kopo79

gameplay over realism or other way around?

what is more important to you?gameplay or realism?
there is few things in game what could be better to have for gameplay aspect but its not realistic...examble
appletrees should grow only in southern coast.its not realistic but players would visit sometimes in coast.
also,its not realistic that when opening can of food with axe,you lose 80% of food.
in real life i would not hit with maximum power to the can but just a little to have hole in can.
but its better in gamplay aspect to have that you need can opener.

A mix of both maybe.. There's been really challenging past iterations and some that were just too easy in my mind.. some preferred the former while others preferred the latter. The devs will have to balance both sides somehow until modding starts up I'm guessing.

I've got a feeling that the final state of the vanilla standalone will be very harsh and simply surviving will be an achievement in itself, to really achieve anything more than that will probably require a group effort perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.

I wish dying would be more realistic and not an instant blackscreen once you're done doing the (current) death animation, I like the way gettin shot in Red Orchestra works

Mainly to make stuff look cooler, doesn't have too much to do with how the game plays

Edited by Pyongo Bongo
  • Like 2

For me it's like Hell said, a mix of both. You can make the game very realistic but in some area's it will be no fun and in some area's it would be too easy. I like realism but realism can ruin a game as well.

6 hours ago, kopo79 said:

what is more important to you?gameplay or realism?
there is few things in game what could be better to have for gameplay aspect but its not realistic...examble
appletrees should grow only in southern coast.its not realistic but players would visit sometimes in coast.
also,its not realistic that when opening can of food with axe,you lose 80% of food.
in real life i would not hit with maximum power to the can but just a little to have hole in can.
but its better in gamplay aspect to have that you need can opener.

Have you ever opened a can with an axe? I haven't but I can see the problem with opening one with an axe. A little hole isn't going to cut it either. Are you only going to drink the juice or sauce and not the food itself?

39 minutes ago, Pyongo Bongo said:

I wish dying would be more realistic and not an instant blackscreen once you're done doing the (current) death animation

Mainly to make stuff look cooler

Wait, you can actually answer the question "what happens if you die"? Enlighten me because no one knows the answer to that question. As far as I know, it's the same as it is in DayZ, the lights go out. So I would like to know how they can make it more realistic?

Gameplay should always trump realism, but the gameplay should strive to be as realistic as possible. For all the talk of DayZ being this hard-as-nails survival anti-game, it is still a game, and games should be fun.

Also, yes, RO-style death/KO would be nice. You should fall to the ground and bleed out over the course of a few seconds -all while it fades to black. If you get shot or hit in the head, the blackout should be instant. 

13 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

Gameplay should always trump realism, but the gameplay should strive to be as realistic as possible. For all the talk of DayZ being this hard-as-nails survival anti-game, it is still a game, and games should be fun.

Also, yes, RO-style death/KO would be nice. You should fall to the ground and bleed out over the course of a few seconds -all while it fades to black. If you get shot or hit in the head, the blackout should be instant. 

The question is, is it realistic? I know there are things coming like limping animations and such but I don't know if bleeding out on the ground is so realistic. If you lose a lot of blood, you're going to be unconscious in DayZ as well as in real life. I think it's pretty realistic as it is right now.

Edited by IMT

19 minutes ago, IMT said:

The question is, is it realistic? I know there are things coming like limping animations and such but I don't know if bleeding out on the ground is so realistic. If you lose a lot of blood, you're going to be unconscious in DayZ as well as in real life. I think it's pretty realistic as it is right now.

Well, yes, but you won't go unconscious the second the bullet hits, will you? I'm sure you will in some circumstances, but it seems more realistic that you should fall to the ground and then go unconscious, not the other way around. Hence why I said that being hit in the head should knock you out immediately, rather than having a brief bleed-out period before death or unconsciousness. 

5 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

Well, yes, but you won't go unconscious the second the bullet hits, will you? I'm sure you will in some circumstances, but it seems more realistic that you should fall to the ground and then go unconscious, not the other way around. Hence why I said that being hit in the head should knock you out immediately, rather than having a brief bleed-out period before death or unconsciousness. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock_(firearms)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory)

Where do you draw the line? Should you have to wait months to harvest crops?

4 minutes ago, IMT said:

Yes. You're quite right. However, instant loss of consciousness isn't going to happen in 100% of cases, is it? Being fatally stabbed doesn't cause instant loss of consciousness. I saw a video of a policeman shooting some poor fucker in his car, and he was still conscious with a chest full of lead. I'm not saying that instant loss of consciousness is impossible, I'm saying that it shouldn't happen all the time, whenever you cross some arbitrary blood level threshold.

To a few above poster about death screen. I too think death could be done differently. I think a headshot or fatal T shot should mean instant black screen or if you're killed with explosives depending on range, but other wounds that are killing blows like a gut shot or hit in the lung or chest area the screen should fade out to red then black gives lot more weight to the situation IMO possible agony sounds aswell would be nice. Another aspect of that is while the toon would make sounds and not be dead yet it would make for interesting scenarios maybe if a highly trained medic meaning if an when we get medical skills in they could hear the person and possibly help them or give them the final blow. Would also help in firefights against groups you could aim to paralyze or incapacitate which would then cause the group to have to take care of the individual right now it's try and break a leg and that doesn't do shit really the asshole still shoots, there should be more shock damage and more incapacitation especially for bigger rounds like the 7.62 and the 308. Again death should be brutal and depending on how you die and how slow should be part of the experience and of course i'll extend an olive branch to those who are just in it for the respawn deathmatch you can click respawn and die instantly. But for us that want it brutal and hell on earth it's not good enough with a simple black screen. I want those moments like in the films and stories where you get shot in the back and as your life fades you see the attacker then he pulls the trigger BLAM black screen, stuff like that would make backstabs and the like more brutal and it would have more impact IMO.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

Realistic as in real life? when you got killed then they would delete the game from your pc and you would have it buy the game again in order to play it again , that would make the game  more realistic.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
  • Like 2

To IMT....i think you can open can of beans with axe not one spill of beans on ground....you can always in real life use same protection beneath the can if some spill over.i have one can of beans and also i have axe.have to test it?...but in gameplay aspect its better for the game that can opener should used opem cans....

Well it's a game based on real life so, a mix is fine. The one thing I think they should add is a method of opening cans against a flat rock or concrete. If you slide the can (top or bottom) back and forth against one of these surfaces, the lid will pop right off within a minute or two. Maybe 2% wasted, unless you're clumsy.

I would favour realism over gameplay.

The number one realism aspect they need to work on is the value of ur life when starting a new character.

Realism is certainly favorable, especially in survival games. I'd even say survival games should be based around realism, for my preference. But I think sometimes realism has to be sacrifised, more or less, to enable an enjoyable gameplay. So a mix of both is fine.

Here are some of Dean's thoughts on this topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/DayZ/wiki/roauthvsreal

The goal AFAIK has been to find a balance between the 2, which is quite obvious. It has to be a fun game, and there's no way currently to make a game completely realistic. For example, you'd need to be able to strip a gun or car down to every single part, and that would create an unfathomable amount of items for the server to handle. It's just not possible. 

Every conceivable mechanic within the game has it's own unique balance between realism and fun gameplay. Of course in DayZ the scale will tip further towards realism than in most games.

An example of something that should be weighted further towards realism is ballistics. Ricochets, bullet drop, acceleration, deceleration, etc are all realistic bullet mechanics and they add to the fun of the game as well. So that's something they can really go as realistic as possible on without much detriment.

On the other hand, and issue like hunger should be more balanced. Finding food should be an important part of the game loop. If you could kill a deer, smoke the meat and bury it, you'd have no need to scavenge for food for weeks. Which maybe sounds appealing to some people, but I find it hard to imagine that would really add to the fun of the game. 

Another example of something that should lean more heavily towards fun is movement. If you've been running for hours with 50 lbs of gear on, and you're hungry and dehydrated, you'd have to drop all of your gear and would become very weak and exhausted. You'd have to eat and rest for hours to recover in some cases. Nobody wants to do that. But having some exhaustion effects and limiting travel can be implemented, having some realistic features that sort of symbolize what exhaustion might be like without actually making you rest for hours. 

Again, every single mechanic requires it's own balance between the 2. Some people prefer the slider to be closer to one over the other.

Overall I think the team has done a great job finding that balance. Personally, I want a more hardcore survival game where cooking a meal over a fire in a building out of the harsh elements is rewarding, and where food isn't something trivial, but an important and valuable resource. But I understand that not everyone wants this. This is where modding comes in. With modding, everyone theoretically can play their preferred playstyle. The only issue with this is finding a populated server that has all of the specific features that you prefer. It's too early to say, but there might not be enough people to fill a server with hardcore survival mechanics. I know many of us exist, but if there's only 1 or 2 servers then many people will not have a good connection to that server. Too early to say for sure, but i'm excited for all of the possibilities.

Like most other people, I agree with the balance between these two.

While it is both fun and realistic to have all the stuff like bullet drops, hunger, thirst, scavenging, all that, it wouldn't be that much fun to actually have to sleep in the game. Which is one instance where gameplay > realism, because obviously, it would be quite boring to just look at a black screen for 6 hours because that's how much your character needs to sleep in order to be "fully rested".

So once again, a good blend of the two is great. Sleep is a no-no in multiplayer games, but stamina still should play a big part of the gameplay. And for balance purposes, it would be regenerated rather slowly (but still MUCH faster than in real life) by, let's say, laying down or sitting.

I think that somekind of sleeping/resting should be introduced what affects your stamina....stamina should not be yber realistic..

But player who rest/sleep,eat different foods should benefit in more stamina than who eat just chickens and keeps hiking all the time.

What about one suggestion what i have readed on forums...in north , it could be little snow and very cold?its not realism but in gameplay wise...interesting?