Sign in to follow this  
Mantasisg

Underground Structures/Caves/Bases

In latest QnA senior map designer said that underground structures couldn't work properly because of tech side, and that it would take a lot of "rebuilding from scratch". 

And I don't understand any part. DayZ has multiple light sources, incredibly nicely working internal building shadows, and superb shadows overall, day and night transition (from daylight to darkness). What else would you need to have an underground place ?

As for rebuilding from scratch, I don't understand that either, as it would probably require nothing much more than entry/exit points objects on top, maybe some ventilation, or escape points here and there, how would it need redoing any area from scratch ?

I recall initially them initially (waaaay back) wanting instanced versions of underground bases.  Load into them like an interior cell in a Bethesda game.  Guess that isn't going to happen.

They would have to expand upon the map if they wished to add Caves or other Underground areas - Or they'd have to remodel content already to do so.

The interesting thing is, the ground levels would have to be configured to either some kind of pit, or they would just place rocks on top of the ground structure. 

If they do decide to do so, it would be pretty neat I am sure, but they have a lot of great things they could do even before this - Like a Boating DLC that gives a larger island to the south of Chernarus (Utes)

DBLI-KMUAAAhRrj.jpg:large

They're not impossible, just difficult to make.

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Like 3

Whats difficult to make there ? You model an object, and model an entrance, thats it. My guess is that there are problems with lighting, I guess there would be too much light in those closed areas during night. I guess Night/Day is simply a global thing, and as it would be day, it couldn't be night in a cave like it should be lol

This screenshot by Oliver just proves that, that basement should be deadly dark.

Would love underground structures anyway, ofcourse it would trigger endless wishlist for darkness in those places, maybe someday huh totally not a priority

Edited by Mantasisg

Thats a problem with the playercontroller... you can glitch under the surface, and this are the break of caves. Maybe...new controller new chance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

Whats difficult to make there ? You model an object, and model an entrance, thats it. My guess is that there are problems with lighting, I guess there would be too much light in those closed areas during night. I guess Night/Day is simply a global thing, and as it would be day, it couldn't be night in a cave like it should be lol

This screenshot by Oliver just proves that, that basement should be deadly dark.

Lighting is a part of it. But the bigger problem is creating the area to place an "underground" object. DayZ's (and Arma's) map editor isn't as easy as some others out on the market, you can't mold and shape at your own leisure.

When it comes down to it, it's just not worth the effort.

Edited by OliverPlotTwist

But making caves in rock structures above ground should be possible right? I don't see how it would be different from a building with a second floor in essence. Would be nice to have many smaller and larger caves around the map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OliverPlotTwist said:

Lighting is a part of it. But the bigger problem is creating the area to place an "underground" object. DayZ's (and Arma's) map editor isn't as easy as some others out on the market, you can't mold and shape at your own leisure.

Doesn't make sense. It shouldn't be much different from multi stores building, or bridges... 

44 minutes ago, nl said:

But making caves in rock structures above ground should be possible right? I don't see how it would be different from a building with a second floor in essence. Would be nice to have many smaller and larger caves around the map.

Oh my heart bleeding, i miss so mutch my home in the rocks on the hight to Cap Golova... my sweet home....i drink my tears ..blubb  (stuffed)

This would by possible ...rocks on the ground to build caves.  snif..

I honestly dont understand the "problem" with making caves either. We enter houses all the time in the game...u know, rooms. Whats the problem with making a "house" that looks like a cave?

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, svisketyggeren said:

I honestly dont understand the "problem" with making caves either. We enter houses all the time in the game...u know, rooms. Whats the problem with making a "house" that looks like a cave?

Good point... and hope of a answer from one Developer. I mean the real problem of upstacked rocks to caves, or equal on Tisy the bunker house, this are only a big objekt insertet on a hole on ground. (Maybe a problem with the coordinate system..i dont now) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hysterics said:

Don't you even mention DLC you stupid piece of shit, no one is going to fork out more money on this broken ass game. Adding some boats and hoes won't change that. They have to actually make this a GAME first.

Acting pretty hostile there for a game that you're spending time on in their forums. . 

Maybe play the game and stop bitching, eh? 

1msbgx.jpg

• Like 2