Rekurv

Will night vision take away from Dayz ?

Hey guys,

After seeing the night vision goggles in the work in progress section I'm getting a bit worried they might take away from the game a bit. I remember in the original mod they were pretty hard to get (maybe only at chopper crashes) and running around in the dark with chem-lights and flares etc was still a thing. That was cool. Then pretty soon every hacker and his dog had them...that sucked. In Epoch mod NVGs were replaced 10 minutes after you died by a quick stop at the trader or your personal safe. So basically everyone had them, every night. Although I did enjoy Epoch (mainly for the base building,PVP, and vehicles) the NVGs totally ruined the survival aspect of the game for me. I love in Standalone how we have to use crafted torches, lamps, glow sticks etc. It puts everyone on an even playing field, where staying hidden in the dark sneaking around but potentially missing out on loot, or lighting up a house while waiting for the rain to stop are heavy choices. If we all have NVGs, all the torches and other cool lighting in the game wont really get used much.

Im not complaining or hating totally on NVGs as i see them as a possibility of making the game bearable for those that cant stand playing in darkness (and I cant deny they are lots of fun), however i really hope they will be hard to find and keep powered (if at all) as DayZ is the best survival game there is, and if everyone has NVGs..well..it might become more PVP fest that survival.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...hope everyone has a good weekend...

I believe they stated that they would be very rare. I think they will spawn at Tisy which will be hazardous at some point so it will be hard to get.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

You'll be more sucesfully in finding bulrap sacks for ghillie than finding night vision goggles.

• Like 1

There are times when I think people just simply need a helping hand... this is one of them.

There is no need to fear NVG's. Nor is there any need to even contemplate them right now. Let the game get finished, and released first. At that time, if there are issues, bring them up.

Until then, its senseless conjecture.

awesome, thanks guys. Glad to hear they will be very rare.

Irish: yeh i know the game is not yet finished, but I'm just remembering past experiences. Although they are 3 different games, they all share similar mechanics.

Whatever... people are not playing in night servers anyway. Seems that all the core players, the most creative ones, are just having DayZ dusting on the shelf. Maybe till 0.63.

Night Vision will not spoil anything, because ^^^^, also because you will not find it.

Well, I happen to share the OP's concern and I can't say I'm put at ease by the above. I'm not saying I'm panicking or something, but a group equipped with NVG (looted and stored over a long period of time) can easily dominate a server in the sense that it can deny access to big parts of the map without any counter-action by other players. Of course, I agree that we will see if this happens close to final release. It's just I don't see how NVG brings any benefits to the gameplay. So it's more of a question 'we could but should we'.

The 'rarity' argument doesn't really convince me because a 20-Megaton ICBM, even 'very rare', could also have a somewhat detrimental effect on the gameplay and hence has little reason to feature in DayZ.

But let's fix the gamma thing and sources of light first, shall we?

• Like 1

NVGs need to be properly balanced to have a place in DayZ without ruining it.

The goggles themselves need to be just about the rarest item in the game. As with real NVGs, they should have a severely limited view distance, to quote ATN, a real live manufacturer of  night vision: "We typically state that you can tell the difference between a male and a female or a dog and a deer at about 75 to 100 yards. However, if you were looking across an open field and there was a half moon out you could see a barn or a house 500 yards away." They absolutely should not be as they were in the mod or as they are in ArmA 3, where they basically just brighten up the scene and turn it green, none of the actual drawbacks of NVGs come across.

Then I believe they should have battery drain that makes operating them for long stretches of time pretty much unfeasible without carrying 20 extra batteries. Should be a situation where, if you have a set, you turn it on in short intervalls...say to loot a building a night.

Needless to say, you should not be able to use weapon sights of any kind. There is a reason every modern soldier has some sort of IR laser aiming device on their rifle, because you cannot use optics (much less iron sights) with NVGs on, unless you have a waaay forward mounted holosight and high-end binocular NVGs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rezarekshun said:

in land of blind one eye man is the king, in land of dark night vision man is OP

Until you sneak up and axe him in the back of the head because he is too focused on camping military tents.  ;)

54 minutes ago, klesh said:

Until you sneak up and axe him in the back of the head because he is too focused on camping military tents.  ;)

No you don't, because you don't cheat with gamma! :P

Or a wet ghillie make sense on the night.

The opponent from NVG user.