dorn956

[SUGGESTION] Gearing Point System

I don't really know how to title this one.. haha.

Okay so here's the TLDR; 

Before you physically spawn into any given server, an entity for your player ID is created and will persist until death after fully spawning in.

This entity is a preset point system that dice rolls a number (let's say between 7 and 13) that you can spend to have gear to start with.

This system is seen in games like Insurgency and a few others. Weapons and gear costs points.

How this can contribute to DayZ SA:

This point system can allow players to start with at least something tangible that can assist their survival quest. Don't we think it's a tad strange that everyone wakes up with three articles of clothing and the exact same gear?

I'm sure this won't be permanent, but I have a good suggestion to replace this temporary state.

Here's how it works; You start as that said 'entity' and are given a number between 7 and 13. This represents the number of (we'll call them) equipment points (EP [/gp for gear points] a player will begin with. 

Within this limited number of EP, you may select a small loadout to begin your journey of survival.

So here's an example of the layout:

*Dorn956 joins DayZ FL-11*

*Starts with 10 points*

*Basic clothing already given*

First there's weapons:

I use 8/10 points to buy a mosin, 1/10 points to buy a scope, 1/10 points to buy a box of mosin rounds. I am now all out of points.

If I buy mosin rounds without the mosin, it will cost me 5pts. (This prevents the abuse of the point system to stock bullets and suicide).

Corresponding items cost less as a bundle. The higher the item tier, the more it costs.

Derringer = 1pt

Makarov = 3pts

CRz5 = 6pts

Etc. Etc. Etc.

The clips would be 1pt. The ammo would be 1pt.

This would allow players to have reasonable defense against other geared players, instead of rushing them in Elektro and hoping for a knockout lol.

Then there's tools:

Let's suppose I spent 5pts getting a makarov, a box of ammo, and one clip. They all come worn state.

Now I have 5pts left to spend on other necessities.

Crude axe = 2pts

Fireaxe = 3pts

Hunting knife = 2pts

Roll of bandages = 2pts

Any small food article maybe 1pt?

Get the gist? This would be a custom class system which would offer a variety of choices that would benefit the player in various ways.

What do we think? 

• Like 1

Sounds like a good server mod for servers that want to give player's a good starting point.

I don't see this ever making it into the base game but always good to have possible modding ideas.

• Like 1

I'd agree with DannyDog, would make a good mod or even an option for private hive servers to do.  I'm against the idea of starting with a weapon though, maybe just limit it to food and basic clothing items?  IE get a good roll and buy a rain coat, child's backpack, and a PET bottle.

I don't think this will be implemented in Vanilla, but for those who would like it, it would be a good mod.

But to your comment about everyone spawning in the same gear. How does your character know that from your character's point of view? That's what a lot of people lack, the ability to place yourself into your character, that's a part of what DayZ is about.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IMT said:

I don't think this will be implemented in Vanilla, but for those who would like it, it would be a good mod.

But to your comment about everyone spawning in the same gear. How does your character know that from your character's point of view? That's what a lot of people lack, the ability to place yourself into your character, that's a part of what DayZ is about.

That's a strong point, @IMT. I didn't look at it this way! You're right, from a roleplay perspective we would have no clue what another player would have -- or that anyone was even left. But also from a gamer's perspective, when we see a guy in a tshirt and jeans its unfortunate that we know theres a 99% chance they have no value other than being an ally. 

Some will kill others for gear.

Some will kill others for food.

Some will avoid new spawns altogether because they aren't worth time to talk to. For the intended purpose of an immersive game, you'd have to have a community willing to co-exist with this same immersive attitude. DayZ was rated the #1 PvP game for a short period of time because that's what players enjoyed about it most. Since it is the case (and even though I may not have the right to, I feel like I can safely speak for the majority of players when I say this) that most players are not there to survive, but to kill, then the worth of a fresh spawn is little to nothing. In fact, I would even call them a nuisance to well-geared and heavily-geared players. Why? Because they have nothing -- and they would kill for anything.

See the issue? 

For the record I 100% agree with all these comments that my idea would be best fit as a mod. However, there's an issue at hand with the value of a new-spawned player and their effect on other players.

Here's the main points:

• A new-spawn player is avoided because:
    • They have nothing to offer (you could argue they have companionship, and tactical advantages, but this is such a rare desire that I'm going to rule it out momentarily).
    • They will be likely to attack you for your gear, and avoid the roleplay and survivalist mission altogether.
  • A new-spawn player is sought out because:
    • They are being hunted by players with high gear who just want to kill people.
    • They are desired as allies.
    • EDIT: Cannibalism?

Let's take a setting from a show like The Walking Dead, or Z Nation: After watching these series and getting a good idea for how survival works their, most bandits decide to attack people who look just like new spawns in DayZ (no weaponry, clearly nothing on them) because they feel like they have a stash somewhere or might have something valuable to them.

In DayZ, when you find someone like that, you know that they don't have more than eight slots on them. The most they could be carrying is a handgun (which is not valuable considering the chance that they found a clip and the chance you have the appropriate ammunition are all slim) or something not valuable enough for you to want to have an encounter with them. In this sense, a geared player will shoot on sight, because they see a pest. Not a player.

But what if everyone spawned with something valuable? Everyone would be hunted, and everyone would also be the hunter. Not just a high pop server with at least twenty players that have less than so much as a crude axe to defend themselves versus people who server hop to get gear that's otherwise impossible to find unless you travel really far out and get geared up to come down to where all the players are (which is where they spawn) and where they mainly encounter new spawns.

Watch any dayz stream of people doing PvP in Elektro.. Bet that only 1/4 players they kill are new spawns that can't defend themselves. Sad part is 2/4 of them will be attempting to get a cheeky K.O. to gear up and then just do the same darn thing the first guy was doing anyways...

It's saddening :( 

I do see all the issues that would be caused with allowing starting gear, but also there are a world of issues already existent without it. My purpose here is to enlighten us on this fact. 

Do we really think that when DayZ goes live as a full-fledged game after beta testing that players will stay for very long? At this rate we'll end up like Titanfall. Players will love it for the first 10 days then will decline in population by the 11th drastically.

I'm putting myself in the eyes of a consumer who never played this game before. They spawn in with literally nothing, and walk around only to get shot by players with good gear then are like "wtf just happened"? Then they get lost in a town with Russian signs that they can't read, and starve to death before they find another player that won't attack them for what they have.

I even see fresh spawns boxing other fresh spawns for no darn reason. The unfortunate truth at this time is that there's no real reason to care for another player. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself, and I apologize for this huge rant, it's just I'm desperate to see this community succeed. I feel like a huge issue right now is the inability for new players to defend themselves and how deterred they would be by joining a game, getting knocked out, killed, kidnapped, tortured, and can't do a darn thing about it. At least with some sort of gun players will know how to defend themselves. I'd say enough people who come to DayZ have played FPS before and know how to use a virtual gun. But I'm not sure I could say the same about the melee mechanics.

Sorry for all that, but am I getting my point across at all?? Maybe I should take this to a discussion thread?

What do we think?

Edited by dorn956
Forgot something
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, dorn956 said:

Some will avoid new spawns altogether because they aren't worth time to talk to. For the intended purpose of an immersive game, you'd have to have a community willing to co-exist with this same immersive attitude. DayZ was rated the #1 PvP game for a short period of time because that's what players enjoyed about it most. Since it is the case (and even though I may not have the right to, I feel like I can safely speak for the majority of players when I say this) that most players are not there to survive, but to kill, then the worth of a fresh spawn is little to nothing. In fact, I would even call them a nuisance to well-geared and heavily-geared players. Why? Because they have nothing -- and they would kill for anything.

I won't deny that a lot or even most people play DayZ to PvP but in the end they will not end up playing Vanilla DayZ but rather a mod. That's why this would be better as a mod rather than an option for Vanilla DayZ.

12 hours ago, dorn956 said:

Let's take a setting from a show like The Walking Dead, or Z Nation: After watching these series and getting a good idea for how survival works their, most bandits decide to attack people who look just like new spawns in DayZ (no weaponry, clearly nothing on them) because they feel like they have a stash somewhere or might have something valuable to them.

I tend to disagree with this. I have no idea for Z Nation but this doesn't count for The Walking Dead, that's for sure. Remember the group near the shore which got robbed by Rick and their group because they had guns? There are plenty of examples where people got robbed because they had shit in The Walking Dead.

But what if everyone spawned with something valuable? Everyone would be hunted, and everyone would also be the hunter. Not just a high pop server with at least twenty players that have less than so much as a crude axe to defend themselves versus people who server hop to get gear that's otherwise impossible to find unless you travel really far out and get geared up to come down to where all the players are (which is where they spawn) and where they mainly encounter new spawns.

I don't think it's a good idea. It would make survival way more easier and it's a survival game after all. Besides, trying to survive encounters or rather avoid them when you're a fresh spawn counts as survival too in my opinion. Also coastal warfare where people go up to the north and then go back down to the south isn't that common anymore these days.

Watch any dayz stream of people doing PvP in Elektro.. Bet that only 1/4 players they kill are new spawns that can't defend themselves. Sad part is 2/4 of them will be attempting to get a cheeky K.O. to gear up and then just do the same darn thing the first guy was doing anyways...

Why would I want to watch a person who PvP's in Elektro? I'd rather watch someone who runs into people randomly instead of playing on a server where 80 % is in Elektro PvPing. Of course they are going to find a lot of fresh spawns there because people can or will spawn there. It wouldn't even surprise me that people will suicide to get back to Elektro to try and grab the gear of their body.

Do we really think that when DayZ goes live as a full-fledged game after beta testing that players will stay for very long? At this rate we'll end up like Titanfall. Players will love it for the first 10 days then will decline in population by the 11th drastically.

I'm putting myself in the eyes of a consumer who never played this game before. They spawn in with literally nothing, and walk around only to get shot by players with good gear then are like "wtf just happened"? Then they get lost in a town with Russian signs that they can't read, and starve to death before they find another player that won't attack them for what they have.

That's what DayZ is all about or at least it should be. DayZ has or is going to have a learning curve to it. I believe the or one of the developers even said that it doesn't matter how many people end up playing Vanilla DayZ. They are making Vanilla DayZ for a certain audience, an audience who would like to experience an hardcore survival game.

• Like 2

I think it's a fine idea, but maybe make a gun with the clip most expensive. Get that, or simple melee weapon with small backpack, or make it random. Definitely, that could add some variety to basic start. At least allowing for some minimal changes.

But, I still think some kind of difficulty levels should be introduced. Like, only normal (which is easy) difficulty servers should have this idea as one of the options, all visible when browsing servers. Hardcore servers should have some more options, which when all checked, should make hardcorest hardcore server. If it's too much developing wise, then there definately should be a mod for something like starting gear.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 5:16 AM, IMT said:

I won't deny that a lot or even most people play DayZ to PvP but in the end they will not end up playing Vanilla DayZ but rather a mod. That's why this would be better as a mod rather than an option for Vanilla DayZ.

I tend to disagree with this. I have no idea for....

Oh how far we've come @IMT !

Two years later and DayZ has taken a dramatic turn in the right direction! I'd like to say with the new addition of modded servers that certain aspects of the development side of the game are now being tweaked with mods where my original suggesting from this post was not even necessary. Just yesterday I hopped back on since the release of beta to experience 1.0 for myself. I jumped into a recommended server from one of my friends and came to find that finding food was not too difficult, gearing up in general was easy (finding common weaponry like home defense shotguns and pistols with their respective munitions), and the experience was overall more positive. I hadn't encountered any players since I chose to play on a low pop server, but I did encounter many many zombies. Some which caught me off guard to the point where I had to fire on them immediately to defend myself and attracted a horde. A minute later I found myself locked in a small port-o-potty shed outside of a barn shooting zombies in the head through the crack for the next ten minutes. The sense of danger and intensity was their. The value of my players life was their. My objective was to get to my friends on the North-West side of the map. Where I spawned? The South-East, of course. Two hours in and I only have traverse about 20% of the journey since running everywhere is impossible now and is quite penalizing on your player's health and wellness. The singleplayer experience was enjoyable, and I look forward to my first PvP encounter in 1.0 ! 

:)

35 minutes ago, dorn956 said:

Oh how far we've come @IMT !

Two years later and DayZ has taken a dramatic turn in the right direction! I'd like to say with the new addition of modded servers that certain aspects of the development side of the game are now being tweaked with mods where my original suggesting from this post was not even necessary. Just yesterday I hopped back on since the release of beta to experience 1.0 for myself. I jumped into a recommended server from one of my friends and came to find that finding food was not too difficult, gearing up in general was easy (finding common weaponry like home defense shotguns and pistols with their respective munitions), and the experience was overall more positive. I hadn't encountered any players since I chose to play on a low pop server, but I did encounter many many zombies. Some which caught me off guard to the point where I had to fire on them immediately to defend myself and attracted a horde. A minute later I found myself locked in a small port-o-potty shed outside of a barn shooting zombies in the head through the crack for the next ten minutes. The sense of danger and intensity was their. The value of my players life was their. My objective was to get to my friends on the North-West side of the map. Where I spawned? The South-East, of course. Two hours in and I only have traverse about 20% of the journey since running everywhere is impossible now and is quite penalizing on your player's health and wellness. The singleplayer experience was enjoyable, and I look forward to my first PvP encounter in 1.0 ! 

🙂

Did you just quote a message from June 2017? Why? We haven't come far at all. Vanilla is still piss easy, development is slower than a snail and modding can't reach its full potential yet because no documentation has been released whatsoever. In fact, DayZ is currently at its low point in all of its development. No communication, slow to almost no progress, broken promises, etc. Back in that time I was optimistic and still hopeful. Now there is no good word I can put out for the development of this game, so you're quoting the wrong guy/post here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Did you just quote a message from June 2017? Why? We haven't come far at all. Vanilla is still piss easy, development is slower than a snail and modding can't reach its full potential yet because no documentation has been released whatsoever. In fact, DayZ is currently at its low point in all of its development. No communication, slow to almost no progress, broken promises, etc. Back in that time I was optimistic and still hopeful. Now there is no good word I can put out for the development of this game, so you're quoting the wrong guy/post here.

Lol. You know what? Never mind. You're absolutely right. Wrong guy. My bad.

15 hours ago, dorn956 said:

I jumped into a recommended server from one of my friends and came to find that finding food was not too difficult, gearing up in general was easy (finding common weaponry like home defense shotguns and pistols with their respective munitions), and the experience was overall more positive. I hadn't encountered any players since I chose to play on a low pop server, but I did encounter many many zombies. Some which caught me off guard to the point where I had to fire on them immediately to defend myself and attracted a horde. A minute later I found myself locked in a small port-o-potty shed outside of a barn shooting zombies in the head through the crack for the next ten minutes. The sense of danger and intensity was their. The value of my players life was their. My objective was to get to my friends on the North-West side of the map. Where I spawned? The South-East, of course. Two hours in and I only have traverse about 20% of the journey since running everywhere is impossible now and is quite penalizing on your player's health and wellness. The singleplayer experience was enjoyable, and I look forward to my first PvP encounter in 1.0 ! 

🙂

I'm confused. None of the things you point out here changed. Nothing added any value to your character save for the fact that you can grow a full beard in 5 minutes. Keeping in mind this was something they introduced to add some sense of "experience" on your character.

Zombies were glitchy af in populated servers then... they still are now. There may be a couple more zombies... which doesn't really matter since they still glitch all over the fucking place as soon as you get 20 or more people in a server. 

Sense of danger? How is that different? Back then you could be alone with one other guy on a server, walk around a corner straight into him and eat a bullet. Now you can be alone with one other guy on a server, walk around a corner straight into him and eat a bullet.

The one thing that did change significantly was the stamina bar which, in your story, merely prevented you from doing what you wanted to do: meet your friends on the other edge of the map. 

So let me know how enjoyable your first PVP experience is on a glitchy high pop server after you complete your 10 hour journey to meet up with your friends and you get killed after getting stuck in a doorway while seeking cover and mauled to death by zombies 5 feet away from your character. 

1 hour ago, eno said:

I'm confused. None of the things you point out here changed. Nothing added any value to your character save for the fact that you can grow a full beard in 5 minutes. Keeping in mind this was something they introduced to add some sense of "experience" on your character.

Zombies were glitchy af in populated servers then... they still are now. There may be a couple more zombies... which doesn't really matter since they still glitch all over the fucking place as soon as you get 20 or more people in a server. 

Sense of danger? How is that different? Back then you could be alone with one other guy on a server, walk around a corner straight into him and eat a bullet. Now you can be alone with one other guy on a server, walk around a corner straight into him and eat a bullet.

The one thing that did change significantly was the stamina bar which, in your story, merely prevented you from doing what you wanted to do: meet your friends on the other edge of the map. 

So let me know how enjoyable your first PVP experience is on a glitchy high pop server after you complete your 10 hour journey to meet up with your friends and you get killed after getting stuck in a doorway while seeking cover and mauled to death by zombies 5 feet away from your character. 

Like I said. Nevermind. I'm not going to explain my point of view any further. If you see the glass half empty then that's your own fault. Carry on, close the thread. 

3 minutes ago, dorn956 said:

Like I said. Nevermind. I'm not going to explain my point of view any further. If you see the glass half empty then that's your own fault. Carry on, close the thread. 

The glass is actually overflowing because it is a quarter of the size they said it'd be.