Sign in to follow this  
RAM-bo4250

Night lighting changing

When I play (currently playing experimental) and the server is on nighttime I get a weird lighting effect. The lighting will change from darkness to almost light and back again, like the game can't determine the lighting condition. I think where I am looking has something to do with the lighting change. I did a search on the forums, reddit and bug tracker but can't find someone else having similar issues. Any ideas?

Ron

4 hours ago, RAM-bo4250 said:

When I play (currently playing experimental) and the server is on nighttime I get a weird lighting effect. The lighting will change from darkness to almost light and back again, like the game can't determine the lighting condition. I think where I am looking has something to do with the lighting change. I did a search on the forums, reddit and bug tracker but can't find someone else having similar issues. Any ideas?

Ron

It's the engine's simulated eye adaptation effect. Or more so the camera whereby the scene brightens or darkens based on how much "light" the camera/eye is exposed to (brightens in low light, darkens in lots of light). In real life this happens but not so noticeably and not so quickly. I'm all for this effect, but it would be better if it was tweaked to be slower but also if the damn gradient banding in the sky didn't make it so noticeable. 

2 hours ago, DannyDog said:

It's the engine's simulated eye adaptation effect. Or more so the camera whereby the scene brightens or darkens based on how much "light" the camera/eye is exposed to (brightens in low light, darkens in lots of light). In real life this happens but not so noticeably and not so quickly. I'm all for this effect, but it would be better if it was tweaked to be slower but also if the damn gradient banding in the sky didn't make it so noticeable. 

Hmmm no Danny, I think I know what RAMbo is talking about. It's like the game is stuck to perpetual dusk; it looks like the sun sets, you prepare for the night then although the sun doesn't move in the sky the light comes back then irradiates like a mini nuke sun for one minute then the light decreases again and you think the night comes but it doesn't. It's like if the time on the server is in a short cycle of 2 minutes. At first I thought that my gamma was fucked up but its level was at my usual 40%.

Now I don't know if this is a setting controlled by the server admin himself as an anti-gamma cheat but it's very tiring for the eyes. Note that this only happened on one server. I didn't had much time to worry about as the wipe we had 10 days ago solved the problem by killing my toon and I picked up another server. The annoyance is that with that new character management thing you never know why you can’t move your toon to another server despite both servers being public. So I kept playing in that crazy light environment until the great wipe freed me from my misery.

Problem description: sun remains still in the sky like if it’s 20 o’clock in the evening, light decreases in a minute to almost night time, sun still stays still in the sky then goes back to bright intense daylight in a minute and so on. The usual midday to midnight cycle never happens.

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

@MaxTheSurvivor Could this be the effect that happens for a split second when the sun goes down and the lighting system switches from day to night? I occasionally notice it flicker from dark to light then back to dark when this happens during sunset.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

@MaxTheSurvivor Could this be the effect that happens for a split second when the sun goes down and the lighting system switches from day to night? I occasionally notice it flicker from dark to light then back to dark when this happens during sunset.

That’s what I thought in the first place, telling myself "cool now you have these nice light effects like just before the sunset when you have that last powerful lens flare before the night comes that we sometimes witness IRL" but it's like it's 20'clock then at 20:02 the light bounces back (rewinds) to 20:00 and so on forever.

20 minutes ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

That’s what I thought in the first place, telling myself "cool now you have these nice light effects like just before the sunset when you have that last powerful lens flare before the night comes that we sometimes witness IRL" but it's like it's 20'clock then at 20:02 the light bounces back (rewinds) to 20:00 and so on forever.

Also i've noticed that I think on accerated time servers, shadows rewind back to like 2 minutes then bounce back forward to normal like there's no smooth transition. Maybe i'll try to get footage of op's issue and the shadows too.

23 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

Also i've noticed that I think on accerated time servers, shadows rewind back to like 2 minutes then bounce back forward to normal like there's no smooth transition. Maybe i'll try to get footage of op's issue and the shadows too.

You can see on the server screen the time acceleration for a specific server. This one was set to normal speed, there was no >>4x or something like that next to it.

I really think that this was done on purpose by the server admin. When I started playing 0.62 the server was a public 1pp mid populated server (UK I think), and for a few days all was good. Then that crazy light thing happened and the server emptied in one day, I guess people were feed up by that crazy light behavior. As I couldn’t figure out how to move my toon (switching to another 1pp public server was sending me back to the beach whatever the server) I just kept playing with that ever dusk light.

Yet I must admit this works great to beat the gamma cheat, as I was checking my gamma settings thinking my gamma was somehow bugged, I watched the environment with gamma to max for a couple of minutes and that light thing was so intense that with gamma set to max the image was almost all white. My guesses are that the server admin wanted to “clean” his server from all the other players to turn it into a farming server and found that way to repel other players and have an empty Tisy to loot just for himself.

As the server disappeared a few days later this might be the doings of the admin server. I don’t know I never managed a Dayz server to know what settings you can alter as an admin.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I wasn't sure if it was just me or was happening to others. When experimental isn't the same patch number as stable I strictly play on UK - 4 and there was where this lighting effect was taking place. I just wanted to be assured it wasn't just my system or settings.

Actually Danny Dog and Max the Survivor are both right. I have both of those. The light to darker coming in and out and the seeming perpetual dusk or dawn.

Edited by RAM-bo4250
more clarification
  • Like 1

This is where the effects guys need their head checked.  They want us to perceive we are viewing it through the players eyes but want to throw stupid camera effects on top...... IT DOESN'T FIT.  ALL CAMERA EFFECTS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO 3RD PERSON ONLY.  There is no need to simulate what our eyes are doing by themselves.  Good thing is this seems to be one of the only effects that is done incorrectly so far.  Other than outside being brighter while inside.  Maybe they will limit these camera effects to only the 3rd person camera view where they belong.

You should also notice the lighting at the edge of your screen is brighter than the middle at night.  The effect is bad, and needs work.

Edited by BIIdiots
typo

If you're playing on experimental and have a question about something there, post in the experimental forum.  It could always be something with the latest build.  Posting in General is going to find you discussing with people not playing the same version as you.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, klesh said:

If you're playing on experimental and have a question about something there, post in the experimental forum.  It could always be something with the latest build.  Posting in General is going to find you discussing with people not playing the same version as you.

Then it gets more confusing when you forget you are on experimental looking at all the stable talk.