RpXaIs9.jpg

There are three problems with the 'hunting scope':

1. Magnification: it's much too low.
2. Reticle: it's not shaped right.
3. Zeroing: this... is also wrong.

Here's how to correct it:

1. MAGNIFICATION

It should be adjustable from 4x to 12x.

Right now this scope tops out at 8.3x zoom (opticsZoomMin = 0.05). This scope is modelled on a Zeiss Terra. We know it's the 4-12x version because early on it was called 'optic_hunting_scope_12x' and the model's texture shows a 12x magnification setting (we also know it's the 4-12x42, as opposed to 4-12x50, because of the external dimensions).

To get the number for zoom we divide minFov of character by the desired magnification, this way, someone looking at a distant object with a scope of n magnification sees that object n times larger than someone using their character's bare eyes (same as ARMA).

Character minFov is 0.4143 last time I checked, so divide by 4 and 12 which gives us:

opticsZoomMin = 0.0345
opticsZoomMax = 0.1036
opticsZoomInit = 0.1036

Note to this section: I believe the 3-9x42 model has identical external dimensions, so this scope could be given 3-9x magnification instead of 4-12x. However, in this case it would be nice if the optic texture was edited to reflect this. Since texture and names say 12x, I'm using 12x for now.

2. RETICLE
The current reticle has incorrect and very strange dimensions.

It's patterned after a 'Duplex'-type reticle, with thicker bars that narrow to fine crosshairs in the centre, but the bars are far too short. Those bars need to come in much further. For reference, the thin crosshair portion of reticles like this, at ~8x magnification, will typically span several inches at 100 yards. At the same distance, with its 8.3 power, the thin section of the reticle in DayZ spans about 14 feet!

The exact dimensions of the reticle are available from the manufacturer. Here's a mockup based on those dimensions.

Current DayZ reticle (incorrect dimensions)
K1hKChy.png

Proposed reticle with correct dimensions (note that the top of the bottom post now gives another useful point of aim)
FJC3Xs4.png

Current DayZ hunting scope reticle + magnification (range ~200 m)
sAYtf3o.png

Proposed hunting scope reticle + magnification (range ~200 m)
bCUEkuZ.png

Rangefinding with duplex reticles
Using the duplex reticle is fairly simple. Let's say the space between post tips measures around 6" at 100 yards at maximum magnification.

ezf7X4C.jpg

Say you see a whitetail deer and bracket it with the duplex, it takes up half the space (3" at 100 yards). A whitetail has a chest about 18" deep, so this deer is at:

18 ÷ 3 * 100 = 600 yards.

This can of course be used with human dimensions as well.

Note: the Terra 4-12x42 is also available with Zeiss' RZ8 reticle. This reticle has BDC marks for ranges out to 800 yards (ie, similar to ACOG). Reasons I chose standard duplex-type reticle instead: better represents the average hunting scope than a proprietary BDC reticle, better for game balance if higher-tier scopes are added (mil dot etc), RZ8 works only on one specific magnification (not the highest, and we can't tell magnifications between low and high, so unusable as intended), RZ8 can be used with .308 but is not optimal, RZ8 uses yards and not metres, duplex-type reticle is easy for devs to correct by simply making some specific adjustments.

3. ZEROING

Two options here:

1. Remove the zeroing function, give the scope a fixed zero at short range (ca. 100 m)
2. Scope should only zero to 600 m

Let's go over them...

Option 1: REMOVE THE ZEROING FUNCTION, GIVE THE SCOPE A FIXED ZERO

This scope has capped hunting turrets. They are not intended to be dialed up in the field.

You take the scope out of the box, mount it on your rifle, fire a shot which probably hits some distance away from where you where aiming, unscrew the protective caps and adjust the turrets, repeat until the crosshairs match the point of impact. Then you screw the caps back on and leave it alone.

Some problems with 'zeroing' and this scope:

1. Before making adjustments, you would have to unscrew the protective caps, which isn't a feature in DayZ (visual issue).
2. The turrets have hash marks, but they aren't numbered, so it would be easy to lose track of the turret setting.
3. The turrets don't reset to zero, so if you've sighted in your rifle at, say, 100 m, and start playing with the settings, it could be a little hard to find that 100 m setting again.

veP2edJ.png

Is it possible to dial in elevation on the fly? Of course. You could even label the turrets yourself with a little strip of tape, a felt pen and some field testing, and end up with a turret marked in 100 m increments. However, it's a little strange to suppose that every survivor who picks up this scope also has specific turret tapes for whatever weapon he happens to find. 

The scope was designed for people to zero their rifle at one specific range and then leave it there while hunting. Set and forget.

So, with fixed zero, what distance?

Probably 100 m, maybe a bit further. This scope is used on weapons from .22s to .308s, so we would need a compromise zero that can work for all of those weapons.

Option 2: SCOPE SHOULD ONLY ZERO TO 600 M

This scope can't 'zero' to 800 m with the weapons in game.

According to specs, this scope has only 40 MOA of elevation adjustment (1 MOA = 1/60 degrees). Mounted on the average rifle, that means 20 MOA up, 20 MOA down. 20 MOA will send .308/7.62 ball to a max of ~600 m (rounding up to nearest 100 m)*. Therefore, this scope should have zeroing from 100-600 m. If you want to shoot further, aim over the target.

The fact that someone gave this scope 100-800 m zeroing is probably thanks to ARMA 2, in which several weapons had that capability, kind of as 'default'.

Note:in real life, with the .22 and 7.62x39, this scope would not even reach to 600 m. I chose to base the max zeroing on the .308 because: 

-the long-range capabilities of .308 weapons are more important to gameplay
-.22 zeroing doesn't work anyways at 600 m, or 500 m, or even 400 m
-7.62x39 zeroing also 'breaks' before reaching 600 m

*.200 G7, 875 m/s (Winchester Model 70), sea level, ICAO Standard Atmosphere, 2.54 cm HoB

FINAL COMMENT

With a fixed zero, or a more realistic reduced 'zeroing' range, this would make a nice space for a higher-tier scope with a longer 'zeroing' range and a mil dot reticle.

In other words, bring back the 'long range scope' in some form. Then we have a basic hunting scope that can be more commonly found, and a true 'long range scope' which is rarer.

In fact, it would be nice to have an entire range of optic options for the civilian rifles, but that can wait for another topic.

tl;dr: scope should zoom 4-12x instead of current 8.3x, only zero to 600 m max instead of current 800 m, and the reticle should have the proper dimensions.

• Like 4

I'd love for the scope's zoom to be adjustable. That would be so awesome.

But what would be more awesome is if they get around to adding PiP for scopes. Hell that would make sniping in this game amazing.

Well thought out post! I agree and like the ideas of fixed magnifications for realism and making scopes feel more specific.

Im all for improving realism, especially on weapons, but I would think this would fall into the late beta stage adjustments and balances, or even post final release. I say put these types of ideas in the Dev's back pocket, since I agree it is a good one, but focus on core features and beta first. A better scope isnt going to change anything for DayZ, but features will. Don't spend time on something like this when there so many other areas that the devs could spend their time on that would have a lot more meaningful impact. Very thought out post, but not something to really consider right now. 

Edited by JBURNS489
  • Like 1

Agree, agree, agree. Indeed, its not the right time for ideas like that while waiting for the new playercontroller and all the new improvements  on weapons in .63! I'm curious what it will be like.

Are you a hunter or weapon dealer? Awsome knowledge. (i learned a bit)

I also thought abot, atatching a scope to a weapon should not work without adjusting. (but i have no clue about weapons in reallive!) Dealing with a weapon and a scope should be more difficult and dangerus. Without any knowledge and a weapon, found on the floor with a scope freshly atatched, zeroing at 400meters, the first shot shoud never hit what expected. You are just loud with a gun if u dont know what you do and seriously no harm to other players or Zeds.

Would be great if the devs nerf guns in such way when i look at all those kiddies, running around juggling with 3 weapons and acting with the accuracy of a western-hero!

In an apocalyptic landscape I would expect "finding a gun" like:

1. Mostlikely damaged, so you have to clean it before use.

2. You have to test the guns with ironsights too and it should not be that accurat. So you have to know your gun!  The same goes for adding a scope with the ability to adjust it!

I hope this Idea ends up in a Save-folder of some Devs, because i think thats a kind of detail, that makes DayZ unique in difference to other "shooter games"!!