Sign in to follow this  
G18C

Reasons for "Mostly Negative"?

Recently on steam I have seen that DayZ went to mostly negative, it has hit this point before, but honestly I don't think 80% of the negative reviews are legit. Majority of them are trolls saying memes about "Early Access" or something among the lines of lag/desync. I've even seen some that go as far as marking bad reviews for "I gave a guy a gun and he killed me."

I haven't made a review for DayZ myself yet, but if I made one it would be a positive one, listing the pros and cons. Like a review should be. I think Steam should make it where you must clock over 100 hours in a game to review it, or at least something among those lines. 

Seeing people with 5 hours or less on the game mark the game negative because their favourite streamer/Youtuber says the game is bad is terrible.

I can't even avoid these trolls whilst watching my favourite content on YouTube.

I scroll down into the comments and find so much hate for the person that creates the video just for playing DayZ. 

I really do adore the game, and the development team as been at one if it's highest recently.

(Keep up the good work devs, just remember there is no rush, it takes years to make a great game.)

• Like 8

the existence of twitch has made reviews pretty irrelevant.  so does the existence of trolls.

why read someone's opinion with no context when you can go watch someone play and decide for yourself if the game looks fun.

Many people probably just hate the game on purpose even deep inside they know it's a fkn best game ever.
Well from what i've seen on youtube comments, other people opinions etc, it's because DayZ Team blocks ppl on twitter for every single bad opinion, also that they sold like 2million+ copies and didn't managed to finish the game in 4+ years and because overall the progress is very slow.

^ Old, but should explain the situation :D

Edited by exacomvm

6 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

Many people probably just hate the game on purpose even deep inside they know it's a fkn best game ever.
Well from what i've seen on youtube comments, other people opinions etc, it's because DayZ Team blocks ppl on twitter for every single bad opinion, also that they sold like 2million+ copies and didn't managed to finish the game in 4+ years and because overall the progress is very slow.

DayZ has went under several massive changes that affected this 4 year alpha stage. New devs, Rocket, and the new renderer.

As well as I have seen them block people who had "a bad opinion" very rarely. The only people I have seen forum banned or blocked are obvious trolls that haven't touched the game in years and want to spread "lies" about the game's current state.

This is a prime example of my point. Youtubers like this spread lies about DayZ, even going as far to show VERY early footage of DayZ, yet they show new footage of PUBG and try to compare the two.

• Like 2

Usual story of complainers being heard the most because they tend to post,troll,compare - I love the game but never made any review of it, im guessing most who do like the game dont post reviews

Overall I notice most people need a reason as to "why" they are no longer playing a game they like, as if its some sort of relationship they are in and either create reasons as to why they no longer play or spout reasons based on gameplay which they were happily accepting during their "honeymoon" phase, when the reality is they simply need to take a break and maybe its forever but I have yet to play a game that hasnt become new again when I start playing it down the road

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tiadashi said:

Usual story of complainers being heard the most because they tend to post,troll,compare - I love the game but never made any review of it, im guessing most who do like the game dont post reviews

Overall I notice most people need a reason as to "why" they are no longer playing a game they like, as if its some sort of relationship they are in and either create reasons as to why they no longer play or spout reasons based on gameplay which they were happily accepting during their "honeymoon" phase, when the reality is they simply need to take a break and maybe its forever but I have yet to play a game that hasnt become new again when I start playing it down the road

It's called "Emotional Blackmail": - "if you don't give me what I want then i'm going to punish you!"

8 hours ago, Ze-Krush said:

This is a prime example of my point. Youtubers like this spread lies about DayZ, even going as far to show VERY early footage of DayZ, yet they show new footage of PUBG and try to compare the two.

Never heard about this youtuber lmao, he plays PUBG and says DayZ is bad, that's just retarded.

10 hours ago, Ze-Krush said:

They are not lies, it is opinions and questions. A open discussion how people feel. I am still here hoping dayz turns out to be the best game in the world. I still have a similar view how these guys feel but Battle royal games are not the same genre.

Since i have well over 2000 hrs in 2 games, i tested, i submitted bugs but at the end of the day i still feel the same way, will it ever get Basebuilding, will the infected ever be done right, will these bugs we had since the start be fixed. will exploits and cheats be looked at.

The mistake they don't know, Dean was always working for BI. They think he is a guy that was sitting at his computer developing a mod, as a modder and not a programmer.

Concept made into a standalone is a huge project, what dayz is doing is HUGE!!! a engine to run the game is a big concept.

If you have ever worked with arma 3, coding, arma 2 coding and scripting you would know that it is very in depth.

But battlegrounds is not a fair comparison. A completely flagship new engine is a huge undertaking. Battlegrounds was made with unity? already done....

Maybe we should do a Dayz=end of days 64miles sq unity project to gain more sales. Boring, i want to mod BI games.

The negativity is because of the dependably ignorant and vitriolic nature of the public in general.  People want exactly what they think things should be, at the instant they decide to want it, and anyone who isn't helping them get it is the enemy.

You could give away free hot dogs on the street, and people would undoubtedly complain that there is no mustard.

People will buy into a timeshare, and show up unannounced, furious that someone is in THEIR condo when they decided they want to use it.

A taxpaying voter will go to a City Council meeting and talk out of turn, yelling obscenities and calling the mayor a thief, and cry tyranny for being removed; after being told the issue was only caused by his own misunderstanding of a County Zoning Ordinance.

Players will buy an Early Access game, and click the "I understand" button a hundred times before finding something they really dislike; then go on the internet and shit all over every website with DayZ in the results of their google search.

People are stupid, people are impatient, people are needy, people are cruel, and people are emboldened by the anonymity and impersonal nature of communication on the internet.

People, especially Americans, are quick to issue their judgments of every perceived slight of others' doing.  Don't believe me?  Just go read the comments on any news story about a tragedy involving a child.  People from all over the world will flock to tell us all just how terrible those parents were, what exactly they should have done differently, and what terrible things should now be done to them in repayment for their recent tragic loss.  It makes people feel good to "righteously" attack those who have done wrong, especially in the form of a good ol' bandwagon angry mob.
The internet hate train is our fastest growing national pastime.

Review-bombing a video game with a protracted development schedule is low on the list of shitty things people do over the internet; both in terms of importance, and impact.
       Maybe after things are more finished, many of them will have the courage to come back and say "I was wrong."

Edited by emuthreat
form factor
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Maybe after things are more finished, many of them will have the courage to come back and say "I was wrong."

Do you think that many will say that? or will they say they were on board all the time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Never heard about this youtuber lmao, he plays PUBG and says DayZ is bad, that's just retarded.

When I first watched the video and left my comment  

"You can't even compare PUBG and DayZ though, two completely different games and that is why DayZ has mainly bad reviews. Most Triple A games take years to develop. DayZ is giving us a good experience for both the dev's and the players using "Early Access". The only reasons people complain about DayZ are normally. -Lag -"Glitches" that ties into lag mainly -Updates -Alpha -Community I honestly can't stand seeing bad reviews on DayZ because of community, "I gave a guy a gun and he killed me". I honestly can't stand seeing bad reviews on DayZ about Alpha, developers of games can decide any time when to say their game is finished/beta/alpha. For example (Grand Theft Auto V still gets monthly updates, does that mean that it is finished, or still in progress) I can agree they don't update it as frequently as they should but when they do, the updates are normally huge. PUBG has had the same formula for years since H1Z1 and the ArmA mod. Pretty Good Gaming compares PUBG and DayZ a little bit too much. They use it as a crutch for BG compared to DayZ I argue these points with a lot of people and it all cuts down to if you like DayZ or you don't. I've been playing DayZ for years and I am patient for it to grow as a game. Most people haven't played DayZ recently (The footage they showed in this video was from release in 2012/13). The game has had major changes since then. Majority of people I tell to sincerely play DayZ with a good thought of mind (People who trash it and haven't played it in years) are normally surprised of where it is currently. It still does have plenty of bugs and problems but, don't all games."

The only replies I got are saying "Completely different, how?"

The video had 10k views when I watched it 3 days after it came out but, the fame he got because of that video is horrid. Most of the top comments are calling him out for lying about the game in the video. Jakon's comment describes the video the best.

"It's so hard to listen to these idiots compare DayZ and PUBG. They're different, that means you cannot compare them gameplay wise. I've been playing DayZ since the first week when it released on Steam, I've built a successful YouTube and Twitch channel off of the game. What I can tell you is these people don't have a clue what they're on about. I've read every status report and the furthest thing from the truth that you could say about the dev team is that they have no idea what they want to do. This idiot is spreading false information for views because it's easy. Go back to 1000mph fidget spinner videos, they're easier and you don't have to lie to your audience."

All of the people that reply to his comment are calling him a "dicksucker" or a "fanboy" of DayZ.

• Like 1

Wait, the PlayerUnknown made PUBG mod in Arma 3 first right ? And then decided to make his own game, basically copying Arma 3 as much as he can.
Viewing from another perspective PUBG is actually Arma/DayZ "wannabe" the gamemode is different, but that's it, remove the circle add respawn button and you will have shitty version of DayZ w/o zombies pretty much like WarZ if someone still remembers that game ( well they plan to add zombies ), now add that circle in DayZ SA and h1z1/pubg will get destroyed instantly, actually devs could make free to play Battle Royale w/ microtransactions using DayZ files and engine, should not be too hard, just like removing animals, removing health status, resize the map, adding salines so u can fill blood to urself and thats it would be the only battle royale game i would play and everyone would see who's the king in making games like this.

Edited by exacomvm

Never read the comments on a youtube video you like or reviews on a game for that matter. 

I am sorry, but you CANcompare both PUBG and Dayz,

Both were early mods

that went on to become standalone games, ones turned out extremely successful (Probably to do with them going about it the right way) and the other has turned into an annoying meme   

Let's face it. We all know in the bottom of our heart that arguments on the internet never settles. 

If you are playing DayZ right now and enjoying it, no amount of negative reviews in Steam, YouTube or Twitch should make you enjoy less of it. If, somehow, others' negative comments are affecting one's gameplay experience in any way, perhaps one should care less about what strangers on the internet thinks and just enjoy the game one loves.

When a game comes out, people who choose to buy it have expectations. Not all expectations are realistic though, for example, expecting an early access game to be completely "bug free" (even finished games have bugs). Those whose expectations align with the game's current state stays, while the others leave or refund. 

Are all negative reviews unjustified though? I think not. DayZ has been out for more than 3 and a half years. 3 and a half years is a long period of time. One can go from entering college to preparing to graduate within 3 and a half years. Has DayZ grown in this time? Certainly yes. But is the growth enough? It depends on who you ask. There are players who love this game as much as you and I do, but still decide to quit and leave a "negative review", simply because they have been waiting too long, and they don't see what they have expected. I respect their decision, and I don't think they are "stupid", "impatient", "judgemental scums". Things happen, and life goes on. DayZ is in its early access, which means we players are all participating in the development process. If one thinks he can't see the future of the game, and decides to leave a negative comment, just let them go.

For those who compare PUBG and DayZ, that's completely fine. You spend money to buy a game, and (suprisingly) to a lot of people, 30 bucks is quite a lot to spend on a game. If you have to choose between two games, you would and should compare them both. DayZ has it's strengths and weaknesses, so does PUBG. People have many reasons to justifying supporting their favourite game. Of course there are lots of baised comparisons on the internet. That's just how things are. And one can't change that, no matter how hard one try.

Afterall, we shouldn't be worried about the number of "negative reviews" DayZ has. If you're worried that these reviews will negatively impact the game in any way, you shouldn't. That's the developers' job, to imporve the game's public image,whatsoever. What we should be working on is to help improve the game, by sending in bug reports, suggestions, and support, to the developers. That's our part in this early access development process. And, adding fuel to the never ending flamming arguments on the internet is not part of that.

Happy surviving!

• Like 2

On 7/31/2017 at 7:41 PM, Ze-Krush said:

What lies?  I watched it and everything they said was true.  It has been quite a while from the first Alpha.  Beta is nowhere on the horizon.  That last Dev post (July-ish 2017) said something about going back to the drawing board again for Gamecon.  :(

The only possible issue with that video is that DayZ and PUBG are not competing for the same game genre, so they probably should not compare them to each other.  DayZ is a survival simulator for a Zombie Post Apocalyptic World (ZPAW) where PUBG is a Battle-royal game.  Two completely different game-play styles.  Battle-royal games start fast and build speed until the climax.  ZPAW Survival Simulators are slower paced, but with the threat that at any moment you could be thrown into a battle...like pilots on a Combat Air Patrol.

If DayZ wants to survive, it should focus on what it is...a ZPAW game.  It has most of the PAW stuff down like eating, drinking, temperature, and disease.  Double down on the Zombies.  The Zs need to be a threat like the other players.  Right now, most streamers just wade into the Zs and overcome them as easily as jumping a fence.  This is where I believe the negativity comes from these days.  I hear them say "hold on, I have a few Zombies" with the same attitude as they say "hold on, I have to tie my shoes".  That needs to change.  Add more Zs.  Have some just waiting behind a door inside.  Have a swarm of them.  Maybe Zs have a chance to pin you to the ground, grab your weapon, or make you drop your weapon?  Make them a real threat.  Make the streamers shout "oh $&%*, a zombie is on me!".

Negative reviews are the direct byproduct of ignorance and impatience.

There will still be plenty of people who have never heard of DayZ when 1.0 and console versions drop and the popularity is almost sure to surge once again.

Vanilla DayZ is as much a long haul perma death process as following it's development and mostly people haven't the belly for it.

The constant revolving door of burnt out and melted down players that I've seen here is seemingly never ending.

And few of them even ever realize they were testing anything really at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ree' said:

I am sorry, but you CANcompare both PUBG and Dayz,

Both were early mods

that went on to become standalone games, ones turned out extremely successful (Probably to do with them going about it the right way) and the other has turned into an annoying meme   

Okay, they were both mods for ArmA 2, actually DayZ Battle Royale was a mod for DayZ. That is the only thing you can compare about them.

PUBG = Unreal engine - premade plug and play engine with way more than a few years of iterations, improvements, and optimizations.

DayZ SA = Enfusion engine - brand new engine and script being built and written from the bottom up. Made especially to handle the specific tasks that DayZ SA requires.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

I feel like a lot of negative reviews might be due to a failure to have a proper vision for what DayZ should be and how to define and  market to its target audience.  I "grew up" on the Mod and Rocket's original vision.  So I kind of expect to spend long hours scavenging for supplies, gearing up, hiding from swarms of zombies, PvPing CoD style in a few known hot spots and occasionally running into packs of overpowered gangs of psychotic players at random. 

But for various reasons, I feel like the game isn't quite "there" yet.  There are hints of where it could be.  Like getting corned in a house by a pack of wolves or teaming up with a gang of new spawn strangers in Cherno to hunt some ghillie-suited sniper whose been harassing us.  But then there are long stretches of wandering around, not seeing zombies, not really needing to do much to survive.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bfisher said:

I feel like a lot of negative reviews might be due to a failure to have a proper vision for what DayZ should be and how to define and  market to its target audience.  I "grew up" on the Mod and Rocket's original vision.  So I kind of expect to spend long hours scavenging for supplies, gearing up, hiding from swarms of zombies, PvPing CoD style in a few known hot spots and occasionally running into packs of overpowered gangs of psychotic players at random. 

But for various reasons, I feel like the game isn't quite "there" yet.  There are hints of where it could be.  Like getting corned in a house by a pack of wolves or teaming up with a gang of new spawn strangers in Cherno to hunt some ghillie-suited sniper whose been harassing us.  But then there are long stretches of wandering around, not seeing zombies, not really needing to do much to survive.

i feel the same

I have not played PUBG and won't.  I've liked Dayz from the moment I accepted that it was alpha and still after ~1400 hours later.  But with that said, I believe the game has been in Alpha too long and that being in "Alpha" is now, and has been, used as a canned response to every player who has a complaint.  I know the devs have changed the engine (a few times?) and are always working, but I really hate to admit that I believe the novelty of Dayz has worn off and that many players have left because of bugs that never seem to be fixed, or vehicles that really don't function right.  I still enjoy playing the game, but I just don't think I'll be in to it as much once, if ever, it's released as a stable (non alpha/bata) version.  

just my 0.2 cents worth

• Like 1