Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

How to make DayZ great again (by LIRIK and Shortyyguy)

PFHs1Zy.png

This was posted to r/dayz by u/haaany and proved controversial: 50% upvotes, 231 comments. LIRIK and Shortyyguy are streamers who broadcast gameplay on twitch.tv.

I had to check specifics for #7; they are referring to the game PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), which does not handle magazines as a separate item. Guns in PUBG act as if they have internal magazines. You can find upgrades for your gun (eg: 'Extended Mag', 'Quickdraw Mag', "Extended QuickDraw Mag") which increase the gun's ammunition capacity, the speed of reloads, or both. In addition, appropriate ammunition spawns next to firearms.

Thoughts?

jrNfTC6.gif

Edited by -Gews-

Who gives a damn what streamers think? They are not the voice of the community. Lirik is funny, and sometimes entertaining, but I'm not basing my world view of DayZ around his dumbass views.  I'd rather drink Turpentine and gargle razor blades.

• Like 2

I really hope he was fucking joking. If not, I hope he never plays DayZ again.

I disagree with almost everything on that list, with the exception of #3.

If I wanted Day Z to be like almost every other 'survival game" (Aka gunz-galore mildly-military simulator extravaganza), I would play every other 'survival game'.

Day Z needs to be difficult, if it is to rise about the flotsam and jetsam floating on the sea of shit that is the "open world survival game" market.

Fuck, Fallout 4 Survival Mode is a more fulfilling 'survival game' than most of the market, in my opinion.

• Like 1

How to make DayZ great again?  Simple, stop watching and listening to clowns like Lirik but I'll give him points for #5

So, remove all the unique aspects of DayZ that set it apart from the dozens of other shooters of the past couple years?

Isn't that the plan for making America great again too?

• Like 5

#5 is clearly a joke.

It seems like nothing more than two drunk dudes attempting to thinking critically.

If you are dumb enough to compare DayZ with PUBG, you shouldnt play DayZ. It is that simple.

All this would make arcade DayZ. Many people would like it more over todays Dayz. Id say Dayz needs better zombies. 

Everyone has different vision of dayz, some may think that nowadays survive boredom form of dayz is best ever. 

1. Moore loot - partially agree, needs some more loot at the coast. But then the game would need more players online, if we want to keep inlands populated enough too... map is too large.
2. STUPID, maybe just make weapon cleaning kit more available... But it is surely frustrating to get your gun ruined after 40-60shots. Couldn't really comment further, as there is little chance to shoot so much as you only run and don't meet anyone, and then die without even having any bullet shot lol nooooob
3. Thats pretty obvious, sadly seems hardly possible, many years come by, and there are only 60players online max. After years of development...
4. Agree, this says less, but it still should be complex. I hate to find a car which is mising ton of items, would enjoy to find cars more often, or if they are so terribly rare, then I'd hope to find them with less stuff missing.
5. Don't know about that. For current game mode basebuilding probably would make the game really weird, as people would preffer to play in very low populated servers - thus nobody would find their bases lol I'd think that basebuilding would work perfectly in specifically designed game modes - for example clans, it would be lovely if there would be few default clans on the map fighting against eachother. I'd love such additional game mode. So building a base would be meaningful, as you wouldn't have to care about being at the server 24/7 lol
6. WEAK... but can not comment further, as I just don't get any gameplay from DayZ, so I don't even know how often guns are jamming lol
7. STUPID
8. Nope. More players, and more mobility, some more gameplay features would be enough to make it shine. 

Edited by Mantasisg

PFHs1Zy.png

Then with new Logo:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHe_cA-Oqe1HGhwFnJe9O

• Like 1

The two main ways to make the game good are

1 - Fix the desync once and for all

2 - Zombies that are a threat not becuase they're glitchy and can one shot you and have other bug-related superpowers but because of the quality of them and the quantity of them. 

Even if they do every single one of the points in OP the game will still be bad if the desync is there and the zombies aren't good. Desync is the core of all DayZ's crappyness.

Adding other stuff to the game while the desync is still there is like polishing a turd. You can make it all smooth and shiny, but it's still a turd at the core. Fix the desync and the turd will turn into a diamond, and then you can polish it.

Edited by devotress

LESS COMPLICATED????????????????????????????????????????????????

lol, are you kidding me, they already took out a ton of Arma sophistication, like hotkeys. We used to be able to double press forward to get up fast and start running from the prone position, something very handy (and REALISTIC) when the bullets start flying. Gone. Why? They should add in all sorts little natural movement behaviors IMO. less complicated.... we can't even turn our heads all the way around when on a ladder. I wish the devs would utilize the alt key as a modifier to build in all kinds of more sophisticated movement mechanics. The beauty of the alt key is that it can be pressed while the other fingers are still moving the player around. Since jump in DayZ is not used very often, perhaps the space bar should be used as a modify as well.

I think they should continue on with the direction they're going, they could really made something special. With modding, it can just be one of many optional play styles, making DayZ standalone fit a larger variety of tastes and just be a base for some awesome mods, I think i'd agree with that.

That said, I do agree with 1,2 and 3. I've been watching Mr.Nobody's stream for awhile and when he finds a helicopter crash, there is nothing but clothing. A lot is still in the process of being changed I know/hope. But will say if you are going to create a game with this little loot and variety, or loot like it is now in completely predictable places, IMO, you will need to compensate in other areas with the amount of interesting other things to do/see/hear in the game, but I have a hard time imagining that happening with the dev pace so slow. 4 years for what we have now? MechWarrior Online and Elite dangerous are good examples of games with gameplay that is very slow and/or monotonous (for the average person I think), where in IMO it was really critical for the success of the games to compenstate for the lack of interest in the gameplay area by making everything else more captivating and interesting. Like IMO MWO should have had awesome sfx for huge mech's internal operations and weapons, but they were super simple, the maps and map visuals were simple (until recently), the sophistication of the movement was simple sine wave up and down yank fest stuff from the 80s. In the case standalone, with such a lesser degree of PVP/interaction compared to the mod, I think they need to really compensate on other areas.  Zombies for example are an area of interest they could focus on to make a survival experience more interesting to compensate for the potentially very monotonous survival gameplay they are going for. Tons of realistic client side zombie animations/behaviors kicked off by the server side code to help create a sense of zombies being "alive" and real and not feel just some basic code afterthough working in the background.

Edited by libertine

Vehicule?

lol

• Like 1

players should make the dayz great again....when you see someone in game....dont hit face with fist...ask him,where are you from and and what is his/hers name?
play together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kopo79 said:

players should make the dayz great again....when you see someone in game....dont hit face with fist...ask him,where are you from and and what is his/hers name?
play together.

Then you would barely be afraid as a new spawn if everyone did that. Just wander right through Chernarus.

@kopo79 There used to be more friendly and rich interactions, when there were more of them. Now asthey are too rare, a lot of players gets "battle hungry" and we know the rest - KOS, or stupid meaningless attacks... 

As for Lirik, I don't think he cares for interactions, just battles. There will always be some players who are only interested in fights, we could call them bandits, and DayZ needs them too, because they are greatest threat. When everybody are acting as bandits its the end of DayZ.

Edited by Mantasisg

1. More Loot
Disagree, the loot amount is pretty ok and realistic imo, just lacks randomization, if you find AKM and Mosin, then probs you wont see anything else on that server.
Slight loot increase would not hurt especially on the civilian stuff and various tools. Oh and crash sites should have way more loot ( atleast 2 ready to use rifles, basically what real military heli would have in it during apocalypse ).
2. Remove Durability
..Or increase the lifespan.
3. Higher Players Count
Agree
4. Vehicle Building
Agree
5. No Base Building
Agree, i don't see the point of base building in DayZ, it simply would make dayz look like shit, ( full sky high towers etc. ) maybe only some fences to occupy a town for example ( as reference to TWD's Governor town ).
6. Gun Jam
I'd prefer to keep it, just make it easier/faster to unjam.
7. PUBG MAG/AMMO
Wut? If you mean more extended mags as additional mags to find, i agree. Btw, PUBG has bit unrealistic ammo in their game, for VSS they use std 9mm, wtf :D
8. Make the game...
Wut? Sounds like "Make DayZ Arcade and unrealistic af just like PUBG or H1Z1"

Edited by exacomvm

Very surprised to hear some of the arguments against base building. Base building was a huge part of Dayz Mod. I guess It doesn't matter if base building makes it into Vanilla Dayz or not, as it will most certainly be introduced by 3rd party developers once the game becomes available to modify.

Without base-building, Day Z will be little more than yet another run-n-gun 'survival sandbox" aka murder simulator.

Now, I am not referring to the base-building like in other games, where you can build massive towers in instants.

Shacks, walls, small things like that.

1. MORE LOOT - Agreed. More types of items and more items in general would make looting fun again.
2. REMOVE DURABILITY - Partially agree. Finding broken loot adds little to gameplay or fun factor. I would love all loot to spawn in Pristine condition and only degrade through use. This will add value to rare weapons and force you to maintain them.
3. HIGHER PLAYER COUNT - Agreed.
4. SIMPLIFIED VEHICLE BUILDING - Agreed.
5. NO BASEBUILDING ONLY CAMPS - Agree. People should be able to build camps or barricade existing buildings. No sky towers.
6. REMOVE GUNS JAMMING - Agreed. This is a frustrating mechanic because it is difficult to understand.
7. COPY PUBG MAG/AMMO SYSTEM - Don't understand what this would achieve. If they mean the entire reloading shit should be improved 100% agree. The current system feels clunky...
8. SIMPLIFY GAMEPLAY - Partially agree. The game should be easier to understand, not less complex.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, -Gews- said:

LIRIK and Shortyyguy are streamers who broadcast gameplay on twitch.tv.

Thoughts?

Thing is, the "Anti-game" as Dayz was originally conceived to be is not conducive to views by ADD kids online.  People only want to watch you shooting at other people, not collecting sticks and fishing.  The list should be titled "How to Make DayZ exciting so I can Generate Stream Revenue Again".  I would not advise the devs to take this list seriously.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2017 at 11:28 AM, scriptfactory said:

1. MORE LOOT - Agreed. More types of items and more items in general would make looting fun again.
2. REMOVE DURABILITY - Partially agree. Finding broken loot adds little to gameplay or fun factor. I would love all loot to spawn in Pristine condition and only degrade through use. This will add value to rare weapons and force you to maintain them.
3. HIGHER PLAYER COUNT - Agreed.
4. SIMPLIFIED VEHICLE BUILDING - Agreed.
5. NO BASEBUILDING ONLY CAMPS - Agree. People should be able to build camps or barricade existing buildings. No sky towers.
6. REMOVE GUNS JAMMING - Agreed. This is a frustrating mechanic because it is difficult to understand.
7. COPY PUBG MAG/AMMO SYSTEM - Don't understand what this would achieve. If they mean the entire reloading shit should be improved 100% agree. The current system feels clunky...
8. SIMPLIFY GAMEPLAY - Partially agree. The game should be easier to understand, not less complex.

I like base building but not sky tower builds. Some of us enjoy some pve building. I would rather us have a build like a compound. Then again all the work and it gets wiped :(

• Like 1