Sign in to follow this  
cwb

Game fades from light to dark when turning.

Hello all.

I couldnt find any search results for this problem, so Im asking here in a new post. I recently decided to reinstall all the ARMAs I have on steam, I have them all but ARMA 3 and Im thinking of getting that too. I also wanted to try the DayZ mod. So far I like the DayZ mod a lot. But the problem Im having is the game fades from nice and bright, to very dark, when I turn my character. It goes back and forth from light to dark and light again, even if Im standing out in a very well lit sunny area it still does it. If I just stand still it doesnt change, it only does it when I change the direction Im facing. Its extremely annoying, and is ruining the game for me. Nothing should be fading in and out like that on the brightness of the game, when Im in very well lit areas. If I run into a dark area, ok I can understand. But not while Im in well lit areas and there is no reason at all for things to magically fade to darkness. Ive heard if you character gets injured that sometimes it can effect this, but it does it even when my character has nothing wrong with him. Also, night time is so dark for me its 100% unplayable. If I join a server and its night, I literally have to find another server as I cant see ANYTHING. I like dark games, but thats insane, so I think something is wrong with my game/graphics/etc. Also, even though I turn my gamma up, if I check it again after a bit it changes. Its as if it wont stay where I put it.

So does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a fix for it? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

yeah that happens at dusk and dawn.  you turn a bit and go blind for 10 seconds like you have a head injury.  it's annoying as hell.  I just find another server or keep looking down

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

yeah that happens at dusk and dawn.  you turn a bit and go blind for 10 seconds like you have a head injury.  it's annoying as hell.  I just find another server or keep looking down

Thanks for your reply. Ya Ive tried different servers, its all the same light to dark to light fading junk, extremely annoying. And it happens at all times, not just dusk or dawn it happens in the middle of the day. Looking down does seem to brighten it up, but its not really a solution more of temporary work around. I think there is something graphically, maybe a ini file or something that could be tweaked to stop the silly fading. Anyone know if that is possible??

Edited by cwb

On 6/1/2017 at 9:02 AM, cwb said:

Thanks for your reply. Ya Ive tried different servers, its all the same light to dark to light fading junk, extremely annoying. And it happens at all times, not just dusk or dawn it happens in the middle of the day. Looking down does seem to brighten it up, but its not really a solution more of temporary work around. I think there is something graphically, maybe a ini file or something that could be tweaked to stop the silly fading. Anyone know if that is possible??

Not sure if same dude on reddit but it's basically simulated eye adaptation where the camera (your eyes in game) adjusts its aperture to better suit the scene its in. So if you're inside looking at the sun through a window it reduces its aperture size to prevent damage to the camera lens (irl) and then when you turn around and go to a dark area it increases the size to allow more light in to make it more visible. Irl your eyes don't adjust as quickly as cameras or in DayZ so it becomes very noticeable in-game especially with the annoying gradient banding with the sky.

edit: also this feature was inherited from arma 2 iirc.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 9:47 PM, DannyDog said:

Not sure if same dude on reddit but it's basically simulated eye adaptation where the camera (your eyes in game) adjusts its aperture to better suit the scene its in. So if you're inside looking at the sun through a window it reduces its aperture size to prevent damage to the camera lens (irl) and then when you turn around and go to a dark area it increases the size to allow more light in to make it more visible. Irl your eyes don't adjust as quickly as cameras or in DayZ so it becomes very noticeable in-game especially with the annoying gradient banding with the sky.

edit: also this feature was inherited from arma 2 iirc.

Ahh ok thanks for the info. Its cool that ARMA has such features as to try and be as realistic as possible, but the constant fading in and out and in and out from light to dark is overkill to be honest. Is there any possible way to at least tone it down?

Edited by cwb