Baker.

Short post about life and direction.

Gentlmen, Is it time to start playing again? Havent played in over a year when me and Pacifist roasted a few apples in Gorka. Should I wait or jump back in?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baker. said:

Gentlmen, Is it time to start playing again? Havent played in over a year when me and Pacifist roasted a few apples in Gorka. Should I wait or jump back in?

If its one year since uve played, its time...let this song motivate u

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

As much as I love DayZ I'd still say wait, least till .63 (And god knows how long that'll be)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zyriun said:

As much as I love DayZ I'd still say wait, least till .63 (And god knows how long that'll be)

Is there a particular reason? ie playablilty, upcoming content etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zyriun said:

Agreed . Not much in the game ATM besides some eye and ear candy - aside from that the game hasn't changed in any major way that a non-daily player would care about . Wait for .63 (or possibly even further , as it seems .63 won't even have the features we are all looking forward to) although it will include the new player controller and animation system , which should be fun maybe ...

20 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

Agreed . Not much in the game ATM besides some eye and ear candy - aside from that the game hasn't changed in any major way that a non-daily player would care about . Wait for .63 (or possibly even further , as it seems .63 won't even have the features we are all looking forward to) although it will include the new player controller and animation system , which should be fun maybe ...

Majority of the mechanics are in place but what we are playing right now was the concept of DayZ.  The developers have been working on a whole new engine and player controller behind the scenes that we haven't even seen yet.  With all the feedback and data collected over the past few years they were able to create the DayZ that they want on a engine that is capable of doing what is needed.

3 hours ago, Baker. said:

Is there a particular reason? ie playablilty, upcoming content etc.

Because at the moment nothing major has changed, at least in a way that would drive myself to return, assuming I'd leave in the first place. The combat (Zeds and PvP alike) barely changed, the world barely changed, and the community absolutely hasn't changed (For better and for worse). Unless you're as astounded by new leaf textures (And not gonna lie I spent a good chunk of time just soaking those in), I don't see the point in returning right now. That's not to say that once we get some more updates rolling through my opinion won't change, because it will. I have an ungodly amount of love for this game, and am excited to see where it goes.

• Like 1

The new environment is worth checking out but is still being improved. (See recent status report)

The change in audio is really nice though still very WIP itself.

Considering you haven't played in over a year, I would play now before .63 just to get familiar with some changes ahead of time and to witness this particular increment in the process.

Whether you wait for .63 or not, you will likely be impressed.

• Like 3

The renderer launched just over a year ago (May 2016). If you haven't played since then, absolutely check it out! Nobody has mentioned .61, the incredible new gunfire sounds add tons of atmosphere to the game. Also there's now wolves, dynamic zombie spawning, dynamic lighting, a LOT of the map has been changed, especially the western border, and then there were a ton of changes in .62 like DOUBLING the tree count from 700k to 1.4m trees. I would say yes, it's absolutely worth checking out. .63 is a while away but I think it's worth it to play the final alpha build. It's a great time to play imo.

• Like 3

Yeah, tech side is not too bad right now, lots of nice stuff. I just don't like trees LOD's switching, extremely noticeable and very nnoying. Grass completely LODs out in too short distance.... Also that they made the player move at turtle speed up to even slightest hill, it doesn't even have to be super steep. Also you never know when some zombie will kill you from one hit.... 

Game side - not so nice. Among few people who are still playing KOS is a big thing, or they are lonewolfs, not seeking for interactions. Loot economy is very spread over the map, a lot of points of interest, still 99percents of running. Players are really spread also, you don't meet them too often, and then a lot of them are non vocal or KOS'ers, not very creative players. Game side used to be much better, even with tech side being much worse in the past.

I don't like new Novo. Old Novo was best place in DayZ. But whatever, the map is huge - which is also the problem most of the time with so little mobility, and not enough players.

IMO game will be worth playing when there will be bikes, bicycles, more people, and if the coast will generate at least a little more loot, but it probably won't. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 1:59 AM, Mantasisg said:

Old Novo

This freaks me out. 

Hi Baker.  You'll find graphical improvements, thats about it.  Worth it for one jaunt around, see some new places etc but the mechanics are pretty well unchanged. Its not the version to start playing again full time.  0.63 will be Beta phase where alot of the last 2 years work of development will start to be seen and experienced by the player.  I'd hold off for that.

• Like 2

Looks like baker is looking for people to tell him to play again , and not the opposite . You can see his bias through the beans he gives - anyone with a response related to not playing again recieves none , anyone with a cheery fan response receives beans .

why did you even create this thread there bud ? It's clear what you want to do .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

Looks like baker is looking for people to tell him to play again , and not the opposite . You can see his bias through the beans he gives - anyone with a response related to not playing again recieves none , anyone with a cheery fan response receives beans .

why did you even create this thread there bud ? It's clear what you want to do .

Well maybe someone cleared it up for him in the post? 

Went to give it a go, and man. Seems the game does. not. like. ultrawides.