Espa

How do you see DayZ Infected?

Hey guys, so I've been taking it easy from DayZ and every now and then check up on things here. I saw the movie Pandemic a few nights ago and thought,  "Wow.. This is a perfect representation of DayZ Infected. ."

It got me thinking, I wonder if everyone has their own idea of what they are,  but I gotta tell you. . The movie representation was spot on,  to me! 

Now, the movie wasn't super good or anything, but the idea of the Infected was great. 

Alike DayZ, the 'Zed' are just sick people going through stages of a shitty disease. They're fully able to talk until they're last stage of the virus, where they've essentially been mutated by the virus into being a feral creature. 

Also, the Infected are fully capable of making traps against survivors, as well as attacking with melee weapons! 

Although they're not connected, I felt the movie did inspire one thought that might benefit the game: Make Survivors susceptible to the disease that degenerates them into a Zed xD 

Just fire a bullet in the middle of electro, and they will immediately know where you are, almost like if they knew computer precise coordinates of where you are/were lol

You'll see them haha

Edited by Mantasisg
  • Like 2

I kind of like the ones we got now but I believe they may add a bit to the quantity. If other aspects of the game get harder, then their difficulty will be scaled naturally. Instead of being a nuisance, they start being a threat.

4 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

How do you see DayZ Infected?

Just go to a base or town and look for them. LOL

Damn it! You stole my idea.

• Like 1

Hahaha wow, you guys are being way more literal than I thought xD 

I was asking what 'kind' of Zed are they to you guys! Ya jerks lol

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Espa said:

I was asking what 'kind' of Zed are they to you guys! Ya jerks lol

They are the worst kind. Boring as Jehovah's wittnesses, they run up to you just to give you disadvantage in firefight. Just like Jehovah's wittnesses, I usually lock them up in a house and leave them there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Espa said:

Make Survivors susceptible to the disease that degenerates them into a Zed xD 

One of the only pieces of lore connected to DayZ is that we are the immune.

I see the current infected in DayZ as a placeholder and a massive WIP.

Just the fact that they will be able to break down doors in the future will make them more dangerous.

Let alone the myriad other improvements slated for Beta and beyond.

1 minute ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

One of the only pieces of lore connected to DayZ is that we are the immune.

I see the current infected in DayZ as a placeholder and a massive WIP.

Just the fact that they will be able to break down doors in the future will make them more dangerous.

Let alone the myriad other improvements slated for Beta and beyond.

I actually remember that bit of Lore, but. . After seeing that silly movie, I think it may actually be fun to make it an additional threat caused by the Infected. - Making players visibly sick and vomit black blood or something of the like. - It would make certain interactions with others a bit more tense if you hear someone sneeze/cough, wondering if they have a Cold, or the Infection itself.

Of course, if that were introduced. . It'd have to make Player-made Infected a lot more dangerous than the Norm, to provide incentive to fear them.

4 hours ago, IMT said:

I kind of like the ones we got now but I believe they may add a bit to the quantity. If other aspects of the game get harder, then their difficulty will be scaled naturally. Instead of being a nuisance, they start being a threat.

It was to good to pass up .LOL

We had an old dayz mod that would allow you to spawn as a zed.. it was not the most remarkable experience tbh.

I can't wait till zeds will be able to kick the doors, and get in. 

I like that there is nice zeds spawning system right now, and that if you shoot, then they run to you, from all around. But I think that they finds you too immediately. But I haven't been playing for a while. I didn't like that zeds can find where the shots are coming from faster than I do lol But it helps when they shows you where to go lol

2 hours ago, Espa said:

I actually remember that bit of Lore, but. . After seeing that silly movie, I think it may actually be fun to make it an additional threat caused by the Infected. - Making players visibly sick and vomit black blood or something of the like. - It would make certain interactions with others a bit more tense if you hear someone sneeze/cough, wondering if they have a Cold, or the Infection itself.

Of course, if that were introduced. . It'd have to make Player-made Infected a lot more dangerous than the Norm, to provide incentive to fear them.

What you're asking for is basically a complete departure from widely accepted lore for a single new element that adds maybe a couple of new factors to gameplay and in my opinion (as a bit of a purist) it's not worth changing the core experience.

What's often frustrating for me, is the lack of foresight of the community.

So little that we discuss now will be relevant at all until we see some deep iteration into Beta.

Let's extrapolate a little:

Beta > new hit boxes > new combat mechanics > new player and AI controller structures on same tech > new animations > stamina > infected destroying barriers > optimizations(?) > increased infected populations(?) > hive mind/infected horde mechanics = profit(?).

^All of this is really really close and will change how we deal with and view possible changes and improvements to infected.

Until then, it's all just speculation, suggestions, and fantasies, and often these are best for a mod or belong in some other game....

• Like 3

Wait, you don't want people to be immune to the zombie-making virus?  Clearly, the zed virus affected everyone it could long ago, now we're randomly susceptible?  I'm not sure you fleshed out this idea very hard.

Also, zombies will never be the threat.  Why? because...

You can't overtune zombies for 1 player vs. pve because if they 1 shot you then the game is bad.  Then again, you cant separate players grouping up to face the elements.  As soon as you group up with ANYONE, zombies become irrelevant.  Even with just melee weapons.  As developers have stated, zeds will never be an actual threat.  AI can't out maneuver you.  They're just there to enhance the environment.

If you want the infected to be more challenging, give them firearms to shoot.  Let's not try to make the game harder by thinking through an idea for a minute and a half and then change the entire basis of the game, plztks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Parazight said:

As developers have stated, zeds will never be an actual threat.  AI can't out maneuver you.  They're just there to enhance the environment

I think the quote is more along the lines of "biggest threat". The players will always be the top threat but they don't intend to make infected a non factor.

I want to believe the infected can be made to cause trouble even for a well armed group... But it remains to be seen.

• Like 2

On 04/08/2017 at 9:12 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Let's extrapolate a little:

Beta > new hit boxes > new combat mechanics > new player and AI controller structures on same tech > new animations > stamina > infected destroying barriers > optimizations(?) > increased infected populations(?) > hive mind/infected horde mechanics = profit(?).

Do you have any more info as to upcoming zed features, apart from technical stuff like UI? I've seen the door-smashing animation for 0.63 and I wonder what else they might be cooking.

As for the OP question:

One feature I miss the most now (and it kinda hurts my immersion) is zeds being alerted/attracted by each other's shrieks and/or maybe by the sight of their fallen brethren. You need to make your melee fights quick and maybe even drag the body away. I use the bow these days so I rarely care about the shrieks but there are situations when I run head first into a zed and I believe that half the town should know then.

Some other stuff I was thinking about:

- children; sometimes gangs of children

- different kinds of zeds; bulky guys with higher damage, agile guys climbing walls and smashing windows in (make them children for additional pant-shitting experience), 'screamers' who attract others, etc.

- zeds reacting to light sources (with the gamma exploit fixed, obviously), bright colours, etc.; but it was always my intuitive impression that they should be really scared of fire

- make zeds 'do' various things like feeding on animals/people (either players or spawned just for that), lying prone quietly (sleeping?) or going about other typical zed stuff (fighting over a meal, for instance)

- using ladders is of course the next logical step I wait for

- what about melee weapons? could some zeds 'remember' how to use these?

Everyone has a different vision of how hard the zeds should be, although I believe we can all agree that they should be much harder. My approach is: 'make them hard enough to make teaming up with a random survivor a valid and solid option'. I have no doubt that the current zeds are just placeholders (or 'bugs' if you will) and the end game solution will bring much more for us than the overwhelming feeling of annoyance, not unlike killing mosquitos.

10 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Do you have any more info as to upcoming zed features, apart from technical stuff like UI? I've seen the door-smashing animation for 0.63 and I wonder what else they might be cooking.

Probably just the hive mind/horde mechanics. Large groups of aggro'd infected acting as a single entity.

I've requested child infected but I think it will be adults only just to avoid any possible region blocking the game with a bad rating.

As far as heavy and light infected, they are in already and will likely be tweaked and expanded upon. The infected in the puffy jackets pretty obviously take more damage to kill, as well as military infected. The clothing on the infected will likely effect their durability similarly to ourselves, once they finish incorporating our wardrobe into theirs.

In the mod the infected would eat off of a corpse or KO'd player. I woke once or twice to being eaten and it's super creepy. I hope they do have some stuff specially to prone characters and I personally would like to see them able to grab a player from different angles.

Lastly, I think if we are going to follow accepted lore that it's important to remember the people now think like animals and would not be capable of the abstract thought needed to use a weapon etc. This would be the same reason they bash doors instead of just try the handle....

More 28 Days later style zombies than RE4 Ganados style....

Mods are the answer to all our dreams though, it is important to remember that modders are going to go apeshit with this platform as soon as they get their hands on it. You'll have giant tortoise zombies firing tactical nukes in the middle of Cherno in no time.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 4

On 04/08/2017 at 2:07 PM, IMT said:

The real big bad wolf of DZ, at the moment, is the totally demential melee combat, in my opinion runs better the miniDZ than the standalone one. 

I often imagine the world of DayZ is more similar to The Crazies than Night of the Living Dead.  That is to say, (most of) the other players are the ones who are actually "infected" with a virus that turns them into murderous lunatics.  The NPC "infected" are just later stage where they lose their cognitive abilities and just wander aimlessly like drunken hobos.