Sign in to follow this  
klesh

Survival Item: Solar Oven

I think this might be cool to have ingame.  Implemented as follows:

Works only outdoors during daytime.  Requires you to face the game's sun.  Maybe only works if the sun is fully visible and not cloudy?

Creates a timed-item called "burning embers" or somesuch which can be added to a fireplace to get it roaring.  Cannot put "burning embers" in your inventory and you have 30 seconds (or whatever) to place it in a fireplace or it turns into "ashes".  Ashes could be used for other crafting things later, and perhaps can be pulled form various fireplaces when they burn out.

Perhaps it creates a flash that can be seen from a far, like an emergency distress signal is sometimes made with a mirror.  This ups the risk of using such an item.

Make-It-So.png

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2

Coming from someone trained and experienced in wilderness survival, this would be pretty useless.

In almost all situations, you would be better off building a fire

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Coming from someone trained and experienced in wilderness survival, this would be pretty useless.

In almost all situations, you would be better off building a fire

Perhaps the post is unclear; the idea would be a tool who's primary purpose would be another way to start a fire, not as a signal device.  Signaling or flash element was more of a con to it's use.

Perhaps its the term Solar "Oven"... I don't suggest this as a cooking tool or somesuch, placing meat on that tine and cooking it in the "oven" by holding it to the sun.  I suggest it as a way to generate a burning ember that will start a fireplace roaring, with some different conditions, pros and cons, to the already available methods.

12 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I see your solar oven and raise you one solar still.

ndHOhQP.gif

6gj5THY.jpg

Empty tin can + raincoat + knife + stone+ shovel = potable water?   

I can dig it.

6wBL4Eg.jpg

Edited by klesh
  • Like 1

Yup, maybe something like the plant material from farming would be the vegetation.

We're still set to see a lot of survivaly stuff to be added.

Shovel > cook pot > vegetable matter > tarp > mined rocks > small rocks

Would recreate the above diagram nicely indeed.

• Like 2

I like the idea with the solar oven. However, before this is introduced, I would like the real stone-oven. Just as he is now, he brings no real advantage to the effort needed to get him. The stone oven (8x 4kg stones!) Must have more than a normal fire place. The stone oven is a safe fire place, so it should be possible to make a fire almost everywhere (except on unsafe ground -> wood flooring), the stone oven should also have an advantage in wind and rain as it is a well protected Fire place.

If Stamina comes then give me an important reason why I get 8 x 4kg !!! Stones.

• Like 2