kopo79

accelerated time....why people dont like it?

when  searching servers with mark on accelerated time i have 130 ping just 4 servers....one full,one high and two medium populated.
when i took off accelerated time tab....i got 9 servers high/full populated and 5 servers are medium.
why?
i love to play servers with good acceleration that i can play with night and day.
devs put lot of efforts in lights and nights in game but it seems that no one like it.

Because people dislike playing at night.

And, to be honest, it is a valid complaint. In a real-world survival situation, I wouldn't do much of anything at night. I would find somewhere safe and sleep. To do otherwise is foolish.

I will NEVER play the game at night. Its not scary, its doesn't enhance my experience. Doing all that work, especially when building something, only to have it ruined by some guy using raised gamma or spotting my dumbass using a flashlight and sniping me a split second later. Let me tell you something, I used to play on a set of servers that all had about 45-60 minutes of full nighttime. I couldn't stand it. I asked many times why the heck they bothered with it. Every time the answer was "just use gamma" from many people and the answer went unchallenged with no one angered by the comment. No one bothered by people walking around basically in thermal scope mode compared to them. These were popular full servers too. So, what was actually happening in this instance is: People weren't even playing at night. They were simply playing in the regular game in  "black and white" mode with full brightness. What.........was............the.........point?

By all means simulate nighttime with a beautiful dusk look to the world, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had or Skyrim. Do whats important, make it *feel* like night time. Bring out the stars and nebuelas. But don't leave honest players vunerable to other players who haven't had life throw enough shit at them yet to be empathetic towards other people's real lives.

Plus, as Whyherro123 said, we sleep at night. I slept 12 hours a day till I was about 24 I think due to I think depression. I would hibernate right through a zombie apocalypse. But also, to each his own, it would be great to have as a server option for those that get something out of it.

Edited by libertine

1 hour ago, Whyherro123 said:

Because people dislike playing at night.

And, to be honest, it is a valid complaint. In a real-world survival situation, I wouldn't do much of anything at night. I would find somewhere safe and sleep. To do otherwise is foolish.

Mate, we both know that the reason people shun nighttime is not that they aim for optimized survival simulation. ;) It's the pew-pew that it's harder.

Personally, I love playing nights for additional horror effect. Zombie growls in the night are so much spookier and you can piss your pants when you walk just right on one. It's really a completely gaming experience, realism (i.e. hiding in the attic and waiting until dawn) be damned. Sometimes I truly feel 'alone in the dark'.

I have to admit, these days I play just to explore new locations and map changes, so I shamelessly crank up the gamma (nobody's hurt because of that, only my immersion, but it's not my goal at the moment). But I already noticed how dark the nights became again, how the light sources work better (although WTF is it with the gas lamp casting shadow right in front of you? do you wear it on your neck or something?) and how much more solid-grey and unpleasant the increased gamma looks. I can't wait when the devs render gamma cranking useless, hopefully without negating this effect with NVG. And if this means even lower pops, well, quality over quantity.

• Like 3

There is currently also absolutely nothing which makes the night a must. Only what is different in the night except that one recognizes almost nothing (not misunderstand, I like the night, only not too long) is: the infected are almost blind at night. As long as the infected is not an extreme danger (infected by an injury or one-hit chances of 50% infected by military) in certain regions, it is also very little to have to use the night tactically to enter certain parts of the map tactically Equal to RIP.

I don't particularly like accelerated time. I think it'd probably make more sense if we were able to set the length of the day and night independently, and then we'd perhaps see more players willing to endure and love night time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mithrawndo said:

I think it'd probably make more sense if we were able to set the length of the day and night independently, and then we'd perhaps see more players willing to endure and love night time.

Yes. This. This is what I have been hoping for in the long term. I don't want night and day to fly by, but I also don't want to play in the dark for 4 hours. I also don't want to go from night to day 6 times each in a 4 hour play session. I'd also like to see normal 24 hour day transitions at dusk and dawn no matter what I have acceleration set to. It's super weird to go from pitch black to full daylight in 2 minutes.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

I don't care for accelerated time. I like things as real as can be.  I enjoy playing at night, it brings lots of atmosphere. 

OWPcFAF.jpg

• Like 4

Why?  Because if games do not pander to the basic needs of the players it's generalized as garbage, crap or not fun.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the store page on steam states that "players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."?

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1

I love night time in game best camo ever. I can't wait for base building and night time in game gonna be great I hope we can start large fires I would love to burn some huge group/clans base and watch the flames get higher and higher and possibly get to watch them from the shadows trying to put it out as me and a few friends shoot them in the back. I can dream I can dream.

• Like 1

Shit and here I was wanting a constant night server looks like I would be the only dumb bastard to play on a server like that. I like the danger of going into places at night, things look different loot is harder to see sometimes as well as people and zeds(though I wish they weren't blind as bats or atleast use there damn ears). Is this whole game about seeing other players and having it easy does no one like the void of darkness and the feeling of doom around every corner or am I missing something. hell I liked nightime in the mod too unless it was pitch black and even then if I had NVG I played or I used flares etc yeah I died frequently but that's the point isn't it to die hell when i get all my loot I like and hit my version of endgame I suicide to do the early game to me that's the best part not the I have everything I need in a pack and just gonna sit on a rock and eat beans to each there own if I want to cook and survive like that I play project zomboid.

• Like 2

Accelerated time can be a bit weird and immersion breaking.

Watching the shadows slide around you like someone is slowly circling you with a lamp is odd.

The "flashes" of the transitions to night and dawn is jarring and immersion breaking.

Growing crops in 15 minutes is immersion breaking.

Currently I believe night time lighting is greatly improved from where it was not long ago, but accelerated time should likely be handled in a variety of ways across official and unofficial servers.

Even bumping Gamma doesn't wash things out like it used to and the shadows are still pretty dark for me but extended night play can be tiring and after a while you crave color again.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gannon46 said:

Shit and here I was wanting a constant night server looks like I would be the only dumb bastard to play on a server like that. I like the danger of going into places at night, things look different loot is harder to see sometimes as well as people and zeds(though I wish they weren't blind as bats or atleast use there damn ears). Is this whole game about seeing other players and having it easy does no one like the void of darkness and the feeling of doom around every corner or am I missing something. hell I liked nightime in the mod too unless it was pitch black and even then if I had NVG I played or I used flares etc yeah I died frequently but that's the point isn't it to die hell when i get all my loot I like and hit my version of endgame I suicide to do the early game to me that's the best part not the I have everything I need in a pack and just gonna sit on a rock and eat beans to each there own if I want to cook and survive like that I play project zomboid.

Please take this care package of small items to make you posts more readable.  Don't worry, they seem to multiply themselves every time you use one, so no need to be stingy.  

[ , . ? ! ; : ]

And, uhhhh, yeah; I play at nighttime too.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, klesh said:

I don't care for accelerated time. I like things as real as can be.  I enjoy playing at night, it brings lots of atmosphere. 

OWPcFAF.jpg

........and gamma.

OWPcFAF.jpg

Night is enjoyable for PvE. However, knowing that people use the gamma exploit means that I feel like I also have to use the gamma exploit, which sort of defeats the purpose of night time.

It's also only enjoyable for a short period of time. It eventually gets to the point where you just want it to be day. It really drags on. Short nights and long days - even if that isn't realistic - would be ideal. Think of the short nights as simulating sleep, or something. As had already been pointed out, most people would't do anything at night in a survival situation anyway, and since there's no sleep it does make sense to compromise by simply making nights shorter. Even better, let servers dictate the length of days and nights independently.

By fixing the gamma exploit and reducing the length of nighttime, I think players would be much more willing to play at night. Night is an important part of survival games, after all. Playing Misery and seeing the sun set, and then being plunged into near pitch-black is super scary and atmospheric - but it works in Misery because you can skip the night by sleeping. You don't have to sit through two hours of being blind.

Ultimately it's an issue of what is fun to play. Currently, for most people, night time isn't enjoyable even from an anti-game perspective.

• Like 3

I also like to play night, but limited. On exp where the timemultplier stands on 12x it makes fun. 2h playtime = 1 full day. The night is very good with almost one hour, unfortunately the day is so short. Day / night time should be set on admin level is currently about 6: 00-18: 00 day and 18: 00-6: 00 night. If I could I would the day from 4: 00-21: 00 and the night thus from 21: 00-4: 00. With multiplier it would be much more comfortable since also smaller values than 12x would be good. With 11x the time would always shift.

18 hours ago, libertine said:

........and gamma.

I can't prevent people from being dickheads and feeling the need to cheat themselves out of an experience.  It adds extra challenge and if I die and have to start over, oh well.  It wont be the first time.

How does accelerated time prevent gamma abuse though?

18 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Currently, for most people, night time isn't enjoyable even from an anti-game perspective.

That's because those people bought DayZ for the wrong reasons and then demand the devs  change the game to what they want.

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

That's because those people bought DayZ for the wrong reasons and then demand the devs  change the game to what they want.

While I agree with the basic premise of your post...... not really.

Listen, on this forum, I am known to be one of the more strident supporters of realism and authenticity. I dislike playing at night, specifically because it isn't realistic. In a real world survival situation..... absolutely nothing is 'worth' stumbling around at night for.

Food? It costs the least amount of metabolic energy to sleep, so by sleeping at night and foraging/hunting/farming during the day, you are more "thrifty"

Gear? Not worth getting injured over.

So on and so forth.