kopo79

Basebuilding....why?

Will bases be somehow attached to the playtime, or you'll actually have to protect it 24/24 seven days per week ? This will result in people doing ridiculous things, like forming 24h active squads protecting bases full time lol

I once had two barrels with nice loot hidden in some ruins, they were never spotted in a week somehow. I think thats only base worth building haha

Maybe bases would benefit in some specific gameplay modes which would potentially come to DayZ one day. Or as a mods if possible. I would love to have defined teams in DayZ, actual possibility to choose what you are playing for and building/protecting bases of heroes or bandits. Wouldn't it make sense ? Wasn't there mod like that in DayZ mod ?

On 5/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, kopo79 said:

Basebuilding,what i have read,its one of the most waited feature in game.
i have seen some art pictures about bases  and they seem big,with electricity and stuff.
so,you gather wood,metal,generators,etc and then its ready,what is your benefits from the base?
you see so much trouble to build one but is there some reward?

Establish dominance, wrap barbed wire on a bat, make randoms call you governor. 

• Like 1

Base Building is always fun. It's the chance to think about a strategic design, building in defence and accessibility and also to see what you can create. 7 Days to Die is a great example of base building - you can literally make anything you want as big as you want and it's a game in itself.

It's the creative part of a game and humans love being creative. It's how it's implemented that's the issue - Just look at Rust and how awful base building was there. If you didn't build in a thousand KM's in the sky AND adding columns where you had to work out where to place them so people couldn't build up next to your base (a simple exclusion zone would have sorted that issue out) then say goodbye to your base unless you were happy to be online 24/7.

Without a constant guard for your base, it starts to make them worthless OR you have to make them ridiculously hard to get inside. The ideal of your base is you design the base, you make the base, then you hope someone attacks you whilst you're IN your base and hope your base holds out.

DayZ Tanoa with the prisoner mod thing, I forget the name, we had a blast with that and making a base was fun and it was hard to get inside after you knew what you were doing. Newbie's would get their base compromised but that's how everyone learned how to buiold their next base lol.

So careful thought needs to go into base building because do you want a game with stupid, ugly bases? Oh it's the Exile mod for Arma 3 - that made really ugly bases that defied gravity. Not really fitting in with the theme of DayZ if you allow that type of thing. Probably best to stick with fortifying existing structures but then where do you secure your cars?

As the map hasn't been made with basebuilding in mind, i.e. they haven't placed buildings that allow options to make bases. You need a garage to secure your car or a compound but how do you fix the massive holes in the walls? How do you stop people ghost hopping inside? Base building requires a lot of thought to get it right in DayZ.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Will bases be somehow attached to the playtime, or you'll actually have to protect it 24/24 seven days per week ? This will result in people doing ridiculous things, like forming 24h active squads protecting bases full time lol

I once had two barrels with nice loot hidden in some ruins, they were never spotted in a week somehow. I think thats only base worth building haha

Maybe bases would benefit in some specific gameplay modes which would potentially come to DayZ one day. Or as a mods if possible. I would love to have defined teams in DayZ, actual possibility to choose what you are playing for and building/protecting bases of heroes or bandits. Wouldn't it make sense ? Wasn't there mod like that in DayZ mod ?

Well in the mod they had stashes, you could hide tents under in ponds (lol) - well, for about 6 months until everyone started catching on and now barrels are basically stashes. I had some barrels hidden that never got found in a couple of months of playing. That to me is the most secure base - a built up one invites people to come and raid it and like I said above, base building needs doing right.

oh and...Bring back stashes! a hole in the ground with a cover that was hard to see as it matched the ground, held 1 or 2 weapons and 25 items.

43 minutes ago, Jex said:

Well in the mod they had stashes, you could hide tents under in ponds (lol) - well, for about 6 months until everyone started catching on and now barrels are basically stashes. I had some barrels hidden that never got found in a couple of months of playing. That to me is the most secure base - a built up one invites people to come and raid it and like I said above, base building needs doing right.

oh and...Bring back stashes! a hole in the ground with a cover that was hard to see as it matched the ground, held 1 or 2 weapons and 25 items.

Speaking of ponds, rivers we need more..... The people of cherno want to fish sometime...... and what happened to the awesome sport of fly fishing?

• Like 2

On 25/5/2017 at 3:14 PM, sneakydude said:

Would be cool if they slowly started to look weathered down, and needed repair. Rotting wood and fences falling apart. Overtime it would look like a rotting pile of wood. But Meh, that's too advanced for the team.

mods, friendo

Would be cool if you had to have real life construction engineering knowledge and do proper calculations and designs in order to build strong structures, I would be really happy to spend hours calculating if 100x150x5000 wooden beam will bear the loads, or I should have to choose 120x180x5000 beam for more strength. Maybe 5meter span is too big, and I should make 4meters span, - hold on, where are my eurocodes... Hardest part would be calculating loads, and then quitting DayZ to launch STAAD to check stresses in elements.

Next question would be how to lift 100x150x5000 beam into designed place, if we would assume that wood materials we have aren't soaked wet, and density is 600kg for cubic meter, then it would weight 75kg. I assume it would be difficult to lift alone and fix in difficult location. Then we should impregnate it (or before lifting to projected location). 

Then imagine you would like to build a structure under ground, oh my.... really difficult calculations, you have to know each layer of the ground, and their properties, you have to ensure ventilation.... 

If you want a realistic game of course lol

18 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

If you want a realistic game of course lol

Building a complete structure from scratch can never be realistic. You would invest hundreds of hours building your base only to have it destroyed or penetrated in minutes.

Thats the reality, man. Sooo you say, that it is not worth to spend time to build a base.

We are speculating about things we do not know yet. Which mechanics the devs will insert are not known to us so far. Now to say it will be too elaborate or too easy to destroy is pure speculation. We are still missing the meaning of a base so far, a base is only seen from the PvP aspect, maybe we will learn completely new aspects in order to see the meaning of a base.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

Thats the reality, man. Sooo you say, that it is not worth to spend time to build a base.

Realistic base building will eventually devolve into a base raiding mess because of offline raiding. Abandoned bases everywhere. I am only basing my judgement on every other survival game with base building on the market. As Squeezorz says, though, we have to see how the devs decide to implement base building and raiding.

I speculate that bases will need completely new game mode, otherwise only few greater player groups will make use of them. And at the end of the day game will be worth playing only if you'll have a bunch of your friends with you, being lonewolf already feels pointless. LIRIK once said in a stream while doing pvp in old NOVO map: "It is F***ING 10/10 map", and then he said "Who the F**K plays DayZ alone" :D Wise guy.

And novo is not 10/10 anymore and everybody are playing alone lol. However, I might be wrong about NOVO, nothing really happens there, so hard to say.

Edited by Mantasisg

5 minutes ago, scriptfactory said:

Realistic base building will eventually devolve into a base raiding mess because of offline raiding. Abandoned bases everywhere. I am only basing my judgement on every other survival game with base building on the market. As Squeezorz says, though, we have to see how the devs decide to implement base building and raiding.

And what would be "unrealistic" base building ? How it would be different from regular base building ? 

Edited by Mantasisg

8 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

And what would be "unrealistic" base building ?

Unrealistic base building would be creation of bases that look like towers without a significant resource investment (i.e. time and/or materials). I think the reality aspect of building is countered by the raiding aspect of the game of every survival game. Most games counter this by creating game mechanics that allow players to keep some part of their resource investment. This is, usually, quite unrealistic.

• Purge-style base raiding: Bases can only be raiding during a certain time period.
  • Impenetrable bases: Bases are invincible when players are not online.
  • Romani bases: Bases disappear when you go offline.
  • Achilles-heel bases: Bases can only be penetrated through specific points (e.g. door locks ala Exile Mod).

At some point "unrealism" must enter the picture or players will just give up. Look at Rust and Conan Exiles.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

Hmm, never thought about that...

I agree with everything. @scriptfactory

What about situation if you log into a server, you appear in server together with your base, and you stay in that base for few hours, get crazy mad because no one ever comes, you leave base to look for "gameplay", and when you come back after some time you find that everything has been cleared out ? :D Or you come back only to find out that your base is no longer yours ? Or you spawn at one part of the map, but your base is at the other end of the map, and till you travel there you lose it ? You would be motivated to go offline only after coming back to your base, so, I guess, it is good thing, unless you would be forced to run there for 30minutes. 

Mechanics of bases are unimaginable.

Solo bases will be so useless I can't even... Even small groups bases will be very useless. 

Ant Hives type bases would work if there would be two-three player "colonies" in the server. Of course it would be totally different game then. It wouldn't be DayZ randomness anymore, it would remind war a bit more. You wouldn't need to ask who is friendly anymore, friends would be obvious. It would be obvious where to go to meet your people, and have a shared goal build and protect main base. Map is big enough to have immersive distances..... There would be so much to squeeze out of that... I don't know maybe someone is already thinking of something like that, maybe there was a mod like that, I have no idea... Obviously it wouldn't be really DayZ anymore. If not in DayZ then in some other game such gameplay mode will appear and be very successful. But DayZ would be ideal for it... who knows... if not official then maybe mod ?

I have a bit modding experience from Assetto Corsa, have been modeling some stuff, looking forward for modding possibilities of DayZ. Would really love to participate in modding something as described above. I'm not sure if there ever has been game type like that, it would be awesome.

• Like 1

I am so excited for modding to be released. But I do not see extensive realism playing into any aspect of mods that I would create.

The current idea I have for a base building mod would be as follows:

• Players can have as many tents (found commercial tents or crafted shelters) or stashes as they want. No defense for these types of storage.
  • Players can claim ownership of n buildings per hive. Loot wouldn't spawn in owned buildings.
    • I imagine ownership as hanging a picture of yourself or your clan on a wall and lighting a fire in a fireplace. Ownership could be granted to everyone on the photo. You would only own the building as long as the fire burned. People would know which buildings had occupants so they could camp those buildings waiting for a chance to break in.
  • Player-owned buildings (not shelters or tents) would be impenetrable except through doors.
  • Doors could be locked with combination locks or key-based locks. Players can create as many keys as they want for key locks they own. Key locks can be picked but this would attract zombies.

This would open up so many possibilities. Clans could own entire towns. Trade could take place through windows. Players could grow food in indoor greenhouses. Adding traps, barriers and defensive pets would make bases more defensible. Players could find generators to supply power for electric defense, light, communication (radio broadcasting networks), refrigerators, air conditioners and more.

To answer the OP; this is why I want to see base building. The opportunity to build communities and make this game about more than running through the woods scared someone will take away your hours of effort with a single bullet. It isn't realistic but would be fun as hell.

• Beans 1

I would love to travel by bus from own clan base to other calns base and do a massive fight lol

Of course it would be possible to do, even only by setting a server rules. But you have to have a server, and that servers community with a lot of regulars to get things going.... It would really work only with specific game mode. 

I will never be interested in building a base for myself, but would be interested in building big base with other 10-50 players. Imagine 100 people server with two specific calns in that server where each would be building huge bases, or fortifying entire towns, and attacking each other.

Clans could own entire towns.

To answer the OP; this is why I want to see base building. The opportunity to build communities and make this game about more than running through the woods scared someone will take away your hours of effort with a single bullet. It isn't realistic but would be fun as hell.

Yes, exactly that. I don't know about smokes, pictures on the windows, ownerships, trades through windows.... but having whole town under control, or some secret forest place, or both would be epic. It would be weird to never get that from DayZ, it should happen.

Edited by Mantasisg
  • Like 2

maybe in some modding,i would like to see that how the game works and how the gameplay change if base would bring a spawnpoint.
spawnpoint would vanish when "leader" is killed.
so when all the metals,wood,blueprints,greenhouses,water purification systems,electricity,nails,etc...all the 30 things for "the base" are gathered and manufactured
the base could provide spawnpoint and one player become "leader".
but also vanilla servers bases should provide something that you cannot have anywhere else...maybe unbreakable storage...maybe there could be a leader also...when leader is dead,base comes breakable.
maybe too gamey.

• Like 1

@ Kopo79 in Mods is certainly an idea, on Vanilla by no means. Basebuilding will have a very different value on the Pulic hives in contrast to private hives. On private hives with WL, quite different aspects will be added. On the Vanilla Public will not (I hope) a basis your problem, but your survival in the first place.

A spawn point? unbreakable storage figures easy mode crap IMO. you shouldn't have a spawn point at all anywhere other than the one provided at the coast. unbreakable storage oh so you can stockpile weapons without worry eh? I don't think so so you want to be like rust or H1Z1 just sit in your tower and snipe folks then if they kill you spawn in your base re gear from your protected bullshit storage and proceed to kill, oh but your idea of a leader oh he never comes out to play always hides. go play H1 or rust. This base building needs to be like the rest of the damn game no safety without numbers or a good setup with security. I'm sure once modding comes you can have your donation protected base with a fucking forcefield like epoch had with a protected bullshit safe and a apache helicopter. vanilla better be an authentic experience none of this epoch h1z1 rust style bullshit.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 2

yeah,im just brainstorming here...but havent seen any good ideas that why i would set up base.what i benefit from the base?
i can set up electricity and set  refrigerator to store food there?....no,i go and find chicken and eat it...done.
i can set up some water system in my base?...air conditioners?.....just go well and drink or if you are feeling hot,go swim.
why bother to find truck,gather materials,spend hours to build base when its not giving you nothing?i can have everything in the wild.

i think that there is some exambles in game what reveals the ingame thinking allready for most of the people....why go fish?you can eat apples,why search knife,you can craft stoneknife in seconds,why search matches,handdrill kit in seconds.
why do anything in hardway,when you can do everything easyway.

3 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

but havent seen any good ideas that why i would set up base.what i benefit from the base?

Thats because there is none. There will never be any logic in building a base alone, you'll have to have big group of people. Ideally server with clans system, which is not presented in DayZ (hopefully is visioned) and exists only in my imagination now.... So there are always somebody from the "clan" at the base, or at least online. Hopefully. Theoretically it would be possible to set up clans in passworded servers and have same thing, but this requires successful server with a decent traffic, and serious administrating, so nobody will ignore "clans" thing, or do funny things... To put in short - without game mode, it could be done only by trusted players.

If you want to do solo or small group base, there will never be a better base than few smallest tents and barrels placed wisely and placed in decent distances from each other in order to be difficult to spot, or even only few barrels, as tents doesn't have "ghile suit" on them and are always easy to spot. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kopo79 said:

yeah,im just brainstorming here...but havent seen any good ideas that why i would set up base.what i benefit from the base?
i can set up electricity and set  refrigerator to store food there?....no,i go and find chicken and eat it...done.
i can set up some water system in my base?...air conditioners?.....just go well and drink or if you are feeling hot,go swim.
why bother to find truck,gather materials,spend hours to build base when its not giving you nothing?i can have everything in the wild.

i think that there is some exambles in game what reveals the ingame thinking allready for most of the people....why go fish?you can eat apples,why search knife,you can craft stoneknife in seconds,why search matches,handdrill kit in seconds.
why do anything in hardway,when you can do everything easyway.

There is only a couple reasons why you would care to build a small, or larger base.

1. Clan, guild, trader, RP events, for a larger type trader.

2. Full storage, hording, safety net, a place to simply call home.

It boils down to mainly how you want to play the game, without this option Dayz can be boring by itself. The base building, hording of supplies, collecting of supplies, bettering your character and way of life, is the only benefit. It becomes an End Game type of game. Without some Roll playing events, and modding we have nothing at all in any one of these games to put in 500+ hours.

Due to EA, most of us already have gotten our moneys worth, and played 1000-5000 hours. Some of us tested, some of us just simply played it. So you get the feeling all survival games get boring after awhile.

Like some of us we played Arma 2, Arma 3 modded survival games. There really isn't anything special about any of them.

The reasons why most would keep playing them, is the survival, searching and building. There is no end game unless you create it. PVP is the end game for some, survival between the PVP gives others that feeling of accomplishment.

Then we have Role Playing... it is a completely different type of game play.

If you solo it, it can become x10 more boring since you have to do it all yourself. Grouping up with friends, and randoms and accomplishing something more then simply drinking and eating but building a base and defend it, can be fun.

im not sure how people think about realism over gameplay or other way around thoughts
brainstorming again...
what if wells and greenhouses dont exist in chernarus anymore?...maybe few wells with good water and few with bad...and all those greenhouses are vanished....maybe one or two somewhere.
(in future you can boil the water)

greenhouses would be buildable in your base and what you plant there,grow much faster than in nature...in nature growing vegetables should take for ages and maybe all food could be ruined.
inside base,in greenhouse or just plot field everything will grow faster and more secure.

and fresh water....
maybe somekind of dynamic event,few fresh water fountains could appear in server.if you find it and place is good,set up base around it.
maybe too difficult and hassle....but bases could provide place where grow food much faster than the wild and also fresh water.