Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

Let's discuss STAMINA.

Stamina. For me personally, I do not want some silly mechanic that forces your player to stop for a set amount of time, based on a set amount of time running.. to me, that is the most ridiculous way of adding in stamina to video games and it is all that we have ever seen basically. The same old, run for X amount of time and be forced to rest for X amount of time, is boring, out done, and has never been remotely realistic.

When you are being chased by zombies, a pack of wolves, or some murderous pack of human beings, you will run for your life as if it depended on it. You would not stop because you were winded.. you would only stop when you simply could no longer run or when you felt safe; eventually if you ignore your body, your body shuts down and essentially you pass out, or become incapacitated in the least. What I want to see DayZ do, is something very similar.

Run if you need to, but visual and audible queues begin to tell you to rest your player. If you decide to ignore them, you will eventually lose health (and then 'blood'). Which will eventually cause your player to pass out. Most likely, in a very bad way and in a very bad place. The amount of "time" you can run will be completely dependent on how much health and blood you had to begin with, and how much you carry on your person (see: planned weight system). Stopping for quick breaks will allow you to run for longer distances, but never stopping at all will put out you at huge risk for losing health to the point of unconsciousness.

You will literally see your hydration, health, and food meters drop to empty while running, then the screen loses color, then you pass out - with this idea. 

Of course weight would play a huge part in all of this.. do you really want to live? Drop your shit, to weigh less, so you can run both faster and for longer. Or care more about your gear, and perhaps lose it all, including your life, because of it. It will allow players to make a choice, and several choices from it perhaps, rather then be forced to constantly take breaks to "catch their breath".

We all know BIS has already talked and discussed this to great lengths at this point. But perhaps there is still time for the topic to be open enough to affect our game we play? How would you like to see stamina replicated in dayz, like other games have done it in the past, or maybe something totally new.. something maybe only YOU have thought of?

What do you all think? Discuss your ideas. :)

• Like 7

Sounds almost identical to the ACE 2 stamina system, which was IMO the best system :)

• Like 1

I like the idea of being able to push yourself beyond your limits at a penalty. The devs have talked a lot about "soft skills," three skills the player improves at by doing them, including stamina, medical, and cooking. I think it would be cool if proper management of your stamina increased your stamina level. If you take care of yourself, you get rewarded. If you push yourself beyond your stamina limit, you begin to incur various penalties. I think players should be given a reason to sometimes walk instead of run, aside from stealth alone. If stamina management could be made into a game, it could break up the monotony of long journeys. A player with a higher stamina level could have a higher chance of waking up from being unconscious, and more time to run away before falling unconscious from injuries. I think players should be made more resilient by taking care of themselves.  

I'd also like to see separate levels of run speed, which could be attained from improved stamina and proper footwear. Damaged feet means hindered speed. I think it would be very cool if healthy and properly clothed players could run down less healthy and prepared players with less effort. I think it would be a very cool and scary experience to see a group of geared players and know they not only out gear you but are also faster and stronger than you. I think fresh spawns should have their run speed reduced, and I think the max player speed attainable should be less fast than the current run speed, meaning that despite the various levels of speed, no one can run as fast as players can now. Currently players run entirely too fast, to the point that it reduces the realism and quality of player vs. player combat. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Currently players run entirely too fast, to the point that it reduces the realism and quality of player vs. player combat. 

They have stated many times the run speed will decrease, eventually. ;)

My guess is once we get .63 and further, fleshed out properly. Maybe right away, maybe down the 'patch path to gold'.

Edited by Irish.
Forgot to add winkface to show I am trying to be nice, not angry.
  • Like 1

I agree with all the details on here in Tread. Only what I would like to say: the kind of shoes and the texture of the ground on which you should run ... should have an influence. (Which is now only in connection with Stamina, not talking about noise and wear.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Irish. said:

They have stated many times the run speed will decrease, eventually. ;)

My guess is once we get .63 and further, fleshed out properly. Maybe right away, maybe down the 'patch path to gold'.

As long as the game allows you to drive around and run over people who needs weapons hey?

Opps hit enter to quickly

- Running is ok, but no more then 1 minute or two real time, then you reduce your stamina to 0. You can run the 400 m fully out btw, i know i used to do it all the time.

Edited by sneakydude

and hungry should affect your stamina first.not like how is it now...eat few fruits but still hungry...20 minutes and you are dead.
lack of fluids could kill you more easily but if you are hungry,you can live but not run.

• Like 1

I generally like your idea except for one problem.  "Running" is unfortunately the quickest way to get through the interminable no-mans land between major cities and towns.

Also the map isn't that big really.  It's about 10x10 miles of mostly open farmland, small forests and towns interconnected by roads.   Too small to realistically be worried about "getting lost in the woods" but too big and sparse to actually want to spend hours "not running" from location to location.

But I do like the idea of your speed being determined by your load and having to drop your pack to get away from that zombie hoard...if the zombies actually came in a hoard...and were actually dangerous.

Think it's the largest survival map in the genre that isn't based on arcade mechanics.  Can't think of one that is larger.  Many of the arcade survival games are even smaller.

The erroneous notion that you need to pass out when tired or exhausted would cause so much discourse on the forums and a demand to nerf it that it's a non talking point.  Plus it just isn't realistic for an average person.  Athletes trained to push beyond their limits it might happened, but most will just tire, slow down, then get eaten.  What would probably be a better idea not only the stamina meter but a adrenaline meter.  That is full and pushes your stamina beyond normal......When the adrenaline meter runs out then you start slowing, tiring, and eventually have to stop, drop a pack, or fight.  The adrenaline meter would fill slower, and maybe some food/drink would replenish it faster.   

32 minutes ago, bfisher said:

I generally like your idea except for one problem.  "Running" is unfortunately the quickest way to get through the interminable no-mans land between major cities and towns.

Also the map isn't that big really.  It's about 10x10 miles (its about 85sq. miles) of mostly open farmland, small forests and towns interconnected by roads.   Too small to realistically be worried about "getting lost in the woods" but too big and sparse to actually want to spend hours "not running" from location to location.

But I do like the idea of your speed being determined by your load and having to drop your pack to get away from that zombie hoard...if the zombies actually came in a hoard...and were actually dangerous.

4 minutes ago, BIIdiots said:

Think it's the largest survival map in the genre that isn't based on arcade mechanics.  Can't think of one that is larger.  Many of the arcade survival games are even smaller.

The erroneous notion that you need to pass out when tired or exhausted would cause so much discourse on the forums and a demand to nerf it that it's a non talking point.  Plus it just isn't realistic for an average person.  Athletes trained to push beyond their limits it might happened, but most will just tire, slow down, then get eaten.  What would probably be a better idea not only the stamina meter but a adrenaline meter.  That is full and pushes your stamina beyond normal......When the adrenaline meter runs out then you start slowing, tiring, and eventually have to stop, drop a pack, or fight.  The adrenaline meter would fill slower, and maybe some food/drink would replenish it faster.   

You both should take a moment to go read up on some things here: https://dayz.com/blog

These are things that are being added, no matter what. Its HOW they add it, that is the question.

;)

Edited by Irish.

We could but why?  Funnier to talk about a feature that isn't implemented.  Every EA title I've purchase has never finished what they claimed, and half the features they proposed that prompted us to purchase their product never even make it in the game. 

Question should be why didn't you before you started the post asking us to make a statement about it.  If you didn't want hypotheticals.....then why did you offer them?

Stamina should regenerate if you walk except if you have way too much weight. The more weight the slower top speed. When you are out of stamina you are pretty much forced to walk. And of course with too much weight you run out of stamina so quickly so it's the same if you try to run because you're out of stamina pretty much instantly.