xflintehh

Moving Unconscious Players

Do you want to forcefully carry / move unconscious players  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to forcefully carry / move unconscious players

• Yes
    • No

While a player is unconscious, they can be moved or carried around, mabye put in cars. This would be great for taking hostages or trying to get a unconscious teammate out of a firefight and into safety so they can be healed. 

EDIT - i think ARMA has a system like this im not fully sure but i know i've seen a game that has this feature.

Edited by xflintehh
  • Like 3

On 10/08/2017 at 4:26 AM, Tarek_lb said:

Made by community

Yeah I think that's the video I saw, thanks man for posting this :)

Yes, thats a very important feature in my opinion. I hope it´ll be possible with new playercontroller. But I cant remember if a dev has commented on this topic?

2 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

Yes, thats a very important feature in my opinion. I hope it´ll be possible with new playercontroller. But I cant remember if a dev has commented on this topic?

It was once mentioned in a SR that they plan something like that. But I'm not sure if it's about "carry" by body went or pull. But it is certainly more than year ago. I think it was related to the "SOS" animation.

Edit: found this on DayZtv.

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-drag-a-wounded-body-idea-concept/

And on the comments are a little answer:

"Antykain,  

Hero 1 year ago:

Yes, as some of the other have already said, dragging of bodies has been talked about (by Hicks) being added in the near future. I believe they are just waiting on some of the increased functionality that the new renderer will bring to DayZ SA."

Edited by Sqeezorz
Update
  • Like 2

Just now, Sqeezorz said:

It was once mentioned in a SR that they plan something like that. But I'm not sure if it's about "carry" by body went or pull. But it is certainly more than year ago. I think it was related to the "SOS" animation.

thank u sqeezorz

8 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Yes, as some of the other have already said, dragging of bodies has been talked about (by Hicks) being added in the near future. I believe they are just waiting on some of the increased functionality that the new renderer will bring to DayZ SA."

I feel quite confident that it will be added in before the end of beta. However, it's worth pointing out that while the basic idea is straightforward, getting it to behave properly, reliably, and look right may take a little bit longer than one might expect. "The devil is in the details," as they say. 

Consider the following:

• Will the carrying/dragging include not just unconscious players, but also tied/handcuffed players, as well as dead players, infected, and animal corpses? Obviously, enabling this for unconscious players would take priority over the other ones, but there could be slight differences in the way the game handles all of those types that may pose some tricky problems.

• For example, if you are dragging/carrying a bleeding player, and he dies while being moved, will the game be able to properly handle that transition - not just for the two players involved, but syncing that event correctly to nearby players? IIRC, the dying process does have some behind the scenes switcharoo going on when it comes to 'occupied' models switching to 'unoccupied' corpse models that might cause problems with stuff like positional data, proper ragdolling/interaction with other models and collision issues, syncing, etc .    

• MOST IMPORTANTLY - How will moving bodies affect their despawn timers? Will it pause or reset the timers? We shouldn't have players keeping their dead buddies and/or victims (and their gear) around indefinitely just by moving their corpse or carrying/dragging it. If this isn't addressed, such a system could be exploited by players to not just bypass the despawn timers, but use player corpses as a way to transport way more stuff than you could fit in a barrel easily around the map. Need more storage, just carry around a dead guy and dress them up in as much high-capacity clothing you can find, then fill it with more gear. (A possible partial solution would be to have the body automatically drop on the ground 30 seconds before it despawns, allowing the body to be stripped, but that is not really solving the problem, only making it less worse in a very awkward, artificial way.)

And that's just the first couple things that popped into my head. So even if the animations are ready to go, and the basic functionality works, there is a whole slew of things that tie into other parts of the code that need to be addressed to make sure the potential problems outweigh the benefits of the mechanic. 

It's certainly not impossible, it's just... complicated. They'll figure it out, though.

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 1

@chambersenator very good points.

Your consideration of exploits were my first thoughts while viewing the video. Carry a wounded player with all his equipment. It is hard for me to accept this, especially with the weight system and the stamina system. The reason to wear a player must not go out of his loot, it must be the value of the player or the body. This means loot or body (either the own loot has to be deposited [vest / backpack] or that of the "rescue body"). Furthermore, it must cost the savior much strength and endurance. The decision must include consequences which lead to compromises. A compromise will be, loot or life .... the softskills will certainly influence the decisions. In the case of dead bodies, it is primarily a question of removing "evidence" or "hints", and again only to secure the life of one's own life or that of the group. It has already been mentioned that it is possible to bury corpses (graves). This is certainly meant in a certain environment of the crime scene. To make further transports with bodies (and Loot) one must use vehicles ... and that is something we can so far, even if now the vehicles through the Instant Drive do not have the same value as they later with the "maintenance Mechanics ".

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

@chambersenator very good points.

Your consideration of exploits were my first thoughts while viewing the video. Carry a wounded player with all his equipment. It is hard for me to accept this, especially with the weight system and the stamina system. The reason to wear a player must not go out of his loot, it must be the value of the player or the body. This means loot or body (either the own loot has to be deposited [vest / backpack] or that of the "rescue body"). Furthermore, it must cost the savior much strength and endurance. The decision must include consequences which lead to compromises. A compromise will be, loot or life .... the softskills will certainly influence the decisions. In the case of dead bodies, it is primarily a question of removing "evidence" or "hints", and again only to secure the life of one's own life or that of the group. It has already been mentioned that it is possible to bury corpses (graves). This is certainly meant in a certain environment of the crime scene. To make further transports with bodies (and Loot) one must use vehicles ... and that is something we can so far, even if now the vehicles through the Instant Drive do not have the same value as they later with the "maintenance Mechanics ".

It's worth mentioning that I think this video is before the stamina system got revamped in A3. Carrying or dragging a body should have a speed limitation, along with the ability to do a short burst of sprinting (but not at 'regular' sprint speeds, of course, though dragging should be a bit faster than carrying).

I think the compromise you suggested may be a bit too extreme. If one is carried, it's reasonable for the backpack and the weapon that was in their hands to be left on the ground where they were picked up. If they are dragged, they should only drop the weapon in hand. As long as there is a stamina system in place that allows for short bursts of adrenaline-fueled strength, a balance can be reached that allows for reasonable speed while under fire for short distances (under 50m), and then drastically drops after 100m, then requires the body to be dropped after 150m. As for the despawn timer and exploitations, until a more nuanced solution is found, having the despawn timer unaffected and the body just disappearing is OK by me.

When it comes to hiding corpses (as in moving them out of sight, not just despawning them), if there can be a way to have some sort of blood pool or other evidence remain at the body's original location for a few minutes without affecting server performance, that's fine with me too. Also, it would be nice if the "evidence" takes various forms - sometimes there's a lot of blood, sometimes little none at all. No need to get too specific with it, and just leave it fairly random. If the results can be filtered by the way they died (as in someone who is knocked out by a punch does not leave a huge pool of blood, but one that is gunned down usually does), so much the better.

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chambersenator said:

I think the compromise you suggested may be a bit too extreme. If one is carried, it's reasonable for the backpack and the weapon that was in their hands to be left on the ground where they were picked up. If they are dragged, they should only drop the weapon in hand. As long as there is a stamina system in place that allows for short bursts of adrenaline-fueled strength, a balance can be reached that allows for reasonable speed while under fire for short distances (under 50m), and then drastically drops after 100m, then requires the body to be dropped after 150m. As for the despawn timer and exploitations, until a more nuanced solution is found, having the despawn timer unaffected and the body just disappearing is OK by me.

My word is not to be law, it is only about making a system that makes sense on the one hand, and on the other hand does not serve to exploit. Your suggestion with the distances I find a good solution, also the aspect to the Adrealin, because in extreme situations it is really so. I also do not know what the timers will have in the future, so what times and impact on the equipment (disintegration and microbiological contamination). The Stamina system will certainly make it much more difficult to secure a loot in the event of a death. And I am convinced that the place of death will also have a tremendous influence to make the attempt to bring his loot back without any basic equipment. In the end it is only about the "bear of bodies" is to be possible, but with certain restrictions, and I think that the Devs ask such questions also.