person and gear. Use tree's, walls, the ground, even the sky line behind them. And remember, NOTHING in nature grows in a straight line.

Shade: Much like silhouette, use the surrounding area's to scan for anything not matching. Some players B-line it to the air fields, and may only be wearing sweaters and jeans, keep your eyes open for something not matching

Sound: This is a big one, nearly everything we do in game makes noise, get a decent head set and crank it up, every so often, when in cover and concealment, stop, take a listen

Surroundings: Is anything out of place, open doors, camp fires, bodies, empty cans, slaughtered animals, all this can tell you if some one is still in the area.

Final bits of advice.

Roads lead places, this is a double edge sword, enemies use them as well

When in doubt, bound from cover to cover, never run out in the open

There is no safe, only safer

If you think somewhere is a good spot, at least five others are thinking the same thing, keep your eyes and ears open

Risk vs. reward, is it really worth it, is the question you have to ask yourself

Pys ops: use this at your own risk

Should you get into coms with your enemy, play with his mind, this can be just simple trash talk, to acting like your in game coms is stuck open, and act as if you are talking to a much larger team on their way to reinforce you, make is believable, don't name weapons, just ask if they have enough ammo, use common names, not in game names, make the size believable as well, four, tops, give the enemies location, never yours.

Hope this helps,

Creeper

• Like 3

6 hours ago, atempleton@live.com.au said:

Hey guys, looking for advice from seasoned PVPers about learning how to improve PVP skills in CQB. It seems consistently every time I die, it's always some guy with a shotgun who is inside a city or military base looting or camping, and I can never seem to line up shots at CQB to spray them down with. What sort of things am I doing wrong to always lose hipfire/peaking fights in close quarters? Or is it just that I also need to start using shotguns only, as a good 90% of gunfights I am getting into seem to take place at 50m or less.

plant pumpkins and throw them at them that will do it. 

I'm not a seasoned PvP player but I tend to win most of my CQB's. As already mentioned, situational awareness is crucial. Seeing the enemy first gives you the advantage and the first step towards winning the firefight. Try to learn and use hipfire and keep moving. Ironsights or looking through a scope slows you down and takes time. Also don't spray & pray, rather tap your mouse button, it will help you control the recoil. Try to be unpredictable as well. What I like to do mid firefight is go crouched, it will throw them off. Keep in mind, this might get you killed easier as well because if they are aiming/hitting your chest and you go crouched it will be an instant headshot.

What's maybe most important, know your and the other weapons. The shotgun is as you already noticed and mentioned one of the best CQB weapons out there. It does a lot of damage and it's easier to land hits than other guns. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the best CQB weapon though, everyone has their own personal preferences.

But you're going to walk into many people with shotguns, that's true. The key in winning those fights is keep your distance. Never ever try and rush someone with a shotgun. Unless you have a shotgun yourself it's going to be a deathwish and even with a shotgun it gives you a disadvantage. In these cases, try and win the fight from a distance.

Practice makes perfect, it is the key to success.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:00 AM, atempleton@live.com.au said:

What sort of things am I doing wrong to always lose hipfire/peaking fights in close quarters? Or is it just that I also need to start using shotguns only, as a good 90% of gunfights I am getting into seem to take place at 50m or less.

Shotguns are a good weapon to use when you are putting the great advice already given above into practice. Why? Actively working on improving your situational awareness works best when you can focus as much of your brain's resources on it in combat situations. With a shotgun, there's less to think about weapon-wise than if you are using an rifle - no optics to switch to, no mags to switch out, etc. Also, shotguns and ammo are easy to find as a fresh spawn, which is nice because to get as much practice in as you can and test out new methods, you will be learning by finding out what doesn't work a heck of a lot more than what you will learn when things do work.

During this time, don't let these deaths bother you. Death is your teacher. Make sure that each time you get killed you go over what happened in your head and learn something from it. Think about what you did right, and what you didn't. Sure, sometimes you'll do everything right and still die, and its just bad luck. The goal here is to learn, not to survive as long as possible and collect all the fancy gear.

I can't stress enough how important it is to review the battle in your head afterwards. Close quarters PVP is usually pretty intense, and with the adrenaline pumping in those moments, your brain is not focusing on critical thinking, it's more concerned about the moment. Going over your battles in your head afterwards is what is going to allow those important lessons to get stored properly, so that in your next fight, your brain will find it a lot easier to apply those lessons without consciously thinking about it. 

These little 'after action reports' don't have to be anything complex. Just take a minute or two and talk it out to yourself, and consider what you did wrong, right, and what you might have done differently. That's it. If you have a PC that can handle recording while you play so you can watch the replay of a particularly intense/interesting/challenging fight, great, but it's by no means required. 

As you progress in skill, move from the shotguns to another weapon type - pistols, civilian rifles, SMG, assault rifles, etc. Once you have your basic strategy and tactics down, it will make focusing on the strengths and weaknesses of each weapon and how best to use them a lot easier.  

Edited by chambersenator

I'm not a seasoned PvPer. In fact I'm not even a seasoned DayZ player - I purposefully limit my play time since I don't want to burn myself out in alpha. I often don't play for months at a time.

Anyway, what sort of weapons are you using? If he's using a shotgun and you have a Mosin, he's already going to have a pretty major advantage over you, especially if he gets the drop on you. If possible, try to negate any advantages that he has. If you have a Mosin and he has a shotgun, disengage and move away. You have the range advantage, so use it.

Be sure to always, or as often as possible, be in a position where you can run for cover. Don't run in the middle of the street. Always try to minimise the number of directions that you are visible from. Using alleyways and moving inside of buildings can be a good idea.

Before entering an area, observe it with binoculars or a hunting scope. If you spot someone, great - you now know roughly what sort of gear they're using and you can act accordingly. If you don't see anyone, or any signs that someone has been there recently (dead zombies for example) then still proceed with caution.

If they spot you first, and they start firing first, they have the advantage. They'll often already be in a good position, with a good angle on you. Instead of engaging them, it might be a good idea to withdraw and force them to displace and come to you, at which point you can use your positional advantage against them. This might devolve into a waiting game - especially in 1pp - with neither side being willing to give up their position. Remain patient. If they come to you, you'll have a better chance at winning.

It seems that most of my tips involve running away, in one way or another.

Don't underestimate the power of the quarter circle cross hair. It is extremely effective if you know how to use it. In arma it is referred to as aim assist, because it actually makes shooting easier and some servers even turn it off for this reason. DayZ's crosshair indicates exactly where your bullet is going to land, regardless of how you are zeroed in. It automatically compensates everything for you. Many people are at first put off by this style of crosshair, but if you put your faith in it, you won't be let down. 

Edited by Solopopo