Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 30 May 2017

20 hours ago, joe_mcentire said:

@Sumrak you speak of increased detail and new vegetation. quick question there: does this also include smaller props similar to - let's say - fungi? from the top of my head: hornet's/wasp's nests, anthills, scalable cobwebs even..?

Not sure about cobwebs - how those would look in the environment with the current tech we have, but hornet nests and anthills is something that is definitely doable. We will see - as mentioned, work on upgrading the environment definitely does not end with .62, we will do our best to make the environment of Chernarus best we can in given time :) Just to give you an example - I would personally want to see more signs of forest harvesting - fences for the clearings with young trees, piles of branches and cut tree stumps.

• Like 6

Is it too much to make it so that grass gets down in small radius where there are items on the ground? I would guess dev team has think about that also? I would prefer that kind of solution for items in grass.

Edited by St. Jimmy

On 31.5.2017 at 1:29 PM, OneStep said:

But I personally think that the way you want picking up objects to be (Big prompt popping up telling PRESS F TO PICK UP) is really immersion breaking, even more so than the current "inventory strafing over objects" method.
And please, never do item glowing/highlighting - that would be even worse imo. (The less ui and artificial visual aid the better, best way of doing that would be to make everything optional so that all players are satisfied)

On 31.5.2017 at 4:15 PM, OliverPlotTwist said:

I have to disagree with you here. I find the "inventory strafing over objects" method way more immersion breaking. I shouldn't need to open my inventory every time I want to check a car for loot. Sure, the prompt they are using right doesn't look great but I'm sure that is just temporary while they get it working.

have to agree with@OliverPlotTwist here. it's a bit like seeing someone playing PokemonGo. players become literal zombies when they scavenge with their inventories open. It's really just an exploit due to the fact that the game has up to now a somewhat broken loot-spawn system. loot spawns in objects or under them and in all kind of places. In a way you are forced to do the ol' 'ventory scavengeroo at times.

@OneStep what you also have to consider is the fact that you make a mockery out of the night and dark lighting in general. You can and will simply cheat away this impairment by using the inventory all the way. Have you ever seen someone take out a torch or chemlight and crouch to look for loot under a table or chair during night? Me neither...

On 31.5.2017 at 4:21 PM, kopo79 said:

"vicinity search" should be taken off but this new system should be like that your cursor should be precise on top of the item to show any info.not automatically move on item.
in that gif,it looks like that cursor  moves automatically on top of the item

or maybe when your cursor is little aside from the item,info is shown almost transparent.the more close your cursor is on item,more clear the info comes.

I think the whole idea of this implementation IS to get a way from as @PeterNespesny said a "pixel-hunt" for loot. It makes life so much easier. it also adds a natural sense of peripheral awareness which was - before VR - not really possible to adequately reproduce in games.
think about that scenario in real life:
do you go to a door and have to look and focus precisely on the door handle in order to get that thing open? no, your peripheral awareness tells you where to place your hand. You might need a quick look to analyze the type of door handle to figure out if you have to turn a knob or push a handle.

Now look at the gif below

giphy.gif

That's exactly what i just described above: look at the handle (more or less) and then "peripheral awareness" sets in; you can move your cursor some way off the handle into the door and still open it. imo it makes sense in both ways: take away a certain clunkiness and enable ease of use and enable a sense of realism by adding a certain amount of peripheral awareness.

cheers

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sumrak said:

Not sure about cobwebs - how those would look in the environment with the current tech we have, but hornet nests and anthills is something that is definitely doable. We will see - as mentioned, work on upgrading the environment definitely does not end with .62, we will do our best to make the environment of Chernarus best we can in given time :) Just to give you an example - I would personally want to see more signs of forest harvesting - fences for the clearings with young trees, piles of branches and cut tree stumps.

interesting. so can we also expect harvesters then :P?

walking-tractor.jpg

On a different note: the overhaul has blown more then some fresh air into chernarus but what is still missing is that:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/141790-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement/

would also endorse the recent discussion about that at reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/6efk3u/dayz_needs_this_midrange_terrain_texture/

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

@joe_mcentire I completely agree with you about the door's stuff and the new ui's iteration. It's more simple understand where your hands now actually are placed, and I think is more useful, because you can finally understand what are you lookin at.

Edited by jostino
  • Like 1

Finally get to play again tomorrow since I'm off work! Will probably want to trek with some good friends or even some new ones if anyone wants to tag along! 

I'll probably see what Rene is up to, if he wants more shenanigans ^_^

8 hours ago, joe_mcentire said:

walking-tractor.jpg

On a different note: the overhaul has blown more then some fresh air into chernarus but what is still missing is that:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/141790-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/6efk3u/dayz_needs_this_midrange_terrain_texture/

If you've never played spintires there's a mechanic where you manually load logs onto your truck from a lumber yard.

It is probably the most relaxing, coolest thing ive done in a car game ever.

Not to mention how good the truck physics are in this game :)

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Espa said:

Finally get to play again tomorrow since I'm off work! Will probably want to trek with some good friends or even some new ones if anyone wants to tag along! 

I'll probably see what Rene is up to, if he wants more shenanigans ^_^

You know where to find us if you want to tag along with us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Is it too much to make it so that grass gets down in small radius where there are items on the ground? I would guess dev team has think about that also? I would prefer that kind of solution for items in grass.

Most common grass models are roughly 2x2 meters, not sure how that would look when you would drop pile of ammo on ground for example.

10 hours ago, joe_mcentire said:

..picture..

Haha, no, although some wrecks of for example v3s with crane for logs would be nice to have too!

Functional vehicle that would be capable of picking and carying logs is a whole lot different story though :P I remember spending quite lot of time in Spintires doing that, such a fun game with awesome physics and visuals :)

About the mid range texture - Chernarus uses mid range texture (without it, it would look waaay worse). Now if we are satisfied how it currently looks that is a bit different story. Given the fact that it is basically just one texture for the whole map, some compromises have to be made.

• Like 5

@Sumrak First off I'm loving the new additions to the map. So thank you guys for your great work!

What I do not see much of though are signs of attempts to survive the apocalypse.

Besides the abandoned cars at checkpoints there is not much in the way of signs that people tried to survive the apocalypse (correct me if I'm wrong)

For example an (abandoned) camp in the forrest where a family tried to hide from the all the chaos.

Maybe they commited suicide when they had no other option and they're bodies are now buried near the camp.

Or an abandoned building that was used as shelter by a group of survivors that got overrun by infected, where sleeping bags are littered on the ground.

Another example could be an attempt by someone to warn others that there are infected locked inside a house by writing "infected inside" on the doors, or maybe "help us" in an attempt to draw help from other survivors.

There are countless examples of this when you look at shows like the walking dead and the likes.

Things like this add greatly to the atmosphere of the game and help give at a much more eerie feel.

Are there plans to add elements similar to these examples in the game at a later stage?

Edited by Trnc84

Maybe they commited suicide when they had no other option and they're bodies are now buried near the camp.

Wait, who buried them? 

Edited by lets

@Sumrak you speak in your Q&A about how shuffled interiors or more variety in interiors were an option. Has there already gone some work into that concept? It sounds to be a quite reasonable idea with (hopefully) minimized effort.

I do also think about two concrete examples which were shown to us over the last years:

procedural color changes

Procedural_Color.jpg

and small object interaction

So i guess both mechanics could also be applied to buildings and their interiors? 

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2017 at 5:31 PM, lets said:

Wait, who buried them? 

In thhese types of scenarios the father usually goes last lol so he buries the family

I would also like to know when procedural coloring is expected to go live?

On the subject of grass flattening.   

Would it be be too taxing on the system if running through grass caused the flattening?

Not walking or jogging, just running. 

It would be an awesome way to track and would give the cautious and careful a way around being tracked.