Greasy Blackman

Recommendations For A PC

I need recommendations for a pc that can run Dayz Standalone. I'm on a 1500$ budget. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

With that amount, you'll be fine with anything over the 1K amount for generally High graphics.

I play on a Gaming Laptop, but others like Desk Tops. 

I'd shoot for 8-12G RAM at least

Decent Graphics Card - Nvidia usually won't let you down.

I5 - I7, I'd shoot for processor.

Basic stuff, but hope it helps.

do you want to build it yourself? (what i'd recommend to everyone that can safely operate a screwdriver)

where do you even live (so locals can post links from shops)

the prices i post are based on german stores, and the dollar ones are estimated, i don't really know how many USD you get for an € (and i don't want to google it :) )

do you have a monitor?

have you got any parts left?

like PSU, HDD/SSD, Tower etc.

if not get a 500W+ PSU to have some reserves (and better efficiency at full system load) (a very good one (80 PLUS Titanium) ca 140€/180$, a good one ca. 75€/100$)

and as HDD/SSD get an SSD with at least 200GB (better more) (ca. 100€/140$ or even less) and an HDD with 3TB (ca. 90€/130$) you don't want a system without a SSD, trust me.

Good towers are avalible for less then 100€/100$ it realy depends on what you want.

for the main parts:

currently, i'd recommend an AMD Ryzen CPU (like R5 1600X) (ca. 230€/300$) with a decent mainboard (ca. 80€/100$) and 8-16 GB RAM (ca 80€/100$ per 8GB) (see the QVL of the mainboard you choose, so that it's 100% compatible). you might want to use a custom cooler, they should be around 20€/30$

Ryzen CPUs have more cores (including SMT) and that will probably turn out very useful in the future. if you want Intel, get an Core i5.

if you have money left, think about getting a better CPU, as it will most likely stick with you much longer than the GPU. a better MB and higher RAM clock should also help.

for the GPU: currently the prices for most current gen GPUs are very high, because the Ethereum miners are buying them like crazy. so i think depending on your needs a Nvidia GTX 1070 (450€/600$) or an AMD RX 580 8GB (ca. 300€/450$). the Nvidia is faster but also more expensive. if you would like to go for a high end system there is no way around Nvidia at the moment, but i don't see the need for it if you stick to full HD. AMD release some good GPUs in the coming days, but i can't really tell how good they will be and for what price.

For a budget of $1500 you can go for a pretty high end build for your PC. But again, it depends on what hardware you already have in hand, and what new hardware you'll need (say, a new monitor if you're using a laptop now). 

In general, you would like to get the best processors you can afford in your budget and build around them. That is, the choice for your CPU and GPU. The DayZ engine seems to be CPU intensive, so don't cheap out on your CPU (like I did, unfortunately). AMD's Ryzen CPU lineup looks promising with good price-to-performance ratio. And make sure you check for compatibility between hardware when shopping for parts (most importantly your motherboard and power supply unit). HaseDesTodes's recommendation above is very detailed, you can follow his advice. But it would be much better if you could tell us what hardware you already have in hand, as many PC builds start with reusing old hardware.

And to check for prices, I use https://pcpartpicker.com/ when building new systems, as they give an organized overview of prices. But it only works in a list of countries, so hope it works for you.

147$ OFF, but probs you can find some parts cheaper, also choose case on ur own, just make sure it will have good airflow and parts will fit.
In case switch to GTX 1070 and invest more on case/cooling. Otherwise you can pick Ryzen 5 CPU instead of this one and u should fit into ur budget, should not make much difference in gaming, but not sure about DayZ.
Don't go for Intel CPU, nowadays Intel is crap.

a1e655202e4d15569d1e430ffb7f2f98.png

Edited by exacomvm

17 hours ago, exacomvm said:

147$ OFF, but probs you can find some parts cheaper, also choose case on ur own, just make sure it will have good airflow and parts will fit.
In case switch to GTX 1070 and invest more on case/cooling. Otherwise you can pick Ryzen 5 CPU instead of this one and u should fit into ur budget, should not make much difference in gaming, but not sure about DayZ.
Don't go for Intel CPU, nowadays Intel is crap.

a1e655202e4d15569d1e430ffb7f2f98.png

False. Tons of people use and still buy Intel because its still the best. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

Yes, this. For applications with poor multi-threading support (i.e. - most games), Intel is still best. Is there an argument to be made for Ryzen? Hell yes. AMD has finally become competitive, especially since more and more multi-platform games necessarily have to have better multi-threading for the consoles. However, I haven't seen much anecdotal evidence or ANY benchmarks regarding DayZ and Ryzen. If I'm dropping $1500 on a PC with DayZ specifically at the forefront of my mind, I'm gonna go for known quantities and proven hardware for this game.

1500 $ should buy you a pretty good machine. Personally I would go for a NVidia card, most games seem to be optimized for them rather than AMD.

Although CPU and GPU are at the core of your performance don't cheap out on your motherboard. CPU cooling and a good "high airflow" case with 200 mm fans will keep it all cool.

Of course you should also run your OS from a SSD as well as demanding games like DAYZ SA. Use a HDD for storage.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, Girth Brooks said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ryzen just dominated Intel especially in calculation tasks, Intel costs like twice for twice less performance in calculation tasks e.g. Rendering. For gaming comparison Watch this

Some more bench:
Ryzen 5 1600 - $ 209 ( 3D Rendering @ 3.2Ghz - 1150 Score )
Intel i7-7700K - $ 308 ( 3D Rendering @ 5.0Ghz - 1047 Score )
Now lets take equal price CPU: 
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - $ 290
3D Rendering @ 4.9Ghz - 2030 Score.

For more comparison my i5-2320 hits around 399score, these scores are based on Cinebench R15.
If you don't know how these scores translate into real world, basically R7 1700 is around 2x faster for editing tasks than i7-7700K, but for gaming its pretty much same, Ryzen seems to perform better in newer games, also considering that almost every 4th gamer also edits videos ryzen is currently clearly a winner. But yea Intel has more powerful CPU's such as Xeons, i9, but thats another topic, they cost over $1000.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ryzen just dominated Intel especially in calculation tasks, Intel costs like twice for twice less performance in calculation tasks e.g. Rendering. For gaming comparison Watch this

for most games (no secondary threads, no editing etc.) intel still has the faster CPUs. partially because of better optimizations, partially because of higher clocks, and maybe even because of a better architecture.

still i'd recommend Ryzens over Core Ix, because you get more multi thread performance for the same (and even less) money, while the singe thread performance isn't far behind. and since we can assume, that in the future most games have a good multicore/multithread support (so better performance with more cores) i value more cores to be a great advantage.

Nevertheless, certain Intel CPUs are still better than any AMD CPU for most games, so it's no mistake to say, that Intel CPUs are better for gaming.

but as long as one isn't buying a PC/CPU for the next two years, but rather the next 5 years or longer, i'd go for Ryzens.

• Like 2

AMD's ZEN architecture is solid. I suspect we will see improvements as it matures and as drivers and software gets some Zen optimization. As far as price/performance you cannot go wrong with Zen(Ryzen and Threadripper) but for now stick with Nvidia for graphics. Although that will change within a year or so. I bet a lot of money on that.

I started betting on AMD in 2012 after Jim Keller went back to design Zen. From 2 to 14. 

All and all this competition between AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA is very good for us the consumer.  And now with AMD finally back... it's getting better!