battlerhd

Way too many birds

Anyone else think that the birds are over the top? I feel like im trying to survive in an African rain forest all of a sudden. Way too loud and way too many, never mind the fact there isn't a single bird to be seen

• Like 3

my only problem with the bird sounds is that one fucking bird that sounds like a zombie aggroing.  :-/

• Like 1

Chirp chirp chirp all day long.

I would be more happy with recognizable bird samples instead :P

I live in a small town (about 50 000 people) and there's constant birds singing, like, all the time...

I just came back from a week-end at the cabin, in the woods, near a small village of less than 100 people, and there was far more birds, so constant and overlapping different species of birds were singing.

Right now, there's still not enough of them in DayZ, and we would need more variety too. Different birds for different environments.

It's still a long way from being an immersive authentic experience. 

P.S.: This was the place. Shots taken on Saturday.

sesmrr.jpg

1zr11df.jpg

2r26uyf.jpg

These are real-time recordings of forest sounds. Almost constant bird sounds. 

I'm almost satisfied with how the bird sounds effects are right now, but I wish the owl was back in the nights, and there was more city birds in towns like the swallow. 

Still, we'll see how it goes, it's a work in progress after all.

• Like 6

@odin_lowe Holy crap that last video is so DayZ. Everything about it looks like it could be what DayZ looks and sounds like in the future. Hope they strive for something as close to that video as they can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odin_lowe said:

It's still a long way from being an immersive authentic experience.

Its a zombie apocalypse, the food chain is dead so the majority of birds will die or move on to where ever they can find food. There shouldn't be that many 

21 minutes ago, battlerhd said:

Its a zombie apocalypse, the food chain is dead so the majority of birds will die or move on to where ever they can find food. There shouldn't be that many 

Birds do not depend on humans nor are humans part of their food chain. (Unless vultures and crows when you die) So a disease affecting people will only benefit birds specifically birds that are negatively impacted by human expansion and humans destroying habitat.

A common misconception about birdfeeding is that once you start, you can't just suddenly stop because the birds have become dependent on the food and end up starving when the food source is removed.  This myth is particularly brought up during the winter months, which people often think is the harshest time of the year for birds.

The truth is that you can feed and stop feeding birds at any time throughout the year.  Feeders (not just yours, but all the feeders a bird may visit in its vast feeding territory) make up only a small portion of a bird's diet - usually no more than 10% of its daily intake.  Natural foods (plant seeds and fruits, nuts, invertebrates, etc.) make up the majority of what a bird eats to survive.  Winter is actually a time of bounty in some regards, since many plants produce fruits, seeds, acorns, or nuts in the fall and birds can typically make use of this supply throughout the winter.  In fact, winters with numerous thaws inbetween snowfalls often result in a decrease of bird activity at feeders, as the birds focus on feeding upon plentiful natural food sources. 

It is important to remember that birds are mobile creatures that are used to natural food supplies which appear and disappear all the time.  Because of this, birds do not suddenly starve if a food supply, whether it is a berry bush or a bird feeder, runs empty.  They just move on to the next food source.

SOURCE: Wild Birds Unlimited (this is from folks that makes a living from selling wild bird food)

• Like 4

I've been in forests that were dead silent. It depends on the part of the world you are in. To my life experience, watching streams, the birds and the forest don't sound right, too loud, sometimes too varied, it sounds like I'm in a jungle.

The shoreline sound is missing too. It was too loud sometimes in the mod and extended too far without falloff, but now its missing in situations where you should definitely hear it. They should have it be audiable from a distance, it was a pleasant sound when it was appropriate, same with the wind sound which was very atmospheric IMO. The new wind sound is like a sound of wind you hear when you are indoors and the wind is pushing itself in. Heres the old sound. The sound of the waves is also here at 16:56 if you don't remember it.

Edited by libertine

I feel like I either posted about this or was going to .  I do feel the same.  Too many different bird calls in the same area. 

22 minutes ago, plasma (DayZ) said:

I feel like I either posted about this or was going to .  I do feel the same.  Too many different bird calls in the same area. 

There have been a number of threads and posts about this since the audio update.

But people don't use the search function before posting, do they?

After hearing some of the complaints I took note of the sound in my busy NYC neighborhood one afternoon.

Traffic, loud construction, and you guessed it.... plenty of constant bird song.

I'm just wondering why they don't go out into the Czech countryside with some microphones and build soundscapes from what they record....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, battlerhd said:

The food chain isn't dead, though?........

Apart from humans, the world is doing pretty damn good. If anything, there will be more animals than before the disease.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, battlerhd said:

Hmm. Not really. It's DayZ. Day Zero. Patient Zero started the infection, that only spread through humans, and now has stopped... Thus why "players" are immune, everyone that reaches Chernaurus (spawns on the beach) is immune to the infection, but the roaming infected are aggressive, violent and will try to kill anyone that comes to close to them.

No cows, wolves or birds were affected by the infection. The lack of humans made the cows, chickens, pigs or any livestock unattended, and they started to roam free. Thus why we encounter them anywhere on the map. Of course, right now there's only cows, chickens, wolves and deers but there used to be boars, pigs, goats, sheep, rabbits and foxes. Eventually they'll probably be brought back.

So in the end, it's not a zombie apocalypse that killed every life form on Chernaurus. The birds are totally unaffected by this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I'm just wondering why they don't go out into the Czech countryside with some microphones and build soundscapes from what they record....

This. Problem solved. That would be amazing seriously. They should have done that since the start in a way, so they could record various bird or wildlife sounds from different seasons. I think I'm asking too much... (But they had the time to do it though.)

• Like 4

Well there really are no birds, just bird sounds. I'm hoping to see actual birds flying around soon, but no, I don't think it's over the top, at least not everywhere. There are certain areas that are much louder than others. The area I am at currently is relatively quite. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

This. Problem solved. That would be amazing seriously. They should have done that since the start in a way, so they could record various bird or wildlife sounds from different seasons. I think I'm asking too much... (But they had the time to do it though.)

I would assume doing this would be a lot harder than you think. Unless you have exclusive access to the birds you are recording it might be really difficult to get individual bird calls and know exactly what bird it is, especially with unpredictable elements like human interference etc. I think to future proof this process they would need to actually figure out what sample belongs to what bird to eventually assign them to actual birds in the game when they decide to implement them. Otherwise you're left with the standard building samples of bird calls from scratch using references that they can record like you said but then you're left with the whole idea of them being artificial. We can speculate as much but until the audio designer speaks about this then yea :/

But probably they can recognize the bird the sounds are coming from seeing as they live there.

Edited by DannyDog

Thing about birdsong is that as you move through any real environment you hear different mixes of various birdsong every hundred yards - human beings normally tune birdsong out as not relevant, so you have to deliberately listen - but this constant change of "mix" from one location to another does penetrate, you are aware of it even of you are not conscious of it. So hearing the SAME mix of song anywhere in different areas miles apart or even 200 yards apart is really VERY odd and abnormal, and tells your subconscious that something is deeply "not right". This is why players get psyched about birdsong - because in fact JUST ONE randomized birdsong track is following you wherever you go. <lol> In real life this is Deeply Not Normal. So you rationalize an explanation of what is "odd".  - But you are already used to seeing EXACTLY the same tree every few hundred paces, right?  (if you notice). That wrecked car is the SAME one you saw in the last town, same paint, and bullet holes. The gun has the same scratches in the stock as the last one. This might "seem" like action but you are playing in a strange recurring dream - listen to the birds. .. they are always the same birds.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, ScipioII said:

Birds do not depend on humans nor are humans part of their food chain. (Unless vultures and crows when you die) So a disease affecting people will only benefit birds specifically birds that are negatively impacted by human expansion and humans destroying habitat.

SOURCE: Wild Birds Unlimited (this is from folks that makes a living from selling wild bird food)

We do not have enough information on birds and if humans have an impact on their life styles. Some animals rely on humans, for safety and food such as dogs and cats. Would they survive long without humans? being small my guess would be yes since dogs are known to hunt in packs, and cats can survive. Different breeds stick together all the time, but are hunting close by human populations.

Birds are mostly free, so it is unknown if any survive solo on the tree types we plant, the vegetation or anything else we harvest around us.

I know for one fact that some insects would survive without humans, such as the honey bee's. WE just kill everything off :(

8 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Well there really are no birds, just bird sounds. I'm hoping to see actual birds flying around soon, but no, I don't think it's over the top, at least not everywhere. There are certain areas that are much louder than others. The area I am at currently is relatively quite. 

You will also see some fps hits too, unless they add in a bird or two flying around us in the open but no where near those horrible FPS cities.

Maybe able to hunt them too?

One thing about the birds sounds that might help a little bit if they worked on is that I think there is too much echo. Like if you get your birds sound effects from a jungle environment, the sound is probably going to bounce off loads of jungle plants and tree leaves and its going to sound like you are in a bit of a chamber. I get that feeling from these sounds but the environment doesn't match. Removing the reberb, hopefully with an effective and simple audio program function, but perhaps with new sounds unfortunately, might help.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 3:56 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Here is wideo from (yes, actual) Czech countryside.  Vat I hear?  Birds singing!

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2