Sign in to follow this  
Henk Grunn

0.62 Sounds make it hard to differentiate

I tried 0.62, and I would like to make a remark on the sounds.

The new graphical overhaul is awesome. And the new sounds are very nice to.

However, there is something with the sound that makes it very hard to differentiate player sounds or environmental sounds. This basically results in always feeling someone is around you. Now some may say that this adds to the paranoid feeling. However, if you have a 2 or 3 hour play session, this will be bad from a tactical point of view and also it makes you ignore sounds after a while. I.o.w. for me as a lone player, this is very bad.

I am not the only one that experience this sounds behavior.  I've heard other mentioning that they also have the idea that they hear footsteps, or other noises, while walking (or even standing still) that makes it seem they hear other players.

Now i think there are 2 major parts of being aware of your surroundings. The first one is visually, so looking around if you see other players. The second one is sound. So listening to footsteps, etc. And you can't rely on sounds anymore, because it's impossible to differentiate, and like said, you become numb for sounds because of the environmental sounds.

Perhaps there are more people with the same experience?

• Like 3

I too hear random toned down footsteps occasionally when running in a field and can see that theres no one around and it made me feel like i'm going insane :)

Hehe I thought about this as well! 

Zombies making human footsteps gets me anxious occasionally, as well as there be a distinct sound of like a pinecone hitting the ground that sounds like a light step! That one always gets me a little worried. . 

But anyway, the topic of this subject is actually a good one! We should be trying really hard to figure out if someone is there, biting our tongue in fear or anxiety if people are actually around or if your mind is just playing tricks on you xD 

Glad me and my pal weren't alone. We were both discussing how we kept hearing footsteps when no one was around, not even any zombies. 

The current audio loop plays a random foot step sound every so many minutes depending on your environment. It sucks. They really need to move away from audio loops. They've been using them since day one. They've gotten much better, but looped audio always starts to annoy eventually. It makes the game seem cheap too. 

• Like 1

At regular intervals of time I can hear some weapon cocking sound like. The first times this  made me quite anxious, then I get used to it. Z's footsteps are the same of humans, but are more regular and easy to detect, unless they are aggroed.

As I said in another thread about the ambient sounds, THEY ARE TOO LOUD, compared to my footsteps. To hear my own footsteps clearly I have to turn the sound up and the ambient sounds gets to loud. Which again leads to hearing weird details in the ambient sounds that where supposed to be in the background. Like single foootsteps, and this buzzing sound of someting that reminds me of a highway in the distance.

And the birds, jeez tone down the birds please

This is where the devs can throw the game in the trash or make it worth their effort.  If they do the stupid sound trickery like so many other devs because they can't accomplish it with actual gameplay by creating tension where tension doesn't exist only for gameplay purposes the game becomes IMO a POS.  Like the stupid baby cries they added to 7D2D for no other reason...plain stupid, and makes you wonder about the devs mentality. The 7D2D devs pulled their heads out and changed it.

I haven't really heard any unwarranted sounds other than mis-represented directional sounds from zeds and your own footsteps which need to be fixed.  The sound lag can also make you feel someone is right on your back when it's just your footsteps catching up to you.  Most of the sounds are done well. 

• Like 1

This sounds fine to me. Just make in non-repetitive and not annoying. Forest sounds like a jungle tho.

If you only use a headset, or just 2 speakers you'll have a hard time understanding the surround sound side.  Software based surround is not even a consideration.

I have made an impression, that sometimes you just simply totally don't hear others footsteps.