Imbalanxd

New respect for bus drivers

Returned to DayZ yesterday after like 2 years not playing, and I got a surprisingly good experience out of it. Kind of.
I found a bus in semi working condition and after scavenging in the area, found enough wheels to get it going.

Damn, driving that thing was impossibly difficult, but I'm not sure if its intended to be this way, or if it was damaged in some way that made it worse. I actually really like the manual transmission, but it seemed the bus was completely incapable of making it up inclines that were too steep, even with a lot of momentum going in. The bus also seemed prone to being "beached" on any hills or bumps. I had to completely remove and reattach the wheels a few times to bounce the bus out of the ground, and at one point, when it had become stuck on a train track crossing, it suddenly disappeared altogether.

So are vehicles still a bit buggy, or are busses not intended to be able to make it up certain inclines at all? It did have a "ruined" truck battery in it, so that could have had an impact, but its speed on level ground seemed pretty good.

Wait a minute, I thought you can't even start a car with a ruined battery?

As for the bus, it's actually a cool toy, quite quiet (second only to Volga) and faster than the truck (and you don't want to speed in urban conditions anyway). But it's not meant for off-road environment, so don't venture too far from them. It's true that due to the distance between the axes, as well the distance between the rear edge and the rear axis, the bus is prone to get stuck on ditches and the like. As for going uphill, try negotiating them on low gears, sometimes the 1st gear is necessary all the way.

I learnt that if I want to actually keep the vehicle I drive, I go ca 30km/h in cities and tad more than 50 km/h outside. More than that and you risk totalling the car (like someone did with your bus before) due to a few-second lags which I'm not the only one to experience. The other day I drove through the Northern Highway and noticed three totalled cars from Petrovka to Novo. But if you want just to have fun, especially with Volga, step on that pedal and do it hard!

6 hours ago, Imbalanxd said:

So are vehicles still a bit buggy, or are busses not intended to be able to make it up certain inclines at all? It did have a "ruined" truck battery in it, so that could have had an impact, but its speed on level ground seemed pretty good.

Welcome back!

Boy oh boy, where to start~!

SO, vehicles are really really buggy right now, both on Experimental branch and Stable Branch.

We are on the cusp of all physics engines becoming unified as Beta gels.

Short version is like this, the stable version of vehicles available are running on older tech than what's found on experimental, but both are buggy for different reasons, and in different ways.

Searching for tires isn't necessary as you can repair all but double wheels currently with the repair kit found in the vehicles inventory.

With any damaged tires you will find climbing hills to be near impossible in a truck or bus.

The top speeds of the truck and bus are 70-80km an hour currently (if I'm not mistaken), and you can shift a bit earlier than your instincts might dictate, especially if you have some downhill or level terrain.

Eventually we are supposed to see many more engine and body parts, and huge improvements to physics and traction performance, which will make vehicles much more sought after for groups, and a challenge to maintain. They are basically ready to go when found now for testing purposes (and this is why the ruined battery worked, or it's a bug).

Dirt bike, ATV, pick-up truck, crop duster, helicopter? In time.

Please, and working well.... thank you.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣