Sign in to follow this  
t3h_kgb

Nightshade

It's native to Eastern Europe (where Chernarus is supposed to be), and poisonous as hell; one leaf, a few milligrams of root, or a handful (8-10) of berries will kill an adult human inside a few hours... Further, without proper identification knowledge, you're really not supposed to eat berries in a survival situation, as they could turn out to be very highly poisonous; same with mushrooms (though also because mushrooms provide little to no actual nutritional value).... Also, it has been used since antiquity for medicinal and assassination purposes, from making poison-tipped arrows to making laced wines; it's so totally a craftable item, even better if there's a slight chance of "you made a mistake while applying the poison and now feel ill"... :D

It would be really nifty, I think, to add nightshade or other poisonous plants. We already have two types of edible berries and even edible fruit-producing trees... In fact, the first time I found the black/blue/whatever berries, I was very reluctant to feed them to my character, as I wasn't sure if it was something like nightshade or not...

The in-game model should be a similar berry bush model that reaches up to six feet and spreads as far as it can drop berries, with green leaves, little purple cup-like flowers, and black berries... I can provide pictures of my own A. belladonna plant, if you need reference... :D

And speaking of wild plant life, when is that rhubarb model going to be harvestable? :D (You can't fool me, I so totally saw rhubarb plants somewhere north of the Vybor air field a while back)... Also, when are you going to add strawberries and sugar cane/beets, so's we can make our own Strawberry Rhubarb wine in-game, and then add bees so we can make strawberry rhubarb mead! :D

And then, with the addition of nightshade to the cooking pot (gotta mix and heat your initial mash/wort/brine/whatever you call it, before sticking in the yeast and fermenting your wine), crafting poison wines for to assassinate unsuspecting players with...

Edited by t3h_kgb
  • Like 1

Wait, weren't you just on this forum recently just ripping into the dev team for incompetence and swearing you wouldn't play this game even after it was done and now you're here trying to offer suggestions?

-_-

Unfucking believeable.

TXZydWgm.jpg

Yep, I sure was... The tab was still open, and after a bit of surfing, I figured I'd stick a suggestion up. Why not?

18 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

Why not?

Because you said YOU WERE LEAVING and never coming back.

You melted down like a child ridiculing the devs and people like me who are actually dedicated.

After everything you said you didn't have the guts to stand behind your own statements which makes you an idiotic hypocrite.

Like I said, if they give early access customers free access to 1.0, I might pop in and check it out a bit, but it's highly unlikely to happen that way...

"Might pop in".... jackass.

• Like 1

I never said I was going to stop suggesting.... Further, I said that if they offered a refund I'd be gone... I don't believe I said I was "leaving and never coming back". I did say that if I had to repurchase the game at 1.0 that I definitely wouldn't, however, and when I was corrected in that the early access = your legit 1.0 access, when that ever comes, I acknowledged it. If you want to complain about that thread, I suggest you do so in that thread...

Go cry elsewhere...

Edited by t3h_kgb

On 27/07/2017 at 2:06 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Wait, weren't you just on this forum recently just ripping into the dev team for incompetence and swearing you wouldn't play this game even after it was done and now you're here trying to offer suggestions?

I don't know. Reading through his comments he's clearly ignorant, but I don't take much issue with what he's saying. He bought the game, decided he didn't like it and found he couldn't refund it. I think he's well within his rights to suggest improvements to a game that is now stuck in his Steam library. I would say to him, though, that it's important to understand the topic before you start complaining. You don't buy into an early access game that says, in all caps, "THIS GAME IS INCOMPLETE, DO NOT BUY IT IF THAT IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM," and then say you have a problem because the game is incomplete. I guess that's for the other thread, though.

Anyway, nightshade. I could get behind that. Poison-tipped arrows is a neat idea, though without knowing anything about the subject I don't know if that's in any way realistic. Assuming it is realistic, however, I'd like to see it. It shouldn't be totally lethal, but it should make whatever you hit pretty unwell after a few minutes. Poisoning melee weapons would be good too but, again, only if it's something that you could actually do with nightshade.

As for the other fruits and veg - this comes up a lot and I'm of two minds. On one hand, yes, if you're starving you should be able to eat pretty much whatever. On the other hand, that would result in an overabundance of food, which wouldn't make for a very challenging survival game.

3 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

As for the other fruits and veg - this comes up a lot and I'm of two minds. On one hand, yes, if you're starving you should be able to eat pretty much whatever. On the other hand, that would result in an overabundance of food, which wouldn't make for a very challenging survival game.

Not necessarily true.  Maybe be able to eat whatever but majority of the food could not be that healthy for you to ingest, leading to complications later which would make it a challenging survival game.  Lots of food but if you don't find ways to cure, cook, preserve etc, things could spoil, assuming those type  mechanics get brought into the game

Edited by Guy Smiley

16 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

-snip-

Go cry elsewhere...

You're talking to yourself now, cute.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Like I said, if they give early access customers free access to 1.0, I might pop in and check it out a bit, but it's highly unlikely to happen that way...

This implies that you were leaving.

Like all the other ignorant whiners before you.

Countless thousands who burn out on the process before they even knew what it was.

You will be haunted by your ignorance, baby boy.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:51 PM, BeefBacon said:

Anyway, nightshade. I could get behind that. Poison-tipped arrows is a neat idea, though without knowing anything about the subject I don't know if that's in any way realistic. Assuming it is realistic, however, I'd like to see it. It shouldn't be totally lethal, but it should make whatever you hit pretty unwell after a few minutes. Poisoning melee weapons would be good too but, again, only if it's something that you could actually do with nightshade.

As for realism, I'd suspect a modern broadhead similar to the style seen in-game (with the skeletonized cavity in the head) could hold a whole LOT of concentrated belladonna poison! Further, nightshade has indeed been used since its discovery well into the BC times for poisoned weaponry for both hunting and assassination, so the sharpened wooden arrow and stone arrowhead can also be poisoned, along with crossbow bolts, etc...

It would be a very interesting way to kill a player character... After a player gets hit with a poisoned arrow, they would run off and bandage themselves (granted you are stealthy enough to not get spotted and killed in the process, etc), but after a few minutes, the game would start with kaleidoscope colors on the edges of your screen, your vision would blur, vomiting, "I am feeling very sick" coming up in red letters, auditory and visual hallucinations (delirium, flashes of reality that aren't real, not like cartoon characters sitting on your shoulders) could be a thing, then you'd black out and die. It could be sped up to say 10-ish minutes after a successful shot (as opposed to real life, where it would take a hot minute depending on the dose), requiring the PK to track down his prey...

OR! It could just be a double/triple-damage modifier to in-game arrows, to keep it simple. :D

Or, if you eat the "suspect berries", as they could be named (to give newbies and poison seekers a heads-up, maybe), the same effects as above would occur... And depending on how many handfuls you eat, it could result in death inside of a minute; Eat a handful and your vision starts getting blurry but you can survive if you wait say a half-hour in-game (because nobody wants to have their character unplayable for up to a week, as is sometimes the case in real life belladonna poisonings), eat a second handful and you get the effects of above, eat a third, and the screen just goes black and "You are dead" comes up.... Though again, to keep it simple, it could just be like drinking the gasoline (boy was that an adventure)...

The worst part about it too, is that the natural "cure" is a counteracting poisonous berry, so you're fighting poison with poison... Also, the sources are largely native to North/South America and Africa, both in the tropics, far far away from Eastern Europe, so there's really no need to program in a "cure"... And worse, even if there were "cure" berries, they'd have to poison you in the same way where you'd have to seek out nightshade to "cure" yourself, and again you're fighting poisons with poisons, so you're probably just gonna end up killing yourself with poisonous plants because you can't exactly control the dosage in a lone survival situation.... In a real-life situation, you'd go to a hospital and they'd be able to administer some form of antidote in a controlled way... However, the likelihood of smaller town hospitals having the antidote on-hand is pretty slim, and they'd have to have it rushed/flown in from a poison control center somewhere close by (I live in a small-town state where our biggest city is like 200,000 people; I know what it's like to be in medical need 30 miles from the nearest hospital, and it SUCKS)....

On 7/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, Guy Smiley said:

Not necessarily true.  Maybe be able to eat whatever but majority of the food could not be that healthy for you to ingest, leading to complications later which would make it a challenging survival game.  Lots of food but if you don't find ways to cure, cook, preserve etc, things could spoil, assuming those type  mechanics get brought into the game

^ That's mostly the reason I don't bother harvesting animal game in-game; I'm betting eating it raw will probably make me sick, and I don't much feel like making a fire or carrying a cook stove or carrying a cooking pot/skillet, when there's canned food and apples readily available... In the real world, yeah... In a videogame, sod that, I barely wanna feed/water my character the way it is! :P

BioHaze: It's your fault you interpreted it that way. Further, please keep discussions in their respective threads; nobody likes drama being spread all over a forum.

Edited by t3h_kgb

My bad, I've not really played with the archery aspects too much. Thanks. :)

17 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

You're talking to yourself now, cute.

This implies that you were leaving.

Like all the other ignorant whiners before you.

Countless thousands who burn out on the process before they even knew what it was.

You will be haunted by your ignorance, baby boy.

Its all good Bio.. This reminds me of someone on reddit...would trash talk DayZ while talking up miscreated like anything. After a couple of months he suddenly became very positive about Dayz again.. when asked about this sudden change in attitude, the only explanation he could offer, was that he was back on his meds!!! ;)

• Like 1

On 29/07/2017 at 4:31 AM, Guy Smiley said:

Ah that's true. Okay, provided that all the food that grows across the map isn't totally healthy and just ready to eat, I could see that working. The odd exception (apples, certain berries) is fine, I'd just be concerned about these sorts of food sources being absolutely everywhere. But, as you say, many of them could have major drawbacks.

7 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

It would be a very interesting way to kill a player character... After a player gets hit with a poisoned arrow, they would run off and bandage themselves (granted you are stealthy enough to not get spotted and killed in the process, etc), but after a few minutes, the game would start with kaleidoscope colors on the edges of your screen, your vision would blur, vomiting, "I am feeling very sick" coming up in red letters, auditory and visual hallucinations (delirium, flashes of reality that aren't real, not like cartoon characters sitting on your shoulders) could be a thing, then you'd black out and die. It could be sped up to say 10-ish minutes after a successful shot (as opposed to real life, where it would take a hot minute depending on the dose), requiring the PK to track down his prey...

I think I'd just prefer the kaleidoscope colours and general dizziness, making it very difficult to defend yourself for several minutes. It should only kill you if your character is already a bit beaten up. A healthy player should be able to survive the poison. Of course if you've been hit by a couple of arrows, odds are pretty good that you'll be a bit worse for wear at that point anyway.

10 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

I think I'd just prefer the kaleidoscope colours and general dizziness, making it very difficult to defend yourself for several minutes. It should only kill you if your character is already a bit beaten up. A healthy player should be able to survive the poison. Of course if you've been hit by a couple of arrows, odds are pretty good that you'll be a bit worse for wear at that point anyway.

It all depends on how they wish to implement it, if at all... But, it's not a very survivable substance; there's a reason its common name is "Deadly Nightshade"... :D

20376198_1691588371137324_56994661856002

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, t3h_kgb said:

so's we can make our own Strawberry Rhubarb wine

OMG I love strawberries. FINALLY a reason to give beans out.  A+ thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

BioHaze: It's your fault you interpreted it that way. Further, please keep discussions in their respective threads; nobody likes drama being spread all over a forum.

Edited 11 hours ago

Misinterpreted "I might come back" as "I am leaving now", how?

Your massively pathetic backpedal attempt fails miserably.

You need a lot of help....

I don't like hypocrisy, or the people who practice it.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

Right, stop the bickering, please.

If you have a complaint about another user, report them. Let me handle it.

carry on with the topic at hand.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, Parazight said:

OMG I love strawberries. FINALLY a reason to give beans out.  A+ thread.

Right? :D

A.Belladonna (Schwarze Tollkirsche) I know this plant since it is where I live in certain areas to be found.

Your idea has no background why this should be in the game. I'll give you a reason for DayZ.

A.Belladonna is poisonous, very poisonous. However, exactly this poison (Atrophine) is also a counter poison to a poisoning with "nerve poison" (I remember the contaminated Tisy zone). Read this is to read here is clever what A.Belladonna is exactly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

In this describtion are under medic uses this:

"Atropine sulphate is used as a mydriatic and cycloplegic for eye examinations. It is also used as an antidote to organophosphate and carbamate poisoning, and is loaded in an autoinjector for use in case of a nerve gasattack. Atropinisation (administration of a sufficient dose to block nerve gas effects) results in 100 percent blockade of the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, and atropine sulphate is the benchmark for measuring the power of anticholinergic drugs."

This gives the plant a tactical use. As a counter-poison to poisoning in Tisy or as a poison for example for arrow heads (hunting 1x arrow on animals/humans... make not instand dead, only slow and disorientations). The effect on infected could also be interesting because atrophins have a shock effect on them, which could be a) soothing or b) as highly aggressive.

This is my basic idea why A. Belladonna would only make sense.

Actually, that's a good point. Atropine is anticholinergic, and can work against toxins with a cholinergic property. In fact, I have a garden pesticide in my garage that names "Atropine chloride" as a treatment for accidental poisoning... :D

But, yes it could indeed be used quite inefficiently to combat the effects of certain chemical weapons...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropine#Poisonings

Still, though, nightshade WILL kill you if you get a lethal dose, and a lethal dose isn't very much from a mature plant... Honestly, I think it would be a very interesting game mechanic, almost like a DoT (Damage over time) spell or ability in other MMO's. It would be way interesting if the devs actually developed it far enough to be accurate to accounts of survived poisonings, where they see what look like player characters running around that aren't really there (just a model with starting clothes under NPC control), hear noises (pre-recorded speech files, animal calls from animals that are so totally NOT in-game like elephans and lions and stuff, sound effects being played randomly, etc. could work), blurred and kaleidoscoped vision, etc..... Though, I wouldn't be mad if it was just a simple DoT effect or double-damage or something.