Sign in to follow this  
exacomvm

Improve RAW Brightness/Lighting

So today i turned on DayZ Exp after some time and noticed it's very dark at clear sky midday.
Not sure if its my monitor has to do with it, but i highly doubt, im using calibrated IPS monitor.
Also yes i can increase the brightness in the settings, but it does not have that great effect compared to what engine side lighting modification could do.
For example Arma 3 has awesome balance in brightness and contrast, why not copy similiar settings from there?

Here i made some comparison how it should look ( these After pics should be bit brighter, damn adobe colorspace ).

BEFORE
20170803160239_1.jpg
AFTER
20170803160239_1.jpg

BEFORE
20170803160437_1.jpg
AFTER
20170803160437_1.jpg

Edited by exacomvm
  • Like 1

Not sure how cloudy it is defined in the settings to be at that point. The volumetric clouds have weird sky blue color and it is bit hard to tell how cloudy it really is. Your pictures might be from very cloudy conditions even though the sky looks pretty blue.

But you can be right. At least your after pictures look good for a clear day.

I've often thought this. I try not to use the gamma exploit at night (though I usually do, because I'm a shit) but even so I tend to have my gamma and brightness turned up fairly high during the day - sort of 70% ish rather than the default 50%.

The darker image is what I'd expect to see on a super cloudy day - like about to piss it down sort of weather. I seem to recall reading in a status report that they were playing around with lighting configurations, so hopefully this will be addressed. I hope they have more weather as well, and more frequent changes in weather too in accordance with the accelerated time.

Isn't it just darker because of the updated sat texture and grass color changes? I do however agree that Arma 3's (not so recent) lighting update should be applied to DayZ (hopefully soon) but it also sorta suits DayZ for its dark/gritty atmosphere.

But i'd prefer if atmosphere wasn't created by graphics but by the content and interactions players encounter. Like you happen upon a bright and sunny day with lots of colours of nature only for it to be directly contrasted by some satanic hold up that forces you to worship the wiggles.

19 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Not sure how cloudy it is defined in the settings to be at that point. The volumetric clouds have weird sky blue color and it is bit hard to tell how cloudy it really is. Your pictures might be from very cloudy conditions even though the sky looks pretty blue.

But you can be right. At least your after pictures look good for a clear day.

I've set the graphics on Max doing these screens, the sun was like above my head ( ~1-3PM ? ) and it was not overcast, just a bit cloudy. Even if that's like you say, the game is never bright enough on it's Default Gamma/Contrast.
On another hand nights look brilliant and extremely realistic.

Also i have the same "Brightness" issue in Witcher 3, game feels very dark even on the brightest gamma, meanwhile CS:GO for example is bit too bright, but it's fine. Maybe it's just me, not sure cause i've never noticed it before ~half year ago, maybe after long CGI work my perception changed or something :D

Edited by exacomvm