Baty Alquawen

Exp Update 0.62.139835

I really don't understand why people were so annoyed by sounds because they didn't "see" their origin. Personally, I had 0 problems with the ambiant sound effects as they were.

It's a video game people!! I played literally hundreds of video games that had bird sound effects without having models and textures of birds directly linked to the sound effects.

There had always been bird and insect sound effects in ArmA2, ArmA3 and DayZ stand alone, yet no one ever complained until they made an updated, more dynamic and varied version of the ambient sound effects. Since they update, I've read many times people complaining about sound effects linked to "invisible" animals or insects. 

I hate to do this but I have to: In real life, do you go to great lengths to visually confirm to position of the dog you heard barking? The cricket you heard or the bird who sang?? Probably not, so it's not that important in a game...

P.S.: I just came back from experimental. There's still plenty of the non-directional/positional sound effects. Like crickets, birds or the "left" owl at night. They removed some, but there's still many there. Not sure what was the purpose of the selective removal. 

• Like 6

Last night I barbecued a survivor to test the sound of going crazy. Nothing for awhile and then I heard this insane laughter/cry/scream sound. Scared the crap out of me, cause I had the sound up pretty high. Ok that worked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

I really don't understand why people were so annoyed by sounds because they didn't "see" their origin. Personally, I had 0 problems with the ambiant sound effects as they were.

I mostly agree and I think that on balance, the sounds are a significant improvement over what we had, but I also think that:

a) The transitions between the different geographic areas are too abrupt,

b) The volume levels of the various noises could use some balancing,

c) The "loop" is too short and it sounds too repetitive,

d) In a perfect world, "outdoor" sounds should be muted when indoors,

e) Additional sounds, as randomized as possible, would help to offset the sensation that we are listening to s 30 second loop.

We've also had issues with vehicle sounds since we've had vehicles. Perhaps some of the refinement that we desire has to wait until some new technology is introduced in 0.63?

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

It's a video game people!! I played literally hundreds of video games that had bird sound effects without having models and textures of birds directly linked to the sound effects.

There had always been bird and insect sound effects in ArmA2, ArmA3 and DayZ stand alone, yet no one ever complained until they made an updated, more dynamic and varied version of the ambient sound effects. Since they update, I've read many times people complaining about sound effects linked to "invisible" animals or insects. 

I hate to do this but I have to: In real life, do you go to great lengths to visually confirm to position of the dog you heard barking? The cricket you heard or the bird who sang?? Probably not, so it's not that important in a game...

P.S.: I just came back from experimental. There's still plenty of the non-directional/positional sound effects. Like crickets, birds or the "left" owl at night. They removed some, but there's still many there. Not sure what was the purpose of the selective removal. 

Yeah, I didn't mind how the sounds were except for the crickets. If it makes your ears muffled a bit, then that's a bad sign, specially if the nights are long in DayZ.

I also don't mind these changes though because they are in fact much better now. If they can make the sounds which are played near/in towns can be on par with the sounds close/away from towns that would be great. You can clearly hear the difference between them. :)

• Like 2

As far as birds are concerned....

I was just outside in my busy NYC neighborhood, with construction, traffic, and a lot of other noise pollution, and do you know what I heard in the background?

Constant bird chatter.

• Like 10

Uhhh hope it is not too quiet now. Yesterday on exp. It was good, so there were sometimes times when it was almost too quiet. I do not know how it is planned for the future, and since the Exp server x12 run fast somewhat difficult. But there are very specific animal noise times in nature ... so it is quite quiet just before a big thunderstorm ... but the wind is loud. With me in front of the house it is definitely by nature, never silent, only always a bit different sounding. (In the moment learn the "red tails" fly .. that is very loud from the parents, because the cats also know).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

-snip-put some punk rock on-snip-

I don't care for much punk, but there's this....

Congrats to all the Exp regulars for testing long hours the last two weeks so this could be pushed to Stable quickly. Good work everyone! :)

• Like 9

I played a little, the ambient sound is much better than before, especially at day time. But like others mentioned at night time near towns/buldings the "whir" sound which is permanent/constantly looped is still to loud/annoying. In my opinion there shouldn't be a such a huge difference between towns and meadow/forrest or at least it should be vice versa. A ghost town can't be louder then a forrest/meadow. 

The owl hoot at night which appears near towns is not bad, but not really believable for me. We have brown/tawny owls here in Bavaria (Germany) and I know the pattern of the singing (always two parts):

"HuUUUUuh"... followed by a halt for some seconds and then "hu, hu hu huHUUUUh"

Last but not least, the lighting, especially at dusk or dawn is just staggering... I really really loved it, thanks for this dear devs! You gave me goosbumps.  

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

Congrats to all the Exp regulars for testing long hours the last two weeks so this could be pushed to Stable quickly. Good work everyone! :)

It was/is brutal!  I was axed to death by a friendly. He said "Hi dude" I said "Hi" and continue on running out a building, stop to check  my inventory and "Whack" .. dead. 

Spawn in a barn seconds before two guys ran in. They called me some nasty names and ran away laughing.

Was shot dead twice, and beaten by Z's once. Met one guy and he asked if I saw his buddy and then we separated peacefully. 

One time my client completely  froze. as in I hear a sound and see movement once every 4~5 seconds and everything streaked. Terminated the process and rebooted. No dumps was produced.

I like the sounds except for the wind sound is really load sometimes.

And then there is this sign...

h0xdMF9.jpg

Edited by ScipioII
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

AND

A big big Thank to the complete Dev-Team, all make a great Job, take this was come from Heart from all Testers, i are really sure.

(I do not want to slip like a snail .. it's just like that)

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

Is stable 0.62 same build as todays experimental 0.62?

Yup, it is!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

Is stable 0.62 same build as todays experimental 0.62?

Yes they are at 0.62.139835

1 hour ago, ScipioII said:

Spawn in a barn seconds before two guys ran in. They called me some nasty names and ran away laughing.

WHY do people do this?! If the other player is non threatening, just go on your merry way. Seriously pisses me off. 

• Like 3

Just crushed an annoying machete wielding idiot's skull with a cooking pot. I had a rough day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baroness said:

WHY do people do this?! If the other player is non threatening, just go on your merry way. Seriously pisses me off. 

It's just idiots overly compensating because they're lacking in a certain area..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, koffeekage said:

Its sorta weird that there was no update for the stable branch forum.

Its baty's birthday. Give her a break ?

• Like 1

Changes are always welcome.
Loved the new ambient sounds.
I hope you remembered to make the sound of the fire (the fire does not make a sound).
I take it to ask, is there any change even at 0.62 going to Stable? Still have corrections?
Hugs!

Not there with ambient sound...birds still sound a lot like Tanoa to me.  Need some seagull bird sounds for the coast and pigeon sounds for the cities.  They need to be mellow and not constant.  Can we do that?

• Like 2

Gonna check out the sound later on.

Please remove the lens flare tho, it's irritating as shit :D

Hey Baty 

What about "Visual Update : Roads" ? Any new for ROADS ?

Thank you :)

Edited by FatihScope
  • Like 1