DayZ Standalone News

DayZ Standalone Chernarus Rail System Map

Hello Survivors :)

Few weeks ago i were browsing through different types of Maps for DayZ Standalone and noticed none of them have a more detailed rail system just some thicker black lines without any detail, so i thought why not spend some time and create one on my own and so did i.

Took me quiet some time, lots of in-game traveling, dozens of screenshots and plenty of ours in Photoshop. Imo it was worth it. Most people probably don't care about rail tracks in DayZ but for those who spend more time for DayZ and are interested in any detail its definitely more interesting.

Since im in cooperation with iZurvive I've decided to share this Map with them to let them use it to be the first ones who got a more detailed rail system. Can't wait when its ready and we all are able to use it via iZurvive :)

Here are some sneak peak pictures of my Map (download at the bottom)

cherno1.png

svet.png

zele.png

I would appreciate any feedback, there could be some mistakes but overall it should all be right.

Download 422MB

Edited by DayZ Standalone News
  • Like 7

Great.

Only what brings me into the whole detail love to the railroad into study brings. Why this usable kindness of the railtracks if they are never usable .... I hope I am wrong, really I want to be wrong. A working train can bring more attention and focus than a usable helicopter or aircraft.

Let us hope.

Edit to better understand.

Chernarus currently has a well-built railtrack. What is the meaning of an "optically" functioning rail system. I mean it's too perfect just to hike on the rails. I hope it is a sign, a sign that the trains are inserted as means of transport.

(To mutch sun from me today...)

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Great.

Only what brings me into the whole detail love to the railroad into study brings. Why this usable kindness of the railtracks if they are never usable .... I hope I am wrong, really I want to be wrong. A working train can bring more attention and focus than a usable helicopter or aircraft.

Let us hope.

Nice job, though most maps rarely if ever detail rail lines as much as you did.  I'm not even sure if Railroads themselves keep detailed maps (IE Switch Stands, Signals, Equipment boxes).  I stopped playing quite a few map updates ago but was satisfied with the level of detail they put into the tracks, rolling stock, and locomotives.  I've lost count of how many games 'killed' immersion for me by having trains just sort of plastered in or had wrong details (IE when a loco and rolling stock have both Knuckle Couplers and Buffers, or an electric train having no overhead gantry or third rail system).

I too would like to see some sort of workable train system (Pump Car, Speeder, actually getting a loco up and running) as the ground work at least seems to be in, but I think we'll have to wait for modders to do it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IkaikaKekai said:

Nice job, though most maps rarely if ever detail rail lines as much as you did.  I'm not even sure if Railroads themselves keep detailed maps (IE Switch Stands, Signals, Equipment boxes).  I stopped playing quite a few map updates ago but was satisfied with the level of detail they put into the tracks, rolling stock, and locomotives.  I've lost count of how many games 'killed' immersion for me by having trains just sort of plastered in or had wrong details (IE when a loco and rolling stock have both Knuckle Couplers and Buffers, or an electric train having no overhead gantry or third rail system).

I too would like to see some sort of workable train system (Pump Car, Speeder, actually getting a loco up and running) as the ground work at least seems to be in, but I think we'll have to wait for modders to do it.

I too would think that would be neat to get the trains up and running.

Although regarding the detail, one thing kind of bothers me:

If you check out the wrecked ship or the harbors, they are all filled with standard 20' intermodal shipping containers (maybe some 40' as well, I don't recall). 

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dayz-standalone/images/0/04/Rify_Shipwreck_aerial.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140312122643

And yet I don't think I've seen any rolling stock equipped to handle intermodal containers.  Mostly I've seen these old box cars that look like they are left over from the Battle of Stalingrad.  I'd expect to see lots of flatbeds or well cars, some loaded with containers.

hqdefault.jpg

Cars like these are still in use, but yes there are no deck or well cars in Chenarus (I'm not sure what they use in Europe but they're missing at the very least).  Chenarus doesn't seam to be a very advanced country, so using leftover box cars would make sense.  More than likely the containers would be unloaded and their contents transferred to railcars or vice versa, so it's still plausable detail wise.  Though it wouldn't take much for them to add in some other cars/wagons.  Railroads do have a budget to work with and have to adapt.  In the US at least older equipment/rolling stock is recycled, if a Boxcar is no longer fit for revenue service but otherwise in good condition they'll use it for Maintenance of Way service or take it off the tracks, remove it's wheels and set it up someplace as a storage shed.

• Like 1

In swiss we have this:

sbb-cargo-gueterwagen-gbs-181776.jpg

Some there can see: 

riv-europ-gueterwagen-gs-fs-interlaken-o

Yeah, as I mentioned boxcars still do have their uses, and an intermodal container would be hard to unload individual lots/units of cargo at stations, they're mostly useful because the entire load can be transferred quickly off or to another vehicle, then loaded/unloaded at the crew's leisure in a yard.  Very good for say getting a container of full of potato chips from the factory to a distribution center then to a store in another country/city.  But it has to get broken down and redistributed at some point, in Chenarus' case it would just happen at the docks or warehouses nearby rather than at an inland facility.

Didn't at one time, way way back, they had plans to make the rail system usable?  Possibly building your own vehicle to ride them, or being able to repair the existing trains/engines.  Thought that was talked about.......might have been a different game though.  Would be way way cool though.