Sign in to follow this  
Spidey (DayZ)

My short (and late) thanks for 0.62 :)

So after getting banned about two times this year (you know, for complaining how slow the development is etc., classic) I felt like this is the time to finally express some gratitude.

I finally had the chance to put in a couple of hours (even if only around 30) in 0.62 and I have to say, the forest redesign is really breathtaking. Until now, I've been all like "damn, they do this when there are hundreds of things to be done that are far more important". But I guess it's only reasonable to say that in order to stay at least a bit competitive on the survival games market, this had to be done. And now, when I log into the game and see all kinds of beautiful colors and such detailed textures and trees and everything - for a moment there I had a feeling I'm playing The Witcher 3. I mean just look at the details of the leaves on the ground!!

And the sounds! Finally some atmosphere! One thing completely breaks it though - as you listen to all the birds singing and stuff going on around you in the forest, you look up and there is not a single living thing, so then it feels incredibly artificial (they could just put random stationary birds on the trees or sth like that, they don't even have to be functional, just an object on the tree that would maybe move it's head in the way trees bend to the wind, to complete the illusion.)

So even though there's still nothing to really do in the game and all the problems I've talked about in the past are still present, furthermore, we are all just blindly waiting for 0.63, thinking it is the Second Coming for DayZ, I gotta admit, oh man, they really did do a good job on this.

Once again I can lie to myself that this is a great game and trick myself into the atmospheric gameplay while trying to not think about the fact that there is no future or meaning of life (in the game, I mean - yknow, what am I gonna do after I get all the stuff?) and just try to survive.

But hey, thanks. Big time.

dayz-photoshopped-dayz-0-62-forests-1.jp

(That's a shopped pic but it really expresses how it feels in game compared to 0.61. Doesn't it?)

PS: Re-reading this post, I can see how negative it sounds. That was not my intention, but it sends the message I wanted to send. All I'm saying is, this re-design is really awesome. Please, keep this good work up. It is a huge contrast when compared to the first years of development, when the biggest thing we got was a new color of backpack or new kind of food.

Edited by Spidey (DayZ)
  • Like 1

"You heard him artists! Start learning C++ so you can work on the big problems with the rest of the team!"

I'm gonna assume you don't read the SR so I'm gonna make this easy to understand: Seeing as it would be a waste of time to fix all the big issues in a engine that is only going to be replaced, the devs are fixing them for the new engine (Beta). So stop crying, they are working on it.

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, OliverPlotTwist said:

"You heard him artists! Start learning C++ so you can work on the big problems with the rest of the team!"

I'm gonna assume you don't read the SR so I'm gonna make this easy to understand: Seeing as it would be a waste of time to fix all the big issues in a engine that is only going to be replaced, the devs are fixing them for the new engine (Beta). So stop crying, they are working on it.

Heyyyy but I'm not crying, this is an honest thank-you post, that's all. Perhaps I might have gone a bit far with the sarcastic tone, but that was not my intention.

I have cried my cries already. Now it's time to enjoy :)